Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

How much will Melbourne improve in 2020??

Tough Kent

On 12/14/2019 at 9:46 AM, Watson11 said:

For me it’s all about fitness and Burgo.  We were terrible last year.  In fact, unlike 2018 where our 3rd quarters were our best, in 2019 our best qtrs were our 1st, and every quarter after got worse with our 4th the worst in the league.  Get 22 fit players on the ground with the training loads done, and the difference will be massive.

There will likely be 1 or 2 teams that create a gap on the rest.  I don’t expect us to be one of them as I think we may take a month or so to click after our 2019. But I also think there will be 10 teams from 3 to 13 that are close and with a bit of luck we could be up there, but a few injuries to key players and we could be struggling.  We really can’t afford TMac, Clarry, Max, or May to have injuries.

This is the most obvious factor that seems to be glossed over regularly. A shiny new coaching panel that need to gel immediately if we are to do well. 

We won 5 games last year. 3 by less than a goal. This was more than fitness and Goodwin has said that players were questioning game plan etc. We have the talent and yes it needs to be on the park but a 0-5 start will see the club face a huge backlash from supporters, staff, players etc who will question everything that is being done. This is the fine line we now tread.

Goodwin will be under the pump and how he changes/matures will largely define our year.

23 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Not sure what the forward line has to do with this willingness to run.

You bust your gut repeatedly to see no result. After a while it starts to fall away

LOOK BEYOND WHAT WE WERE TOLD NEV. 

2019 was an absolute breakdown on all levels, the mids worked hard for no results Forward or Back...

2 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

You bust your gut repeatedly to see no result. After a while it starts to fall away

LOOK BEYOND WHAT WE WERE TOLD NEV. 

2019 was an absolute breakdown on all levels, the mids worked hard for no results Forward or Back...

Sorry mate, can't agree on this.

I thought we were lifting expectations? Isn't that what you always rant about?

Your own application shouldn't depend on the performance of others.

Did Gawn fall away? That's your standard right there if you want to actually go out and win a flag.

1 minute ago, Lord Nev said:

Sorry mate, can't agree on this.

I thought we were lifting expectations? Isn't that what you always rant about?

Your own application shouldn't depend on the performance of others.

Did Gawn fall away? That's your standard right there if you want to actually go out and win a flag.

Ok i can see this is a waste of time

$100 Brayshaw has an excellent 2020

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Ok i can see this is a waste of time

$100 Brayshaw has an excellent 2020

$1,000,000 says he lacked application in 2019.

That's the point mate. The consistency of application.

Staggered that you are happy to give people a pass for poor performance because 'things got a bit hard in the forward line'.

On 12/15/2019 at 8:56 AM, nosoupforme said:

As we made changes to our football department with  a  fitness guru that is an improvement in itself. 

The injuries are not as significant  as in 2018. However we recruited well IMO  from other clubs and drafted positively.

No doubt the guys will  be motivated enough and they have something to prove.

I expect the good vibes and expect  them to be fit as. That to me will equal a top 8 finish.

They are more than good enough IMO.

The new appointment of Burgess is a good logical one, however, every team during pre-season likes to classify themselves as 'fit as'......This doesn't equate to a top 8 finish, but I hope it turns out that way.

If the team lacks motivation after the past season then they are in a lot of trouble so like you, I believe they need to prove that the 2018 season finish wasn't a fluke.

Time will tell Nosoupforme.....

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Staggered that you are happy to give people a pass for poor performance because 'things got a bit hard in the forward line'.

So no niggling back injury then? I realise there was never an official club announcement on this, but that could be put down to simply not wanting him targeted. 

18 minutes ago, Mel Bourne said:

So no niggling back injury then? I realise there was never an official club announcement on this, but that could be put down to simply not wanting him targeted. 

Wasn't rested, played every game, no operation or rehab in the post-season.

Doesn't seem like it.

1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

You and i are looking at this from different angles. I know all about application, and yes it is pivotal, but when you are continually getting no reward for that effort, it drops off even a little

2019 stunk on so many levels that i am prepared to write it off, as long as there is massive improvement next year. 
that must be the caveat

You may see things differently 

7 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

You and i are looking at this from different angles. I know all about application, and yes it is pivotal, but when you are continually getting no reward for that effort, it drops off even a little

2019 stunk on so many levels that i am prepared to write it off, as long as there is massive improvement next year. 
that must be the caveat

You may see things differently 

Fair enough mate, we do see it differently then a bit.

Hard times test resilience and leadership, and we had very few that showed any signs of that this year which to me says the message hasn't gotten through to this point. Hopefully that can be changed as much as possible during the offseason, but you don't win a flag by giving up when things get a bit hard or you're not getting enough 'reward'.

22 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Fair enough mate, we do see it differently then a bit.

Hard times test resilience and leadership, and we had very few that showed any signs of that this year which to me says the message hasn't gotten through to this point. Hopefully that can be changed as much as possible during the offseason, but you don't win a flag by giving up when things get a bit hard or you're not getting enough 'reward'.

Well when the Coach doesn’t know what to do, there is little hope of fixing things up. 
This is why i believe Max should be the sole Captain. He was the one player who flew the flag all year. 
leadership from elsewhere onfield was nowhere to be seen

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Ah yes, the old 'came 3rd in the Brownlow' argument. He also finished 6th in our best and fairest. Which one do you think is a more accurate assessment of his attitude? A shock 3rd placing in the umpire-voted medal he wasn't even invited to, or a 6th place finish judged by his coaches?

Not sure Goodwin agrees with you in regards to the consistency of his application given he dropped him for exactly that reason.

I'm actually quietly up and about for our 2020 and I see Gus as a possible real factor for us, but as I've said in another post, it seems strange to me when people make statements that contradict available evidence.

Dropped due to poor attitude and application, then a shock Brownlow finish (and if we're being brutally honest, he didn't deserve that placing and got it on the back of running forward from the work of others), a horrendous 2019 where his effort was deplorable and we all waited for the injury reason that has never been forthcoming, training reports mentioning his half hearted application this preseason, but apparently magically he's going to be completely different next year just cos. Doesn't make sense to me.

I hope he does turn it all around next year, we need him to, but it would be contrary to evidence.

righto just ignore the evidence that doesn't back your argument then

as soon as he got in the team in 2018 he played a great season. So you don't rate the brownlow medal?  you think you can fluke a 3rd placing? even if he was 10th in the brownlow it is still bloody good. once he got up and running in round 4 of 2018 he hasnt been dropped

he was underdone and played poor last year like most of the team. he needs to lift from 2019 but there is plenty of 'evidence' that points to a big bounce back from Gus

18 hours ago, Roost it far said:

It’s a great opportunity to win the flag. If, and it’s a big if, we can keep a settled 22 injury free and win the close ones Richmond remains the team to beat. Must capitalise on a strong preseason and finish top 4. Was 2018 a fluke? 

I’m really only interested in a flag, seen other clubs improve quickly and can’t see why that can’t be us. I’m confident as still think our best 22 playing together is a good side.

oh and I think some here massively over rate Fritsch. I’d be surprised if he didn’t find himself back at Casey as he continues to develop

Very strange comment as all our expert track watchers are singing  his praises esp fir last 7 rounds in 2019 and now in match sim and all drills at pre season.

Why your suspicion about his ability ?

who else will Line up at Full forward or hf flank?

3 minutes ago, DubDee said:

righto just ignore the evidence that doesn't back your argument then

as soon as he got in the team in 2018 he played a great season. So you don't rate the brownlow medal?  you think you can fluke a 3rd placing? even if he was 10th in the brownlow it is still bloody good. once he got up and running in round 4 of 2018 he hasnt been dropped

he was underdone and played poor last year like most of the team. he needs to lift from 2019 but there is plenty of 'evidence' that points to a big bounce back from Gus

Seemingly then you rate the umpires opinions higher than the coaches. I don't share that view. Especially when we're talking about application. And you must not be very familiar with the Brownlow if you think there's never been any 'flukes'.

What was he 'underdone' from this year? The club said he had a 'back issue' which was resolved well before the Christmas break, you're just making excuses.

There is no 'evidence' of a bounce back. The bounce back itself will be the evidence (should it happen).

3 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Seemingly then you rate the umpires opinions higher than the coaches. I don't share that view. Especially when we're talking about application. And you must not be very familiar with the Brownlow if you think there's never been any 'flukes'.

What was he 'underdone' from this year? The club said he had a 'back issue' which was resolved well before the Christmas break, you're just making excuses.

There is no 'evidence' of a bounce back. The bounce back itself will be the evidence (should it happen).

like talkin to a brick wall. 

im done

2 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Haha fair enough mate. Look, I have big big hopes for him and think he holds the key to our success in a lot of ways, so let's just agree that an up and about Gus will be huge for us if it happens.

Agreed  ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bingers said:

Brayshaw was playing with an injury the whole season.

Obviously there’s been a lot of conjecture over this, but this statement leaves little room for scrutiny. Might I enquire if you have a source? 

18 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Let's start the improvement by beating perennial mediocre sides such as North and St Kilda.

An excellent benchmark except that since we don't play north until the last round - and again in Hobart - you'll have your answer long before then.

On 12/15/2019 at 8:32 PM, Lord Nev said:

Totally agree Fritsch looked the goods in those last few games, and seems we can lock him in for the forward line next year.

No seems about it LN. Fritter forward was an explicit statement at the members' info night. Saved me putting the question.

I thought we all knew that?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, pitmaster said:

No seems about it LN. Fritter forward was an explicit statement at the members' info night. Saved me putting the question.

I thought we all knew that?

Yep, but that's no guarantee he plays forward the whole year.

(You may have picked up I'm not big on making future predictions)

I've gone back to the predications that I had in 2018, which was between 5th to 10th. I think we can finish higher but a lot will depend on the start of the year and whether we can get some early momentum to exorcise the demons of 2019. Missing the finals is a definite fail, but I think a kinder injury run will give us a good chance to show that we have good talent, then it'll be down to the coaches and the game plan.