Jump to content
  • Demonland Interviews

Lord Nev

Jackson Ready to Embrace the Challenge

Recommended Posts

Great insight into the whirlwind that these young blokes go through, as well the maturity and professionalism of Luke himself.

"We were also fortunate enough to hear from (former Port Adelaide and Carlton ruckman) Matthew Lobbe, (former Fremantle and Gold Coast midfielder) Michael Barlow and (former Victorian and Australian cricketer) Bobby Quiney on their different pathways and athlete journeys.

The stories and insights they shared with us put into perspective the journey we’re about to embark on.

Our careers won’t always go according to plan and, for some others, their first year might not be as successful as they had hoped, but I think it’s about making sure that you’re working hard, embracing the challenge and utilising the resources around you.

Hopefully I’ll be able to apply the lessons they spoke about to my own life and career."

Jackson ready to embrace the challenge

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's going to revolutionise the way the game is played.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting to hear Grundy just signed a 7 year/$7mill deal with Pies. 

I can see Jacko having many duels with him on the years to come

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, The Stigga said:

He's going to revolutionise the way the game is played.

Good to see we're all keeping our expectations in check ;) 

In the build up to the draft, I struggled to see the value in picking him at 3. On the basis of some youtube highlights and fluff pieces in the media, I'm now convinced he'll be a star. Being a footy fan does questionable things to one's psyche (especially in the off season). 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

Interesting to hear Grundy just signed a 7 year/$7mill deal with Pies. 

I can see Jacko having many duels with him on the years to come

That is a big chunk of their salary cap for the next 7 years he had better stay healthy.

This reminds me of the Buddy deal, the only way it is justifiable is if the Swans win a flag or more. So far no flags and they slipping down the ladder. 

  • Like 5
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, old dee said:

That is a big chunk of their salary cap for the next 7 years he had better stay healthy.

This reminds me of the Buddy deal, the only way it is justifiable is if the Swans win a flag or more. So far no flags and they slipping down the ladder. 

Suspect by back end of deal it''ll be a declining chunk of cap.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm  expecting him to be an absolute dud who can barely scrape a game in the twos for the first three years.

Once we've traded him to the Blues , along with a first round pick who goes on to be the next Dustin Martin ,we will watch him dominate the competition and applaud ourselves for our ability to develop raw talent.

In return we'll get a brat with two [censored] knees and a drug problem, a chronic drunk and some geriatric has been.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Accepting Mediocrity said:

Good to see we're all keeping our expectations in check ;) 

Yes indeed, the kid hasn't even kicked a ball in anger in the VFL,  as yet.

 

Let him NOT be the next Watts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Biffen said:

I'm  expecting him to be an absolute dud who can barely scrape a game in the twos for the first three years.

Once we've traded him to the Blues , along with a first round pick who goes on to be the next Dustin Martin ,we will watch him dominate the competition and applaud ourselves for our ability to develop raw talent.

In return we'll get a brat with two [censored] knees and a drug problem, a chronic drunk and some geriatric has been.

Good to see someone working on their MFCSS in the off-season. Important to keep fit.😀

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GET AROUND HIM !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Biffen said:

I'm  expecting him to be an absolute dud who can barely scrape a game in the twos for the first three years.

Once we've traded him to the Blues , along with a first round pick who goes on to be the next Dustin Martin ,we will watch him dominate the competition and applaud ourselves for our ability to develop raw talent.

In return we'll get a brat with two [censored] knees and a drug problem, a chronic drunk and some geriatric has been.

You are a sad, sad Demon, are you by any chance OD's love child?          

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2020 at 5:24 PM, Biffen said:

I'm  expecting him to be an absolute dud who can barely scrape a game in the twos for the first three years.

Once we've traded him to the Blues , along with a first round pick who goes on to be the next Dustin Martin ,we will watch him dominate the competition and applaud ourselves for our ability to develop raw talent.

In return we'll get a brat with two [censored] knees and a drug problem, a chronic drunk and some geriatric has been.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look, Biffen - I don't want to be rude but you are a negative, negative slag of a poster and maybe should be on the Blues site.

Because really, you're certainly not on our side and needn't be on our site. Have another malt or go to another site; you are a drag.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Every Game in '64 said:

Look, Biffen - I don't want to be rude but you are a negative, negative slag of a poster and maybe should be on the Blues site.

Because really, you're certainly not on our side and needn't be on our site. Have another malt or go to another site; you are a drag.

Thanks for the feedback.

Biffen Industries values your opinion greatly and wishes to direct any unwanted suggestions to our Complaints officer Helen Waite.

Please go to Helen Waite.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put a value on everyone's opinion.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a question I want to ask about Jackson and hunted out this thread and had a first look. What a cracker.  

Question for track watchers particularly those like Saty and BB who have watched a lot of the sessions.  

A lot of the talk is that when Jackson starts playing it will most likely be in the forward line. Most of the training I saw him doing for the one session I saw was with the rucks so it looked like that's mainly where he's being taught to play. Have you seen him doing much training with the forwards if that's where people think he's going to start playing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, It's Time said:

Have a question I want to ask about Jackson and hunted out this thread and had a first look. What a cracker.  

Question for track watchers particularly those like Saty and BB who have watched a lot of the sessions.  

A lot of the talk is that when Jackson starts playing it will most likely be in the forward line. Most of the training I saw him doing for the one session I saw was with the rucks so it looked like that's mainly where he's being taught to play. Have you seen him doing much training with the forwards if that's where people think he's going to start playing?

Every time I’ve seen Stafford doing ruck specific training Jackson has been with the rucks.

But otherwise I’ve seen him with the forward group and with the mids (including rucks) about 50/50. And I’ve only seen him do match sim a couple of times, both times with the forwards. Gawn has gone head to head with Preuss as the rucks.

If he gets a game early in the year I expect he’ll be the back up ruck for the 5 minutes a quarter that Gawn rests, and then will play forward for the rest of his allocated game time. If he’s good enough and physically up to playing then won’t he be our best relief ruckman option? 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Every time I’ve seen Stafford doing ruck specific training Jackson has been with the rucks.

But otherwise I’ve seen him with the forward group and with the mids (including rucks) about 50/50. And I’ve only seen him do match sim a couple of times, both times with the forwards. Gawn has gone head to head with Preuss as the rucks.

If he gets a game early in the year I expect he’ll be the back up ruck for the 5 minutes a quarter that Gawn rests, and then will play forward for the rest of his allocated game time. If he’s good enough and physically up to playing then won’t he be our best relief ruckman option? 

Thanks DeeSpencer, I meant to include you in that list of training watches. Great informed reply. Much appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2020 at 11:07 AM, old dee said:

This reminds me of the Buddy deal, the only way it is justifiable is if the Swans win a flag or more. So far no flags and they slipping down the ladder. 

OD beg to differ on Buddy's value to Swans. Membership after the 2012 flag was 35,000. Membership two years after he came to Swans was 56,000. They had to get a marquee player to protect their position for sponsorships and memberships in the Sydney market against GWS. The Swans stated a year in that he paid his entire 9 year salary within a year of going there with increased memberships and merchandise, not to mention being given much greater TV and media coverage. I used to go to the pre season intra club games to study them close up to pick up any tips for junior coaching. They used to get about 200 of us and virtually no media. The first year Buddy came there were over 2000 people, every TV channel had crews there and there were even helicopters overhead. 

They don't need to win a Premiership to justify that deal. They loaded his contract in the middle years so he's on $750k for the last 3 years. A lot less than a lot of other marquee players. He will continue to pull crowds till the end. As long as he gets on the park of course. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, It's Time said:

OD beg to differ on Buddy's value to Swans. Membership after the 2012 flag was 35,000. Membership two years after he came to Swans was 56,000. They had to get a marquee player to protect their position for sponsorships and memberships in the Sydney market against GWS. The Swans stated a year in that he paid his entire 9 year salary within a year of going there with increased memberships and merchandise, not to mention being given much greater TV and media coverage. I used to go to the pre season intra club games to study them close up to pick up any tips for junior coaching. They used to get about 200 of us and virtually no media. The first year Buddy came there were over 2000 people, every TV channel had crews there and there were even helicopters overhead. 

They don't need to win a Premiership to justify that deal. They loaded his contract in the middle years so he's on $750k for the last 3 years. A lot less than a lot of other marquee players. He will continue to pull crowds till the end. As long as he gets on the park of course. 

Kind of the opposite of Boyd who gave the Bulldogs nothing except an elusive premiership.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Wrecker45 said:

Kind of the opposite of Boyd who gave the Bulldogs nothing except an elusive premiership.

Yeh. So true. Of course we'd take the Boyd outcome. But Swans had already snared a couple and were very concerned about GWS impact in Sydney. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wrecker45 said:

beg to differ on Buddy's value to Swans. Membership after the 2012 flag was 35,000. Membership two years after he came to Swans was 56,000. They had to get a marquee player to protect their position for sponsorships and memberships in the Sydney market against GWS.

 

2 hours ago, Wrecker45 said:

They don't need to win a Premiership to justify that deal. They loaded his contract in the middle years so he's on $750k for the last 3 years. A lot less than a lot of other marquee players.

 

1 hour ago, It's Time said:

So true. Of course we'd take the Boyd outcome. But Swans had already snared a couple and were very concerned about GWS impact in Sydney.

That Buddy deal, ( although at the time, I was outraged that the Swans stole him from under GWS's noses ),  has probably worked out to be a win/win for both sides. 

Marketing wise, for the Swans, as they maintained publicity, during rebuilding.

And for GWS,  who I believe Budd would have been the wrong choice of personality,  for a young fledgling side, and club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    SOCIAL DISTANCING by George on the Outer

    It was good to see the MFC players practicing the directives about social distancing at the game against West Coast.  Pity was that they continued to do so after the first bounce of the ball, as they allowed numerous WCE players run around un-hindered, with not a Melbourne player within 1.5 metres of them! They then found themselves looking at nearly a 5 goal deficit at the first break, which was to be essentially the final margin for the game. It is difficult to judge exactly what is going

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BEST IN SHOW by Whispering Jack

    I am writing this knowing that the AFL has deemed that the opening round of competition will proceed but fully believing that it should not.  The world is going through cataclysmic change as a result of the overwhelming spread of the Covid-19 virus and I agree that a distraction like sport would be good for the public. However, while the physical threat to the population is bad enough, there are other  issues to be addressed including the mental health of the community and the effects on th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    TASSIE DEVILS by Van Demon

    If you were looking for something new from the Demons that wasn’t there last year, you didn’t have to look further than the perfectly trimmed grass surface of UTAS Stadium last night as the team steamrolled the Hawks to record a comprehensive 32-point victory to complete their Marsh Community Series commitments for 2020. One new thing was the fact that for the second Marsh game in a row, the team finished full of running and they dominated the second half without the presence or the dominan

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SOUTH OF THE BORDER by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons will go into their final Marsh Series match with a strong lineup against the Hawks in Tasmania. Both Max Gawn and Steven May, who were recovering from injuries in first Marsh Series match, have both been named. It is unclear whether Max will be on restricted minutes and will likely get breaks in the ruck with Sam Weideman and rookie Luke Jackson getting their turns in the middle. Angus Brayshaw will be getting his first taste of competitive football despite playing in last week’s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    KANGAROO CAUGHT by Whispering Jack

    There was a fair amount of debate in our area as to whether the game warranted a full blown match report because it was felt that it was really an elevated version of a training session with match simulation but against a team in opposition colours. Although notionally the stronger side, North seemed to be using the occasion for the purpose of working on aspects of their game plan, one of the features of which seemed to be based on taking the longest possible route out of defence and good luck w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    JUST AN ABERRATION by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne unveiled its top recruits with new fitness boss Darren Burgess and mid-sized bull Christian Petracca sharing top billing in the team’s Marsh Community Series opener in front of 3,095 football starved fans at Casey Fields and thousands of others watching on screens of various shapes and sizes.  What they saw was a different Melbourne to the one that failed to run out its JLT Series games last year and then crashed in a heap early in the season proper with performances lacking the z

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 4

    CROWDOWN by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons open their 2020 season account with a "home" game against the Adelaide Crows at Casey Fields. It’s been more than 5 and half agonising months for the team and supporters who are eager to atone for the disappointing 2019 season which saw the Dees go from Preliminary Finalist to 2nd bottom on the ladder. The preseason campaign has been a hard slog with the addition of respected High Performance Manager Darren Burgess. We caught a glimpse of the gut busting sessions in the Melbourne

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE YEAR THE SKY FELL by The Oracle

    After a number of years of linear movement up the ladder, the Melbourne Football Club unexpectedly went into serious decline in 2019, slumping from fourth to 17th in a season that coach Simon Goodwin described “a complete wipe-out”. Those around the club who tried to analyse the apocalyptic events that unfolded during the year were hard pressed to find a single reason for the debacle but the most plausible explanation was that the club’s troubles stemmed from a lack of fitness and injuries that

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...