Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2020 Contracts and List Details

Lucifers Hero

Final List for 2020 (excl Bennell)

We have 1 list spot (either Rookie or Seniors) which is for Bennell.  If he isn't recruited it can be used for the SSP (ala Lockhart in 2019) or the mid season draft (ala Dunkley in 2019)

image.png.2a54563e6abd44872f98f2ac1a551e38.png

Ages and Games played have been updated.  This year I have added the 'Free Agent' (FA or RFA) status of players at end of current contract, if applicable.

More than half our total list is out of contract this year.  Makes for extra competitiveness.

The most critical re-signings imv are Petracca, Fritsch, Petty and Viney.

If anyone sees any 'errors' please let me know.  I'll ask mods to pin this thread. 

The 2019 version can be found here: 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 1

I expect Fritsch and Petrecca to garner significant interest from other clubs. Will have to trade, but no doubt the monetary offers will be significant, Fritsch in particular if he kicks 30-40 goals. Third most important player behind Oliver and Gawn.

• Like 3

Likely 'Milestone' in 2020:

• 50 games:  Fritsch, Hannan, Vandenberg, Weideman,
  • 100 games:  Petracca, J. Wagner, Salem, Harmes
  • 150 games:  Hibberd, Jetta, May, Tomlinson
  • 300 games:  Jones.

None will be more richly deserved than Jetta and Jones.  Loyal stalwarts of our beloved demons.

Along with Oliver (90+ games) and Brayshaw (90+) games, the 100 game brigade is quite a formidable midfield.  It is what most clubs hope for:  that their top talent grow and develop together.  They are reaching the 'sweet spot' of age and experience.  Bodes well.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

More than half our total list is out of contract this year.  Makes for extra competitiveness.

there's four players at least that could go either way during 2020.. Best 22 or delisted/traded for low value

Hunt, Hannan, J Smith, O MacDonald

Cusp players also in that group are Spargo and J. Wagner

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Likely 'Milestone' in 2020:

• 50 games:  Fritsch, Hannan, Vandenberg, Weideman,
  • 100 games:  Petracca, J. Wagner, Salem, Harmes
  • 150 games:  Hibberd, Jetta, May, Tomlinson
  • 300 games:  Jones.

None will be more richly deserved than Jetta and Jones.  Loyal stalwarts of our beloved demons.

Along with Oliver (90+ games) and Brayshaw (90+) games, the 100 game brigade is quite a formidable midfield.  It is what most clubs hope for:  that their top talent grow and develop together.  They are reaching the 'sweet spot' of age and experience.  Bodes well.

Might of went a bit overboard about how many games J. Wagner CAN play this year......

Edited by george_on_the_outer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/9/2019 at 11:52 AM, The Stigga said:

I expect Fritsch and Petrecca to garner significant interest from other clubs. Will have to trade, but no doubt the monetary offers will be significant, Fritsch in particular if he kicks 30-40 goals. Third most important player behind Oliver and Gawn.

Petracca now joins him by performance in Marsh no1

6 hours ago, kirstenmac said:

Update CP 5 please

image.png.670cf23fa5adf7b38895553d4a751e28.png

Also updated for Bennell.

We now have a full list of 44 players:  38 Senior List plus 6 'A' Rookies.  Whether we can add players in the Supplementary draft and/or the mid season draft depends on what happens with Kolodjashnij and Nietschke, both having been delivered cruel blows by injury.

I would think the high priority signings are:  Viney, Petty and Fritsch.  Followed by Hannan, Hibberd and a few others.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

It seems the AFL has stopped clubs re-signing players out of contract this year.  footy-s-over-and-getting-it-back-will-be-hard

From the Table in post #9 above we have 23 players OOC this year.   Obviously many will be re-contracted but how many have played their last game for our beloved Demons...

There will be many nervous AFL players and this may include those with contracts but are long-term injury players.  Difficult and sad times ahead.

• 3 months later...

Would not complain if we had a cleanse,

Hannan, Hunt, ANB, vanders, 2x Wagners, OMac, Jones, Baker, KK (inj), Smith should be allowed to move on

Target a Key Forward and play TMac at CHB, dont remember the last mark he took. 

• 1 month later...

For the Kozzy contract renewal:

image.png.74336007a89ad412a8fb1cfe6a4a5163.png

We know that Frtisch is closing in on a contract.  And based on recent performances Spargo and Sparrow won't be too far behind.  Hibberd has done enough for another contract. 

Will be good to see JV5 sign up.

The players most vulnerable (excl Rookies) are Smith, Wagner, Hunt ? and a few others that aren't getting games on have long term injuries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

So Petracca re-signed until the end of 2022. I'd be giving him a three year extension until 2025. Likewise, I'd be giving a four year extension to Oliver until 2026. Neither may want to sign contracts for that length of time, but getting these two guys signed up long term, not just mid term, is super important for our football club.

Both are now legitimate stars. Petracca's hype has surpassed Oliver, but they're every bit as good as each other IMO. They bring different things elite traits to the table.

I hope we're looking at this before we consider throwing big money at a Ben Brown or anyone else. Get these guys locked in and we can build our side around them. Particularly, as Harmes is signed up long term as well (and I believe he'll return to his 2018 form if played in the midfield).

Edited by A F
  • Like 7

12 hours ago, A F said:

So Petracca re-signed until the end of 2022. I'd be giving him a three year extension until 2025. Likewise, I'd be giving a four year extension to Oliver until 2026. Neither may want to sign contracts for that length of time, but getting these two guys signed up long term, not just mid term, is super important for our football club.

Both are now legitimate stars. Petracca's hype has surpassed Oliver, but they're every bit as good as each other IMO. They bring different things elite traits to the table.

I hope we're looking at this before we consider throwing big money at a Ben Brown or anyone else. Get these guys locked in and we can build our side around them. Particularly, as Harmes is signed up long term as well (and I believe he'll return to his 2018 form if played in the midfield).

I would be surprised if the club didn't try for 5 years.  Given the scuttlebutt last year that he wasn't happy a two year extension to 2022 didn't surprise.  2022 is his UFA year. 

Oliver will be a UFA in 2023 so how long he re-signs for next year (if he does) will be interesting.  If to 2023 is he flagging he will consider UFA options?

Like Petracca, 2022 is when Brayshaw is OOC and his UFA year. 

Salem will be OOC and a UFA next year.

Who exercises their UFA option is anyone's guess and depends on willingness to move, MFC success, personal ambitions, family situation etc. 

The club needs to be in serious top 4 contention next year and beyond otherwise we may lose these guys who are in the age/experience sweet spot.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, A F said:

Just on this. It'll be interesting to see if our list strategy changes at all if Mahoney moves on this year.

I've regularly mentioned 4-5 year contracts should be for top players.  Giving TMac, Tomlinson, Harmes 4 or 5 years is poor management, imv. 

This isn't hindsight on my part:  TMac had surgery on both ankles at end of 2017 and injured his foot in May 2018.  His 5 year contract was announced in early June, which was early days of his successful 2018 as a fwd.  So not sure why the club gave a 5 year extension.  I can't find the article but I recall TMac saying that he wanted a long term deal to cover him if he gets injured.

Tomlinson was an average player.  Maybe the club 'had to' sign him for 4 years to get him across but...

Harmes.  Love him and the way he plays but 5 years...

Now, none of them are regular 22 yet contracted for years to come. 

Such players will be harder to trade out with L-T contracts attached to them.  We will have to 'give them away' just so their $ are off our books.

For mine these are examples of poor contract management by Mahoney as the club carries all the risk if the player doesn't perform/gets injured. 

Some will say the club cannot predict the future on player form/injury but my point is about risk management and how the risk is shared between club and player:  Shorter contracts or short contract plus triggers.

Edit:  Found the TMac article:  mcdonald-wants-to-stay-a-demon  In an expansive interview, a candid McDonald spoke about the priority for players signing longer term contracts, which provides them with increased stability and insurance.  “If you have a contract signed and you have an injury the week after, that’s a fair bit less to worry about than if you have a serious injury with no contract in place."

Given the ankle and foot injuries when I read that back in 2018, it set off alarm bells for me.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I've regularly mentioned in threads that 4-5 year contracts should be for top players.  Giving TMac, Tomlinson, Harmes 4 or 5 years is poor management, imv. 

This isn't hindsight on my part.  TMac injured his foot in May 2018.  His 5 year contract was announced in June, at which time time he had had a small sample of the goal scoring success 2018 eventually delivered which evaporated as quickly as it arrived.  So not sure on what basis the club extended 5 years.

Tomlinson was an average player.  Maybe the club 'had to' sign him for 4 years to get him across but...

Harmes.  Love him and the way he plays but 5 years...

Now none of them are regular 22 yet contracted for years to come.  They will be harder to trade out with L-T contracts attached to them. 

For mine it is poor contract management by Mahoney as the club carries all the risk if the player doesn't perform/gets injured it greatly reduces our list management flexibility if they are no longer best 22. 

Couldn't agree more.

Veterans & Draftees/Rookies = 1-2 years
Fringe, Depth & Role = 2-3 years
Bonafide Stars = 4-5 years

No one should be given 5+ year contracts, we only have 3 players on our list that are/were worthy of 4-5 year contracts... Petracca, Oliver and Gawn.

No doubt Viney and his management are trying to sew him up for the rest of his career in a longer term contract and I hope Melbourne doesn't have a bar of it, he should be getting 3 years max, but don't be surprised if Geelong are tabling a 4+ year contract to him.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ham said:

Couldn't agree more.

Veterans & Draftees/Rookies = 1-2 years
Fringe, Depth & Role = 2-3 years
Bonafide Stars = 4-5 years

No one should be given 5+ year contracts, we only have 3 players on our list that are/were worthy of 4-5 year contracts... Petracca, Oliver and Gawn.

No doubt Viney and his management are trying to sew him up for the rest of his career in a longer term contract and I hope Melbourne doesn't have a bar of it, he should be getting 3 years max, but don't be surprised if Geelong are tabling a 4+ year contract to him.  

Agreed.

Also players with persistent leg/ankle/foot/hip injuries shouldn't get more than 2-3 years, again because of the risk of performance falling off a cliff.  And Viney is in that category.  He is one trip or foot stomp away from a long-tern injury.

I would add May to the list of worthy of his 5 year deal as he had exposed form over a long period of time. 

Sometimes a 4/5 year deal just has to be offered to get the player but we have signed more than a dozen players on those terms in the last few years.

I don't begrudge that to the players.  I just feel the club needs to be more prudent on how the risk is shared between club and player. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2020 at 12:56 PM, Lucifer's Hero said:

For the Kozzy contract renewal:

image.png.74336007a89ad412a8fb1cfe6a4a5163.png

We know that Frtisch is closing in on a contract.  And based on recent performances Spargo and Sparrow won't be too far behind.  Hibberd has done enough for another contract. 

Will be good to see JV5 sign up.

The players most vulnerable (excl Rookies) are Smith, Wagner, Hunt ? and a few others that aren't getting games on have long term injuries.

hunt has been misused by Goodwin

A keeper for me

• Like 3

Some interesting names who are currently put of contract that intrigued me.

Spargo, Hunt, Hore, Omac, Smith, Jones, Sparrow, Hibberd and Brown.

These names who have played some footy this year and contribute well.

Reason I also put Hore in there because I feel he is rated highly internally.  If he was fit, he would have played more instead of Smith. Just remember at one stage throughout last year he was leading the competition for intercept marks.

• Like 1

i think we should take the chance this year to completely rejig the setup of our list. Football is won by the 22 blokes playing each week your clubs "best 22" and each year you are required to draft 3 players. so if after 3 years on the list a player hasnt broken through as a best 22 player i think you move them on. a guns&rookies strategy where your best 22 is seriously good ie geelong and your rookies look to fight their way in and if they cant u recycle them for another draft pick and try again like gws. keeping a player at 22+yo who is fringe as backup doesn't progress your list

Hannan, Hunt, JWagner, CWagner, OMcDonald, Smith are fringe players at best and offer nothing a new draftee with upside wouldn't offer.

Times run out for Jones.

Jetta and Kolodjashnij whilst contracted probably know what conversations are coming given list sizes,

TMcDonald gets a trade with wage contribution

Chandler and Dunkley haven't come on and would be 50:50 at best.

1 year deals for Bedford, Spargo, Hore, Hibberd, Bennell (up), Brown (A), Jordon, Neitschke (A), Bradtke (B)

2-3yrs Fritsch, Petty, Lockhart (up), Sparrow 

4yrs Viney

• Like 1