Jump to content

  • Podcast: Draft Wrap Up w/Jason Taylor  

Demonland

TRAINING: Wednesday 18th December 2019

Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, dworship said:

Apologies for not contributing earlier, I've been having Optus internet issues and have had to revert to emergency Telstra dongle ( don't understand why, but I always feel a little dirty when I say that). I got down there today before any of the players appeared and spied a relatively young looking fella taking the shade under a tree at the City end. Turned out to be George on the Outer. Pretty much stayed in the same posi. till around 11 when most of the action dried up. During that time most of the brains trust turned up in Whispering, Urban Legend BB and D'land himself. Good  banter and opinion ensued during this time and I'm happy to report we are all a bit bullish for the year ahead. I think we all agreed that while we temper our expectations, as it is preseason, observing training at the moment has way more positives than negatives. I don't intend to revisit what other posters have said other than to agree with their comments.

The one thing I can add is that I stayed until the last player and coach departed. The last player was Petty and the last coach - Stafford.

At the end of the session JJ, Chandler, Viney, Clarey and Petty spent 15 to 20 mins on goal kicking. In the end Stafford was working one on one with Petty on his run up. It appeared Stafford had identified a flaw where Petty was making contact with the ball either to early or to late. For any of the other training watchers; I would be interested in future obs regarding A/ this as on ongoing coaching with other players and B/ any observable improvements in individual performance in this area.

I should have also mentioned I watched Langdon a fair amount and thought his disposal was much better today than on Monday. I also saw him celebrate this a few times to the amusement of his teammates. This shows he is very aware of his deficiencies  and is working on them

Having worked for them, I hate saying Telstra too.

Thanks for the report ;)

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Webber said:

Pretty good thus far - it’s a relatively new intervention. This journal article suggests positive outcomes for elite athletes (skip to the ‘Results’ and ‘Discussion’).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5298419/

Thanks for that. One of my favourite pastimes is reading about midportion Achilles tendinopathy and this has just made my day.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m intrigued by this man mountain from the Academy. Do we take it that he plays for the Dandenong  Stingrays in 2020 and if he’s good enough then he could get drafted?

The club’s publicity machine needs to roll into action on this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Demonland said:

Here is an article from 2017 which welcomes a crop of Next Generation Academy players. Two Deakins (Deakyn) are listed.

  • Kobi George (VIC)
  • Cody Egan (VIC)
  • Deakin Pereira (VIC)
  • Ryan Koo Kwet Kim (VIC)
  • Deakyn Smith (VIC)
  • Declan Gould (VIC) - Pending
  • Andrew Moniz-Wakefield (NT)
  • Reggie Gallagher (NT)

FRGVHHrO.jpg?width=952&height=592

I'm pretty sure the kid on the left is the unnamed tackler that I observed today.

NGA_web.jpg

NGA-2_web.jpg

I'm pretty sure that the tall kid on the left of these two photos is the other Deakin (Pereira). These photos are over two years old now and he has certainly filled out. A big unit.

Jeez puberty hit him like a freight train haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

 

4 players going up to spoil. So they practice this now?

How Melbourne. No wonder we are good at doing it in games.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dworship said:

Apologies for not contributing earlier, I've been having Optus internet issues and have had to revert to emergency Telstra dongle ( don't understand why, but I always feel a little dirty when I say that). I got down there today before any of the players appeared and spied a relatively young looking fella taking the shade under a tree at the City end. Turned out to be George on the Outer. Pretty much stayed in the same posi. till around 11 when most of the action dried up. During that time most of the brains trust turned up in Whispering, Urban Legend BB and D'land himself. Good  banter and opinion ensued during this time and I'm happy to report we are all a bit bullish for the year ahead. I think we all agreed that while we temper our expectations, as it is preseason, observing training at the moment has way more positives than negatives. I don't intend to revisit what other posters have said other than to agree with their comments.

The one thing I can add is that I stayed until the last player and coach departed. The last player was Petty and the last coach - Stafford.

At the end of the session JJ, Chandler, Viney, Clarey and Petty spent 15 to 20 mins on goal kicking. In the end Stafford was working one on one with Petty on his run up. It appeared Stafford had identified a flaw where Petty was making contact with the ball either to early or to late. For any of the other training watchers; I would be interested in future obs regarding A/ this as on ongoing coaching with other players and B/ any observable improvements in individual performance in this area.

I should have also mentioned I watched Langdon a fair amount and thought his disposal was much better today than on Monday. I also saw him celebrate this a few times to the amusement of his teammates. This shows he is very aware of his deficiencies  and is working on them

Wanted to like this post but you have exactly 666 likes. And i like the synergy with your posting name.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

4 players going up to spoil. So they practice this now?

How Melbourne. No wonder we are good at doing it in games.

2 against 2 green bibs in attack so both fwds flew, besides which Marty Hore was out the back as sweeper

You will also find that is Bradtke and Jackson in the vests

 

 

From what I have been told, something big tomorrow to round off pre Xmas

So the"older' guys, Nev, Hibbo, May etc and anybody who is the 'recovery' Viney, AVB etc  did work inside

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could the mystery kid be one of:

Melbourne: Ollie Lord, Will Phillips

2020 eligible draftees training with Melbourne from an AFL article a couple weeks ago.

Lord is 195cm key forward and Phillips is a midfielder.

  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost at the Christmas break and no players have come close to drowning. We’re winning. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 3
  • Haha 9
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the Bennell hunched back thing, it reminds me of this bloke...

E2058024-DC81-4E13-B268-5AD1765357E4.jpeg

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anybody know when the first training session of the new year is?

I was planning on taking my son to training today but I see that it is now a closed session and I promised to take him to fill up the autograph book and now I’m in the doghouse.

HELP!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jnrmac said:

4 players going up to spoil. So they practice this now?

How Melbourne. No wonder we are good at doing it in games.

You do realise that it's 2v2 and not 4 players all spoiling ?

🤪

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lefty said:

Does anybody know when the first training session of the new year is?

I was planning on taking my son to training today but I see that it is now a closed session and I promised to take him to fill up the autograph book and now I’m in the doghouse.

HELP!!!!

Last year training resumed on Saturday 12th of January 2019 after the 2018 Christmas break.

@Satyriconhome might have a 2020 return date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On bennels kicking one of those yweets from McGowan with the videos had 50 odd seconds of him kicking 49 metre kicks. Beautiful of both sides. Such a smooth, natural action. The coach barely had to move.

Watching that  clip reminded me of how few trult elite kicks we have had at the club in the last decade.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, binman said:

Wanted to like this post but you have exactly 666 likes. And i like the synergy with your posting name.

Damn and now it's ruined. Should have had the post taken down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, MikeAlphaTango said:

Could the mystery kid be one of:

Melbourne: Ollie Lord, Will Phillips

2020 eligible draftees training with Melbourne from an AFL article a couple weeks ago.

Lord is 195cm key forward and Phillips is a midfielder.

Surely the AFL could give us these kids as compensation for long term suffering. (?!?)  Lord is a Tom Hawkins type key forward and Phillips is a gun young midfielder who should go in the top 10 picks in 2020. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Deeman said:

Thanks for that. One of my favourite pastimes is reading about midportion Achilles tendinopathy and this has just made my day.

I know, right? Just when you think the world’s gone to s**t, salvation arrives in the form of a fantastically niche medical journal article. It’s the little things. 🎅🏻

  • Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How are our second year players tracking? Are any of Sparrow, Jordon or Bedford showing enough to suggest they will become bona fide AFL players? Are Dunkley, Lockhart or C Wagner looking like they might take a step forward? It sounds like none of these guys are likely to figure in Round 1 if everyone is fit.

The reports also sound like Petty has been a standout (even though he has been in rehab) but I think he showed more than a few glimpses last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the 2 sessions I've been to Sparrow and Jordon have both been impressive. Bedford has potential but for mine is behind Pickett in X Factor. Another year in the system will tell us more.

Dunkley and Lockhart will benefit from having a first full preseason under their belts and more competition for spots.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fat Tony said:

How are our second year players tracking? Are any of Sparrow, Jordon or Bedford showing enough to suggest they will become bona fide AFL players? Are Dunkley, Lockhart or C Wagner looking like they might take a step forward? It sounds like none of these guys are likely to figure in Round 1 if everyone is fit.

The reports also sound like Petty has been a standout (even though he has been in rehab) but I think he showed more than a few glimpses last year.

From what I have seen at training, if we have a small forward or 2 for Rd 1, we have Chandler, C Wagner, Bedford and Pickett competing for the same spot, it is hard to judge Pickett as he has been pulled out of the full match sim, more often than he has been in it, Xfactor at junior level is not easily replicated at AFL level, but he shows flashes

To have 4 when we have struggled in that position lately, can only be a good thing

Same as the medium size, Melksham and Fritsch look a lock but Hunt is making every post a winner as well upto now and we have to fit ,Trac, ANB and Jones (according to Goody) up there as well

Think it will come down to the pre season games

Jordon and Sparrow are developing nicely but with Viney, Brayshaw, Oliver etc all looking like they will be fit, it wil take something exceptional to force their way in

Lockhart is being developed as a small defender, obviously as cover for Nev, but to give hime some competition as well

Dunkley is being groomed as a winger, obviously with the cloud over Tomlinson at the moment, there is a spot, he is one of the natural footballers we have on the list

Petty is going to be a star, knocking a fully fit May off the line of the ball  to take an uncontested mark, in your first match sim after rehab, is a good start

 

Forgot AVB as well, if they all stay fit, Casey is going to have quite a team

Edited by Satyriconhome
  • Like 14
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Almost at the Christmas break and no players have come close to drowning. We’re winning. 

Someone had to put the motzer on it. Hope I"m not sitting next to you at our next GF if you're going to make rash calls early.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Surely the AFL could give us these kids as compensation for long term suffering. (?!?)  Lord is a Tom Hawkins type key forward and Phillips is a gun young midfielder who should go in the top 10 picks in 2020. 

Not sure why you continue to peddle misinformation.  Ollie Lord, notwithstanding he spends most of his time playing in the attacking half of the ground and is a similar height, plays and physically looks nothing like Tom Hawkins, he is a tall, rangy, running key forward/second ruck in the mould of Eric Hipwood and not the predominantly one on one player Hawkins is and was at junior level

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

From what I have seen at training, if we have a small forward or 2 for Rd 1, we have Chandler, C Wagner, Bedford and Pickett competing for the same spot, it is hard to judge Pickett as he has been pulled out of the full match sim, more often than he has been in it, Xfactor at junior level is not easily replicated at AFL level, but he shows flashes

To have 4 when we have struggled in that position lately, can only be a good thing

Same as the medium size, Melksham and Fritsch look a lock but Hunt is making every post a winner as well upto now and we have to fit ,Trac, ANB and Jones (according to Goody) up there as well

Think it will come down to the pre season games

Jordon and Sparrow are developing nicely but with Viney, Brayshaw, Oliver etc all looking like they will be fit, it wil take something exceptional to force their way in

Lockhart is being developed as a small defender, obviously as cover for Nev, but to give hime some competition as well

Dunkley is being groomed as a winger, obviously with the cloud over Tomlinson at the moment, there is a spot, he is one of the natural footballers we have on the list

Petty is going to be a star, knocking a fully fit May off the line of the ball  to take an uncontested mark, in your first match sim after rehab, is a good start

Thanks Saty.

I would say Hunt is also competing for a spot versus the small brigade you mentioned plus Spargo. Personally, I would have Hunt in front of the pack without having a real understanding of Pickett's AFL qualities.

I could see Jetta being overtaken by Lockhart, who is quicker but does not kick the ball as well. I don't see them playing in the same backline, so it will be an interesting contest. Jetta will get the nod if he can keep up with his man.

I agree that Jordon and Sparrow have little chance of being picked in the midfield and IMO they will need to find another role to get into side. I am a bit surprised they haven't put Sparrow in the Jetta, Lockhart contest.

I think Dunkley will be a good footballer. I am not sure he has the tank to play wing though. I understand he was a mid-season draftee, but he was a long way off the fitness required after half time and wing would be the hardest running position in the game today.

I like Petty and hopefully he and/or Weid can stand up this year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

anyone manage to sneak into the 'closed' session today???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE YEAR THE SKY FELL by The Oracle

    After a number of years of linear movement up the ladder, the Melbourne Football Club unexpectedly went into serious decline in 2019, slumping from fourth to 17th in a season that coach Simon Goodwin described “a complete wipe-out”. Those around the club who tried to analyse the apocalyptic events that unfolded during the year were hard pressed to find a single reason for the debacle but the most plausible explanation was that the club’s troubles stemmed from a lack of fitness and injuries that

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

×
×
  • Create New...