Jump to content
  • Podcast:      

Mel Bourne

Steven May Injury Update

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

More like 3/4 than full seasons and the Suns weren’t known for preparing their players well.

Im concerned by how much lighter they’ve got him and how much training he was doing pre Christmas. 

After last year I would’ve limited him to only about 3/4’s of the work load in preseason. Instead it sounds like we’ve pushed him too hard before Christmas and now have to back right off. 

I don’t understand why the club hired Burgi and not you, as seriously, you are an expert on everything except maybe the premier league....

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Fair enough, I don't follow soccer.

From the NBA there's plenty of cases of teams not disclosing info. The Nets right now are in a big circus with Kyrie Irving.

https://www.amny.com/editorial/atkinson-clears-up-kyrie-irving-injury-confusion-nets-waiting-game-continues/

The NFL maintains a pretty strict protocol for who is missing practice and could miss games but teams break it all the time. Usually if they get investigated and found guilty the punishment doesn't bother them.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2870513-bills-reporting-of-jerry-hughes-wrist-injury-being-investigated-by-nfl

We've spent more time talking about this than warranted already. But I wonder what the club thinks... They surely know that we have Demonland reporters at training. (I always appreciate yours BTW)

Do they just hold off telling us until they know exactly what the problem is.. knowing that we are aware that they aren't training? Or is it just a lack of staff in the media dept during the off season? (I'm not expecting a reply to this question)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BAMF said:

We've spent more time talking about this than warranted already. But I wonder what the club thinks... They surely know that we have Demonland reporters at training. (I always appreciate yours BTW)

Do they just hold off telling us until they know exactly what the problem is.. knowing that we are aware that they aren't training? Or is it just a lack of staff in the media dept during the off season? (I'm not expecting a reply to this question)

Or maybe we are pretty low on their priority list.  I doubt that most supporters and even members look at the MFC news much during the off-season and certainly wouldn't even know that X has missed training Y times.  So they wouldn't be waking up at 3am worrying about it.  Only the most rabid of us are on Demonland.  I'd be interested to know how many active readers/posters we have compared to total supportr base?

Edited by sue
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, old dee said:

My gut tells me not to expect much from May. Looks like the classic " we bought a crock" 

Burgess told Melbourne Media. “Maysie had a cyst pressing on the nerve of his knee which required some treatment. His pre-season has been outstanding so far and this won’t affect his program going forward."

I cannot agree with this.

I reckon this guy will be one of our most important players for quite a few years going forward. He's very good player - and I suspect every MFC defender stands taller knowing May is lurking around near them.

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

Heard he has a small back issue and the club is being conservative as to not exacerbate it and make it a long term injury. Might just be a slightly slower build up for him heading into the season proper. No alarm bells yet.

You obviously heard wrong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Rod Grinter Riot Squad said:

I don’t understand why the club hired Burgi and not you, as seriously, you are an expert on everything except maybe the premier league....

 

I wouldn't exclude the premier league either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Burgess told Melbourne Media. “Maysie had a cyst pressing on the nerve of his knee which required some treatment. His pre-season has been outstanding so far and this won’t affect his program going forward."

I cannot agree with this.

I reckon this guy will be one of our most important players for quite a few years going forward. He's very good player - and I suspect every MFC defender stands taller knowing May is lurking around near them.

 

Hope you are right RB but so far return has been poor. His time at the Dees has so far been injury plagued. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sue said:

Or maybe we are pretty low on their priority list.  I doubt that most supporters and even members look at the MFC news much during the off-season and certainly wouldn't even know that X has missed training Y times.  So they wouldn't be waking up at 3am worrying about it.  Only the most rabid of us are on Demonland.  I'd be interested to know how many active readers/posters we have compared to total supportr base?

Yes. You are 100% correct. I'm probably bitching because its been so slow on the news front recently and my need for a fix hasn't been met.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sue said:

Or maybe we are pretty low on their priority list.  I doubt that most supporters and even members look at the MFC news much during the off-season and certainly wouldn't even know that X has missed training Y times.  So they wouldn't be waking up at 3am worrying about it.  Only the most rabid of us are on Demonland.  I'd be interested to know how many active readers/posters we have compared to total supportr base?

Agree 50,000 members vs some small proportion of fanatics on here.  It's good that the Club provided the update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, old dee said:

Hope you are right RB but so far return has been poor. His time at the Dees has so far been injury plagued. 

No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think May's injury history was relatively sound prior to last year.

I was absolutely stoked when we landed him. Even though his season last year was underwhelming, I remain super positive about this guy and the contribution he will make to the MFC going forward - he's just the sort of player we need marshalling the defence.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think May's injury history was relatively sound prior to last year.

I was absolutely stoked when we landed him. Even though his season last year was underwhelming, I remain super positive about this guy and the contribution he will make to the MFC going forward - he's just the sort of player we need marshalling the defence.

 

Love your confidence RB. Sadly I am less so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fifty-5 said:

Agree 50,000 members vs some small proportion of fanatics on here.  It's good that the Club provided the update.

Agree. Particularly given how poor they were during last season at reporting injuries (when most fans are interested). Hopefully this reflects a shift.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, binman said:

Agree. Particularly given how poor they were during last season at reporting injuries (when most fans are interested). Hopefully this reflects a shift.

It takes a while to change the habits created over decades binman when you want to I am not confident the MFC / AFl are at that point yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the pessimistic sky is falling brigade,  will refrain from thinking the worst and jumping to conclusions in the future based on this

 

Yeah good luck with that, where would Demonland be without its veil of negativity 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, old dee said:

It takes a while to change the habits created over decades binman when you want to I am not confident the MFC / AFl are at that point yet.

The only thing I'm confident of is that you have no confidence in anything MFC.

Yeah I know you've been following them for 250 years and have every reason to be lacking in confidence, but let's wait till the season starts before we call this season a failure.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Yeah good luck with that, where would Demonland be without its veil of negativity 

I get the feeling that some rub their hands with glee at the first sign of anything going awry as it validates their pessimism.

Some even keep a jar of glee handy for that very purpose,  I'm told.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Dante said:

The only thing I'm confident of is that you have no confidence in anything MFC.

Yeah I know you've been following them for 250 years and have every reason to be lacking in confidence, but let's wait till the season starts before we call this season a failure.

I just don't have confidence that he will go the distance this year Dante. Called it whatever rocks your boat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even after a poor season, I am always optimistic going into the pre season.   I was last year until the practice match against the Pies then I started to question how we were travelling.   It became how deep,   not what are we standing in !  Learnt stuff all in 50 years.

Partly to blame last year was the reporting from the watchers that all was good or would be good. And after the 2018 heroics I was a sucker for the making.   But a lot of people thought that way.

This year the watchers have been more diligent in saying what they observed, both good and not so good, and the reporting from them this year has been nothing short of excellent, Good and bad highlighted, but the numbers training and questioning of why some players are not training means those that are there will have had a full preseason. 

And I think May will be to the back line what AVB could be to the forwards. I dont usually waste coin having a bet on Melb but I think I will this year.    So all is good,   until the first preseason games,   Who do we play first ??  can hardly wait  !!

 

Go Dees    good luck to all

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Mel Bourne said:

Steven May is requiring further surgery. Fluid build-up. Another week off the track. 
 

https://www.afl.com.au/news/371681

Infection of the wound?

At least he did the pre Christmas sessions, which should give him a good base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Infection of the wound?

At least he did the pre Christmas sessions, which should give him a good base.

Not sure if it’s an infection (fluid build-up can often not involve an infection), but the club seem to be playing it down, regardless. Mind you, they kinda have to. 

Edited by Mel Bourne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mel Bourne said:

Not sure if it’s an infection (fluid build-up can often not involve an infection), but the club seem to be playing it down regardless. Mind you, they kinda have to. 

Could be, though Mahoney said:

"Unfortunately, Steven had some fluid build-up within the existing wound last week which was causing him some discomfort,"

But I'm no medico, so could also be jock itch if I was in charge!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Could be, though Mahoney said:

"Unfortunately, Steven had some fluid build-up within the existing wound last week which was causing him some discomfort,"

But I'm no medico, so could also be jock itch if I was in charge!

or cor******us 😰

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE 2020 EQUATION by Whispering Jack

    The 2020 equation is simple for the Melbourne Football Club – it must keep winning and it must take some big scalps during the second half of the season without dropping games against the lesser lights. The Demons have gone down this season to the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th teams on the ladder including twice by less than a goal in games that could easily have gone the other way. Against that, they have beaten 11th, 13th, 14th and 18th and though they thumped the Crows during the week, the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE TORRENS THUMPING by George on the Outer

    THE TORRENS THUMPING - LEAVING THE DEMONS BEHIND That headline might lead a reader to think that Melbourne had lost badly in Adelaide but no!  It was actually the MFC which left it’s demons from the previous week behind as it applied the blowtorch to the Crows in the final quarter of their match at the Adelaide Oval and went on their merry way to record a 51 point win before their biggest crowd of the year (even if they were mainly hostile). Much had been made in the media about t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    STATE OF DEESASTER by the Oracle

    Melbourne’s circus caravan rolls into Adelaide on Wednesday night, an event that will put shivers up the spine of every Crows’ supporter as they look directly into the face of disaster. The flakey Demons left their home town a month ago and proceeded to rough up the Gold Coast Suns and Hawthorn in Sydney before moving on to the sunny Queensland where they missed by a bee’s diaphragm against the more or less local second-on-ladder Brisbane Lions. Then, they had to butter up against the top t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    OVERPOWERED by George on the Outer

    In a dismal display against Port Adelaide, Melbourne showed it had learnt nothing from their previous week’s loss to Brisbane. Port, in contrast, after losing to St.Kilda, addressed their failings, and as a result made the Demons look like a second-rate side.  Melbourne failed to score a goal in the first quarter, and the first time it seriously troubled the goal umpire was saved until a minute before half-time.  Did it get any better?  No with their meagre three goals for the sec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DESPERATION OF THE MOMENT by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne’s recent win against Hawthorn highlighted how important Max Gawn’s ruck domination is for the team. A week later however, that domination continued but its effect was totally blunted by the Brisbane Lions midfield and, as a consequence, what could have been an easy win over a leading AFL contender turned into a disappointing but close loss and a sense of desperation now looms over the club as the halfway mark of the season approaches. This week’s opponent in Port Adelaide also und

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE FOUR POINT FAIL by George on the Outer

    Melbourne went down by 4 points in a thrilling finish against Brisbane, but they failed by more than the 4 points.     They also failed to score the 4 points necessary to keep them in the race for the finals, and now find themselves sitting 6 points outside the top 8, but effectively 2 games outside (even though they have a game in hand).   The Demons had more than enough opportunities to win.  Six very easy shots on goal failed to bother the goal umpire with a major and ultimate

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NORTH OF THE BORDER PART 2 by The Oracle

    The travelling COVID circus moves north of the border yet again and, unless at some time in the near future, Papua New Guinea opens its borders, this could be the last time this phenomenon happens. And as fortune would dictate, the resurgent Demons are walking directly into the sights of the locals from the bright lights of Brizvegas to Carrara - the scene of some long-forgotten (and deservedly so) battles with one of the Lions’ former incarnations, namely, the Brisbane Bears. But unli

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ON THE NOSE by George on the Outer

    One of the Hawthorn Football Club’s valued sponsors is Azep® Nasal Spray and given the thrashing handed out to the Hawks in today’s game, it would appear that they need a huge supply of the sponsor’s product because they are simply on the nose. This condition was caused by the sheer dominance of the Demons, led magnificently by skipper Max Gawn with 27 hitouts and 22 disposals including two clearances. Around him in the middle were Christian Petracca with 29 touches, Clayton Oliver (also on

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PREMIER LEAGUE by Whispering Jack

    So the new man under the pump is Clarko, which demonstrates how sad but predictable the football media is these days. In an age where each AFL team’s form can be topsy turvy and unpredictability is the order of the day, the coach of a team that has played five out of the top six teams from the previous season and sits with a 3/3 win loss record is this week’s whipping boy.   This comes admittedly on the back of a bad fortnight from the Hawks who in recent years have exhibited an enormous

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    SUNSMART by George on the Outer

    If you don’t want to get sunburnt, you follow the Sunsmart rules.  Melbourne took the advice and with their season on the line, avoided getting burnt by the Gold Coast Suns, with a gripping 17 point win. It was a match that could have gone either way, with the sides within a kick of each other for all but the final minutes of the final quarter. Melbourne had stretched the lead earlier in the game to 18 points, but that quickly evaporated to a neck and neck race to the finish.  Finally,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NORTH OF THE BORDER by The Oracle

    The outcomes of Melbourne’s recent games against the Gold Coast Suns are a pretty good barometer of how the teams are faring. The Demons easily accounted for them twice in 2018, the last win being a 96-point cakewalk at the MCG in Round 20 when they scored a whopping 21.17.143 to 7.5.47. Ironically, Melbourne’s score of 9.3.57 at the first break that afternoon is leading its highest score for a full game to date this year by 3 points. In those days, they played fast, skillful football, moved th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 5

    PACK YOUR BAGS by George on The Outer

    The scene was captured by the TV camera’s before the match with a view of the Melbourne side’s bags packed next to the team bus to facilitate their flight up north to the AFL hub where they will play their next matches. However, on the basis of the efforts against Richmond, unless things change, and change rapidly, there will be some who will be told to pack their bags on a more permanent basis. Once again, the supporters got much the same story from this match against Richmond, as

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...