Wiseblood

How do you rate our trade period?

POLL  

188 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Love to know why we didn’t go after Josh Bruce or even Josh Jenkins.

We are going to struggle to kick goals next year.

And on that basis C

54 minutes ago, picket fence said:

And on that basis C

15 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Our trading will be ok if we can sort out a small Forward. We still lack Goal Kicking options. Melksham needs assistance 

We need Hannan, big T, Melk, Tracc, to play every game and Lockhart to be our zippy small think we will be ok  we were the highest scoring team in 2018, take out Hogan add Weed, we should be ok

29 minutes ago, Rednblueriseing said:

We need Hannan, big T, Melk, Tracc, to play every game and Lockhart to be our zippy small think we will be ok  we were the highest scoring team in 2018, take out Hogan add Weed, we should be ok

Once again banking on 2018 in 2020

to many ifs for me

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Love to know why we didn’t go after Josh Bruce or even Josh Jenkins.

We are going to struggle to kick goals next year.

Should have traded the Weed, kept Frosty, cleared the lower list. Time for a TMac ultimatum at FFwd. 

6 hours ago, binman said:

Wallace rated team's as winners, break evens and losers.

He only had four winners. We were one.

One of the very few media person I thoroughly enjoy listening too is plough.

He mentioned on Twitter 2020 will be his last year and will retire after that. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

One of the very few media person I thoroughly enjoy listening too is plough.

He mentioned on Twitter 2020 will be his last year and will retire after that. 

That's a pity, there's not much if anything coming up to replace him unfortunately.

The draft cupboard for AFL media people who actually do their homework is not filled with good prospects.

Ex players are trying to out do each other with ridiculous comments to grab headlines and keep them relevant.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, poita said:

Ugly

- We had the 17th best forward line this year - not addressing our dire lack of key forward depth was a massive failure, particularly given that Bruce, Jenkins and Patton went relatively cheap.

They went relatively cheaply because they are not any better than what we already have.

Just because we might be needing a key forward, there's no point unless we are going to upgrade.

Cameron wasn't on the table, nor was Gunston or Brown.

We had a shot at Elliot and came up short.

Pity as he was the only really decent forward on offer.

• Like 2

I would have very much liked to have seen us recruit a forward, or two. The fact we didn’t makes me assess our trade performance as poor. However, I appreciate that we can’t bring in forwards if none is available. So, now I'm wanting to see us use the early picks to go for blokes who can kick goals. This appears to be the only way to overcome the 2019 problem of lots of fruitless inside 50s.

4 hours ago, rjay said:

That's a pity, there's not much if anything coming up to replace him unfortunately.

The draft cupboard for AFL media people who actually do their homework is not filled with good prospects.

Ex players are trying to out do each other with ridiculous comments to grab headlines and keep them relevant.

Totally agree in all points.

I'm constantly amazed how lazy almost all footy commentators are  in particular ex footy players, in terms of research and analysis.

Plough's evident work he puts into the work should embarass 95% of his colleagues 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Should have traded the Weed, kept Frosty, cleared the lower list. Time for a TMac ultimatum at FFwd. 

Exactly, Weid is nearly 22 now and should be kicking 60 goes a year, if he was any good, that is.

It's not like he's ever played well on the big stage either, his best effort in a final, so far, is a mere 24 possessions, 12 marks and 4 goals, useless.

8 hours ago, Rednblueriseing said:

A supposition based on the named players playing every game. Well it’s just not going to happen.  What then? 

9 minutes ago, Dante said:

Exactly, Weid is nearly 22 now and should be kicking 60 goes a year, if he was any good, that is.

It's not like he's ever played well on the big stage either, his best effort in a final, so far, is a mere 24 possessions, 12 marks and 4 goals, useless.

How many players kicked 60 goals this season? Or the last few seasons? Raise yr expectations! Make it 100!!

Very happy so far, now to nail the draft, have a great preseason and see how we go in 2020

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hemingway said:

A supposition based on the named players playing every game. Well it’s just not going to happen.  What then? 

Says who? What I'm suggesting is that if we have any type of continuity in our team week to week with not many forced changes(injuries), then we can get back to that type of football (2018) where we were kicking 100pts per game

9 minutes ago, Rednblueriseing said:

Says who? What I'm suggesting is that if we have any type of continuity in our team week to week with not many forced changes(injuries), then we can get back to that type of football (2018) where we were kicking 100pts per game

Fair enough. My comment was made for two reasons. 

First, that having an injury free list is not a reality and never has been.  The way the game is played these days ensure that players will suffer injuries and need to be replaced. The Tigers have the depth and talent to cover for injuries, we don’t. We have no emerging stars or trades that can add to our forward line setup. 

Second, three of the players mentioned have had a poor track record, namely TM, Hannan, Milkshake.  And to expect Trac to remain on the paddock is a big ask.

And let’s face it these guys are not stars. Trac could be but he has a long way to go before he can be labelled a star.  Can you realistically see any one of them tearing a game apart. They may add value but only in the context of an improved team performance.  

However, I like your optimism and sincerely hope you are right. At the moment I have to look deep inside myself to see that flicker of light.  

MELBOURNE

IN: Adam Tomlinson, Ed Langdon, pick 8, 2020 second-round pick (Haw), 2020 fourth-round (Fre)

OUT: Sam Frost, picks 22, 42, 61, 79, 2020 first-round, 2020 second-round, 2020 fourth-round

DRAFT PICKS: 3, 8

BUCKENARA SAYS: Tomlinson adds versatility and Langdon much-needed pace and outside run, so they’ve slightly improved their list. The pressure will be on everyone at Melbourne to bounce back and have a good year next year because trading their 2020 first and second-round picks plus picks 26 and 50 this year to North Melbourne for pick 8 is a big risk. If they finish bottom four again or fail to make finals that first-round pick will be top 10. Ouch. This draft is strong for classy midfielders with pace, which is exactly what the Demons need so clearly they’ve got their eye on a couple of players in particular. Time will tell.

RATING: 7/10

8 hours ago, hemingway said:

Fair enough. My comment was made for two reasons. 

First, that having an injury free list is not a reality and never has been.  The way the game is played these days ensure that players will suffer injuries and need to be replaced. The Tigers have the depth and talent to cover for injuries, we don’t. We have no emerging stars or trades that can add to our forward line setup. 

Second, three of the players mentioned have had a poor track record, namely TM, Hannan, Milkshake.  And to expect Trac to remain on the paddock is a big ask.

And let’s face it these guys are not stars. Trac could be but he has a long way to go before he can be labelled a star.  Can you realistically see any one of them tearing a game apart. They may add value but only in the context of an improved team performance.  

However, I like your optimism and sincerely hope you are right. At the moment I have to look deep inside myself to see that flicker of light.  

Fair comments I agree but surely we don't have as many injuries and players out of form as this year. I agree it would be nice to unearth a out and out star in our forward line, very hard to trade one in, our club struggles to attract the big guns.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 10:09 PM, Go the Biff said:

Not sure that Tim Kelly = peanuts

Yes.  Wells got Tim Kelly for peanuts.

We only missed out on Elliott who we were after but didn't offer him a mega deal. On face value a B+ for me.

Improved our list but what we do with 3 & 8 and how those players are performing in 3 to 4 years determines how we fared in this trade period 

Beats me how Carlton gets rated so highly when all they got was a VFL ruckman and a 33-year-old Eddie Betts.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, mauriesy said:

Beats me how Carlton gets rated so highly when all they got was a VFL ruckman and a 33-year-old Eddie Betts.

Mmm, I suspect your viewpoint is more objective and less romantic than the journalists...

• Like 1

At least we get most of our deals done, unlike a few other teams.

Langdon looks very good and will fill one wing. Hopefully Tomlinson the other wing, but he can play a few positions if wing doesn’t work. Both seem durable which is great. 

Bit sad to see Frost go, liked his effort and speed, but decision making not the best, as every Dees supporter knows!

unsure why we didn’t pick up a small forward! Re big forwards, very good ones are few & far between.

B+ for me, puzzled re small forward inaction.

1 hour ago, D4Life said:

At least we get most of our deals done, unlike a few other teams.

Langdon looks very good and will fill one wing. Hopefully Tomlinson the other wing, but he can play a few positions if wing doesn’t work. Both seem durable which is great. 

Bit sad to see Frost go, liked his effort and speed, but decision making not the best, as every Dees supporter knows!

unsure why we didn’t pick up a small forward! Re big forwards, very good ones are few & far between.

B+ for me, puzzled re small forward inaction.

On the small forwards they targeted Elliot but couldn't land him. I am assuming they will target one in the draft now. At least I hope they will!