Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jordan Lewis joins coaching team part-time

trac5665

As I have posted before "The year we had to have" has allowed Pert the opportunity to go thru the entire organisation, an 'Off Field' rebuild.

So much support now for Goodwin that hopefully he can prosper and with that more wins and a stronger culture.

Edited by Lord Ivanhoe
  • Like 7

On 11/7/2019 at 7:01 AM, AshleyH30 said:

I love everything the club is coming out with in recent weeks, it really flies in the face of a few doomsayer posters on this site. I thought this club was in crisis? I mean; Goodwin was to be sacked (didn't eventuate, and ended up signing Richardson to help Goodwin the same week), players wanted out en mass (didn't eventuate, with only 1 player requesting a trade after we didn't offer a contract), Lewis leaving the club disenfranchised (didn't eventuate, and ended up signing him up as a part time kicking coach).

Am I seeing a pattern here? Everything that some have posted as gospel of a club in crisis hasn't occurred, and in fact in most cases, has ended up being the exact opposite!

It's the mental crises of posters projected onto the club.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 8:01 AM, AshleyH30 said:

I love everything the club is coming out with in recent weeks, it really flies in the face of a few doomsayer posters on this site. I thought this club was in crisis? I mean; Goodwin was to be sacked (didn't eventuate, and ended up signing Richardson to help Goodwin the same week), players wanted out en mass (didn't eventuate, with only 1 player requesting a trade after we didn't offer a contract), Lewis leaving the club disenfranchised (didn't eventuate, and ended up signing him up as a part time kicking coach).

Am I seeing a pattern here? Everything that some have posted as gospel of a club in crisis hasn't occurred, and in fact in most cases, has ended up being the exact opposite!

I also love what's coming out of the club recently but it doesn't fly in the face of any poster rightly expressing their disgust from this season.

I'm not sure what your definition of 'crisis' is for a team that went from prelim to second last over the course of a year, but I'm pretty sure moving on an entire brigade of assistant coaches is a good indicator as to what went down in our mid-year 'crisis' meeting.. It was either Goodwin or his assistants that were going to go and one of those two things eventuated.

You can paint it however you like, but the season was an absolute horror show and changes were rightly made. We were in a crisis and made some bold calls. Now it's the beginning of a new pre-season so naturally everybody is optimistic as new recruits, coaches and announcements are released.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

I also love what's coming out of the club recently but it doesn't fly in the face of any poster rightly expressing their disgust from this season.

I'm not sure what your definition of 'crisis' is for a team that went from prelim to second last over the course of a year, but I'm pretty sure moving on an entire brigade of assistant coaches is a good indicator as to what went down in our mid-year 'crisis' meeting.. It was either Goodwin or his assistants that were going to go and one of those two things eventuated.

You can paint it however you like, but the season was an absolute horror show and changes were rightly made. We were in a crisis and made some bold calls. Now it's the beginning of a new pre-season so naturally everybody is optimistic as new recruits, coaches and announcements are released.

100% agree last year was a horror show. On field. And most now understand and acknowledge the reasons why. 

But to say we were a club in crisis is, in my view  complete rubbish. My definition of a club in crisis is the crows.

As evidence of being in crisis you say we moved on a 'whole brigade of assistant coaches'. A whole brigade? How many have we moved on? I might be missing someone but all I can think of is McCartney and Jennings (who technically wasn't an assistant coach).

Am I missing someone? Let's say I am. That means we have moved 2 assistant coaches and one strategy person on. Hardly a 'whole brigade'. In fact I'd suggest 2-3 changes a year would be industry standard. 

Edited by binman
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, binman said:

100% agree last year was a horror show. On field. And most now understand and acknowledge the reasons why. 

But to say we were a club in crisis is, in my view  complete rubbish. My definition of a club in crisis is the crows.

As evidence of being in crisis you say we moved on a 'whole brigade of assistant coaches'. A whole brigade? How many have we moved on? I might be missing someone but all I can think of is McCartney and Jennings (who technically wasn't an assistant coach).

Am I missing someone? Let's say I am. That means we have moved 2 assistant coaches and one strategy person on. Hardly a 'whole brigade'. In fact I'd suggest 2-3 changes a year would be industry standard. 

Rawlings, McCartney, Jennings, Viney,  Sam Pietsch...

You can play the technicalities game but when a club have that many leave, (no matter the terms) over a single off-season, you know something is up.

We had a crisis meeting off the back of our horrendous first half of the year. There was a complete restructuring of positions at assistant level, (that's alarming given it was the middle of the season). And by the end of the year, we had an exodus.

I'm not comparing us to Adelaide, I'm looking at us.

In the eyes of the footballing world, we were at crisis point by mid-year and by year's end something had to change. And it did.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 4

On 11/6/2019 at 6:02 PM, Deemania since 56 said:

It is great news. I have been waiting for Lewis' activation in the coaching sector for just over twelve months now. He has a very great amount to offer the MFC - as a coach/communicator - and it was sad to see such a player attempt to carry the footballing load in the very twilight of his playing career. Kicking coach, forward strategies coach and more. I guess it could all start for him here. Great to have him onboard.

Yes I'm with you Deemania......He has so much to offer our club.....Lewis can kick & maybe he can impart some of his skill onto our midfield...... as well as his years of invaluable experience.

My criticism of Lewis (& some others) was his continued selfish & undisciplined acts that we got so accustomed to seeing especially during the 2018/19 season & unfortunately these  brain fades cost us dearly.....& just hope he is far more measured & calm as a coach & puts the club ahead of himself......Time will tell I guess.

Congratulations on your appointment Jordon.......we are lucky to have ya mate!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

You can play the technicalities game but when a club have that many leave, (no matter the terms) over a single off-season, you know something is up.

We had a crisis meeting off the back of our horrendous first half of the year. There was a complete restructuring of positions at assistant level, (that's alarming given it was the middle of the season). And by the end of the year, we had an exodus.

In the eyes of the footballing world, we were at crisis point by mid-year and by year's end something had to change. And it did.

It would be equally arguable that not making any changes during the year would have been alarming. 

1 hour ago, stevethemanjordan said:

You can paint it however you like, but the season was an absolute horror show and changes were rightly made. We were in a crisis and made some bold calls. Now it's the beginning of a new pre-season so naturally everybody is optimistic as new recruits, coaches and announcements

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

2 hours ago, stevethemanjordan said:

So 2 assistants and a strategy person. Not a brigade then.

Sam pietsch? Please. Hardly anyone would know what he did.

Viney retired and went farming. And had been there long enough.

I'm not playing technicalities. The above is hardly a mass exodus. Again I reckon it is close to industry standard. Gws just made a grand final. Their most successful year ever. And sacked their head of football. Change happens. 

What you call  a mid  year  crisis meeting I call a sober review, with meaningful outcomes. In other words sound management. Meant we were well positioned to get richo, move on mcartemy  in a respectful, non acrimonious manner and not wait till the end of the year to get required change happening. Change that tbey recogised they had to make. Unlike a club in crisis like the crows. Smart stuff. And has paid dividends with the quality people we have attracted.

Edited by binman
Unhelpful and unnessary rudeness
  • Like 4

On 11/7/2019 at 1:29 PM, jnrmac said:

We've done well with Bernie, Crossy and now lewis staying on at the club after they have finished.

Very good for morale and club building.

I totally agree. It’s a real pity the club didn’t see the importance of keeping your namesake in much the same way.

• Like 2

On 11/7/2019 at 1:29 PM, jnrmac said:

We've done well with Bernie, Crossy and now lewis staying on at the club after they have finished.

Very good for morale and club building.

Is Bernie still at the club? Barely heard boo from him?

12 hours ago, binman said:

Viney retired and went farming.

A little like the politician that steps down for family reasons...

Spin it anyway you like 'bin' but there have been significant changes made in the FD as there should have been after a disastrous 2019.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, rjay said:

A little like the politician that steps down for family reasons...

Spin it anyway you like 'bin' but there have been significant changes made in the FD as there should have been after a disastrous 2019.

Am I missing something?

I never said there hasn't been significant changes. I'm not spinning anything.  

Need for change was identified. And they got on with making those changes. Mud season. But not just as a reaction to poor season. Reactive management is stupid management.

I pushed back against claims of a 'brigade of assistant coaches being sacked (if you count Jennings there has been three who have left and only 2 sacked) and a 'mass exodus frpm rbe FD (viney, pitsch, the IT guy - small exodus). That is spin

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, binman said:

Am I missing something?

I never said there hasn't been significant changes. I'm not spinning anything.  

Need for change was identified. And they got on with making those changes. Mud season. But not just as a reaction to poor season. Reactive management is stupid management.

I pushed back against claims of a 'brigade of assistant coaches being sacked (if you count Jennings there has been three who have left and only 2 sacked) and a 'mass exodus frpm rbe FD (viney, pitsch, the IT guy - small exodus). That is spin

No brigade of coaches sacked, that was an overstatement by 'steve' but also your take was an understatement and didn't account for the significance of the changes made. Some pushed and some moving on, who knows where each falls...

Viney, MIsson, Rawlings, Jenning, Macca...it's not a small exodus, these were major players.

Edited by rjay
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, rjay said:

No brigade of coaches sacked, that was an overstatement by 'steve' but also your take was an understatement and didn't account for the significance of the changes made. Some pushed and some moving on, who knows where each falls...

Viney, MIsson, Rawlings, Jenning, Macca...it's not a small exodus, these were major players.

Assistants come and go, it's the CEO, President, Coach, Footy Manager - the key roles that promote stability.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Assistants come and go, it's the CEO, President, Coach, Footy Manager - the key roles that promote stability.

Very true 'Gonzo'...we have a new CEO who is yet to make his mark on the club.

It will be interesting to know how much input he had into the changes made.

The structure is there but there have been significant renovations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rjay said:

Very true 'Gonzo'...we have a new CEO who is yet to make his mark on the club.

It will be interesting to know how much input he had into the changes made.

The structure is there but there have been significant renovations.

As well there should have been. But I think that's different to a being a club in crisis.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Is Bernie still at the club? Barely heard boo from him?

Apparently Bernie V was seen at training last week.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, binman said:

So 2 assistants and a strategy person. Not a brigade then.

Sam pietsch? Please. Hardly anyone would know what he did.

Viney retired and went farming. And had been there long enough.

Rawlings wasn't "moved on", he went to NM and was poached.  So only one assistant was moved on and McCartney had been there for a long time. 

I would have thought that it was healthy to have a few assistant coach changes - new voice, new message and all that and I'm surprised it wasn't a few more.  Jennings (I think) wants to coach his own team with a view to getting into a senior coaching position, Viney's role was administrative and Sam Pietsch was strength and conditioning.

Yes 2019 was a horror show, I didn't enjoy it at all.  But then when I realized that only about 4 players had uninterrupted preseasons and seasons I understood why.  If we fall in a heap this season then it's a real worry but I'm pretty confident we won't.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, rjay said:

My 'small exodus comment' was oxymoronic sarcasm. And 'my take' is not an understatement. As i have noted i acknowledged there has been significant change.

Losing Rawlings, Viney, Jennings, Maca, pietsch and the IT guy from the FD are actually quite minor changes in the scheme of things. And Misson announced he as leaving at the start of the year so he can't be included in the discussion and Rawlings elected to go.

None are really 'major players".As Dr Gonzo suggested the CEO, President, Coach and Footy Manager are the major players.

Look at the numbers of personnel who have just left the Crows following their review. That is an exodus. Every club would have had at least one equivalent of Viney, pietsch and the IT guy leave their club. SOS left the blues and Campbell was sacked from GWS. i'll bet some key people are leaving the Tigers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, binman said:

My 'small exodus comment' was oxymoronic sarcasm. And 'my take' is not an understatement. As i have noted i acknowledged there has been significant change.

Losing Rawlings, Viney, Jennings, Maca, pietsch and the IT guy from the FD are actually quite minor changes in the scheme of things. And Misson announced he as leaving at the start of the year so he can't be included in the discussion and Rawlings elected to go.

None are really 'major players".As Dr Gonzo suggested the CEO, President, Coach and Footy Manager are the major players.

Look at the numbers of personnel who have just left the Crows following their review. That is an exodus. Every club would have had at least one equivalent of Viney, pietsch and the IT guy leave their club. SOS left the blues and Campbell was sacked from GWS. i'll bet some key people are leaving the Tigers.

Looks like we're going around in circles a bit here.

Changes have been made and quite significant ones.

Do I care about the Crowes? No...

Whilst I don't think we were in crisis we had major issues.

Do I think our preseason surgeries were an issue? yes

Do I think we had other issues besides those? yes and we've started to address them which is good.

Do I think there will be further shake ups prior to the start of the season? yes

• Like 4