Jump to content

  • Podcast: Grand Final Preview      

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview & Grand Final Preview      

The Taj Woewodin Thread


dazzledavey36
 Share


Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, Win4theAges said:

You would think he'll be at the Dees if drafted as it would be the best for Taj's Deevelopement.

I'm sure bygones will be bygones as past administrations are long gone.

With Taj being a Melbourne supporter he would have dreamt of playing in the Red and Blue. 

If he's good enough and warrants a gig then im sure the club would be all over it.

Shane is more then happy for Taj to be drafted by Melbourne. 

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, deelusions from afar said:

How does it work (not saying it's going to happen but more to understand the system) if Taj and our NGA prospect Mac Andrew are both rated in the 20s?  I.e. no one elects to take them or nominates them in the top 20.  Do we need to choose one or is it just a matter of having enough picks (points) to cover their position if another club nominates?

Expanding on @daisycutter 

Taj: He can be nominated wherever and we get a 20% discount on the 'points' he costs. So if he goes pick 17 it is about 1000 points, with a 20% discount it is 800 points which can be matched with picks 25 and 51. It doesn't matter where he is nominated, we can take him. 

Mac: Needs to be bid on pick 20 or lower. So lets say pick 21 (878 points - 20% discount, so 702). We would need pick say 42 and 48 to match the points. 

This is where it gets harder though. We would need to have 4 list spots open to be able to have 4 picks in the draft to use the points. So we then wouldnt have a pick in the draft and have 2 list spots open for SSP (like we did with Daw and Smith). We can have more rookies etc. so it is a little easier to manipulate, but you cannot stockpile picks like teams used to. 

If Taj got so good in the championships that he went number 1, we could go into deficit and pay the points with next years pick moving back in the draft based on the number of points we owed. 

In short - we can have them both as long as Taj proves he is good enough to get drafted and Mac proves he is not a top 20 player. What a weird situation to be in. 

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites


4 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I would say the recruiters have been in close contact for sure.

Taj was down in Melbourne for a week and trained with the club. 

Shane has also lived in Perth and Brisbane in recent years. One as an assistant coach for Brisbane, and also doing some Academy work in Perth. I would think his time has been consumed with this.

I'm also going off what Shane said in the podcast btw.

Shane is coaching at North Freo in A Grade ammos, doing some academy work with winning edge and is one of the development coaches at Wesley College in Perth.

Interesting PSA fixture this weekend where Wesley host Aquila’s College where Taj plays

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Shane is coaching at North Freo in A Grade ammos, doing some academy work with winning edge and is one of the development coaches at Wesley College in Perth.

Interesting PSA fixture this weekend where Wesley host Aquila’s College where Taj plays

How's he going at school level mate??

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

How's he going at school level mate??

Not sure haven’t seen him this season. Was hoping to watch him but games conflict with my boy who’s a Yr 10 and attending a different school 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to keep this thread going, I've screenshot Taj Season so far stats wise.

Looking at this he obviously wins the footy well and likes to tackle. Playing midfield I believe after being moved from half back.

I am wondering though if he is trying out the for WA state squad?

Screenshot_20210524-104430_Chrome.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/24/2021 at 8:47 AM, dazzledavey36 said:

Just to keep this thread going, I've screenshot Taj Season so far stats wise.

Looking at this he obviously wins the footy well and likes to tackle. Playing midfield I believe after being moved from half back.

I am wondering though if he is trying out the for WA state squad?

Screenshot_20210524-104430_Chrome.jpg

He's in! 

 

20210609_174429.jpg

  • Like 8
  • Love 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Dannyz said:

He's in! 

 

20210609_174429.jpg

Is Jahmal Stretch someone we should know about? Not a common name (and other stuff from older discussions about Steve and Billy, which used to constantly pop up in my suggested Demonland threads ). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Skuit said:

Is Jahmal Stretch someone we should know about? Not a common name (and other stuff from older discussions about Steve and Billy, which used to constantly pop up in my suggested Demonland threads ). 

Raw talent wise, yes.

Production and output wise, no. 

I also believe we are well resourced in the small forward area now and he is no relation to Steven/Billy.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/19/2021 at 11:11 AM, Mazer Rackham said:

Bs and Cs in English, Cs in maths, Ds in drama, As in P.E. & metalwork. 

So he is not an Italian Azzura then, fine by me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Dannyz said:

Raw talent wise, yes.

Production and output wise, no. 

I also believe we are well resourced in the small forward area now and he is no relation to Steven/Billy.

I guess it was a bit of a Stretch to think they were related. 

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My understanding from chatting with a part time scout for another club is that he’s rated enough to be picked up later in the draft by us as we love his attitude, professionalism, competitiveness and hardness.

His overall play/skill set is a bit vanilla and seen by other clubs as a limiting step in his potential. Seen as a HBF type. 

Sounds similar to his old man…. And blokes like Hibberd who had to ply his trade in the VFL as he was seen as not having the required skills and athletic profile to succeed.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/20/2021 at 8:53 AM, Pennant St Dee said:

Not sure haven’t seen him this season. Was hoping to watch him but games conflict with my boy who’s a Yr 10 and attending a different school 

Really, Pennant. What's more important, your son's education or updating Demonlanders on Taj's progress and form ??

The question answers itself 

Get on it !!!

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JJJ said:

My understanding from chatting with a part time scout for another club is that he’s rated enough to be picked up later in the draft by us as we love his attitude, professionalism, competitiveness and hardness.

His overall play/skill set is a bit vanilla and seen by other clubs as a limiting step in his potential. Seen as a HBF type. 

Sounds similar to his old man…
. And blokes like Hibberd who had to ply his trade in the VFL as he was seen as not having the required skills and athletic profile to succeed.

Shane was a HBF but ND pulled a swiftly, I think at Western Oval in the 2000 preseason as a midfielder. 
No idea about Taj, (other than it being a great surprise word in Word or Scrabble) but not doubt JT will make the right call one way or the other. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, JJJ said:

My understanding from chatting with a part time scout for another club is that he’s rated enough to be picked up later in the draft by us as we love his attitude, professionalism, competitiveness and hardness.

His overall play/skill set is a bit vanilla and seen by other clubs as a limiting step in his potential. Seen as a HBF type. 

Sounds similar to his old man…. And blokes like Hibberd who had to ply his trade in the VFL as he was seen as not having the required skills and athletic profile to succeed.

This is such a Simon Goodwin mantra.

He'll love Taj.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congratulations to Taj on his selection but just before anyone gets carried away, Aussie Rules Draft Central’s Ed Pascoe has previewed how the West Australian team may look 2021 West Australian Under 19 squad announced and he has him down as an emergency:-

FB: Jack Avery (P) – Rhett Bazzo (SD) – Finn Gorringe (EF)

HB: Jed Hagan (EF) – Jaiden Hunter (P) – Judd McVee (EF)

C: Corey Warner (EF) – Matthew Johnson (S) – Max Chipper (SD)

HF: Ethan Regan (EP) – Jacob van Rooyen (C) – Neil Erasmus (S)

FF: Jye Amiss (EP) – Jack Williams (EF) – Jesse Motlop (SF)

FOL: Jake South (S) – Josh Browne (EF) – Kade Dittmar (EP)

INT: Zac Fleiner (WP), Kaden Harbour (EP), Brady Hough (PT), Lochlan Paton (WP), Luke Polson (PT), James Tunstill (EP)

EMG: Oscar Armstrong (EP), Eric Benning (C), Ed Curley (EF), Richard Farmer (S), Jarrod McIlvinney (PT), Angus Sheldrick (C), Jahmal Stretch (C), Bryce Watson (SD), Taj Woewodin (EF)

That said, father Shane had to make it the hard way. He was overlooked in the 1996 national draft and was picked up late in the 1997 pre-season draft at selection 18 (out of 20). He was Melbourne’s third pick in that draft with the Demons taking Albury ruckman Leigh Newton at #3 and former Magpie at #13. Woewodin won the Brownlow Medal three years later in 2000.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Congratulations to Taj on his selection but just before anyone gets carried away, Aussie Rules Draft Central’s Ed Pascoe has previewed how the West Australian team may look 2021 West Australian Under 19 squad announced and he has him down as an emergency:-

FB: Jack Avery (P) – Rhett Bazzo (SD) – Finn Gorringe (EF)

HB: Jed Hagan (EF) – Jaiden Hunter (P) – Judd McVee (EF)

C: Corey Warner (EF) – Matthew Johnson (S) – Max Chipper (SD)

HF: Ethan Regan (EP) – Jacob van Rooyen (C) – Neil Erasmus (S)

FF: Jye Amiss (EP) – Jack Williams (EF) – Jesse Motlop (SF)

FOL: Jake South (S) – Josh Browne (EF) – Kade Dittmar (EP)

INT: Zac Fleiner (WP), Kaden Harbour (EP), Brady Hough (PT), Lochlan Paton (WP), Luke Polson (PT), James Tunstill (EP)

EMG: Oscar Armstrong (EP), Eric Benning (C), Ed Curley (EF), Richard Farmer (S), Jarrod McIlvinney (PT), Angus Sheldrick (C), Jahmal Stretch (C), Bryce Watson (SD), Taj Woewodin (EF)

That said, father Shane had to make it the hard way. He was overlooked in the 1996 national draft and was picked up late in the 1997 pre-season draft at selection 18 (out of 20). He was Melbourne’s third pick in that draft with the Demons taking Albury ruckman Leigh Newton at #3 and former Magpie at #13. Woewodin won the Brownlow Medal three years later in 2000.

I should’ve added, my mate doesn’t expect any teams to bid on Taj at this stage.

I just thought I’d mention that we like some of his intangibles and think he’s a great kid. ?? he can get on our list for nothing and turn out like his old man.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

    What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY by Whispering Jack

    When the combatants that are due to face off on Monday night at Optus Stadium last met, it was 11 days after the World Health Organization had declared the Covid19 outbreak a global pandemic. In Australia, the first cases had just come to light, including visiting US actors Tom Hanks and wife Rita Wilson, the toilet paper panic was in full flight and the world was starting to reel in anticipation of impending disaster. Half an hour before this last game of the opening round was due to comme

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...