Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jones steps down as captain.

Gorgoroth

On ya Jonesy..... a lot of people sink the boots into this bloke but he kept fighting when we were getting belted every week and still developed his game.

Not a born leader but we had no leadership what so ever and he didn't give up, hope he plays in finals again 

• Like 4

Another selfless decision by a true leader of our club, enjoy the next 1-2 years of your footy career without the huge load you have carried on your shoulders for so long Jonesy boy.

An inspiration throughout the toughest of times at our grand old club, we salute you always.

• Like 5

Personally I'm really looking forward to his 2020.  Has carried a weight on his shoulders for better part of a decade and has never had an 'easy' time.

Not least among his burdens is the role at lightning rod the the kind of embittered snark-addicts that can post foul-spirited comments upon hearing of one of the great stalwarts of the club stepping down as captain.

Nobody who shows that kind of basic disrespect to a club leader should be permitted to ever complain about club culture again.

I hope a properly honored 300-game milestone is in order for Jones, as he refreshes himself making a solid contribution in a resurgent team.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Forest Demon said:

Right call. He’s given great service and gave it his all, but time to concentrate on his game, adding some flexibility and being a contributor in the best 22.

Gawn and Viney will be co-captains next year. I’m almost certain.

Jack should follow his lead and let Max captain on his own.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think this is a good move from Nate. Allows him to focus on pure footy for his remaining games at the highest level. Releases him from the added responsibility.

Look forward to seeing his 2020 season. He's been a selfless servant of the club.

One of our major problems for years has been a lack of on-field leaders.

A leader is made up of many traits: one is the "follow me, do as I do" leader. Viney could offer this if he has a full pre season and performs at his best. Max is another capable of this.

But we've severely lacked the "on-field director" leadership role, especially as we have a young list. Lewis provided some of this, but not enough.

Don't remember who it was, but someone here posted a clip of a miked-up Jones pre and during game and another of Luke Hodge doing the same. The difference in quality leadership, direction and clear buy-in was enormous, embarrassingly so. Hodge is both the "follow me" and the "teacher".

Who can fill this void? Has Max the command to direct the players? Are Lever and/or May the answer? Tmac?

I'm not confident we currently have someone who is capable of grabbing teammates (and the game) by the scruff of their necks and instructing/directing them towards victory in a tight game.

Good luck on the remainder of your career without the burden of carrying the team. You have been a great servant let's hope you can beat Neita's games record.

Captains put their team first.

This is a great move by Jonesy. It's definitely time, but I really am thankful for the years he led by example when there wasn't much of a team to lead. Dark days made a little brighter.

I'm looking forward to Jonesy focusing more on his footy, and contributing to a big year for us. I'm still not a fan of the dual captain thing, but if it's the only way we get Maxxy into the mix, then so be it (if he wants it, of course).

There's a lot of work to be done, but I think 2020 is looking a lot clearer for us...

• Like 1

Will retire a legend of the club.

One of the good things about this, is it will make it much easier for the selection committee to leave him out of the side. We are far too top heavy with inside mids, and he cannot play well as an outside, or link player because he lacks the skill set for it.

Having said that, I hope he gets to 300. Deserves it.

15 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

I think this is a good move from Nate. Allows him to focus on pure footy for his remaining games at the highest level. Releases him from the added responsibility.

Look forward to seeing his 2020 season. He's been a selfless servant of the club.

One of our major problems for years has been a lack of on-field leaders.

A leader is made up of many traits: one is the "follow me, do as I do" leader. Viney could offer this if he has a full pre season and performs at his best. Max is another capable of this.

But we've severely lacked the "on-field director" leadership role, especially as we have a young list. Lewis provided some of this, but not enough.

Don't remember who it was, but someone here posted a clip of a miked-up Jones pre and during game and another of Luke Hodge doing the same. The difference in quality leadership, direction and clear buy-in was enormous, embarrassingly so. Hodge is both the "follow me" and the "teacher".

Who can fill this void? Has Max the command to direct the players? Are Lever and/or May the answer? Tmac?

I'm not confident we currently have someone who is capable of grabbing teammates (and the game) by the scruff of their necks and instructing/directing them towards victory in a tight game.

Also dont forget Hodge is AA captain. Leaders of his ilk, dont come to often. Lewis was never a leader/director - he just played with a few. 

Long overdue but since he has another season he has to improve his personal game if he wants to get to 300. He is not ageing like fine wine. I don’t believe he should be gifted games to get there. There is no defined position for him to play anymore. Superseded in the midfield, is not a genuine forward or defender and lacks pace for an outside role. Last season he faded very badly in most last quarters. Barely noticed in many unless he made a horrible clanger. Prefer to see him doing his bit at Casey next season. 

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 1

I had to laugh a few weeks ago when there were people calling for Jonesy to step down immediately after Walker did it. Nate has been a great servant of the club and deserved that break at the end of the season to make his own assessments (he likely knew before then anyway). Stepping down as Tex did looked bad for me, it reflected poorly on himself, the club, and the coach.

Jonesy on the other hand let the season breathe and did it in a way that just made it a mention in the news reports but not a big deal. 

Right call, right time. Thank you Nate for your captaincy, I hope you’re able to make 2020 a good year to (likely) bow out in. 

10 hours ago, faultydet said:

One of the good things about this, is it will make it much easier for the selection committee to leave him out of the side.

I suspect he's been told there are no guaranteed games next year, which is as it should be.

Father time will probably come knocking before he can have a crack at a flag, but at least he got the chance to lead the club in September, and taste a little bit of finals joy in front of 90,000 crowds at the 'G. He very much deserved it. 

9pVm7iY.jpg

Edited by Grapeviney
  • Like 3

On ya Chunk!

Selflessness personified.

You are a legend Nathan Jones. Your commitment and loyalty to the Melbourne Football Club will never be forgotten.

You have been a magnificent Captain and always been a tough blue-collar player who goes in and gets the job done.

I hope this decision helps you extend your playing career.

Would love you to play 300 games for the Demons and even break David Neitz's record. But as others have mentioned you have to continue to earn your spot in the team. Nobody should be gifted games.

Personally I think Nathan Jones should play as a half forward flanker as I know he can be a handy goal kicker. His 3 goals against the Swans earlier in the year was an example of this.

Nevertheless, I hope Nathan has a great  pre-season and comes back the fittest he has ever been and proves the doubters wrong.

All the best for 2020 with the Demons Nathan!

Edited by Supreme_Demon
  • Like 1