Jump to content

Lord Nev

WELCOME TO DEMONLAND - LUKE JACKSON

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, JakovichScissorKick said:

Hes not a key forward, hes a ruckman

He has to be a key forward for the pick to work cos we already have Gawn.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

He has to be a key forward for the pick to work cos we already have Gawn.

Gawn is about to turn 28. Jackson will play from ages 22-32 with Gawn aged 32 and either retired or right near the end.

Dean Cox was 27 when Nic Nat was drafted.

Only the rarest of draftees make meaningful impact in year 1. Walsh, Rozee, Rioli. Even guys like Oliver play good and bad games and limited minutes. They aren't as good as you think, often they are playing just to satisfy fans and so coaches can say they play the kids.

From year 2 Jackson will be supporting a 29 year old Gawn.
From year 3 Jackson will be supporting a 30 year old Gawn.

 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, picket fence said:

The most talented player in the draft???

Well go get him! BUT I think he is light years away from that!

You simply cannot waste a pick on someone who cannot kick

Our team is full of them!!!

Mystifying!!??

This is what people don’t understand. We don’t need players from this years draft to make an immediate impact next year. We need the players who we traded for to make the immediate impact in 2020, along with improvement from our current stars. Nothing wrong with looking at the bigger picture with Jackson as our next star ruckman. There are 100 Youngs, he’s only a half back flanker. Let’s get some X factor.

We need to start looking at the bigger picture. 

Edited by Cheney
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JakovichScissorKick said:

Anyone else got the horrible feeling we a are going to completely [censored] up this draft?

Not now.

  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JakovichScissorKick said:

Anyone else got the horrible feeling we a are going to completely [censored] up this draft?

Nope 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Gawn is about to turn 28. Jackson will play from ages 22-32 with Gawn aged 32 and either retired or right near the end.

Dean Cox was 27 when Nic Nat was drafted.

 

 

I'd be surprised if Gawn was anywhere near finished at 32, injury notwithstanding. Plenty of ruckmen throughout history have been playing good footy into their mid 30's.  If there is a position where a mature body and a wise head thrives then it's the ruck. Salmon, both Madden's, Sandilands all played until 35 plus.

I don't think this means that we don't take Jackson, but I am struggling to see him become a meaningful ruck at Melbourne anytime in the next 5-6 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Dr evil said:

I think there is a very high chance we will bid on Green, the Giants will match the bid and this will be part of a ploy to ensure someone else we want gets down to pick 10. weather it be Ash, Young, Stephens or whoever 

We might bid on Green but I think if the Giants decide to match they will split the pick for 2 picks in the teens and match with one of those and later picks. We then have a new team picking at 4 making it very difficult to predict who they will take when we don’t even know who “they” are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Swooper1987 said:

I'd be surprised if Gawn was anywhere near finished at 32, injury notwithstanding. Plenty of ruckmen throughout history have been playing good footy into their mid 30's.  If there is a position where a mature body and a wise head thrives then it's the ruck. Salmon, both Madden's, Sandilands all played until 35 plus.

I don't think this means that we don't take Jackson, but I am struggling to see him become a meaningful ruck at Melbourne anytime in the next 5-6 years.

Sandilands last played a full season at age 32, since then he's played 5 games, 10 games, 11 games, 6 games.

Slowly easing down from the 80%+ of ruck he currently plays to a move 50/50 is probably the best way to prolong Gawn's career. I could see Jackson playing 50% game time in the ruck by year 2 if not year 3. That's a lot faster than year 5/6.

  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

B: JETTA, MAY, LEVER

HB: SALEM, PETTY, HIBBERD

C : LANGDON, OLIVER, TOMLINSON

HF: BENNELL, JACKSON, PETRACCA

F: MELKSHAM, T.MCDONALD, FRITSCH

FOLL: GAWN, VINEY, BRAYSHAW

IC: HARMES, JONES, VANDENBERG, BROWN

Weideman at home doing some gardening?

 

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Gawn is about to turn 28. Jackson will play from ages 22-32 with Gawn aged 32 and either retired or right near the end.

Dean Cox was 27 when Nic Nat was drafted.

Only the rarest of draftees make meaningful impact in year 1. Walsh, Rozee, Rioli. Even guys like Oliver play good and bad games and limited minutes. They aren't as good as you think, often they are playing just to satisfy fans and so coaches can say they play the kids.

From year 2 Jackson will be supporting a 29 year old Gawn.
From year 3 Jackson will be supporting a 30 year old Gawn.

 

Now that we've got a ruck stocks settled, the question that bugs me is: which premier young ruck will we draft in 2030 when Jackson is nearing his final years before retirement? :laugh: We need to be pooling our resources into scouting the under 10's around the country in preparation for that draft. We can't win premierships, but we certainly know how to recruit the best ruckmen. Dwyer, Stynes, White, Jamar, Gawn, Jackson, ???

Not to be disparaging to our great rucks, but would it hurt to think about adding skillful kickers of the ball first and finding a mature age ruckmen without a top pick later, for a change. I would suggest the Tigers are happy they picked Martin with pick 3 instead of Gawn, and then filled their ruck stock with Nankervis from a junk pick 6 years later.

All of this talk about our premiership window being open next year and beyond, but suddenly the same believers are fawning over using our best first round pick in years on a great ruckman/serviceable forward in 2024+ ??

 

 

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

Weideman at home doing some gardening?

 

Has to attend to the never-ending weiding. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Sandilands last played a full season at age 32, since then he's played 5 games, 10 games, 11 games, 6 games.

Slowly easing down from the 80%+ of ruck he currently plays to a move 50/50 is probably the best way to prolong Gawn's career. I could see Jackson playing 50% game time in the ruck by year 2 if not year 3. That's a lot faster than year 5/6.

Would only happen if they could both play forward.  Unlikely but possible. He must be an exceptional talent because he certainly isn't a short to medium term need.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Cheney said:

This is what people don’t understand. We don’t need players from this years draft to make an immediate impact next year. We need the players who we traded for to make the immediate impact in 2020, along with improvement from our current stars. Nothing wrong with looking at the bigger picture with Jackson as our next star ruckman. There are 100 Youngs, he’s only a half back flanker. Let’s get some X factor.

We need to start looking at the bigger picture. 

Some X fACTOR that can't kick??? Yer NOOOO!! WAY

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Cheney said:

This is what people don’t understand. We don’t need players from this years draft to make an immediate impact next year. We need the players who we traded for to make the immediate impact in 2020, along with improvement from our current stars. Nothing wrong with looking at the bigger picture with Jackson as our next star ruckman. There are 100 Youngs, he’s only a half back flanker. Let’s get some X factor.

We need to start looking at the bigger picture. 

There aren't 100 brilliant kicks in the draft.  Some very good ones with short passing and to a lessor degree medium.  Some just as skilled at one or the other or in front of goal.

There's so many 50/50 kicks in this draft in terms of hitting a target one minute and turning it straight over with the next.

There's probably only 20 or so with elite kicking skills (that's a stab in the dark i haven't taken notes) that will likely transition that to AFL level and even that's a lottery.

Young is the best at this skill over short to long distances which is what makes him a stand out prospect with ball in hand.  He can break an opposition defence apart with one amazing kick and open the whole game up for others to feed off and benefit from up the ground, sometimes that one kick making others look great as a result but they still have to finish to do so (which is a skill in itself and those players are just as necessary to find and develop of course).

He can hit an audacious target on a lead with opponent almost hand on shoulder close that many wouldn't consider trying or be capable of etc.

Other times he will just kick to an open obvious target plain vanilla.  But you know when he does it's going to get there almost always with very few blunders/clangers.

He has weaknesses but that one skill is a stand out.  IF he can build the rest of his game and take it to a decent level he should blossom at AFL.  Remembering that he had the best agility in the combine so he is also pretty slippery.  Hand ball is also elite as is decision making, releasing others into space to move the ball on effectively.

This is all at u18 level of course.  Whether that transitions to AFL level, who knows.  Part of that working no doubt comes back to the ability of a club to develop and improve.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Redleg said:

Let me throw a cat amongst the pigeons, hypothetically speaking.

What if our real target is Green, with Jackson as our next choice.

We let it be known that we want Jackson. GWS trade up to be able to get Green and another top 5 player, believing we will take Jackson. If GWS also rate Jackson above Green and we nominate Green they get one or the other but not the second player, if they match a Green bid. 

This could have given us the chance to get Green if he is our target.

Could this be the case, or am I just looking for intrigue?

You spend too much time around the criminal community  :)

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, John Demonic said:

 

All of this talk about our premiership window being open next year and beyond, but suddenly the same believers are fawning over using our best first round pick in years on a great ruckman/serviceable forward in 2024+ ??

 

 

It's all part of the Demon dynasty right through the 2020s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, picket fence said:

Some X fACTOR that can't kick??? Yer NOOOO!! WAY

Dangerfield butchers it pretty regularly but he goes alright

 

i know it’s from 2017, but (btw Tomlinson is one of the best)...

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.zerohanger.com/champion-data-reveal-best-worst-kicks-2017-14091/amp/

Edited by Gawn's Beard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, John Demonic said:

which premier young ruck will we draft in 2030 when Jackson is nearing his final years before retirement?

Kalani White will already be on board by then.  Problem solved!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, John Demonic said:

Weideman at home doing some gardening?

 

Probably more effective there.

  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

There aren't 100 brilliant kicks in the draft.  Some very good ones with short passing and to a lessor degree medium.  Some just as skilled at one or the other or in front of goal.

There's so many 50/50 kicks in this draft in terms of hitting a target one minute and turning it straight over with the next.

There's probably only 20 or so with elite kicking skills (that's a stab in the dark i haven't taken notes) that will likely transition that to AFL level and even that's a lottery.

Young is the best at this skill over short to long distances which is what makes him a stand out prospect with ball in hand.  He can break an opposition defence apart with one amazing kick and open the whole game up for others to feed off and benefit from up the ground, sometimes that one kick making others look great as a result but they still have to finish to do so (which is a skill in itself and those players are just as necessary to find and develop of course).

He can hit an audacious target on a lead with opponent almost hand on shoulder close that many wouldn't consider trying or be capable of etc.

Other times he will just kick to an open obvious target plain vanilla.  But you know when he does it's going to get there almost always with very few blunders/clangers.

He has weaknesses but that one skill is a stand out.  IF he can build the rest of his game and take it to a decent level he should blossom at AFL.  Remembering that he had the best agility in the combine so he is also pretty slippery.  Hand ball is also elite as is decision making, releasing others into space to move the ball on effectively.

This is all at u18 level of course.  Whether that transitions to AFL level, who knows.  Part of that working no doubt comes back to the ability of a club to develop and improve.

Your last para says it all RN. At senior level first you have to able to get the ball. We have recruited a number of very good kicks in the last decade but they have mostly amounted to nil. Because they did not make it at senior level. The trick to recruiting under age players is to be able to judge who will progress at senior level. Recruit is imo a very inexact science.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, old dee said:

Your last para says it all RN. At senior level first you have to able to get the ball. We have recruited a number of very good kicks in the last decade but they have mostly amounted to nil. Because they did not make it at senior level. The trick to recruiting under age players is to be able to judge who will progress at senior level. Recruit is imo a very inexact science.

Very much so OD.  It's a big calculated gamble no doubt fraught with plenty of pot holes.

With regard to getting the ball & Young, one of my thoughts was if we took him as high as 3 then we probably need to be seeing him slowly move into the mid field to justify such a high pick.  While i have no idea whether that's likely or not i note that his contested possession rate in the Nats was 28.7%.  I seem to recall someone saying the magical figure to hold down a place in the mid was 30%.  If that is the case then there's a bit of work ahead but it seems he isn't far off either.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Very much so OD.  It's a big calculated gamble no doubt fraught with plenty of pot holes.

With regard to getting the ball & Young, one of my thoughts was if we took him as high as 3 then we probably need to be seeing him slowly move into the mid field to justify such a high pick.  While i have no idea whether that's likely or not i note that his contested possession rate in the Nats was 28.7%.  I seem to recall someone saying the magical figure to hold down a place in the mid was 30%.  If that is the case then there's a bit of work ahead but it seems he isn't far off either.

He was played as a quarterback for Vic Country during the carnival due to his elite kicking and decision making. His role was to hang back and be fed the ball to setup play. As a player, he's definitely not afraid of winning his own ball. He's no Morton/Toumpas etc.

At Dandenong this year, he played more midfield time and his contested possession rate was 48%. in 2018 his contested possession rate was 52%. Those are high numbers. To give you comparisons to our current players, that's higher than both Harmes and Brayshaw, and roughly the same as Petracca. There are zero concerns about his contested ability, and it's why he's got scope to move into the midfield as well as play defence. 

It's just a shame it doesn't seem like we'll be seeing him in red and blue. I'll be watching his career with interest, as I've seen him play live multiple times this year and he's one of the most appealing players to come through in the past few years IMO. I hope Jackson turns out to be a freak for us!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...