Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Demonland

Brayshaw a Better Player After 2019

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Unleash Hell said:

Nice summary @binman

we might not agree why changes were made to the 2019 version of the game, but I think there are multiple reasons why our season never got going.

They other issue id like to raise to continue the discussion is the MFC had no ace, no go to for 2019. We weren't fast, we didn't have small forwards who put on pressure, we didn't defend well, all we had was Max Gawn.

I would love to see us excel in an area of the game in 2020. Where do we start?

Is it retooling our mids - like Brayshaw, Oliver, Viney, Harmes etc or is it recruiting in new players?

Structure or ability?

 

Agree with Binman and particularly your 2nd para Unleash Hell.

I think all of Brayshaw, Oliver, Harmes & Viney had surgery or injuries over pre season that made our two way running in midfield much worse. Add in Jones who just wont run two ways and Lewis too slow and you get caught out a lot. Then have back line sitting too high and you have big defensive problems, Dees in 2020 unfortunately.

Forward line with TMac not fully fit and out of form, Weideman not kicking on from 2018 and not one nippy forward, the forward line didn’t function.

Add pre season woes and then injuries during the season and you have a crap year.

After 50plus years on watching Demons, seems like we’ve rarely if ever been a good two running team, and our best football is when we keep the ball moving quickly. Round 6-11 last year we started to really move the ball and play with confidence and it was electric! Hopefully after nearly all our players get a full pre season under Burgess and they train two way running and spread, stop all going for ball at same time, with a soft draw, 2020 offers some hope!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to look for the positives where possible and after wading through some scary stuff implying defensive improvement, I concluded that 'the vibe' doesn't sound like he's requesting a trade. I hope that's the case and that a preseason under Burgess may fix any delusion. 

I do think Bomb-it Brayshaw did learn a lot from his occasional tagging roles.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pewpewpew said:

I for one welcome our new communications minister to the club.

826367-507adc5a-ac20-11e4-a8bb-cac23a3e3208.png.469ed2cc2f30af6e70479de25d0ba0a5.png

Just to see it again. ...GOLD !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Demonland said:

I'll just leave this one here. 

Should have just thrown  it in the bin... (thats where our season and brains trust is )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my biggest concerns going into our pre-season is there won't be proper reflection and critical analysis of player performances. Bradshaw's year has without a doubt (to me at least) been average at best, maybe he learned something about himself and a few things that will make him better beyond 2019 but this year he looked lost at times and seemed to lose confidence in his own ability. 

He is not a winger, and should not be tried there again. He's a guts player that likes to get down and dirty. 

The club needs to stop with the flufff pieces (I understand them wanting to generate positivity) but make it clear that they aren't just writing 2019 off as a year cruelled by injuries and deeply assessing what went wrong with out key playmakers, Brayshaw being on of the main ones!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could pick out many things I dislike about the article but the general the gist of it and the overall content - I just think it’s fair to say that the timing is very poor. 

The club is leading Brayshaw up the garden path with feedback like that.

The season was a big [censored]-sandwich. Sprinkling hundreds and thousands on it with content like this only makes it worse in my view. 

 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah nah. Brayshaw's year was the single biggest reason we went from where we were last year to where we are now. He's that important to us, and to have a 3rd in the brownlow player dish up some of those performances this year no wonder we stank so bad.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Koolaid ....Obviously  now the official  drink at the MFC

We nail mediocrity. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took two things from the article. 

The first was that it’s bad PR. Why send a message to members that we’re happy with how our defensive efforts were going in a year where our defensive efforts were patently not good enough? The article could have remained positive but at least been honest about our need to reflect on things and learn from them. 

The second is that the quotes from Brayshaw don’t look like things someone would say if they’d requested a trade (or are planning to), as has been reported on here. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

I took two things from the article. 

The first was that it’s bad PR. Why send a message to members that we’re happy with how our defensive efforts were going in a year where our defensive efforts were patently not good enough? The article could have remained positive but at least been honest about our need to reflect on things and learn from them. 

The second is that the quotes from Brayshaw don’t look like things someone would say if they’d requested a trade (or are planning to), as has been reported on here. 

Agree on both points. 

 I know it is a hobby horse of mine but our comms are not up to scratch.

But maybe, just maybe your two points are related. Maybe the point of the article is to give some confidence to supporters who have rumours about him wanting out that they are not true.

I wonder if a sub text is also flagging the understanding of how much critical aerobic fitness is to the current game. Maybe that's a stretch.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first impression, and that is all the the vast majority will ever get, is that they are pretty satisfied with what was an awful season.

If that is actually the case then we are genuinely doomed to eternally accepting mediocrity.

I hope there is some underlying subtext that I have missed though.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sadly, these articles do nothing to change perceptions.

a little like a corporate AGM, when the head honcho's try and spin a story (sorry we call it a narrative these days), when the shareholders have seen an ongoing fall in the share price. They don't buy the narrative.

also sadly marketing jargon and communication are rapidly becoming our everyday language and normalized. but marketing jargon never provides an honest or truthful explanation.. we accept that advertisements for material goods are full of hyperbole and bluntly, untruths. 

it is understandable that the harsh reality of our performance is hard to spin but that's the problem.

perhaps the truth hurts too much and the club has taken the view that it has to provide hope to its supporters. but in spinning their message, supporters lose faith in the club.  the club is between a rock and hard place, but a little more honesty would be sensible. when personal relationships are in trouble, honesty and plain, direct and simple communication goes a long way in mending broken fences. 

of course it is possible that there are two different t perceptions. Those of the bulk of supporters and those of the coach, club and players. unfortunately, the words of the president, coach and players are unconvincing. the explanations lack credibility because we have heard them all season. from goodwin down, those delivering the explanations talk like empty vessels, as if they don't believe their own explanations.

you can sell hope for only a limited period of time, unless it is supported by performance improvement and winning games. 

perhaps hopefully we supporters have got it wrong and things turnaround in 2020. 

I don't know, the club has got itself into a terrible position. 12 months ago the club and the majority of supporters were basking in our success and the thought that sustained success and even a flag was within grasp. everybody believed we were heading in an upward trajectory. we have become the victims of our own expectations. 

its going to be a hell of a year in 2020 one way or the other. so much at stake.

 

Edited by hemingway
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tom Morris, on his Live Chat today said:

"Brayshaw has been told he is staying"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mr bean bravo GIF

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

mr bean bravo GIF

Saw that episode last night 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, McQueen said:

I could pick out many things I dislike about the article but the general the gist of it and the overall content - I just think it’s fair to say that the timing is very poor. 

The club is leading Brayshaw up the garden path with feedback like that.

The season was a big [censored]-sandwich. Sprinkling hundreds and thousands on it with content like this only makes it worse in my view. 

 

I swear there was a paragraph about him getting positive feedback that has now disappeared from the article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, hemingway said:

sadly, these articles do nothing to change perceptions.

a little like a corporate AGM, when the head honcho's try and spin a story (sorry we call it a narrative these days), when the shareholders have seen an ongoing fall in the share price. They don't buy the narrative.

also sadly marketing jargon and communication are rapidly becoming our everyday language and normalized. but marketing jargon never provides an honest or truthful explanation.. we accept that advertisements for material goods are full of hyperbole and bluntly, untruths. 

it is understandable that the harsh reality of our performance is hard to spin but that's the problem.

perhaps the truth hurts too much and the club has taken the view that it has to provide hope to its supporters. but in spinning their message, supporters lose faith in the club.  the club is between a rock and hard place, but a little more honesty would be sensible. when personal relationships are in trouble, honesty and plain, direct and simple communication goes a long way in mending broken fences. 

of course it is possible that there are two different t perceptions. Those of the bulk of supporters and those of the coach, club and players. unfortunately, the words of the president, coach and players are unconvincing. the explanations lack credibility because we have heard them all season. from goodwin down, those delivering the explanations talk like empty vessels, as if they don't believe their own explanations.

you can sell hope for only a limited period of time, unless it is supported by performance improvement and winning games. 

perhaps hopefully we supporters have got it wrong and things turnaround in 2020. 

I don't know, the club has got itself into a terrible position. 12 months ago the club and the majority of supporters were basking in our success and the thought that sustained success and even a flag was within grasp. everybody believed we were heading in an upward trajectory. we have become the victims of our own expectations. 

its going to be a hell of a year in 2020 one way or the other. so much at stake.

 

What’s at stake? The reputation of our weak, pathetic club? It’s already at rock bottom. Yet another coach’s job? Goodwin being sacked will hardly be a surprise and based on this year he wouldn’t be a huge loss. 

There was potentially more at stake this year: we could have been playing finals again with this list that played finals last year, and all those forward 50 entries. The players in the forward line were not up to it. The midfielders feeding the ball to them weren’t either. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...