Jump to content
  • Podcast:      

furious d

Poll: Who do you want with our first two picks?

Who do you want with picks 3?  

349 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

On 11/1/2019 at 3:04 PM, Redleg said:

Well, it looks likely, unless we stuff up completely, we should get 2 very good players if we keep 3 and 8.

That would be the best result, I'd agree. The field is tight and the daylight is not wide between what is available. Some astute on-lookers already identify three or four great pick-ups, and 3 and 8 would get two of them. Go for the jugular - do not bargain with available picks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deemania since 56 said:

That would be the best result, I'd agree. The field is tight and the daylight is not wide between what is available. Some astute on-lookers already identify three or four great pick-ups, and 3 and 8 would get two of them. Go for the jugular - do not bargain with available picks. 

Best result would be having 7,8 & 10 imo

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Dees247 said:

Best result would be having 7,8 & 10 imo

Agree if you could get the player at 7 you wanted at 3, but he will be gone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JakovichScissorKick said:

Changing to

Pick 3  - Hayden Young   -  leadership, elite kicking, versatility

Pick 8 - Kysiah Pickett   -   X factor,  excitement machine, goal kicker, small crumbing forward

 

 They're the two perfect players for our list.  We need their types desperately.

Kysiah Pickett would be the highest ever opportunist indigenous small forward drafted ever. The kid has talent but to punt at pick 8 is definitely crazy. It would be a desperation move. If somehow we managed pick swaps etc and got a pick in the 30s, then maybe. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Kysiah Pickett would be the highest ever opportunist indigenous small forward drafted ever. The kid has talent but to punt at pick 8 is definitely crazy. It would be a desperation move. If somehow we managed pick swaps etc and got a pick in the 30s, then maybe. 

We havent had a gun small forward since Farmer.. whos last great season will be 20 years ago next year.   It is embarrassing.

We need to find one.   Happy to use pick 8 on Pickett.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

I think we will be taking Hayden young at pick 3 and Jackson at pick 8. and i'm personally very happy with that. 

Jackson is capable of playing the Lobb role as the third key forward rotating through the middle and giving Max a break 

and Young is just the best player outside of the top 2 

Disagree that Young is the best player outside of the top 2. Green is a better player than Young and may even be on par with Rowell and Anderson. 

I think the Dees will pick Green and GWS will match our bid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Kysiah Pickett would be the highest ever opportunist indigenous small forward drafted ever. The kid has talent but to punt at pick 8 is definitely crazy. It would be a desperation move. If somehow we managed pick swaps etc and got a pick in the 30s, then maybe. 

Looking at previous draft Liam Ryan, willie riolli and Daniel Rioli all went outside the first round to late second round....

 

i dont get why this is always the case with indigenous small forwards,.... if you go back and rate there draft years now theyd almost all be first rounders/top 10s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dees247 said:

Best result would be having 7,8 & 10 imo

Are you sure that would be better than 3, 10 and 22?

Edited by Fifty-5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Carn dees said:

Looking at previous draft Liam Ryan, willie riolli and Daniel Rioli all went outside the first round to late second round....

 

i dont get why this is always the case with indigenous small forwards,.... if you go back and rate there draft years now theyd almost all be first rounders/top 10s

 Cyril rioli went at 12 in 2008 and was real part of the reason the hawks won the flag that year. Was clearly the best of that draft...yet had the dees chosen him instead of Watts or Natanui the club may have been burned down. Of course it didnt need supporters to do that as it did it to itself a few years later. But I think these days you have to be shrewd in your picks and think freely. Choosing Oliver up the order from expected was the best thing we've done in years (Still imagine how we'd be now If we'd picked up Curnow next to him) Im a fan or both Pickett and Jackson for our second pick or for splitting the pick to pick up Pickett and another after young. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

Are you sure that would be better than 3, 10 and 22?

This would clearly be better for us than 3, 8 & 97 even if the later pick becomes 75 by the end of the draft.

Would 7, 8 & 10 also not be better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Wells 11 said:

 Cyril rioli went at 12 in 2008 and was real part of the reason the hawks won the flag that year. Was clearly the best of that draft...yet had the dees chosen him instead of Watts or Natanui the club may have been burned down. Of course it didnt need supporters to do that as it did it to itself a few years later. But I think these days you have to be shrewd in your picks and think freely. Choosing Oliver up the order from expected was the best thing we've done in years (Still imagine how we'd be now If we'd picked up Curnow next to him) Im a fan or both Pickett and Jackson for our second pick or for splitting the pick to pick up Pickett and another after young. 

No. By the time the 2008 draft came around Cyril Rioli was, as you point out, a premiership player with Hawthorn.

Cyril was actually taken in the 2007 draft and it’s debatable that he was “clearly” the best in his draft which produced Brownlow Medal winners Trent Cotchin and Patrick Dangerfield and the likes of Alex Rance and Harry Taylor.

Still, given that we took Cale Morton that year, if we all had the benefit of hindsight, we might well have burned the place down 😀 but that’s the thing about drafting. We can’t travel in time (yet).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

No. By the time the 2008 draft came around Cyril Rioli was, as you point out, a premiership player with Hawthorn.

Cyril was actually taken in the 2007 draft and it’s debatable that he was “clearly” the best in his draft which produced Brownlow Medal winners Trent Cotchin and Patrick Dangerfield and the likes of Alex Rance and Harry Taylor.

Still, given that we took Cale Morton that year, if we all had the benefit of hindsight, we might well have burned the place down 😀 but that’s the thing about drafting. We can’t travel in time (yet).

yes, your right. drafted 2007 and first played 2008. and yes, when compared with the others from that draft its not that clear who the best of that group is! What a year that was. But still the point is valid. We went with Cale because everyone thought he was a top 5. It almost made me weep looking at the others from that draft. So I think you need to be able to think at least a little bit freely with picks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we stuffed Cale. He looked the goods in his first 40-50 games. then he got hurt and the club turned toxic... so bye bye Cale. 

 

I don't look at it as a bad pick, rather a waste of good talent.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Elwood 3184 said:

This would clearly be better for us than 3, 8 & 97 even if the later pick becomes 75 by the end of the draft.

Would 7, 8 & 10 also not be better?

I'm not sure. We can get exactly who we want at 3 after Rowell and Anderson and that has appeal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

Are you sure that would be better than 3, 10 and 22?

Yes, if you look at who is available, I would rather 7, 8 & 10 (personal opinion)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big statement I know, but Kemp looks like a combination between Bontempelli and Pendlebury. Very exciting prospect. Ash is hard to go past as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dees247 said:

Yes, if you look at who is available, I would rather 7, 8 & 10 (personal opinion)

 Conventional wisdom among the draft cognoscenti is that the draft’s top ten is strong and the talent pool tapers off badly after that. If that’s right then 7, 8 and 10 sounds good, especially when looking at our recent experience with players drafted around 3/4 like Cale Morton and Jimmy Toumpas. As I said, it’s a pity we can’t travel in time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

 Conventional wisdom among the draft cognoscenti is that the draft’s top ten is strong and the talent pool tapers off badly after that. If that’s right then 7, 8 and 10 sounds good, especially when looking at our recent experience with players drafted around 3/4 like Cale Morton and Jimmy Toumpas. As I said, it’s a pity we can’t travel in time.

Past failure shouldn't scare us off.  We need to learn from mistakes and try again.  Taylor did OK with Oliver at these picks.

If I could time travel, fixing MFC drafting would be down my list of priorities.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, JakovichScissorKick said:

We havent had a gun small forward since Farmer.. whos last great season will be 20 years ago next year.   It is embarrassing.

We need to find one.   Happy to use pick 8 on Pickett.

If Stephens goes before 8 i don't see why not.  There are no other clear stand outs beyond Young and we need a small forward with major X factor, which Kozzie has in spades.

Kemp is a goer but the year out with the knee is a put off for me given we need immediate goal scoring power.

Edited by Rusty Nails

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

If Stephens goes before 8 i don't see why not.  There are no other clear stand outs beyond Young and we need a small forward with major X factor, which Kozzie has in spades.

We need X factor, but not with him at 8. Maybe if we get a pick in the 30’s, via trading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Dees247 said:

We need X factor, but not with him at 8. Maybe if we get a pick in the 30’s, via trading.

I could be wrong though, as I have just seen the tweet that he has been invited to the 1st round, draft night. Interesting 🤔 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Already said this in another thread, but does anyone know if we can get a list of Th names of who is invited to the draft so far?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dees247 said:

Already said this in another thread, but does anyone know if we can get a list of Th names of who is invited to the draft so far?

Smoke rises to the top 247....the drums are beating & ppl are noticing.  He was rated poorly early on imv.  Time for everyone to re-assess and looks like some have already done so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Carn dees said:

Looking at previous draft Liam Ryan, willie riolli and Daniel Rioli all went outside the first round to late second round....

 

i dont get why this is always the case with indigenous small forwards,.... if you go back and rate there draft years now theyd almost all be first rounders/top 10s

Dan Rioli was pick 15 and in a redraft would probably stay at around 15-20. Willie might be about to miss the next 1-4 seasons and was a fat older draftee, great talent, not sure how high he'd be picked again. Liam Ryan's already crashed his car in to a tree and can do some wonderful things but isn't perfect as a player, not sure he goes much higher than his draft spot, maybe 15th at best.

Pickett looks to have a lot of talent but at 170cm he's smaller than the guys you've named, I'm not sure I'd be grabbing him in the first round.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE 2020 EQUATION by Whispering Jack

    The 2020 equation is simple for the Melbourne Football Club – it must keep winning and it must take some big scalps during the second half of the season without dropping games against the lesser lights. The Demons have gone down this season to the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th teams on the ladder including twice by less than a goal in games that could easily have gone the other way. Against that, they have beaten 11th, 13th, 14th and 18th and though they thumped the Crows during the week, the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE TORRENS THUMPING by George on the Outer

    THE TORRENS THUMPING - LEAVING THE DEMONS BEHIND That headline might lead a reader to think that Melbourne had lost badly in Adelaide but no!  It was actually the MFC which left it’s demons from the previous week behind as it applied the blowtorch to the Crows in the final quarter of their match at the Adelaide Oval and went on their merry way to record a 51 point win before their biggest crowd of the year (even if they were mainly hostile). Much had been made in the media about t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    STATE OF DEESASTER by the Oracle

    Melbourne’s circus caravan rolls into Adelaide on Wednesday night, an event that will put shivers up the spine of every Crows’ supporter as they look directly into the face of disaster. The flakey Demons left their home town a month ago and proceeded to rough up the Gold Coast Suns and Hawthorn in Sydney before moving on to the sunny Queensland where they missed by a bee’s diaphragm against the more or less local second-on-ladder Brisbane Lions. Then, they had to butter up against the top t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    OVERPOWERED by George on the Outer

    In a dismal display against Port Adelaide, Melbourne showed it had learnt nothing from their previous week’s loss to Brisbane. Port, in contrast, after losing to St.Kilda, addressed their failings, and as a result made the Demons look like a second-rate side.  Melbourne failed to score a goal in the first quarter, and the first time it seriously troubled the goal umpire was saved until a minute before half-time.  Did it get any better?  No with their meagre three goals for the sec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DESPERATION OF THE MOMENT by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne’s recent win against Hawthorn highlighted how important Max Gawn’s ruck domination is for the team. A week later however, that domination continued but its effect was totally blunted by the Brisbane Lions midfield and, as a consequence, what could have been an easy win over a leading AFL contender turned into a disappointing but close loss and a sense of desperation now looms over the club as the halfway mark of the season approaches. This week’s opponent in Port Adelaide also und

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE FOUR POINT FAIL by George on the Outer

    Melbourne went down by 4 points in a thrilling finish against Brisbane, but they failed by more than the 4 points.     They also failed to score the 4 points necessary to keep them in the race for the finals, and now find themselves sitting 6 points outside the top 8, but effectively 2 games outside (even though they have a game in hand).   The Demons had more than enough opportunities to win.  Six very easy shots on goal failed to bother the goal umpire with a major and ultimate

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NORTH OF THE BORDER PART 2 by The Oracle

    The travelling COVID circus moves north of the border yet again and, unless at some time in the near future, Papua New Guinea opens its borders, this could be the last time this phenomenon happens. And as fortune would dictate, the resurgent Demons are walking directly into the sights of the locals from the bright lights of Brizvegas to Carrara - the scene of some long-forgotten (and deservedly so) battles with one of the Lions’ former incarnations, namely, the Brisbane Bears. But unli

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ON THE NOSE by George on the Outer

    One of the Hawthorn Football Club’s valued sponsors is Azep® Nasal Spray and given the thrashing handed out to the Hawks in today’s game, it would appear that they need a huge supply of the sponsor’s product because they are simply on the nose. This condition was caused by the sheer dominance of the Demons, led magnificently by skipper Max Gawn with 27 hitouts and 22 disposals including two clearances. Around him in the middle were Christian Petracca with 29 touches, Clayton Oliver (also on

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PREMIER LEAGUE by Whispering Jack

    So the new man under the pump is Clarko, which demonstrates how sad but predictable the football media is these days. In an age where each AFL team’s form can be topsy turvy and unpredictability is the order of the day, the coach of a team that has played five out of the top six teams from the previous season and sits with a 3/3 win loss record is this week’s whipping boy.   This comes admittedly on the back of a bad fortnight from the Hawks who in recent years have exhibited an enormous

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    SUNSMART by George on the Outer

    If you don’t want to get sunburnt, you follow the Sunsmart rules.  Melbourne took the advice and with their season on the line, avoided getting burnt by the Gold Coast Suns, with a gripping 17 point win. It was a match that could have gone either way, with the sides within a kick of each other for all but the final minutes of the final quarter. Melbourne had stretched the lead earlier in the game to 18 points, but that quickly evaporated to a neck and neck race to the finish.  Finally,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NORTH OF THE BORDER by The Oracle

    The outcomes of Melbourne’s recent games against the Gold Coast Suns are a pretty good barometer of how the teams are faring. The Demons easily accounted for them twice in 2018, the last win being a 96-point cakewalk at the MCG in Round 20 when they scored a whopping 21.17.143 to 7.5.47. Ironically, Melbourne’s score of 9.3.57 at the first break that afternoon is leading its highest score for a full game to date this year by 3 points. In those days, they played fast, skillful football, moved th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 5

    PACK YOUR BAGS by George on The Outer

    The scene was captured by the TV camera’s before the match with a view of the Melbourne side’s bags packed next to the team bus to facilitate their flight up north to the AFL hub where they will play their next matches. However, on the basis of the efforts against Richmond, unless things change, and change rapidly, there will be some who will be told to pack their bags on a more permanent basis. Once again, the supporters got much the same story from this match against Richmond, as

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...