Jump to content
  • Podcast:      

Tinks

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - HARLEY BENNELL

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Harley Bennell my take "WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER"

Bring it ONNNNNNN!😀🥰🤩

Social mixing can't come soon enough for you, by the looks of it picket.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He keeps ticking boxes and that’s all we can ask of him. 

If he ends up debuting against the Blues it could be one of the most anticipated debuts from a Melbourne player in a long time. And it’ll be in front of no one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Help me out here...

Tim Watson says “ben-NELL”, whereas the reporter immediately calls him “BEN-nell”. 
 

Which one was correct? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mel Bourne said:

Help me out here...

Tim Watson says “ben-NELL”, whereas the reporter immediately calls him “BEN-nell”. 
 

Which one was correct? 

It's Bè-ne-ëll.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

Help me out here...

Tim Watson says “ben-NELL”, whereas the reporter immediately calls him “BEN-nell”. 
 

Which one was correct? 

 

50 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

We are the Dees who say Nl

If he's out there kicking goals for us we will be screaming it BENNELLLLL you bloody beauty!  (....most likely in our living rooms!).

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

If he's out there kicking goals for us we will be screaming it BENNELLLLL you bloody beauty!  (....most likely in our living rooms!).

Damn. You've re-ignited the debate Balls. "Do you want to see Bennell kick 5 and pick up 30 possessions in a Norm Smith granny with no crowd?" No crowd screaming and mexican waving a Beeeeeee-NNnnnneeeeellllllll chant in the last 5 mins before the siren and rendition of a grand old flag as our players embrace as premiers. 😄😄

Nice thought.

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Demonic said:

Damn. You've re-ignited the debate Balls. "Do you want to see Bennell kick 5 and pick up 30 possessions in a Norm Smith granny with no crowd?" No crowd screaming and mexican waving a Beeeeeee-NNnnnneeeeellllllll chant in the last 5 mins before the siren and rendition of a grand old flag as our players embrace as premiers. 😄😄

Nice thought.

In all seriousness by October or November or whenever the Grand Final takes place, we'd surely then be able to gather in crowds. You're talking 5 months away. We're two months into restrictions and already slowly rolling them back. My money is on fans returning to games in some capacity this season, at the very least with a seat between each patron.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is going to be a bit like

If a goal (tree) is scored (falls in a forest) and nobody Cheers it (hears it) was it really scored (did it really fall)

and in the end. Does it really matter.     Definitely not as much as other years but better than losing.   But I cannot see any supporters at anything until there is a viable vaccine.

 

Go Dees     Go Harley    Go Kossy     something good to think about !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, praha said:

In all seriousness by October or November or whenever the Grand Final takes place, we'd surely then be able to gather in crowds. You're talking 5 months away. We're two months into restrictions and already slowly rolling them back. My money is on fans returning to games in some capacity this season, at the very least with a seat between each patron.

Yes, you think it would be under consideration after this bracket even... you bring along your own plastic person to hug safely.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So is it BEN-nell or ben-NELL?

Or does nobody know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mel Bourne said:

So is it BEN-nell or ben-NELL?

Or does nobody know?

I'm going with H bomb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, praha said:

In all seriousness by October or November or whenever the Grand Final takes place, we'd surely then be able to gather in crowds. You're talking 5 months away. We're two months into restrictions and already slowly rolling them back. My money is on fans returning to games in some capacity this season, at the very least with a seat between each patron.

Can't see it happening.

I wouldn't even bet on the season finishing yet...

The next month will tell the story.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mel Bourne said:

So is it BEN-nell or ben-NELL?

Or does nobody know?

What’s the difference? Are we yelling the part that’s in capitals?

Edited by Ethan Tremblay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, praha said:

In all seriousness by October or November or whenever the Grand Final takes place, we'd surely then be able to gather in crowds. You're talking 5 months away. We're two months into restrictions and already slowly rolling them back. My money is on fans returning to games in some capacity this season, at the very least with a seat between each patron.

only if wearing full ppe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

only if wearing full ppe

I'll meet you at gate 3, dc.

Here's a pic for you to find me (going with the new training jumper colours)

images (1) (7).jpeg

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Pates said:

He keeps ticking boxes and that’s all we can ask of him. 

If he ends up debuting against the Blues it could be one of the most anticipated debuts from a Melbourne player in a long time. And it’ll be in front of no one!

Fully agreed. Endurance, injury-wise, is what we need of him in the first instance; in the second instance, it is a matter of conceding Harley's exceptional talent in the game of footy because - even at half strength, his improving state of readiness , and in whatever will be his role for the team - it is far better than most of the players that our coaching team can put onto the field. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, praha said:

In all seriousness by October or November or whenever the Grand Final takes place, we'd surely then be able to gather in crowds. You're talking 5 months away. We're two months into restrictions and already slowly rolling them back. My money is on fans returning to games in some capacity this season, at the very least with a seat between each patron.

Cannot see it happening praha.  With all of the talk of a 2nd wave of infections being expected, coupled with the fact that a vaccine is nowhere in sight anytime soon, they will not wish to tempt fate by having crowds at the footy.  Imagine if a cluster appeared that was traced back to a big game at the MCG (and that could mean hundreds, not just a handful of cases - think Ruby Princess); that would be the end of football games being played live in front of crowds for a loooooong time.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the permitted crowds... say one third of usual.... there's no money in it for the arenas or the clubs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hardtack said:

Cannot see it happening praha.  With all of the talk of a 2nd wave of infections being expected, coupled with the fact that a vaccine is nowhere in sight anytime soon, they will not wish to tempt fate by having crowds at the footy.  Imagine if a cluster appeared that was traced back to a big game at the MCG (and that could mean hundreds, not just a handful of cases - think Ruby Princess); that would be the end of football games being played live in front of crowds for a loooooong time.

I can hardback (see it happening). In fact I will be surprised if it doesn't.

Going to the football will be relatively low risk. Easy to limit crowd and enforce social distancing (e.g. mandatory four seat spacing, no food or bars, no members dining, stagger entry, temperature tests at entry, maybe even mandatory installation of the covid app etc etc) and critically is outdoors.

Transmission appears to primarily have been in clusters, certainly in Australia. There has been almost none here where there has been random, fleeting contact. Which is why the case in QLD in the news today is causing consternation for official (How did he get it?)

All the clusters here (and seemingly most in other countries) have been in environments where people have shared space for a good chunk of time indoors (weddings, work places, cruise ships, family homes, restaurants .

We had covid in the community at likely a higher level in say early March to mid May than we do now. In that period, just prior to the restrictions we had 95k people at the world cup,  mutiple outdoor music festivals (I was at one) and concerts etc. When the restrictions came in - and close to the peak - thousands crushed into supermarkets to panic buy.

I'm not down playing risk and fully support the restrictions and the need for social distancing and cleaning etc but the fact that there seems to have been very little community transmission in those environments in that period suggests they are relatively low risk. Not no no risk of course. 

In July we will have thousands of people back on public transport and working from offices. That is high risk. Compared to that football is low risk. Again not no risk but with mitigation stratgies and ability to respond quickly  test and isolate, an acceptable risk.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, binman said:

I can hardback (see it happening). In fact I will be surprised if it doesn't.

Going to the football will be relatively low risk. Easy to limit crowd and enforce social distancing (e.g. mandatory four seat spacing, no food or bars, no members dining, stagger entry, temperature tests at entry, maybe even mandatory installation of the covid app etc etc) and critically is outdoors.

Transmission appears to primarily have been in clusters, certainly in Australia. There has been almost none here where there has been random, fleeting contact. Which is why the case in QLD in the news today is causing consternation for official (How did he get it?)

All the clusters here (and seemingly most in other countries) have been in environments where people have shared space for a good chunk of time indoors (weddings, work places, cruise ships, family homes, restaurants .

We had covid in the community at likely a higher level in say early March to mid May than we do now. In that period, just prior to the restrictions we had 95k people at the world cup,  mutiple outdoor music festivals (I was at one) and concerts etc. When the restrictions came in - and close to the peak - thousands crushed into supermarkets to panic buy.

I'm not down playing risk and fully support the restrictions and the need for social distancing and cleaning etc but the fact that there seems to have been very little community transmission in those environments in that period suggests they are relatively low risk. Not no no risk of course. 

In July we will have thousands of people back on public transport and working from offices. That is high risk. Compared to that football is low risk. Again not no risk but with mitigation stratgies and ability to respond quickly  test and isolate, an acceptable risk.

Part of me hopes you're right binman, but I really don't think the AFL will be willing to risk it until after the anticipated 2nd wave has occurred, because one cluster could potentially set them back even further then the position they are currently in as it would mean the complete and indefinite abandonment of the competition.  Next year, yes, but not yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hardtack said:

Part of me hopes you're right binman, but I really don't think the AFL will be willing to risk it until after the anticipated 2nd wave has occurred, because one cluster could potentially set them back even further then the position they are currently in as it would mean the complete and indefinite abandonment of the competition.  Next year, yes, but not yet.

If there is serious second wave that leads to widespread community transmission then we will go back to lock down and everything will be off, not just football. But widespread community transmission is relatively unlikely whilst we have our borders closed and they have the capacity to test, trace and isolate (remembering they can do this so much better now than 3 months ago)

Second wave or not infections will happen in the community. 100%. But they are now controllable and are very unlikely to trigger mass infection. :Look at the cider meats clusters. Such was their confidence they could contain that and find everyone who might have become infected they still went forward with the next phase of lifting restrictions.

At the footy they could make sure each ticket had an allocated seats and require members or ticket holders to provide their full contact details. And if someone tested positive immediately contact everyone in their bay, stand or even the whole ground. Compare that to say the train. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back on track people. It is about HB not crowds. Just trust HB has pulled up well today and ready for the next session.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reread page 1 of this thread, ample servings of humble pie coming up. 

  • Like 4
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    NORTH OF THE BORDER by The Oracle

    The outcomes of Melbourne’s recent games against the Gold Coast Suns are a pretty good barometer of how the teams are faring. The Demons easily accounted for them twice in 2018, the last win being a 96-point cakewalk at the MCG in Round 20 when they scored a whopping 21.17.143 to 7.5.47. Ironically, Melbourne’s score of 9.3.57 at the first break that afternoon is leading its highest score for a full game to date this year by 3 points. In those days, they played fast, skillful football, moved th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 5

    PACK YOUR BAGS by George on The Outer

    The scene was captured by the TV camera’s before the match with a view of the Melbourne side’s bags packed next to the team bus to facilitate their flight up north to the AFL hub where they will play their next matches. However, on the basis of the efforts against Richmond, unless things change, and change rapidly, there will be some who will be told to pack their bags on a more permanent basis. Once again, the supporters got much the same story from this match against Richmond, as

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SOUTH OF THE BORDER by the Oracle

    Thankfully they moved this week’s game from Sydney where the sun shines and the virus breeds ever so slowly and almost nobody returns a positive test. The change of fixture comes at precisely the right time to allow everyone in town to head to the MCG on Sunday at around 3:30pm, not to catch up with what’s going on inside the ground but rather, to do what’s fashionable for woke folk in 2020 — pulling down statues. It’s time for Kevin Bartlett and Leigh Matthews to go but you can’t touch Norm Smi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    LESSONS IN LOSING by George on the Outer

    Turn up for the game and look like you want to win it.  Melbourne lost this game to Geelong, a game after a couple of extended breaks, looking like they were at the end of a 22 game season. Right from the start there was a lack of intensity across the board, as the Demons played exactly the type of game that the ageing Geelong list wanted. Geelong repeatedly played possession footy, to avoid having to run those ageing legs, something that Melbourne failed to exploit.  To use the oft quot

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    QUARRANTINO by Whispering Jack

    At a little after 4.00pm last Saturday, the MCG ceased to be the centre of the AFL universe. That was when the AFL’s el supremo Gil McLaughlin announced that the Bombers’ Conor McKenna had returned a COVID-19 positive result and declared that the game set for the following day between Essendon and Melbourne was postponed.  What followed was truly the stuff of a pulp fiction novel. We witnessed a suitcase load of mental gymnastics and spin calculated to let McKenna (and the Essendon Football

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHADDA WE SING? by Whispering Jack

    When the Melbourne team sang “The Grand Old Flag” last Saturday at Marvel Stadium in the absence of skipper Max Gawn, Ed Langford and Adam Tomlinson who were first time winners at their new club and Jayden Hunt, the leading goal kicker of the day it was passed off as an honest mistake. Taken in isolation, it most probably was accidental but the problem is that little accidents have been happening far too often in the club’s recent history and, in this case, it was symptomatic not only of a day t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A POINT OF DIFFERENCE by George on the Outer

    It was Melbourne v Carlton at the comics stadium; a game between 16 and 17 in 2019. How could anyone pick a winner?  There had to be a point of difference, and so it would prove to be as the Demons literally fell over the line at the end, by a solitary point. In an almost complete replica of the Richmond v Collingwood game two nights previously, one of the sides (Melbourne in this case) rushed out to a five goal lead in the first quarter, while the Blues failed to bother the goal umpir

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    EXPOSED FORM by The Oracle

    Carlton fancies itself to beat Melbourne at Marvel Stadium on Saturday and, based on exposed form, why not? The Blues took it right up to the reigning premiers in their last up start and the Demons were simply horrible against the Eagles at Optus Stadium. That opening game of the season revived all of the nightmares of 2019 for a team that went inside the 50 metre arc 45 times, an advantage of 10 times over the home side and yet lost by almost five goals. Such statistics sum it up for a gam

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    SOCIAL DISTANCING by George on the Outer

    It was good to see the MFC players practicing the directives about social distancing at the game against West Coast.  Pity was that they continued to do so after the first bounce of the ball, as they allowed numerous WCE players run around un-hindered, with not a Melbourne player within 1.5 metres of them! They then found themselves looking at nearly a 5 goal deficit at the first break, which was to be essentially the final margin for the game. It is difficult to judge exactly what is going

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BEST IN SHOW by Whispering Jack

    I am writing this knowing that the AFL has deemed that the opening round of competition will proceed but fully believing that it should not.  The world is going through cataclysmic change as a result of the overwhelming spread of the Covid-19 virus and I agree that a distraction like sport would be good for the public. However, while the physical threat to the population is bad enough, there are other  issues to be addressed including the mental health of the community and the effects on th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    TASSIE DEVILS by Van Demon

    If you were looking for something new from the Demons that wasn’t there last year, you didn’t have to look further than the perfectly trimmed grass surface of UTAS Stadium last night as the team steamrolled the Hawks to record a comprehensive 32-point victory to complete their Marsh Community Series commitments for 2020. One new thing was the fact that for the second Marsh game in a row, the team finished full of running and they dominated the second half without the presence or the dominan

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SOUTH OF THE BORDER by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons will go into their final Marsh Series match with a strong lineup against the Hawks in Tasmania. Both Max Gawn and Steven May, who were recovering from injuries in first Marsh Series match, have both been named. It is unclear whether Max will be on restricted minutes and will likely get breaks in the ruck with Sam Weideman and rookie Luke Jackson getting their turns in the middle. Angus Brayshaw will be getting his first taste of competitive football despite playing in last week’s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

×
×
  • Create New...