Jump to content

  • Podcast:     

  • Podcast:     


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You have to laugh... I really hope this sort of stuff burns in the guts of the players and next year we come out breathing fire.

Wayne Carey has predicted us to make the biggest rise next year and jump back into the 8. With a softer draw and far fewer operations, a better club pre season, a few new players and some young d

Good to see a thread the depressives on here can enjoy.

Posted Images


Just another joke in a long line of jokes about the club. Let's face it, if Gold Coast hadn't entered the competition the Demons would be the laughingstock of the AFL.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Adzman said:

Just another joke in a long line of jokes about the club. Let's face it, if Gold Coast hadn't entered the competition the Demons would be the laughingstock of the AFL.

 

Unfortunately  we ARE.... no one's  ever taken the Brisvegas Bogans seriously. ..

We however continue  to disappoint in front of the Country's largest audience. 

Make no mistake. ..we are viewed  either as a laughingstock or simply pitifully. ..or sometimes both !!

I don't  take this club seriously  anymore..not sure how i could expect others to.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wayne Carey has predicted us to make the biggest rise next year and jump back into the 8.

With a softer draw and far fewer operations, a better club pre season, a few new players and some young developing players as well and importantly a good injury run and maybe a slightly altered game plan, I am also confident of us bouncing back to play finals next year.

  • Like 8
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the pic was spot on and funny, even if my gut was twisting on the inside as I laughed and I wanted to swear like Amon Buchanan in the GWS coaching box. Kids in the room helped me hold my tongue. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Wayne Carey has predicted us to make the biggest rise next year and jump back into the 8.

With a softer draw and far fewer operations, a better club pre season, a few new players and some young developing players as well and importantly a good injury run and maybe a slightly altered game plan, I am also confident of us bouncing back to play finals next year.

I’d love to share your optimism RL, but after watching finals footy this year, I think we are a fair way off the pace at the moment. I think that we need 5 or 6 upgrades on our current best 22-26 players and an injection of intelligent leadership, along with some flair. Richmond, basically! 

Normally, I feel bullish and excited about this time of year, but at the moment, I just feel flat. I think that the club, as a whole, has fallen very quickly since the finals in 2018 and the departure of PJ. I just hope that the current administration and coaches have what it takes to start pulling things upwards again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Wayne Carey has predicted us to make the biggest rise next year and jump back into the 8.

With a softer draw and far fewer operations, a better club pre season, a few new players and some young developing players as well and importantly a good injury run and maybe a slightly altered game plan, I am also confident of us bouncing back to play finals next year.

I'll take 9-11 wins as we're now back to a point where we've got quite a bit to do in order for the club being able to build a top list (as least in the foreseeable future)  Not sure the list is being coached well either.  But of course the Coaching dept. can improve much like the list can improve.

My ambition for the club far outstrips the club's ambition.  It's one thing wanting to be great but it's another thing having a great plan to become great.  We've got too many issues to address all at once.  I suppose we're a knockout hope but the substance isn't substantial.

9 -11 wins at least brings back a bit of respectability and we can then (hopefully) build from there.  5 & 17 is close enough to basket-case so we've got it all ahead of us RL.  We're playing catch-up.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Macca said:

I'll take 9-11 wins as we're now back to a point where we've got quite a bit to do in order for the club being able to build a top list (as least in the foreseeable future)  Not sure the list is being coached well either.  But of course the Coaching dept. can improve much like the list can improve.

My ambition for the club far outstrips the club's ambition.  It's one thing wanting to be great but it's another thing having a great plan to become great.  We've got too many issues to address all at once.  I suppose we're a knockout hope but the substance isn't substantial.

9 -11 wins at least brings back a bit of respectability and we can then (hopefully) build from there.  5 & 17 is close enough to basket-case so we've got it all ahead of us RL.  We're playing catch-up.

Yes but we had a ruined pre season, the worst injury list in the competition, a hard draw and despite all that were in the game at 3/4 time in numerous games, as well as simply throwing away several games with poor kicking or goal.

A better injury run, with a softer draw and some new players, coming off a wasted year, which would bite at everyone, gives me optimism for a quick rebound.

  • Like 5
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, 3183 Dee said:

I’d love to share your optimism RL, but after watching finals footy this year, I think we are a fair way off the pace at the moment. I think that we need 5 or 6 upgrades on our current best 22-26 players and an injection of intelligent leadership, along with some flair. Richmond, basically! 

Normally, I feel bullish and excited about this time of year, but at the moment, I just feel flat. I think that the club, as a whole, has fallen very quickly since the finals in 2018 and the departure of PJ. I just hope that the current administration and coaches have what it takes to start pulling things upwards again.

Clearly in 2018 we were off the pace.  But was finals footy so much different in 2019 than in 2018 when we won 2 finals?  I don't think so. 

Seems to me the fall off occurred because of a perfect storm of factors related to playing the game.  (I've no way of knowing about admin issues).    I'm hoping 2020 will either be successful or at least make it clearer which of those factors are the fundamental problems.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well there is always hope, fa

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

Wayne Carey has predicted us to make the biggest rise next year and jump back into the 8.

With a softer draw and far fewer operations, a better club pre season, a few new players and some young developing players as well and importantly a good injury run and maybe a slightly altered game plan, I am also confident of us bouncing back to play finals next year.

Frankly I give more credence to what Mick Malthouse has to say about us.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Yes but we had a ruined pre season, the worst injury list in the competition, a hard draw and despite all that were in the game at 3/4 time in numerous games, as well as simply throwing away several games with poor kicking or goal.

A better injury run, with a softer draw and some new players, coming off a wasted year, which would bite at everyone, gives me optimism for a quick rebound.

Fair enough

We're not far away from each other anyway re the predicted finish. 

But we'll probably get some injuries again to some of our better players and our depth of good players (right now) isn't strong enough to cover for those injuries

My mind could be changed though if we can add 6 starting 22 players including 2 or 3 of those 6 to be added to the best 12.  It's a decent ask but we're in quite a reasonable trading position.

As always,  the off-season recruiting is all important.  X amount of good players = X amount of wins.

Link to post
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Macca said:

 

My mind could be changed though if we can add 6 starting 22 players including 2 or 3 of those 6 to be added to the best 12.  It's a decent ask but we're in quite a reasonable trading position.

More than a decent ask, that would be a mammoth task. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Macca said:

Fair enough

We're not far away from each other anyway re the predicted finish. 

But we'll probably get some injuries again to some of our better players and our depth of good players (right now) isn't strong enough to cover for those injuries

My mind could be changed though if we can add 6 starting 22 players including 2 or 3 of those 6 to be added to the best 12.  It's a decent ask but we're in quite a reasonable trading position.

As always,  the off-season recruiting is all important.  X amount of good players = X amount of wins.

Macca I would have said more a miracle than a decent ask imo.

That looks like a two year change not one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sue said:

Clearly in 2018 we were off the pace.  But was finals footy so much different in 2019 than in 2018 when we won 2 finals?  I don't think so. 

Seems to me the fall off occurred because of a perfect storm of factors related to playing the game.  (I've no way of knowing about admin issues).    I'm hoping 2020 will either be successful or at least make it clearer which of those factors are the fundamental problems.

May have been a perfect storm sue but what I learned from 2019 is that a number of the players who looked promising in the last 6 weeks of 2018 were ordinary / not senior level talents once the better players were not around them. E.g. The Weid mediocre, Spargo could not even look good at Casey this year. We have too many holes in our list to be better than 7-8th if things go our way.

Edited by old dee
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Redleg said:

More than a decent ask, that would be a mammoth task. 

Well not really with regards to free agency now being a huge factor.

It's possible to add 3 - 4 free agents if you've got salary cap space.   And we look like we're pursuing at least 3 free agents.  We should have embraced free agency from 2012 onwards by the way but the antiquated thinking held us back.  And there was a 2 or 3 year warning that free agency was coming too so no excuses.

So it's not a mammoth task at all unless you're thinking like a dinosaur (not you obviously) Pardon the pun.

And then there's the draft and trading for talent.  At least 2-4 good players can be added along with the free agents from our trading position.

Adding 6 starting 22 players is quite feasible especially when you consider that we've only got 8 - 10 good players.  Half our list is either not good enough or not ready.

Anyway,  we'll find out soon enough but I'm reckoning that we will be very aggressive in the off-season. And I expect the club to be quite creative with the  pick 3 that we have at our disposal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, old dee said:

Macca I would have said more a miracle than a decent ask imo.

That looks like a two year change not one.

See my post above for my explanation

By the way,  a starting 22 player can be C+ only.  In fact,  we were playing up to 8 C grade quality players (or worse) for the greater part of this season.

In more simplistic terms you replace 6 very average players with 6 others that are better players.  Ranging from A grade down to B- (or C+) Adding an A grader is probably the big ask but we live in hope.

If you're thinking I'm meaning adding 6 A grade players you are jumping to the wrong conclusion. 

If we recruit as we've so often done in the past then I wouldn't be expecting a great return.  But Goodwin is now coaching for his own survival so I expect him to swing the changes (with the help of the recruiting team)

We'll find out soon enough.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    CANCEL CULTURE by Whispering Jack

    I’m not one who likes mixing politics with sport but it should be noted there have been some unusual trends in the world of sport lately. In the US, Major League Baseball announced that it’s moving the 2021 All-Star Game and the 2021 MLB Draft out of Georgia, in response to the state’s new voting law. Over here, there’s a move to force Carlton to change its club song because the original song on which it was based (written in the late 1800s) has “racist connotations”. The Blues maintain the curr

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MOGGIES MASTERED by George on the Outer

    They say that herding cats is an impossible task but not for the Melbourne Demons who through relentless pressure, scored a commanding 25 point victory in Round 4 over Geelong at the MCG. The team that missed the AFL finals only once in the past dozen years were shown up by the new Demons of 2021 who have recorded their first 4-0 opening to the season in 21 years! Melbourne knew what was coming, and it was Geelong who were shown up for their inability to adapt to the 2021 style of foot

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    UNDER MY SKIN by The Oracle

    The story goes that there’s a certain player from Geelong who has been seen in Moorabool Street crooning the old Sinatra classic, “I’ve got you under my skin.” His name is O’Connor and he’s been tasked to achieve one thing on Sunday by his coach, Chris Scott: to get under the skin of a Demon midfielder on Sunday and thereby tag him out of the big contest at the G. The idea behind the tactic is to not only blunt one of the team’s most destructive weapons but to distract them all from producing th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MAX IN SPACE

    Demon skipper Max Gawn is one big unit at 208cm and lately he’s been standing even taller. We already know that he’s unstoppable in the air when going for a mark but with three consecutive victories to open the season, you might say that he has his head in the clouds.  And that is literally true thanks to a fan at Demonland.com who recently arranged for our big ruckman to go even further than the clouds but way beyond to the edge of space and into the stratosphere. And this photograph of Ma

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 25

    CAPITAL PUNISHMENT by George on the Outer

    A 34-point win in the nation’s capital has seen the Demons kill the Giants hopes early in the 2021 season. It wasn’t only the scoreboard, but a succession of injuries to major players for GWS that has put paid to their aspirations. The winning result wasn’t just due to the opposition losing players, but also to the relentless pressure from this 2021 Melbourne side that put them in the winners circle. In past years, a 16 point deficit at the first change combined with a rampant Toby Greene w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    POWER AND THE PASSION by Whispering Jack

    The Demons ran out for their Qualifying Final match against the Fremantle Dockers at Casey Fields as the sounds of Midnight Oils’ “Power and the Passion cascaded over the mainly friendly pro-Melbourne crowd. It was a far cry from the season opener at Carrara in late January where few of their fans were in attendance in high 20’s heat and humidity and silence greeted every score from the slow-starting Demons. They ran away from the lowly Suns, won comfortably in the end and followed that with ano

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BREAK OUT by Whispering Jack

    Despite the chaotic events occurring in Canberra over the past few weeks, one thing is for certain. This weekend’s game at Manuka Oval in the nation’s capital between the GWS Giants and Melbourne will decide which of Scott Morrison or Leon Cameron is the most under the pump at this point in time.  This time twelve months ago, the Giants were coming off a season in which they had played off in a grand final. They opened up their 2020 campaign with a resounding 32-point victory in round 1 aga

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MARVELOUS PRESSURE by George on the Outer

    Is this a new form of Melbourne which has suddenly emerged in 2021?  In the past, whenever the pressure was applied, the team would falter early and as a consequence, it would more often than not, be forced to confront its own self-inflicted failure. But perhaps not so this year. The match at Marvel Stadium against the Saints provided an insight into how creating pressure, actually relieves it on the club, players and coach. Right from the start, Melbourne was there to make a stat

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    STUCK IN THE MIDDLE by The Oracle

    Throughout the off season, St Kilda was touted as an improver and a possible challenger for a top four position mainly off the back of another good trade and draft period at the end of last year. Then in Round 1, the undermanned Saints made a shaky start and almost succumbed to the Giants but they managed to come home from a wet and woolly Sydney with the four points intact. For Round 2, they have a couple of handy players returning so they come into the the game at Marvel Stadium choc

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A SCRAPPY, SLOPPY SUCCESS by George on the Outer

    After what seemed like an eternity without Footy in Melbourne, the Demons and their fans produced a scrappy, sloppy yet successful return to the MCG. Yet is was against an interstate team from the furthest reaches of the country, but the 21K fans who made it through the gates, was way below expectations for numbers.  Sure it can’t have helped with all the difficulty that Ticketek imposed just to get a ticket, and since you just couldn’t walk up, perhaps the number wasn’t that surprising.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    UNFINISHED BUSINESS by Whispering Jack

    The Melbourne Football Club has unfinished business with Fremantle after that unexpected loss in their previous clash at Cazaly’s Stadium in Cairns cost it a place in last year’s finals campaign.   Back then, the tired Demons spluttered listlessly through the humid conditions in tropical far North Queensland playing in and losing two games in the space of four days and against two lowly clubs. The end result was much more than an embarrassment for the club given what was at stake at th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    PRACTICE PUMMELLING by George on the Outer

    Was this a practice for what lay ahead for the Demons in 2021 or was it an outcome to expect because it was used as a true practice game? Those of us on the outside will never know, but a 39 point loss to the Western Bulldogs was a pummelling in anyone’s language. We can draw some consolation from the players that Melbourne put on the field, with Toby Bedford, Jake Bowey, Kade Chandler, James Jordon and Tom Sparrow each getting a guernsey whereas they probably would not normally be in the f

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports


×
×
  • Create New...