• Podcast:      

• Podcast:      

The Virus

Diamond_Jim

We shouldn't be forced to take a vaccine, don't we live in a democratic country ?  If you support D.Andrews or believe what is said then go ahead and take the vaccine. Strangely why didn't we all  take the flu vaccine ? Why not a Ebola vax ? . I do think we secretly had an anti opinion wax , no body is alloed to make comments on facebook etc.

15 minutes ago, COOLX said:

We shouldn't be forced to take a vaccine, don't we live in a democratic country ?  If you support D.Andrews or believe what is said then go ahead and take the vaccine. Strangely why didn't we all  take the flu vaccine ? Why not a Ebola vax ? . I do think we secretly had an anti opinion wax , no body is alloed to make comments on facebook etc.

Er...right. Thanks for that.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, demonstone said:

Fact:  total COVID deaths in Victoria:  820.

Better luck next time, kid.  Have fun on the school holidays.  High school next year?

Oh I get it, so you aren't including the suicides as a direct result of Comrade Dans draconian lockdowns.

Figured you would ignore them, I have noticed a pattern that Andrews worshipers do not value human life in the slightest. Hence you going out of your way to point out it was 'only' 820 deaths.

Edited by Pickett2Jackson
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

Oh I get it, so you aren't including the suicides as a direct result of Comrade Dans draconian lockdowns.

Figured you would ignore them, I have noticed a pattern that Andrews worshipers do not value human life in the slightest. Hence you going out of your way to point out it was 'only' 820 deaths.

Suicides have not increased during Covid-19.

"In Australia, data on suspected suicides in 2020 have been released for Victoria, Queensland and New South Wales from their respective suicide registers. In all cases there is no evidence to date of any increase relative to previous years."

https://www.aihw.gov.au/suicide-self-harm-monitoring/data/covid-19

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mauriesy said:

Suicides have not increased during Covid-19.

"In Australia, data on suspected suicides in 2020 have been released for Victoria, Queensland and New South Wales from their respective suicide registers. In all cases there is no evidence to date of any increase relative to previous years."

https://www.aihw.gov.au/suicide-self-harm-monitoring/data/covid-19

I know for a fact suicides have increased in Vic.  Just go and ask any police officer. 

Data from a government website is worthless unfortunately.

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 2

19 minutes ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

You poor, confused little child.  If you had only taken the time to do a basic search, you would find that I have never posted anything about Daniel Andrews.  Your assumptions serve only to make an @ss out of you and you.

Now get mummy to make you a nice warm glass of milk, tuck you in tightly and read you a goodnight story.  Only three more sleeps until Santa comes.

Edited by demonstone
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

37 minutes ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

I believe you have the actual 'Suicide' figures: go on, please enlighten us...

20 minutes ago, demonstone said:

You poor, confused little child.  If you had only taken the time to do a basic search, you would find that I have never posted anything about Daniel Andrews.  Your assumptions serve only to make an @ss out of you and you.

Now get mummy to make you a nice warm glass of milk, tuck you in tightly and read you a goodnight story.  Only three more sleeps until Santa comes.

Got news for you, demonstone: there ain't no f...kin Sanity Klause...

19 minutes ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

I know for a fact suicides have increased in Vic.  Just go and ask any police officer. 

Data from a government website is worthless unfortunately.

The data on that government website comes from State police stats! 🤣

In the "lockdown versus the economy" Covid-19 debate, the right-wing media have long dismissed deaths as being unimportant or irrelevant because they were all "old people who were going to die anyway" (of co-morbid conditions). Now when they want to take aim at Andrews, they're important apparently.

Meanwhile, I think Gladys needs to go. Victoria got a case from NSW today, first non-quarantine case in 51 days. NSW's numbers are now about the same as Victoria's were a few days into the second wave. It was OK to close the Victorian border from NSW at that stage, and create hardship for border communities without planning for permits. Now she thinks Victoria closing the NSW border is an "overreaction". And she still won't mandate masks, even in the northern beaches.

She also said today that "an escape of Coronavirus from quarantine is inevitable".

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Gatherings down to 15 in Victoria ... should be 5 as it should be in NSW.  Masks should be mandatory as well (outdoors also) For at least a week or 2.

Neither side of politics have a clue ... I'm baffled as to why anyone could ever be rusted on to the left or right.  Incompetency reigns

This virus is highly highly contageous and if it spreads again the governments will be to blame.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Macca said:

Gatherings down to 15 in Victoria ... should be 5 as it should be in NSW.  Masks should be mandatory as well (outdoors also) For at least a week or 2.

Neither side of politics have a clue ... I'm baffled as to why anyone could ever be rusted on to the left or right.  Incompetency reigns

This virus is highly highly contageous and if it spreads again the governments will be to blame.

I'm not rusted either way - more rusty due to osteoarthritis - but it really makes my blood boil that despite the Ruby Princess Fiasco, the moron Scomo dubbed NSW as The Gold Standard, and now we have the inevitable afterglow of the recent irresponsibility by Gladys Gold. More like Gladys Staph, if you ask me...

1 hour ago, dieter said:

I'm not rusted either way - more rusty due to osteoarthritis - but it really makes my blood boil that despite the Ruby Princess Fiasco, the moron Scomo dubbed NSW as The Gold Standard, and now we have the inevitable afterglow of the recent irresponsibility by Gladys Gold. More like Gladys Staph, if you ask me...

After the first mini lockdown (March/April) we went straight to gatherings of 20 people ... big mistake and many were saying as much at the time (including me)

Soon after we had to go to stage 4 restrictions for 6 months or thereabouts

Governments just can't make tough decisions on either side of politics.  They've got their fingers crossed in NSW and in Victoria we wait until the proverbial hits the fan. 

Overseas trends is the data so what are we doing?  Hoping for the best?

And they are playing a Test match in front of 25,000 in Sydney?!  Madness

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Macca said:

After the first mini lockdown (March/April) we went straight to gatherings of 20 people ... big mistake and many were saying as much at the time (including me)

Soon after we had to go to stage 4 restrictions for 6 months or thereabouts

Governments just can't make tough decisions on either side of politics.  They've got their fingers crossed in NSW and in Victoria we wait until the proverbial hits the fan. 

Overseas trends is the data so what are we doing?  Hoping for the best?

And they are playing a Test match in front of 25,000 in Sydney?!  Madness

The Test Match has Scomeo and Gladys' Ruby Princess and the Hillsong Gathering fiascos written all over it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dieter said:

The Test Match has Scomeo and Gladys' Ruby Princess and the Hillsong Gathering fiascos written all over it

If you truly don't lean left or right you should castigate the left more often

As it stands,  85% of your vitriol is pointed at the right.  Don't take that too personally as it is just an observation,  not necessarily a judgement

And I often agree with your vitriol towards the right

The labor government down here in Victoria keeps making errors that are costly.  We should have closed the border with NSW a week or so ago (when they got their outbreak)

The Liberal government of South Australia has closed its border to NSW ... a bit late as they should have made that decision earlier

Anyway,  Happy New Year Deits!

The right's silence with regards to the non secured quarantining of air crew returning from COVID hotspots has been deafening!!

They were all over Andrews, yet here they are condoning 25k attending a test match at a time when locally transmitted cases are on the increase.  Local transmission that was, funnily enough, started thanks to the previously mentioned failure to quarantine air crew.  And let's not forget that Gladys breached her own quarantine rules... gold standard my arze... fool's gold more like it.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Macca said:

If you truly don't lean left or right you should castigate the left more often

As it stands,  85% of your vitriol is pointed at the right.  Don't take that too personally as it is just an observation,  not necessarily a judgement

And I often agree with your vitriol towards the right

The labor government down here in Victoria keeps making errors that are costly.  We should have closed the border with NSW a week or so ago (when they got their outbreak)

The Liberal government of South Australia has closed its border to NSW ... a bit late as they should have made that decision earlier

Anyway,  Happy New Year Deits!

For the record, I haven't voted Labor since Beasley said not a boo word when Reith and Howard lied through their gills about Children Overboard. 

I guess it just so happens that I do find more fault with the greedy, lying retrobates who are a normal part and function of Lib/National Governments. So you're spot on, at least 85% of my vitriol is aimed at the Neo-Fascists who are ruining our country.

You're so right that Border Closures should have been implemented ages ago.

And, for the record, it's Diets...Eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we diet.

21 minutes ago, hardtack said:

The right's silence with regards to the non secured quarantining of air crew returning from COVID hotspots has been deafening!!

They were all over Andrews, yet here they are condoning 25k attending a test match at a time when locally transmitted cases are on the increase.  Local transmission that was, funnily enough, started thanks to the previously mentioned failure to quarantine air crew.  And let's not forget that Gladys breached her own quarantine rules... gold standard my arze... fool's gold more like it.

Gold Standard - more like Golden Staph.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

I notice you never mention the Black Lives Matter protests gleefully given the go ahead by Daniel Andrews in the middle of a pandemic.

Here's why, sweetheart:

Also, if you bother to read it, there was no lockdown in Melbourne on the 6th JUne.

FACT CHECK

There's still no evidence Black Lives Matter protesters caused Melbourne COVID-19 surge

RMIT ABC Fact Check

Posted FriFriday 24 JulJuly 2020 at 9:24am, updated FriFriday 24 JulJuly 2020 at 1:22pm
Graphic of coronavirus blob with spikes with the header CoronaCheck
RMIT ABC Fact Check presents the latest debunked misinformation on COVID-19.(RMIT ABC Fact Check)
  •  
  •  

CoronaCheck is RMIT ABC Fact Check's weekly email newsletter dedicated to fighting the misinformation infodemic surrounding the coronavirus outbreak.

You can read the latest edition below, and subscribe to have the next newsletter delivered straight to your inbox.

CoronaCheck #31

With a court hearing over a Black Lives Matter protest planned for Sydney next week, and renewed media coverage of a similar rally held in Melbourne back in June, we've revisited our previous reporting on the protest's supposed links to a surge in coronavirus cases in Victoria.

We've also got more information on masks, which are now mandatory in Melbourne, and check in with US President Donald Trump and his newfound love of beans.

In this edition:

Explaining the Black Lives Matter 'links' to Melbourne's coronavirus surge

Suggestions of a link between a Black Lives Matter rally held in Melbourne on June 6 and an outbreak of coronavirus cases in public housing towers continue to spread, with NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller this week adding fuel to the fire.

Speaking on Sydney radio station 2GB before a court hearing on a Black Lives Matter protest planned for Sydney next week, Commissioner Fuller said that based on "some pretty good intelligence out of Victoria" he knew "how dangerous these protests can be in terms of health".

"From our perspective it was obviously big numbers in Victoria, a number of people who came to the protest were living in those vertical towers so that certainly is enough for me."

Police Commissioner Mick Fuller speaks at a press conference
NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller.(AAP: Joel Carrett)

But in a statement to the ABC last week, the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) said that of the six protesters who subsequently tested positive to COVID-19, none were known to live in a "major public housing complex".

Commissioner Fuller's remarks come in the wake of a report in The Australian that Victorian health authorities had "confirmed a link between two COVID-19 cases in people who attended the Black Lives Matter protest and the cluster of at least 242 cases in public housing towers in the city's inner northwest".

"While the confirmation stops short of establishing the protest as a cause of the public housing megacluster, it demonstrates clear links between the mass gathering, attendees who tested positive, and the state's largest COVID-19 cluster to date," The Australian said.

According to the report, two Northland H&M employees who tested positive for COVID-19 attended the protests. These workers formed part of a larger cluster of coronavirus cases initially named as the H&M cluster but later reclassified as the North Melbourne family cluster.

Days since the last reported case of COVID-19

NSW

QLD

SA

VIC

NT

WA

ACT

TAS

Last updated 16:12 PM AEST on Thursday, December 31

It is the North Melbourne family cluster which the DHHS said was linked to the outbreak in the North Melbourne housing tower.

"Cases linked to the North Melbourne towers have links to other cases across Melbourne, including the North Melbourne family outbreak," The Australian quotes a DHHS spokesman as saying.

"It is not clear which direction the virus was transmitted in. In many cases, we will never know for sure how large clusters began and the order in which the virus spread."

The Australian's report prompted former Victorian opposition leader Matthew Guy to suggest Fact Check issue a correction on a past CoronaCheck newsletter, published in June, which queried the evidence for assertions about links between the protests and the surge in cases.

"[The DHHS] continues to report that the current burst of cases does not stem from the rally," Fact Check said at the time.

"They have said that while one protester "may have been infectious at the rally", two others who have since tested positive for COVID-19 were not infectious at the rally, nor is there evidence they contracted the virus at the rally."

The DHHS statement last week maintains that there is "no evidence to suggest" any person contracted COVID-19 at the protest.

The report in The Australian, as well as similar reports from other news sites, were shared widely, including by Senator Pauline Hanson, Victorian federal Liberal MP Jason Wood and Avi Yemini, a far-right figure with 115,000 Twitter followers.

Fact Check found no evidence that a follow up report from the Australian, which clarified that the DHHS said there was no evidence that the six protesters who had tested positive for COVID-19 had acquired the virus at the rally, was shared by Senator Hanson or Mr Wood. Mr Yemini dismissed the report in a tweet.

LIVE UPDATES: Read our blog for the latest news on the COVID-19 pandemic.

Outdated advice masking the facts

Commentators and social media activists are using out-of-date advice on the use of masks to peddle misinformation in the wake of the Victorian Government's announcement that face coverings would be mandatory for residents of lockdown areas.

On Sunday, Herald Sun columnist Andrew Bolt questioned whether there was any medical basis to the decision to make masks mandatory, and quoted World Health Organisation advice against the wide use of face masks in the community.

But that advice is outdated.

In a document published over three months ago, the World Health Organisation stated that "the wide use of masks by healthy people in the community setting is not supported by current evidence".

Stay up-to-date on the coronavirus outbreak

Advice published by the organisation in June, however, says that masks should be worn by the general population where there is widespread community transmission or where physical distancing cannot be adhered to, such as on public transport or in "specific working conditions".

Meanwhile, while Federal Government advice against the "routine use of masks in the community" cited by Bolt remains current, it stipulates that this is only the case while "the rate of community transmission of COVID-19 is low".

Speaking to Seven News, infectious diseases physician and microbiologist Peter Collignon said there was enough community spread in Melbourne to justify mandatory masks.

"Whenever you've got a lot of community transmission — and Melbourne seems to be in that situation at the moment — wearing masks makes a difference," Professor Collignon said.

Facebook groups popular with conspiracy theorists have also used the Federal Government advice, as well as months-old news reports, to advocate against mandatory mask wearing.

As we reported last week, a systematic review published in The Lancet in early June found that close fitting respirators could reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission by up to 95 per cent, and masks up to 67 per cent

On 20 June, the Victorian Government announced the re-tightening of restrictions on household gatherings following a spike in community transmitted cases over the previous week, reported to be mainly caused by family-to-family transmission in large household gatherings. From 22 June, households can once again only have five visitors; and most easing of restrictions that were to take place were postponed.[123] The same day restrictions were re-tightened in Victoria, the Western Australian Government announced the state would move into "Phase 4" from 27 June, permitting some of the most relaxed restrictions in the country. The listed restrictions included a reduction of the four-square-metre rule for enclosed venues to two square metres, as well as the allowance of 50% capacity limits for large venues such as Optus Stadium which seats 60,000 patrons at full capacity.[124]

On 30 June, the Victorian Government re-enforced local lockdowns across 10 different Melbourne postcodes. Residents in these postcodes had to comply with the four acceptable reasons to leave their houses: shopping for essentials; for medical or compassionate needs; exercise in compliance with the public gathering restriction of two people; and for work or education purposes.[1

2 hours ago, dieter said:

For the record, I haven't voted Labor since Beasley said not a boo word when Reith and Howard lied through their gills about Children Overboard. 

I guess it just so happens that I do find more fault with the greedy, lying retrobates who are a normal part and function of Lib/National Governments. So you're spot on, at least 85% of my vitriol is aimed at the Neo-Fascists who are ruining our country.

You're so right that Border Closures should have been implemented ages ago.

And, for the record, it's Diets...Eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we diet.

Gold Standard - more like Golden Staph.

Thought Deits made more sense than diets ... I before E except when Macca makes an executive decision!

Edited by Macca

41 minutes ago, Macca said:

Thoughts Deits made more sense than diets ... I before E except when Macca makes an executive decision!

My name, young man, is beyond anybody's executive decision: it is stated on my birth certificate that I am a Dieterich, therefore, a Dieter. One of my ex-girlfriends sent me a fridge sticker which read: The World's Greatest Dieter.

Speaking of which, a strict post-silly-sausage season  diet is urgently required.

Also, in German, ie is pronounced as in eee, ei is pronounced as in' way'...example, the number three is Drei...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dieter said:

My name, young man, is beyond anybody's executive decision: it is stated on my birth certificate that I am a Dieterich, therefore, a Dieter. One of my ex-girlfriends sent me a fridge sticker which read: The World's Greatest Dieter.

Speaking of which, a strict post-silly-sausage season  diet is urgently required.

Also, in German, ie is pronounced as in eee, ei is pronounced as in' way'...example, the number three is Drei...

If you're a real Macca, maybe you can teach me some Scottish pronunciations - I've always loved the lilt of the sound of Scots when they speak, though I've not been able to understand much of it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dieter said:

If you're a real Macca, maybe you can teach me some Scottish pronunciations - I've always loved the lilt of the sound of Scots when they speak, though I've not been able to understand much of it.

Black-Irish with some Jewish ancestry on Dad's side thrown in for good measure!  Donegal boat people from both sides came here in 1851 escaping the potato famine and looking for gold or gold-related fortune

Footnote:   The black-Irish description comes from the Persian migration across Europe in the 13th century (or thereabouts)  Other theories have a Caribbean influence that might have happened a few centuries later

25 minutes ago, Macca said:

Black-Irish with some Jewish ancestry on Dad's side thrown in for good measure!  Donegal boat people from both sides came here in 1851 escaping the potato famine and looking for gold or gold-related fortune

Footnote:   The black-Irish description comes from the Persian migration across Europe in the 13th century (or thereabouts)  Other theories have a Caribbean influence that might have happened a few centuries later

I know a Carmody, a black Irish Princess, who claims it was the Spaniards/Berbers who brought the Schwarze/Irish quotient. 

Now, if I told you, true dinks, that my very favourite accents is Irish, I swear it's true. 

Yes, we won''t talk about the Sassenachs and their evil ways.

28 minutes ago, dieter said:

I know a Carmody, a black Irish Princess, who claims it was the Spaniards/Berbers who brought the Schwarze/Irish quotient. 

Now, if I told you, true dinks, that my very favourite accents is Irish, I swear it's true. 

Yes, we won''t talk about the Sassenachs and their evil ways.

That happened (the Spanish connection) but the research I've done points to the Persian migration much earlier on being attributed to the Black-Irish characteristics.  India has a connection too as they migrated West way back when

There's all sorts of theories but nevertheless,  the Black-Irish characteristics have lived on.  Dave Allen?  Colin Farrell?  Numerous others

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1