Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Minor rant

CHF

12 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

All wanky buzz words that have no actual meaning that were made up by ‘institutions’ like Leading Teams etc. Anyone that uses words like these is incapable of having an independent thought and completely lack self-awareness. 

“I ask the players/I talk to the players at training, you don’t”. Only wnkers say that.

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, CHF said:

I am of an age where I have more well trodden path behind me than open road in front of me. My age may go some way towards my attitude toward the modern day use of some words now employed in footy circles.

There are two in particular that annoy me.

"Craft" - as in "Preuss to work on forward craft." When I was growing up footballers had skills. There was an art to how the position were played. Referring to something as a craft, to me removes art from a player. Removes the imagination that players require. We have all seen players do something otherworldly that is in no way a 'craft'. I would love this word banished from the MFC coaching panel and replaced with discussion about skills and imagination.

"Learnings" - They are lessons FFS.

Thank you for reading. I am sure there are other things in the same vein that annoy people. 

I find these 2 words really interesting. Craft and Art...

There are very few true artists in the world but the word is often overused on TV shows like the voice where there are all being called artists when many barely have a grip on their craft.

There are also only the elite that could possibly be called artists as footballers, more are good at their craft and a great number of plodders at the level.

The word craft when used in training terms like craft session though does conjure up the thought of kids doing art & craft at primary school, I visualise images of players sitting around doing finger painting and the like.

To here the latest rubbish and mangling of the language in the name of cutting edge AFL coach speak go no further the Jennings...the man is full of this babble...

• Like 1

Come on, when someone works on a craft, more likely they are doing macrame or pottery, aren't they? What the?

I know this is not a recent one, but I dislike intensely the "yeah, nah" I hear in interviews. What does this mean? Is the person agreeing, or disagreeing? They sound uneducated. I wish they would stop.

"Streaming down the ground". Have the players turned into water?

• Like 4

" Such and such is ' playing the quarterback roll '. Ah, no dummy, no one here is playing the quarterback roll.

Shut up Bwoooooooce. !!!!!!!!!!

And if I hear Brian Taylor say. " he bee lined it" again i' ll friggin make a bee line for his head and punch it. !!

• Like 1

I’d assumed ‘Craft’ a total wankbag word too.

Over the past few years, however,  I’ve been fortunate enough to share some Auskick dad sidelines time with Gil the Tall Man, during which he personally schooled me that ‘Craft’ is basically learning how to physically comport oneself to milk free kicks as opposed to learning ‘skills’. In demonstration, there was an instance when he held my arms back and I wasn’t really sure if I should call for help or not.

I’m really not sure if that makes the situation more, or less clear but happy to have been able to advise nonetheless.

Some great learnings here. I’m in agreeance with all of it, at a high level.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to talk to the slide to get a more granular view.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

These are the things that irritate me listening to footballers being interviewed:

Obviously: ‘Jarrod is obviously disappointed’ or ‘Mum and Dad are obviously rapt’ or  ‘obviously very painful’  No it is not obvious at all, we can’t see these things!

A little bit: a qualifier so that any opinion is not seen as too strong or controversial – ‘we are a little bit upset that Toby will miss the prelim’ or ‘Jack was a little bit disappointed at being delisted’

For myself: ‘a great honour for myself’ or ‘it is not about myself’.  No no no it is ‘me’

• Like 2

I’m guessing with the new age of football media Where every player is expected to be able to stare down the barrel of a camera and talk to potentially millions of people that some tend to overcompensate with the thesaurus. It’s annoying but it’s better than hearing NRL players say “credit to boys” 18 times in 4 sentences. 

It is well documented on here that the adjective “obviously” being used in every sentence drives me insane. 

I’d love to see this sort of thread on a Collingwood fan forum

For me , ”brand” and “craft” are seriously cringeworthy. These are empty buzzwords when there is no actual substance to a point someone is making. Our former coach uses these regularly. 

Edited by Delusional demon 82

It’s a tendency of AFL commentators to go into auto-pilot and find themselves saying obvious rubbish such as...

“You get the feeling that (team name) really needs to get a goal soon”. 

It’s great to hear the sound of the crowd and the general atmosphere of the game. Having a “mute” function on those muppets would be an excellent feature. That or adopt the Premier League approach and only have one professional broadcaster calling the game, as opposed to several ex-player deadshits vying for “personality of the year”.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

It’s a tendency of AFL commentators to go into auto-pilot and find themselves saying obvious rubbish such as...

“You get the feeling that (team name) really needs to get a goal soon”. 

It’s great to hear the sound of the crowd and the general atmosphere of the game. Having a “mute” function on those muppets would be an excellent feature. That or adopt the Premier League approach and only have one professional broadcaster calling the game, as opposed to several ex-player deadshits vying for “personality of the year”.

Subscribed to kayo this year and was really looking forward to a change in commentators only to find that on the streaming service they take the Channel 7 coverage.

Increasingly the mute button is my friend.

Must say I found the Ashes commentary very enjoyable when we were winning. (Suspect that applies to many sports.)

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 8:35 PM, rjay said:

I find these 2 words really interesting. Craft and Art...

There are very few true artists in the world but the word is often overused on TV shows like the voice where there are all being called artists when many barely have a grip on their craft.

There are also only the elite that could possibly be called artists as footballers, more are good at their craft and a great number of plodders at the level.

The word craft when used in training terms like craft session though does conjure up the thought of kids doing art & craft at primary school, I visualise images of players sitting around doing finger painting and the like.

To here the latest rubbish and mangling of the language in the name of cutting edge AFL coach speak go no further the Jennings...the man is full of this babble...

I totally agree. hearing Craig Jennings on the SEN radio made me cringe, with all those stupid names he had for everything, he made himself look like a complete fool. so glad he's now out the door.