Jump to content
  • Demonland Interviews

Demonland

TRAINING: Friday 6th December 2019

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

Oh boy, I can buy a Castagna vs ANB comparison, but I think Castagna is a superior player.

ANB is not even in the same postcode as Kane Lambert who is a terrific player

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/why-richmond-star-kane-lambert-is-at-centre-of-underrated-debate-between-jason-dunstall-and-mark-robinson/news-story/1fa45505dcd24f5fbaab498f986c266d

"Lambert finished second in last year’s Jack Dyer Medal and earned a spot in the All-Australian squad, after finishing third in the best and fairest in Richmond’s premiership winning 2017 campaign."

Read my post again.

Did I say that ANB is as good as or better than Lambert? 

Did I compare their skills or stats?

The only comparison I made is that Lambert, like ANB, is not particularly stylish or fashionable, yet, like ANB, is very effective for his team and their gamestyle.

Ask any Richmond fan about Lambert - they don't have anyone else who can play his role. For that reason, he is crucial. That's my point, we have no other high hff/mid who is happy to run all day from contest to contest to tackle, but not necessarily win the ball. When ANB is missing or down on form, it is obvious to me that we miss the extra number at many contests between the arcs and also miss the implied pressure an extra number creates. I suspect the only things obvious to you are his turnovers, small stature and low draft pick. 

For what it's worth, I agree Lambert is a much better player than ANB. 

I'm not saying he's in our top 10 or top 5 players at all, just that his role is important and we have none other who can play it. On his day, he can play it well. Needs to be his day more often though.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, fr_ap said:

I'm not saying he's in our top 10 or top 5 players at all, just that his role is important and we have none other who can play it. On his day, he can play it well. Needs to be his day more often though.

 

What is his role, though?  

He had a pretty good 2018, although hints of true form were there throughout.  I even defended him when others knocked him.

However, the hints we saw in 2018 became major issues and ones in which I don't think he can overcome.  He has a dip but is an extremely limited footballer.  He doesn't go hard enough, doesn't hit the scoreboard enough and, this season especially, didn't hit the scoreboard enough.  We just can't have that in our side.

Hopefully with a fitter Melksham, Hannan and even AVB, he will become nothing more than a handy depth player in 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Alex Neal-Bullen had an awful 2019 but is an endurance and pressure specialist and a best-22 staple when in form"

From AFL website, nobody is disagreeing he has limitations, but Goodwin, when ANB is in form, seems willing to overlook these doesn't he

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

What is his role, though?  

He had a pretty good 2018, although hints of true form were there throughout.  I even defended him when others knocked him.

However, the hints we saw in 2018 became major issues and ones in which I don't think he can overcome.  He has a dip but is an extremely limited footballer.  He doesn't go hard enough, doesn't hit the scoreboard enough and, this season especially, didn't hit the scoreboard enough.  We just can't have that in our side.

Hopefully with a fitter Melksham, Hannan and even AVB, he will become nothing more than a handy depth player in 2020.

We had a whole team that was like that in the season just gone, but ANB seems to be the new whipping boy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

We had a whole team that was like that in the season just gone, but ANB seems to be the new whipping boy

He is not the new whipping boy, but a topic of conversation.

 

overall ANB was fantastic in 2018, despite the odd missed easy goal, last year he was a disappointment (he wasn’t on his own in that), I think on his 2018 form he has an important role to play, but if he can’t replicate that form he will have a limited future in the AFL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Rod Grinter Riot Squad said:

He is not the new whipping boy, but a topic of conversation.

 

overall ANB was fantastic in 2018, despite the odd missed easy goal, last year he was a disappointment (he wasn’t on his own in that), I think on his 2018 form he has an important role to play, but if he can’t replicate that form he will have a limited future in the AFL

2020 will tell us which season was the anomaly - 2018 or 2019.  My money is on the latter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Watson11 said:

Good grief. You’ve only compared 2019. ANB would have been selected in round 1 2019.

ANB v Castagna 2018

Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

"Alex Neal-Bullen had an awful 2019 but is an endurance and pressure specialist and a best-22 staple when in form"

From AFL website, nobody is disagreeing he has limitations, but Goodwin, when ANB is in form, seems willing to overlook these doesn't he

Yup,  one of Goodwins flaws.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

2020 will tell us which season was the anomaly - 2018 or 2019.  My money is on the latter.

He was better than average in 2017 too Wiseblood. If he, like 90% of the team, is fit and gets his confidence back he will do his role as he brings something different and runs hard both ways.  He has his limitations but if he gets back to 16-18 possessions, 5-6 score involvements, and ~5 tackles, then I’ll hope he reduces his turnovers from 4 a game but I accept he has flaws but still brings more than he costs. His role in doing the job on half back running machines seems unrecognised.  Think the round 22 game against GWS in 2018 where he cut Whitfield out of the game.

Whitfields 2018 Stats

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Watson11 said:

He was better than average in 2017 too Wiseblood. If he, like 90% of the team, is fit and gets his confidence back he will do his role as he brings something different and runs hard both ways.  He has his limitations but if he gets back to 16-18 possessions, 5-6 score involvements, and ~5 tackles, then I’ll hope he reduces his turnovers from 4 a game but I accept he has flaws but still brings more than he costs. His role in doing the job on half back running machines seems unrecognised.  Think the round 22 game against GWS in 2018 where he cut Whitfield out of the game.

Whitfields 2018 Stats

I'll agree that his 2017 season wasn't too bad to go along with a good 2018.  

However, in both of those seasons we saw flashes of what quickly became a regular occurrence in dropped marks, missed targets, fumbles under pressure and missed shots on goal.  

I'll say it again - he is handy depth for us, but if he starts in Round 1 next season then I'll be disappointed in those who haven't come on to take his place.  I won't blame ANB for that - if he is fit and doing everything asked of him, while others are not, then he deserves his spot.  But if guys like Hannan, AVB, Melksham, Pickett etc are doing what is expected of them, then there won't be a place in the side for him.  He is best 30, but not best 22.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this thread's being a bit derailed with talk on ANB so I'll give my two cents, when teams are playing well there are certain average players who seem to lift or at least their deficiencies are less prevalent and damaging to the team. ANB is one such player, the whole team in 2019 was awful (save for a few individuals that were able to maintain high quality output), but because of that ANB's deficiencies were full on display and exposed. 

His game, his worth to the team is his high athletic output and the one percenters that he produced in 2018, his role wasn't glamorous but it seemed to play an important part in that patch between half forward and deep forward. Whether or not he can reproduce that is a big question but if he can, then yes I think he's in Goodwin's 22 (frustrating as it may be for some).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think ANB will be there in round 1. The role of small forward needs different types of players, and he has that bulk gut running ability to make like unpleasant for the opposition. Yes, he stuffs up some opportunities, but his defensive work is really good and he makes us a better team. He’s a serviceable player in a good team, but an ordinary player in a bad team. 

I suppose it depends on your perspective. If you mainly look at mistakes then you’ll hate him, but if you look at what he can bring to the team then you can see the value. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the biggest issue for us in pre-season is debating the limitations of ANB and whether he plays Rd 1 then we have had a pretty good preparation.  Fingers crossed it continues.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/7/2019 at 11:44 AM, Fifty-5 said:

Gysberts cops plenty for that pic because of the relatively light weight but it does depend on how many sets and reps he's done.

Maybe because he refused to run a time trial because it was too hot....

The lack of leadership at our club was unbelievable as evidenced by announcing the youngest AFL captain in history.

It was a cluster888k of the highest order that we are still emerging from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Axis of Bob said:

I think ANB will be there in round 1. The role of small forward needs different types of players, and he has that bulk gut running ability to make like unpleasant for the opposition. Yes, he stuffs up some opportunities, but his defensive work is really good and he makes us a better team. He’s a serviceable player in a good team, but an ordinary player in a bad team. 

I suppose it depends on your perspective. If you mainly look at mistakes then you’ll hate him, but if you look at what he can bring to the team then you can see the value. 

The problem with this is that when he's in a chain and he is responsible for stuffing up that chain the effect is well, a chain reaction. The ball is turned over, efforts are wasted, frustration is built and player buy-in to the the team ethos is eroded. Similarly when shots at goal are frittered away it is a cascading affect - bad for us, good for the opposition

Role players are great if they can play their role. Not do 6 or 7 things out of 10.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2019 at 9:08 AM, jnrmac said:

Maybe because he refused to run a time trial because it was too hot....

The lack of leadership at our club was unbelievable as evidenced by announcing the youngest AFL captain in history.

It was a cluster888k of the highest order that we are still emerging from.

Even a top VFL club would probaly have performed as well or better if there was a relegation model in place.

Coming from a very long way back were we and some of those skeletons probably resurfaced a little at times this season imv (mentally).

Hopefully we can exorcise a few more of those skellies in 2020.  Going to be a very interesting and a telling one for this club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2019 at 9:11 AM, jnrmac said:

The problem with this is that when he's in a chain and he is responsible for stuffing up that chain the effect is well, a chain reaction. The ball is turned over, efforts are wasted, frustration is built and player buy-in to the the team ethos is eroded. Similarly when shots at goal are frittered away it is a cascading affect - bad for us, good for the opposition

Role players are great if they can play their role. Not do 6 or 7 things out of 10.

The turnover/clanger missed goal factor also gives the opposition coaching panel and its team a bit of an out in the sense that if they know a player isn't very damaging with ball in hand then his direct opponent can be given a bit more licence.  Thereby offering more time, space & freedom to play forward of the ball or away from a stoppage as an additional outlet / spread player.  Off the leash if you like.

Allocate a very good player as the match up also and all of a sudden a player like ANB has a big task on his hands not only trying to counter that disrespect / positioning factor (space/time) but also the improved finishing opportunities now given to an already highly talented opponent.  Double whammy.

As good a run with / tackle athlete as ANB might be, and he is elite in this regard, that will end up being a major component of his role in most matches ie;  running his butt off all day trying to keep opponent's output/impact to as little as possible.  Too stuffed to finish off his own good work or that of others in a chain much of the time and often handing it straight back or just selling a player into trouble instead of finishing off the good work at the end of a chain himself (major fatigue factor>finishing/decision making eroded>confidence down of both individual & team).  If his skills aren't that clean to begin with then we are talking major issues with ball in hand.

Whether the regular chain busting or goal inaccuracy is coming from say an ANB, Gus, Harmes or Billy Blogs is irrelevant, the spin off effect right through the team can be a potential morale and momentum killer.

The key is to minimise the weak side of a player like ANB imho.  His running and pressure factor side is not an issue.  We all know he is at the top of the game here.

And this is what separates an ok/good coach from a very good to elite one imo.  The latter see these weaknesses in players and, where possible, allows them to work on it big time.  Maybe focussing a little less time/effort on the exisiting strengths to do so if necessary.

Ensuring that they don't let up until improvements are made and the balance of elite running plus AFL average to good (or better) decision making and disposal is added to a player's arsenal.  Turning him from fringe/borderline to AFL standard, quality or even top end in some cases.

Of course even after all that the player might have his/her own limitations and might not improve much at all.  But assuming a quality coach, support staff, facilities and a number of pre-seasons he/she will at least be given every opportunity to do so.

Edited by Rusty Nails

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

The turnover/clanger missed goal factor also gives the opposition coaching panel and its team a bit of an out in the sense that if they know a player isn't very damaging with ball in hand then his direct opponent can be given a bit more licence.  Thereby offering more time, space & freedom to play forward of the ball or away from a stoppage as an additional outlet / spread player.  Off the leash if you like.

Allocate a very good player as the match up also and all of a sudden a player like ANB has a big task on his hands not only trying to counter that disrespect / positioning factor (space/time) but also the improved finishing opportunities now given to an already highly talented opponent.  Double whammy.

As good a run with / tackle athlete as ANB might be, and he is elite in this regard, that will end up being a major component of his role in most matches ie;  running his butt off all day trying to keep opponent's output/impact to as little as possible.  Too stuffed to finish off his own good work or that of others in a chain much of the time and often handing it straight back or just selling a player into trouble instead of finishing off the good work at the end of a chain himself (major fatigue factor>finishing/decision making eroded>confidence down of both individual & team).  If his skills aren't that clean to begin with then we are talking major issues with ball in hand.

Whether the regular chain busting or goal inaccuracy is coming from say an ANB, Gus, Harmes or Billy Blogs is irrelevant, the spin off effect right through the team can be a potential morale and momentum killer.

The key is to minimise the weak side of a player like ANB imho.  His running and pressure factor side is not an issue.  We all know he is at the top of the game here.

And this is what separates an ok/good coach from a very good to elite one imo.  The latter see these weaknesses in players and, where possible, allows them to work on it big time.  Maybe focussing a little less time/effort on the exisiting strengths to do so if necessary.

Ensuring that they don't let up until improvements are made and the balance of elite running plus AFL average to good (or better) decision making and disposal is added to a player's arsenal.  Turning him from fringe/borderline to AFL standard, quality or even top end in some cases.

Of course even after all that the player might have his/her own limitations and might not improve much at all.  But assuming a quality coach, support staff, facilities and a number of pre-seasons he/she will at least be given every opportunity to do so.

Comprehensive response.

This is where game plan comes into it. Richmond were complete t/over merchants until they developed a plan that the players believed in. They didn't suddenly develop elite skills but the game plan took pressure off the player with ball in hand. Players running to the right space, for example make the kickers job a lot easier . Running to space allows the kicker to put the ball in front of the leading player rather than trying to pinpoint a pass under pressure.

Open fwd lines also make it easier for fwds to run into space.

A large amt of this stuff is coaching which is why I blame Goodwin for the appalling year we just had. Sure we had injuries but players were hopeless with ball in had and our fwd structure was terrible. He admitted as much himself when he said that we didn't focus n the basics but tried to introduce "nuance" to the game plan.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    SOCIAL DISTANCING by George on the Outer

    It was good to see the MFC players practicing the directives about social distancing at the game against West Coast.  Pity was that they continued to do so after the first bounce of the ball, as they allowed numerous WCE players run around un-hindered, with not a Melbourne player within 1.5 metres of them! They then found themselves looking at nearly a 5 goal deficit at the first break, which was to be essentially the final margin for the game. It is difficult to judge exactly what is going

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BEST IN SHOW by Whispering Jack

    I am writing this knowing that the AFL has deemed that the opening round of competition will proceed but fully believing that it should not.  The world is going through cataclysmic change as a result of the overwhelming spread of the Covid-19 virus and I agree that a distraction like sport would be good for the public. However, while the physical threat to the population is bad enough, there are other  issues to be addressed including the mental health of the community and the effects on th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    TASSIE DEVILS by Van Demon

    If you were looking for something new from the Demons that wasn’t there last year, you didn’t have to look further than the perfectly trimmed grass surface of UTAS Stadium last night as the team steamrolled the Hawks to record a comprehensive 32-point victory to complete their Marsh Community Series commitments for 2020. One new thing was the fact that for the second Marsh game in a row, the team finished full of running and they dominated the second half without the presence or the dominan

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SOUTH OF THE BORDER by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons will go into their final Marsh Series match with a strong lineup against the Hawks in Tasmania. Both Max Gawn and Steven May, who were recovering from injuries in first Marsh Series match, have both been named. It is unclear whether Max will be on restricted minutes and will likely get breaks in the ruck with Sam Weideman and rookie Luke Jackson getting their turns in the middle. Angus Brayshaw will be getting his first taste of competitive football despite playing in last week’s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    KANGAROO CAUGHT by Whispering Jack

    There was a fair amount of debate in our area as to whether the game warranted a full blown match report because it was felt that it was really an elevated version of a training session with match simulation but against a team in opposition colours. Although notionally the stronger side, North seemed to be using the occasion for the purpose of working on aspects of their game plan, one of the features of which seemed to be based on taking the longest possible route out of defence and good luck w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    JUST AN ABERRATION by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne unveiled its top recruits with new fitness boss Darren Burgess and mid-sized bull Christian Petracca sharing top billing in the team’s Marsh Community Series opener in front of 3,095 football starved fans at Casey Fields and thousands of others watching on screens of various shapes and sizes.  What they saw was a different Melbourne to the one that failed to run out its JLT Series games last year and then crashed in a heap early in the season proper with performances lacking the z

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 4

    CROWDOWN by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons open their 2020 season account with a "home" game against the Adelaide Crows at Casey Fields. It’s been more than 5 and half agonising months for the team and supporters who are eager to atone for the disappointing 2019 season which saw the Dees go from Preliminary Finalist to 2nd bottom on the ladder. The preseason campaign has been a hard slog with the addition of respected High Performance Manager Darren Burgess. We caught a glimpse of the gut busting sessions in the Melbourne

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE YEAR THE SKY FELL by The Oracle

    After a number of years of linear movement up the ladder, the Melbourne Football Club unexpectedly went into serious decline in 2019, slumping from fourth to 17th in a season that coach Simon Goodwin described “a complete wipe-out”. Those around the club who tried to analyse the apocalyptic events that unfolded during the year were hard pressed to find a single reason for the debacle but the most plausible explanation was that the club’s troubles stemmed from a lack of fitness and injuries that

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...