Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Core players / top 4 in the best 22? (merged thread)

CHF

I am interested in who people think are the 'Core"players should be in the team week in week out. A number of these are evident but I am sure we all have different views.

Looking at the list as it stands at the moment and trying to envisage a team is an interesting exercise. To my mind we have a group of core players that will be selected week in week out as long as they are in form and fit. These guys are established players in the team that have a solid background of work in their portfolio and are expected to do their jobs.

The second group I have are the players that I call borderline. These are the ones that Are either on the way up developing, on the way down as they age or ones that I think have found their natural level and are below the ‘çore’ standard required.

The third group are the young developing players that need time to develop.

Last group are the Rookies.

So, in my opinion our core players are the following:

·        May (D)

·        Salem (D)

·        Harmes (D/M)

·        Petracca (M/F)

·        Viney (M)

·        Lever (D)

·        Brayshaw (M)

·        Gawn (R)

·        Oliver (M)

·        Melksham (F/M)

·        T McDonald (F)

·        Fitsch (F)

In addition to these 12 I would add:

·        Tomlinson (M) Recovering from Injury

·        Langdon (M)

So, the team with these in place reads as:

Backs:                  Lever. May. …….

HB:                        Salem. …….. Harmes

MIDS:                   Tomlinson. Oliver. Langdon

HF:                        Melksham. …….. Petracca

Forwards:            Fitsch. TMac. ………

Ruck:                    Gawn. Viney. Brayshaw

I/C

The second group of players is quite extensive and this is where I expect a few people to disagree with me.

In the aging group I have:

·        Jones (B/M)

·        Hibberd (B)

·        Jetta (B)

These three to my mind are running out of legs a bit. All have been excellent players for us but I can see them being overtaken by younger legs as the season progresses.

The next are quality players that need to find their best fitness/form:

·        Hunt (F)

·        Vandenberg (M/F)

·        Neal-Bullen (F/M)

·        Hore (B)

·        O McDonald (B)

·        Weideman (F)

·        Preuss (R/F)

·        Hannan (M/F)

·        J Wagner (B)

These players are of a quality that can step up into he first 2 hen required but we need a few of them to make the move into the ‘core’ group. I am referring to Hunt, VDB, ANB, Hore and Weideman. OMac is there about but needs to have the player around him for support.

Smith (F) is another I have in this group but is one that I see making a big step up this season if he can stay injury free.

Petty (B/F) is an interesting one. I like what I saw of him at the end of the season. Has a bit of an edge to him and has a bit of confidence in himself as well as ability. Injury free could establish himself.

Third group are the young developing/new players;

·        Spargo (F)

·        Baker (M)

These two have played a bit of senior footy but almost need to take a tep back to move forward. Spargo will not be helped with a pre-season injury he is suffering.

Also in this group that we wait to see their development are;

·        Bedford (F)

·        Jordan (M)

·        Neitschke (M)

·        Sparrow (M)

·        Jackson (R/F/M)

·        Pickett (F)

·        Rivers (B/M)

I expect that all of these may well pick up a game or two during the season and it will be up to them to see if they can keep a place.

Lastly, Rookies. It seems to me that the rules are in place now that you can use these guys as you see fit. I know there are rules but the rules now are a lot more relaxed than they used to be.

·        Chandler (F)

·        C Wagner (M/F)

·        Lockhart (F/M)

·        Dunkley (M)

·        Bradtke (R)

All of them except for Bradtke will have roles to play at some time during the season.

My present team with the gaps filled is:

Backs:                  Lever. May. Jetta

HB:                        Salem. OMac Harmes

HF:                        Melksham. Weideman. Petracca

Forwards:            Fitsch. TMac. AN-B

I/C                         Hunt, VDB, Jones, Petty

Back 6 have a lot of experienced heads but would need good reactive match coaching to cover the players. Tomlinson, Petty, Jones and Hunt have flexibility to cover any problems back there during a game.

Front 6 Is about as good as we can expect. VDB, Petty and Tomlinson can all go forward with a resting mid to cove there.

Mids running off max look good. In that 22 there are 13 players that can rotate through the center.

Edited by Grapeviney
  • Like 10

2 minutes ago, CHF said:

I am interested in who people think are the 'Core"players should be in the team week in week out. A number of these are evident but I am sure we all have different views.

Looking at the list as it stands at the moment and trying to envisage a team is an interesting exercise. To my mind we have a group of core players that will be selected week in week out as long as they are in form and fit. These guys are established players in the team that have a solid background of work in their portfolio and are expected to do their jobs.

The second group I have are the players that I call borderline. These are the ones that Are either on the way up developing, on the way down as they age or ones that I think have found their natural level and are below the ‘çore’ standard required.

·        May (D)

·        Salem (D)

·        Harmes (D/M)

·        Petracca (M/F)

·        Viney (M)

·        Lever (D)

·        Brayshaw (M)

·        Gawn (R)

·        Oliver (M)

·        Melksham (F/M)

·        T McDonald (F)

·        Fitsch (F)

·        Langdon (M)

I/C

The second group of players is quite extensive and this is where I expect a few people to disagree with me.

·        Jones (B/M)

·        Hibberd (B)

·        Jetta (B)

These three to my mind are running out of legs a bit. All have been excellent players for us but I can see them being overtaken by younger legs as the season progresses.

·        Hunt (F)

·        Hore (B)

·        O McDonald (B)

·        Weideman (F)

·        Preuss (R/F)

·        Hannan (M/F)

·        J Wagner (B)

These players are of a quality that can step up into he first 2 hen required but we need a few of them to make the move into the ‘core’ group. I am referring to Hunt, VDB, ANB, Hore and Weideman. OMac is there about but needs to have the player around him for support.

Smith (F) is another I have in this group but is one that I see making a big step up this season if he can stay injury free.

Petty (B/F) is an interesting one. I like what I saw of him at the end of the season. Has a bit of an edge to him and has a bit of confidence in himself as well as ability. Injury free could establish himself.

·        Spargo (F)

·        Baker (M)

These two have played a bit of senior footy but almost need to take a tep back to move forward. Spargo will not be helped with a pre-season injury he is suffering.

·        Bedford (F)

·        Jordan (M)

·        Neitschke (M)

·        Sparrow (M)

·        Jackson (R/F/M)

·        Pickett (F)

·        Rivers (B/M)

I expect that all of these may well pick up a game or two during the season and it will be up to them to see if they can keep a place.

Lastly, Rookies. It seems to me that the rules are in place now that you can use these guys as you see fit. I know there are rules but the rules now are a lot more relaxed than they used to be.

·        Chandler (F)

·        C Wagner (M/F)

·        Lockhart (F/M)

·        Dunkley (M)

·        Bradtke (R)

All of them except for Bradtke will have roles to play at some time during the season.

Back 6 have a lot of experienced heads but would need good reactive match coaching to cover the players. Tomlinson, Petty, Jones and Hunt have flexibility to cover any problems back there during a game.

Front 6 Is about as good as we can expect. VDB, Petty and Tomlinson can all go forward with a resting mid to cove there.

Mids running off max look good. In that 22 there are 13 players that can rotate through the center.

B: LEVER, MAY, JETTA

HB: HARMES, SMITH, HIBBERD

? LANGDON, OLIVER, TOMLINSON

HF: MELKSHAM, T.MCDONALD, PETRACCA

F: PICKETT, WEIDEMAN, FRITSCH

FOLL: GAWN, VINEY, BRAYSHAW

IC: JONES, SALEM, PETTY, BROWN

EMERG: HUNT

CASEY

B: LOCKHART, HUTCHINS, J.WAGNER

HB: HORE, O.MCDONALD, RIVERS

? JORDON, SPARROW, DUNKLEY

HF: VANDENBERG, WHITE, NEAL-BULLEN

F: BEDFORD, JACKSON, CHANDLER

FOLL: PREUSS, MUTIMER, MUNRO

IC: C.WAGNER, NEITSCHKE, HANNAN, BAKER

EMERG: BENNELL, KOLODJASHNIJ, SPARGO, BRADTKE

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Great post. The list is looking v strong. I also expect ( if fit)Smith and Pickett  to play more afl games than vfl this year. Perhaps rivers and Lockhart too. IF Hibberd , Jones, Weideman  and Jetta dont play well early  they could really struggle to get a game this year. Heavy competition fr spots. Haven’t said that about our  list  fr a long time. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CHF said:

·        May (D)

·        Salem (D)

·        Harmes (D/M)

·        Petracca (M/F)

·        Viney (M)

·        Lever (D)

·        Brayshaw (M)

·        Gawn (R)

·        Oliver (M)

·        Melksham (F/M)

·        T McDonald (F)

·        Fitsch (F)

·        Langdon (M)

I/C

·        Jones (B/M)

·        Hibberd (B)

·        Jetta (B)

·        Hunt (F)

·        Hore (B)

·        O McDonald (B)

·        Weideman (F)

·        Preuss (R/F)

·        Hannan (M/F)

·        J Wagner (B)

·        Spargo (F)

·        Baker (M)

·        Bedford (F)

·        Jordan (M)

·        Neitschke (M)

·        Sparrow (M)

·        Jackson (R/F/M)

·        Pickett (F)

·        Rivers (B/M)

·        Chandler (F)

·        C Wagner (M/F)

·        Lockhart (F/M)

·        Dunkley (M)

·        Bradtke (R)

While I have no trouble with your rankings, I am not in agreement with your initial point.

i have long presented that we should use the whole squad dependent upon matching a specific opposition or related to a specific structure or tactic. I also say that we can manage players capacities allowing them to taper and peak performance n performance as required.

Some players are impact players which may take a harder toll on their bodies while others may be linking players with requirement to build endurance. Games should be granted due to these needs with an additional m to have the whole squad available and peaking at finals time.

The other obvious factor is mental state. No player can be a expected to operate at 100% for every week or even all game and so their capacity or playing state should be used as a consideration for selection. Your identified development players especially need to be managed to come into the right mix of players against the correct opposition to play their best game. They then continue or are rested depending on that team and opposition mix.

The skill of the coach is to manage this variable mix  to reach the finals and then to win the flag.

• Like 1

My thoughts on our playing list for 2020.

Senior core:
May
Salem
Harmes
Petracca
Viney
Lever
Brayshaw
Gawn
Oliver
Hibberd
Langdon
Melksham
Tomlinson
Tom McDonald
Weideman
Fritsch
Jetta
J Smith

Probables:
Jones
Spargo
Kolodjashnij
Hannan
Preuss
vandenBerg (if fitness continues, certainty)
Oscar McDonald
Hunt
Neal-Bullen
Brown
Lockhart

Depth:
C Wagner
J Wagner
Baker

Young players who will feature in 2020:
Jackson
Pickett
Rivers
Sparrow
Jordan
Petty
Chandler
Dunkley

Young players still developing in 2020:
Bradtke
Nietschke
Bedford

Bennell potentially added to the list.
The depth has definitely improved in what was a successful offseason trade and draft period.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dpositive said:

While I have no trouble with your rankings, I am not in agreement with your initial point.

i have long presented that we should use the whole squad dependent upon matching a specific opposition or related to a specific structure or tactic. I also say that we can manage players capacities allowing them to taper and peak performance n performance as required.

Some players are impact players which may take a harder toll on their bodies while others may be linking players with requirement to build endurance. Games should be granted due to these needs with an additional m to have the whole squad available and peaking at finals time.

The other obvious factor is mental state. No player can be a expected to operate at 100% for every week or even all game and so their capacity or playing state should be used as a consideration for selection. Your identified development players especially need to be managed to come into the right mix of players against the correct opposition to play their best game. They then continue or are rested depending on that team and opposition mix.

The skill of the coach is to manage this variable mix  to reach the finals and then to win the flag.

I don’t disagree with what you have said with regards to getting on the front foot at selection and I hope that there have been lessons learnt from the past. Looking at the core players I have listed I think there is enough flexibility to cover most opposition structures. I also think we have enough talent at the next level and developing where we would select a particular player because he has the skill profile to either counter an expected opposition ploy or would bring an unexpected difference to the team.

• Like 2

Defenders

Locks-  the first picked every week- May, Lever, Hibberd, Jetta, Harmes, Salem.

in the mix-  dependant on form and match ups- Smith, Petty, Lockhart, Hunt, Hore, Rivers.

Depth- in case of emergency only- OMac, JWagner.

Midfield

Locks- Gawn, Oliver, Viney, Langdon, Brayshaw, Petracca.

in the mix- Sparrow, Jones, AVB, Tomlinson, Jordon, Dunkley.

Depth- Preuss, Baker, Nietschke, KK.

Forwards

Locks- TMac, Melksham, Fritsch.

In the mix- Weideman, Petty, Jackson, Pickett, Chandler, ANB, Spargo, Bedford.

Depth- Bradtke, CWagner, Hannan, Brown.

15 locks and 7 spots up for grabs by my reckoning.

I can't disagree with any of the above posts, I enjoy reading well thought out scenario's, some of our Locks will continue to improve and unfortunately some will fade for what ever reason. However I am starting to feel Cocker - hoop that we now have the right mix of players to be able to cover all our possible needs, just need the coaches to be a bit daring at different times during the year and in games........!!

• Like 2

Core= those who while not irreplaceable there is not like for like at Casey, so to have a good competitive season these guys need to play 18+ games each....

Backs...May and  harmes (toughness and run)

Mids Oliver Langdon  (smarts and run and run)

Forwards...TMac Melksham Petracca ((running targets)

When these guys are out the cracks could open

Would be nice to add Pickett Bennell and Jackson but.....

• Like 1

On 12/14/2019 at 2:54 AM, WERRIDEE said:

B: LEVER, MAY, JETTA

HB: HARMES, SMITH, HIBBERD

? LANGDON, OLIVER, TOMLINSON

HF: MELKSHAM, T.MCDONALD, PETRACCA

F: PICKETT, WEIDEMAN, FRITSCH

FOLL: GAWN, VINEY, BRAYSHAW

IC: JONES, SALEM, PETTY, BROWN

EMERG: HUNT

CASEY

B: LOCKHART, HUTCHINS, J.WAGNER

HB: HORE, O.MCDONALD, RIVERS

? JORDON, SPARROW, DUNKLEY

HF: VANDENBERG, WHITE, NEAL-BULLEN

F: BEDFORD, JACKSON, CHANDLER

FOLL: PREUSS, MUTIMER, MUNRO

IC: C.WAGNER, NEITSCHKE, HANNAN, BAKER

EMERG: BENNELL, KOLODJASHNIJ, SPARGO, BRADTKE

I'd have Hore atleast on the interchange. How is Pickett in the best 22 already. 

Edited by Ugottobekidding
  • Shocked 1

The topic was core players in the 22 but most seem to breaking down best 22.

To me our core players for 2020 are May, Gawn, Oliver & Tommy Mac.

The engine room was ok in 2019 but the bookends let us down, if we get this right then the support cast will follow.

• Like 3

Hmm, players I see as being of that core 'definitely AFL quality every week' unless something is serious wrong with their body or form -

B:     Jetta        May

HB:      Salem      Lever       Harmes

C :     Landgon       Brayshaw

HF:      Melksham    T.Mac    Petracca

F:        Fritsch

FOLL:    GAWN  Oliver  Viney

Fourteen 'feels' like a good start, and then there's a good block of players who might also warrant that 'reliable AFL quality' term in 2020 but I'm not prepared to declare it based on some question mark or another, from age (at either end) to chronic injury to whatever -

Tomlinson, Vandenberg, Smith, Hore,  Jackson, Pickett, Weideman, Hibberd

And of course all the guys like Hannan, Hunt, the Wagners, Nibbler, O.Mc who when in good form a perfectly acceptable cogs in the machine.

Seems like the main thing we really have a question mark on whether we can have enough truly AFL standard guys out there is the tall forward bracket.  Interesting to watch Weid, Jackson, Brown and see what they deliver.  Just one of those proving to be a reliable target and hard worker for 2020 would make a big difference to our game.

• Like 2

Interesting post. I reckon the team is fairly settled if everyone is fit. 

Core

FB                         lever                                     May                       jetta

Chb                       Salem                                  Hore                      Hibberd

Centre                  Tomlinson                           Oliver                    Langdon

HF                         Melksham                                                         Petracca

Ff                          fritsch                                   TMac                   Vanders

Fow                      Gawn                                    Viney                    Brayshaw

Int                        Harmes                                 Jones                  

It's missing

- 1 tall forward  (Wied, Preuss, Brown, Petty).

- 1 small/mid size forward (Hannan, Hunt, ANB, Spargo, Lockart, Smith).

- 1 defender tall or medium depending on opposition (OMac, Petty, Brown, Wagner, Smith)     

I reckon Jetta, Jones and Hibberd are still core. Whilst they may be slowing down, I can't see who would be pushing them out of the side.         

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Little Goffy said:

Hmm, players I see as being of that core 'definitely AFL quality every week' unless something is serious wrong with their body or form -

B:     Jetta        May

HB:      Salem      Lever       Harmes

C :     Landgon       Brayshaw

HF:      Melksham    T.Mac    Petracca

F:        Fritsch

FOLL:    GAWN  Oliver  Viney

Fourteen 'feels' like a good start, and then there's a good block of players who might also warrant that 'reliable AFL quality' term in 2020 but I'm not prepared to declare it based on some question mark or another, from age (at either end) to chronic injury to whatever -

Tomlinson, Vandenberg, Smith, Hore,  Jackson, Pickett, Weideman, Hibberd

And of course all the guys like Hannan, Hunt, the Wagners, Nibbler, O.Mc who when in good form a perfectly acceptable cogs in the machine.

Seems like the main thing we really have a question mark on whether we can have enough truly AFL standard guys out there is the tall forward bracket.  Interesting to watch Weid, Jackson, Brown and see what they deliver.  Just one of those proving to be a reliable target and hard worker for 2020 would make a big difference to our game.

Petty ?

• Like 1

I've only got 9

Gawn,  Oliver,  Salem,  Brayshaw,  May,  Lever,  Harmes,  Viney & Petracca

Outside of the above with a need to establish themselves (or re-establish) as notable contributors to the team (on a regular basis) ... Melksham,  T-Mac,  Hibberd,  Jetta,  Jones,  Fritsch,  Hore,  Tomlinson,  Langdon,  AVB.

Of the rest many need time (at least a year or 2) but a few could make the quantum leap even this year ... in fact,  2 or 3 possibly/probably will establish themselves as permanent fixtures in the top 12 or 15 as part of the 22. 

And of course the injury factor will no doubt intervene. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DeezNuts said:

To the OP, great post btw, although I think you were unfair on Marty Hore and over confident with OMAC.

Everything else looked pretty reasonable 

Thanks for that. I am interested in peoples differing perceptions of the players.

On Hore, I see him as similar to Lever and would find it difficult to them both in the team. I do not see him there week in week out if Lever is fit and firing.

Omac is a hard one. With frost gone I can see him getting games he would not have otherwise. It will be interesting to see how they structure the defenders this season. I can see a few of the midfield rotating through there during games.

• Like 1

In 2019 we had one All Australian. In fact, Max Gawn was the only Demon in the squad of 40.

Max (22) and Clayton Oliver (23) were our only two players in the AFL Fantasy top 50. 

Champion Data says we have one elite player (easy to guess), six above average and 12 average players.

So just thinking about the quality of our list, who do we have that would be in the best 22 of 2019's Preliminary Finalists? That is, which Melbourne plays would actually get a game at Richmond, GWS, Geelong or Colllingwood, assuming injury-free lists? Maybe you want to submit a team showing where Melbourne players would fit into those Prelim Finals teams. 

• Shocked 1

29 minutes ago, Fanatique Demon said:

In 2019 we had one All Australian. In fact, Max Gawn was the only Demon in the squad of 40.

Max (22) and Clayton Oliver (23) were our only two players in the AFL Fantasy top 50. 

Champion Data says we have one elite player (easy to guess), six above average and 12 average players.

So just thinking about the quality of our list, who do we have that would be in the best 22 of 2019's Preliminary Finalists? That is, which Melbourne plays would actually get a game at Richmond, GWS, Geelong or Colllingwood, assuming injury-free lists? Maybe you want to submit a team showing where Melbourne players would fit into those Prelim Finals teams. 

And the aim is what?

You've already answered your own question

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Fanatique Demon said:

May & Oliver would walk into any of those teams.

Max would 3 & fight it out with Grundy at Pies.

An in form Tommy Mac at Geelong & Pies.

Lever probably GWS & Pies, maybe Cats depending on how they set up...Tiges the only one he would miss.

Trac with GWS & Cats...probably Tiges, Pies have others like but he would be an option there. After season 2020 will be a walk up anywhere.

Harmes would get a look in somewhere in those teams...extra mid, tagger or hb

I reckon Fritsch would get a game forward with the Cats.

I expect Salem to consolidate & be on par with like players at teams you've mentioned.

Langdon to step up as one of the best running wingmen in season 2020.

A resurgent Bennell to walk in anywhere.

Jackson as rising star, Rivers not far behind...all clubs envious.

There you go, we're not so bad after all.

Who knows...remember we were top 4 in 2018 so I wouldn't be marking the 2020 list on who made top 4 in 2019.

Too much can & will change.

• Like 12

6 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

And the aim is what?

You've already answered your own question

The aim was to hear others' opinions on whether we really have a decent list. If we can't find players on our list who'd get a game in the top teams, what hope do we have?

As for already answering my own question, no, I don't think just Max and Clarrie would make the other teams.

Now, I'm trying to put this politely...  Maybe it's not so much a case of answering my own question as someone else not understanding its intent. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1