Jump to content

  • Podcast:     

  • Podcast:     

Geelong Eyeing Our Picks



Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, John Demonic said:

... Maybe that's a sign that we should be drafting Kemp instead.

Not to suggest we should copy a recently successful teams drafting strategy. Only to say that if they liken him to being a Selwood replacement, gee we could use even a first year-Selwood rotating through the midfield at some point later in the year. And the years beyond? Hell yeah. Are small forwards that hard to find via trading/rookie'ing? Papley, Martin, Gray, Betts all up for grabs this year. Why wouldn't it be the same as the years go on?

Edited by John Demonic
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not keen on that. 8 for 14+17 isn’t a good result. Getting 10+22 from Freo would be better IMO. I’d prefer we keep 3 and 8 and take them to draft though.

"Melbourne is expected to call out West Australian ruckman Luke Jackson’s name with Pick 3" [censored] hope not.

I havent invested much energy at all on researching the draft this year. Far too many times in the past have i got super excited about our draft pick based on what has been said about them in the run-

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TheoX said:

"Melbourne is expected to call out West Australian ruckman Luke Jackson’s name with Pick 3"

[censored] hope not.

The under 18s finished playing weeks ago, how has he gone from a late first rounder to risky top 10 to a sure thing top 10 and now to an expeted top 3 pick without doing anything??

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

Not to suggest we should copy a recently successful teams drafting strategy. Only to say that if they liken him to being a Selwood replacement, gee we could use even a first year-Selwood rotating through the midfield at some point later in the year. And the years beyond? Hell yeah. Are small forwards that hard to find via trading/rookie'ing? Papley, Martin, Gray, Betts all up for grabs this year. Why wouldn't it be the same as the years go on?

Papley was on offer for pick 9 and 900k and the deal didn't get done, a player of his quality won't be on offer too often. There's probably only 5-10 guys like that in the league. 
Martin is on offer for 625k and a first round pick and probably isn't a small forward anyway, he's a flanker/mid
Gray isn't much good, I like him but he's not solving our issues just adding depth
Betts is ancient.

A 30-40+ goal kicker with elite pressure is very hard to find.

Not that I'm racing out to draft a small with a really high pick but I think teams are drafting them earlier and earlier and know what to look for now. Waiting for a late trade or late pick might see you waiting a long time.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the the talk of us picking Jackson with pick 3 a ruse by someone hoping we will waste it so they move higher up the order and get someone they want or get an extra pick in the top 10 in the case of Freo?

The Blues wanting to make more certain they might grab Kemp?

Freo wanting us to use 3 on Jackson hoping we don't bid on Henry and they get another pick in the top 10.

The crows wanting to grab Young stepping up a rung with pick 4?

Surely Taylor (Goody) aren't looking to grab another ruckman with such a valuable pick given we don't need a third?

Nobody in their right mind would be that foolish.

Edited by Rusty Nails
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Is the the talk of us picking Jackson with pick 3 a ruse by someone hoping we will waste it so they move higher up the order and get someone they want or get an extra pick in the top 10 in the case of Freo?

The Blues wanting to make more certain they might grab Kemp?

Freo wanting us to use 3 on Jackson hoping we don't bid on Henry and they get another pick in the top 10.

The crows wanting to grab Young stepping up a rung with pick 4?

Surely Taylor (Goody) aren't looking to grab another ruckman with such a valuable pick given we don't need a third?

Nobody in their right mind would be that foolish.

I don’t like it but invariably where there is smoke there is fire. Oliver came from the clouds but the media were all over that. Same here.  

Maybe in this the time of live trading it is all smoke.  Who knows. Doesn’t make sense to me. Seems like a massive gamble. We will soon know 

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Well I must be the only one that actually don't mind trading pick 8 for 14 and 17?

The beauty of this draft is that whoever is picked at 14 or 17 will be just as talented as 8. At 14 the likes of Robertson, Serong or even Kemp could all slide.

The top 25 is quite a talented crop. 

No Im with you DD

3 & 8 Jackson/Young & Robertson/Kemp looks good

3, 14 & 17 Jackson/Young, Robertson/Weightman/Bergman & Sharp also looks good

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

I really hope we're not thinking of taking a first round pick for next year. That draft is shot.

Especially after we traded out of the first round of that draft.

Will be interesting.

Watch us [censored] it up

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ArtificialWisdom said:

The under 18s finished playing weeks ago, how has he gone from a late first rounder to risky top 10 to a sure thing top 10 and now to an expeted top 3 pick without doing anything??

Only in media and fans eyes. Pro recruiters will have had a view all along but it's not in the public domain. 

"Sliders" is a nuff nuff concept, if 10 clubs in a row don't select a player then that's where they're rated, but it only takes one club to really like a particular player for him to go earlier than expected so a "bolter" is possible.

Edited by Fifty-5
  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fifty-5 said:

Only in media and fans eyes. Pro recruiters will have had a view all along but it's not in the public domain. 

"Sliders" is a nuff nuff concept, if 10 clubs in a row don't select a player then that's where they're rated, but it only takes one club to really like a particular player for him to go earlier than expected so a "bolter" is possible.

But it can be a bit concrete than that in cases where information somehow leaks out - either via club recruiters mentioning that they have an interest in a particular player or via a player or his parents telling others that they had been interviewed and been given an indication they might be drafted. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, JakovichScissorKick said:

Called it a few weeks ago. They will try to get one of our  picks to draft Brodie Kemp.  God I hate Geelong.

They can 'try' all they like. We are in the box seat and will do the deal that suits us.

Remember we gave away a lot to get pick 8. Why would we do that if we didn't have a clear idea of what we wanted? And why would we give it away for nothing?

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

They can 'try' all they like. We are in the box seat and will do the deal that suits us.

Remember we gave away a lot to get pick 8. Why would we do that if we didn't have a clear idea of what we wanted? And why would we give it away for nothing?

 

This is where I’m at Jr. I’ve said it before, we didn’t do the trade we did with North to secure pick 8 then on-trade it to another team for two later picks. We went for pick 8 because we want a certain player. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Papley was on offer for pick 9 and 900k and the deal didn't get done, a player of his quality won't be on offer too often. There's probably only 5-10 guys like that in the league. 
Martin is on offer for 625k and a first round pick and probably isn't a small forward anyway, he's a flanker/mid
Gray isn't much good, I like him but he's not solving our issues just adding depth
Betts is ancient.

A 30-40+ goal kicker with elite pressure is very hard to find.

Not that I'm racing out to draft a small with a really high pick but I think teams are drafting them earlier and earlier and know what to look for now. Waiting for a late trade or late pick might see you waiting a long time.

Papley is one of these guys that becomes a superstar because he's out of contract.

He's an OK player but not one you'd sell the farm for. Or pay $900k and pick 9. That's insanity.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Demon Head said:

But it can be a bit concrete than that in cases where information somehow leaks out - either via club recruiters mentioning that they have an interest in a particular player or via a player or his parents telling others that they had been interviewed and been given an indication they might be drafted. 

Like the report last week that linked us with Tom Green through his coach suggesting we had increased contact in the last few weeks.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Demon Head said:

But it can be a bit concrete than that in cases where information somehow leaks out - either via club recruiters mentioning that they have an interest in a particular player or via a player or his parents telling others that they had been interviewed and been given an indication they might be drafted. 

Yes that's another way players can move up media and fan ranking without actually playing.  What recruiters think gets into the public domain. Re-read AW's post, he said "how can he move up without playing?"

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jnrmac said:

They can 'try' all they like. We are in the box seat and will do the deal that suits us.

Remember we gave away a lot to get pick 8. Why would we do that if we didn't have a clear idea of what we wanted? And why would we give it away for nothing?

 

Because pick 8 gives us the upper hand in any negotiations.

We can happily keep it. However we can also wait to see how the draft plays out up to pick 8, then if it’s likely some players we like will be there at the later picks we’ll trade for, we then have that option (but have a level of certainty either way & can force a good deal for ourselves).

Conversely, if we were to hold with pick 26, 50 & next years 1st rounder in hand, and then try to trade them for a pick in the teens when a kid we really want is going to be available, that could become a very costly exercise for us - just as we’re hoping it will be for someone else.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The only understandable trade would be in real time if we can’t get the kid we want - otherwise, why do the trade with NM in the first place? We would be giving up next years 1st round pick for to late first rounders in two trades entirely made up of picks?

No following that logic path.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2019 at 8:36 PM, deebug said:

We should be the ones drafting Kemp not any other team🤬

DON'T YOU DO IT JASON TAYLOR!!!!!

If we miss out on this kid, i will be so (bipped) off

Naturally.  Cats know Kemp can be an absolute star. They are rabid to get him. Tell them to fu&))& off. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

This is where I’m at Jr. I’ve said it before, we didn’t do the trade we did with North to secure pick 8 then on-trade it to another team for two later picks. We went for pick 8 because we want a certain player. 

Let’s say Kemp at 8 could be an option. But what happens if we bid on Green at 3?

GWS have 6. What are the rules for them to do this trade to Geelong: p6 for 14&17. I understand they get Green with 14 and later picks, then still have 17.

They’re not going to do nothing and waste 6 if they can do the split. Or am I misunderstanding the system?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, No10 said:

Let’s say Kemp at 8 could be an option. But what happens if we bid on Green at 3?

GWS have 6. What are the rules for them to do this trade to Geelong: p6 for 14&17. I understand they get Green with 14 and later picks, then still have 17.

They’re not going to do nothing and waste 6 if they can do the split. Or am I misunderstanding the system?

That’s essentially the old Academy/Father-Son bidding system. Now the AFL use a Draft Value Index which assigns a relative points value for each pick. Because Green is one of GWS’s Academy Players, they will get a discount so their pick 6 will beat our pick 3 and they’ll pick him up. If they trade 6 for 14 and 17, pick 14 alone wouldn’t be enough to trump our bid. I’m not sure on the value of each pick pick but 14 and 17 combined may not be enough to beat our bid.

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

8 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Naturally.  Cats know Kemp can be an absolute star. They are rabid to get him. Tell them to fu&))& off. 

If we let this kid slip through to another club, then we will come to regret it for years to come.

Why the hell should we help nay other club?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    HOT PIES FREEZE DEES by George on the Outer

    In the Annual Big Freeze game in support of Neale Daniher's fight against MND, it was Collingwood who froze the ambitions of the Demons, and it now challenges them to thaw out their prospects in the second half of the season. Even though Melbourne opened the scoring account, it was quickly countered by Collingwood, as the Demons appeared flat. And even though they held a minor lead at the first break, it was only through a couple of fortunate efforts, but nothing more.  All around

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    FROZEN by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne supporters are an unusual lot. Their lived experiences over years of witnessing their team’s humiliation at the hands of the competition’s bullies have left them suspended in a Bizarro World beset by a cognitive distortion know as 'mental filtering'. This is a phenomenon that occurs when people focus exclusively and blindly on long held belief systems. They refuse to accept that conditions have changed so when the evidence is present before their very own eyes, their minds are frozen.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 4

    CHANGES: 2021 MID SEASON by The Oracle 

    Since the end of the 2020 free agency, trade and draft period, AFL clubs have had two further bites of the cherry to top up their lists — the supplemental selection period (SSP) and the 2021 mid-season rookie draft (MSD). The main idea behind both was to enable the fulfillment of immediate needs as a result of injuries or unexpected retirements but this year, we have seen the added dimension of straight out recruitment for the future rather than for now. As a consequence, a number of ready

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    LION TAMERS by George On The Outer

    In an enthralling game between two top four sides, it was the Demons who tamed the Lions, and propelled themselves into the position of premiership favourite even though the season is barely past the halfway mark. This is because Melbourne keeps on beating those teams around them who might provide a challenge. Not only that, it keeps winning with emphatic displays of resilience and toughness that have not been seen in a Demons side for many, many years. Challenged in the first half of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DUELING BANJOS by Whispering Jack

    In the classic Australian poem, A B “Banjo” Paterson sought the answer by letter to a question concerning the whereabouts of a drover named “Clancy”. The response from Clancy’s shearing mate was written with a thumb-nail dipped in tar: “Clancy’s gone to Queensland droving, and we don’t know where he are.” Most of us would have felt a little bit that way earlier in the week wondering about the possible whereabouts of the Melbourne team for this week’s encounter against Brisbane. Were th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DOGGED DEEFENCE by George on the Outer

    “No-one let the Dogs out” was the Demons response for the (former) top side.  The Melbourne defence, capably lead by Steven May and Jake Lever simply suffocated any hopes that the Western Bulldogs might have had about leading the competition at the mid-way point. Instead, it is the Demons who now sit at the top of the ladder, again a game clear, while their supporters are starting to believe that this side is the real deal.  Pity is that those same supporters couldn’t watch their team demol

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LOOK AWAY DEMON FANS by The Oracle

    Last week I predicted a comfortable Melbourne victory for its game against Adelaide. “Something in the order of 61 points”, I opined. Well, after the game, I checked the wording of my preview very carefully from all angles and I have now concluded that I have to issue an apology to Demon fans. I got it wrong. I’m not bitter and twisted about my error in failing to predict the coaching errors, defensive mistakes, lack of forward pressure and, of course, the complete failure of those officiat

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CALM BEFORE THE CALM by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons overcame a sluggish first half to run over the Sydney Swans in the second to record an emphatic 40 point victory, maintaining their undefeated record and retaining top spot on the VFL ladder. The game originally listed as part of the Round 4 fixture but delayed due to a Covid19 scare in Sydney and the scrappy way in which the teams approached the contest suggested that the players were still in delay mode. This applied in particular to most of the 12 AFL listed Casey player

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NOTHING TO CROW ABOUT by George On The Outer

    Melbourne’s nine game winning streak  came to an end in Adelaide with a one point loss to the Crows. Losing to a team that had only won three games for the season, having lost five in a row was certainly nothing to crow about.  All around the ground players collectively put in their poorest performance for the year.  The loss of Christian Salem before the match was critical, as his replacement Nev Jetta is a mere shadow the player he once was. The mind is still willing, but the body no

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CRYING OVER SPILT MILK by The Oracle

    It had to happen sooner or later. Melbourne has been riding high through the season to date and, with the exception of a small bunch of nuff nuffs who are never satisfied with anything, the club has attracted more positive vibes from the community in these nine weeks than it did in the past decade. So it came as no surprise to see some low grade stirring of the sort which only the media could come up with at a time like this. The on line site Zero Hanger came up with an article that opined,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CATNIPPED by KC from Casey

    After winning big away from home across the first three rounds of the new look VFL competition, the Casey Demons were forced to dig deep against Geelong VFL at Casey Fields on Saturday. The traditional AFL based teams were evenly matched, fielding ten listed players apiece and this was reflected in the evenness of the game and the final margin which saw the home side leading by a solitary point on the final siren. Casey suffered an early blow when Jake Bowey came off with what ap

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    BLUES IN THE RED by George On The Outer

    While the Demons’ undefeated run continues unabated now at 9-0 their emphatic 26 point victory pushed the Blues to their sixth loss for the season and deeper into the red for the year. While Melbourne opened proceedings with an early goal, the Blues responded with the next two to grab an early lead.  However, as has happened in so many games this year, the Demons fought back to lead by just over a goal come the first break. This narrow lead was part of a streak either side of quarter t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports


×
×
  • Create New...