Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jamie Elliott

John Demonic

22 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

And also allow us the luxury of not playing other smalls/mediums who might not be ready for AFL just yet YB.  They can continue to work and hone their craft at Casey a little longer and show us their potential there before getting a lucky window call up through injury, suspension or poor form if they've earned it.

Greater depth will also mean spots in the 22 are harder to come by putting pressure on those in the 22 to maintain their performace.

Something we found out was sadly lacking this season with a stack of games being gifted (yes often through injury necessity) to players who clearly weren't in form and/or able to take the step up required at AFL level.

No one was gifted games this year the injury list was so high through out the year. There was a even amount of casey listed players and demon list players  every week at VFL games, and for most  of time more Casey listed players playing, we used 40 players this year, people have to get it in there head injures and bad form to tommy Mac  where the reason we ended up in 17th, there where times when we only had 26 fit players to pick from.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Redleg said:

How did he cost them a flag?

Maybe the Club should come out and say something...........10 games is quite a few goals, some wins and maybe less injuries and getting them over the line. My opinion ok?

16 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

By far the most ridiculous comment I have read in a long time.

A/A

52 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

"Like many clubs"?  .... Goody could have said the same thing "we'd love him at our footy club" without talking up his price surely.

He is a real worry our Simon.

How does that talk his price up? We would be aware of who is interested, his manager would have told us. This could have the opposite effect, in that we know other clubs are interested this is our best offer and it is open to reducing if you mess us around. If you have a better offer take it there will be no negotiating. If they say they have a better offer and come back to you you know you have him.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

"Like many clubs"?  .... Goody could have said the same thing "we'd love him at our footy club" without talking up his price surely.

You're kidding, surely.

As if those comments from goody would have any impact whatsoever on Elliott's asking price.

That's up there with thinking Tomlinson's game against the lions would be factor in the decision to recruit him.

Double sheesh.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, ManDee said:

How does that talk his price up? We would be aware of who is interested, his manager would have told us. This could have the opposite effect, in that we know other clubs are interested this is our best offer and it is open to reducing if you mess us around. If you have a better offer take it there will be no negotiating. If they say they have a better offer and come back to you you know you have him.

You've spoken to him then MD?

39 minutes ago, binman said:

You're kidding, surely.

As if those comments from goody would have any impact whatsoever on Elliott's asking price.

That's up there with thinking Tomlinson's game against the lions would be factor in the decision to recruit him.

Double sheesh.

So officially hearing that our coach is super eager to get him along with "many others" doesn't effect his manager's ability to upsell a little Bin?

Surely you aren't that naive.

Edited by Rusty Nails

20 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

So officially hearing that our coach is super eager to get him along with "many others" doesn't effect his manager's ability to upsell a little Bin?

And if Goody had been lukewarm Elliott might have said "they aren't really interested".  You're just looking for reasons to criticize. 

I don't think Bin is naive.

Edited by Baghdad Bob
  • Like 9

5 minutes ago, Baghdad Bob said:

And if Goody had been lukewarm Elliott might have said "they aren't really interested".  You're just looking for reasons to criticize. 

Not looking at all BB.  Just calling as i see / read it.  Certainly don't expect Goody to say the opposite and to expect so would also be very naive.

You might wish to re-read what i said as i'm not inferring he totally [censored] up as you are suggesting.

All i'm saying is there's nothing to be gained by adding the "Many clubs" line into the comment.  The rest was fine.

46 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Do you think in the meetings with Elliot and his manager Goodwin didn't say we'd 'you're a great player and we'd love to have you at the Melbourne Football Club.'

He's not going to 'neg' him: 'Jamie, you're terrible; no one else wants you; you're lucky to have us... sign now!'

He is in demand with 4-5 clubs wanting him to choose them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Do you think in the meetings with Elliot and his manager Goodwin didn't say we'd 'you're a great player and we'd love to have you at the Melbourne Football Club.'

He's not going to 'neg' him: 'Jamie, you're terrible; no one else wants you; you're lucky to have us... sign now!'

He is in demand with 4-5 clubs wanting him to choose them.

Feel free to re-read the post again 39...i'm not saying he shouldn't say positives about the prospective recruit at all.  You and a few others are conveniently missing the point i was making to make a contrary argument.

Feel free to make one but could you at least address the point in question please.

1 hour ago, Baghdad Bob said:

What a coach says in the media and what offers his manager is fielding from the club are two very different things. He would know that 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rusty Nails said:

As if Elliot was not aware Goody is super eager to get him, or that other clubs are also keen. These discussions would have been going on for at least 12 months - or more.

Every club in the league would know who other clubs are looking at. Well before it leaks into the media or football forums

Elliot and his manager would know exactly how keen or other wise we are. Dollars would have already been put out there. For Pete's sake the club officially announced our interest in drafting him a couple of weeks back. You don't so that unless you are super keen.

I reiterate  Goody's comments would have absolutely zero influence  on his Elliot's manager's ability to wrangle a higher contract. Zero.

Edited by binman
  • Like 5

58 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Feel free to re-read the post again 39...i'm not saying he shouldn't say positives about the prospective recruit at all.  You and a few others are conveniently missing the point i was making to make a contrary argument.

Feel free to make one but could you at least address the point in question please.

In no way could his interview have talked up his price.

Elliot and his manager know we want him.

Elliot and his manager know other clubs want him.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

How would saying every club would like to have him or I doubt many clubs would like him have any effect on his value? If you go to an auction and a prospective buyer says I'd like this house and so would many others do you seriously think other bidders will think I better pay more? We go into auctions with a price that we will go up to as a maximum and hope to get it cheaper, no amount of spruiking will affect the price, actual other interested bidders will. Another bidder may value the property higher than you but you can't do anything about that.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ManDee said:

How would saying every club would like to have him or I doubt many clubs would like him have any effect on his value? If you go to an auction and a prospective buyer says I'd like this house and so would many others do you seriously think other bidders will think I better pay more? We go into auctions with a price that we will go up to as a maximum and hope to get it cheaper, no amount of spruiking will affect the price, actual other interested bidders will. Another bidder may value the property higher than you but you can't do anything about that.

Why say it at all MD?  Why speak on behalf of 'supposedly' other clubs?  Just get the deal done if it's within budget / cap etc.

Speaking of auctions...the ones i attend anyway, if serious buyers are at the auctions i go to i most certainly know i 'may' have to dig deeper to get something i value vs if they aren't.

If they aren't i'm more likely to get a bargain (albeit there are no gtees at an auction or with any particular item, sometimes just comes down to who is there on the day).  I certainly would prefer the auction house doesn't talk up the stock at hand though.  Would rather they don't say anything and let market forces take their course.  Of course that's with 'buyer' bias.  If i'm the vendor i want the complete opposite and the whole world to be told.

Edited by Rusty Nails

6 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Why say it at all MD?  Why speak on behalf of 'supposedly' other clubs?  Just get the deal done if it's within budget / cap etc.

Unlike you I will answer your question. He is letting the player know that he is valued. It is a feel good thing to say that means exactly nothing, it will not affect his value.

I enjoy your posts Rusty and I am sure so do many others. 

Now are you a better or more worthwhile poster? No, but it might make you feel good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ManDee said:

Unlike you I will answer your question. He is letting the player know that he is valued. It is a feel good thing to say that means exactly nothing, it will not affect his value.

I enjoy your posts Rusty and I am sure so do many others. 

Now are you a better or more worthwhile poster? No, but it might make you feel good.

As i said MD i totally get and respect the positive 'very good player / required player' talk and Goody is saying nothing more or less than any other coach, player official etc would say under similar circumstances.  I just don't see any upside (for us) in bringing in the 'many other clubs are interested' aspect.

I am happy to disagree on this one and fully respect your (and other's) alternate views here.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Why?

Why not is a more pertinent question.

But one very likely reason might be as part of a strategy to play to dees supporters eg 'look we are targeting Elliot, but so are other clubs, which is only natural as he is an excellent player'

Why might be he do that? Lots of possible reasons, such as:

• He is lying and we are the only club seriously looking at him. But between us and his manager we are more than happy to feed rumors that he is wanted man. And why might we do that? To make our decision to target him more appealing to our fans and mitigate against potential criticism of say the terms of our offer ($ and length of contract)
  • To support the positive narrative the MFC have be pushing with  puff pieces of late - look we are a serious player for a wanted gun!
  • To make it all seem more exciting!
  • He is telling the truth (likely), for good reason, and sees no reason not to share it with dees fans or the general footy public
Edited by binman

5 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

How dare the coach be honest in the media and reflect the true status of negotiations/decision making. The horror.

Elliott's clearly got options, we've got interest but sounds like we aren't going to offer him stupid money and he might chose another option. Realistic.

The worst possible media relations outcome for this trade period is that we don't sign any players and get a reputation like North. Tempering fan expectations with free agents who have full control over their destiny is perfectly reasonable.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, binman said:

As if Elliot was not aware Goody is super eager to get him, or that other clubs are also keen. These discussions would have been going on for at least 12 months - or more.

Every club in the league would know who other clubs are looking at. Well before it leaks into the media or football forums

Elliot and his manager would know exactly how keen or other wise we are. Dollars would have already been put out there. For Pete's sake the club officially announced our interest in drafting him a couple of weeks back. You don't so that unless you are super keen.

I reiterate  Goody's comments would have absolutely zero influence  on his Elliot's manager's ability to wrangle a higher contract. Zero.

Spot on @binman

Take Goodys comments with a grain of salt, all the planning and prices would have been agreed to a long time ago.

The only uncertain issues would be, what Elliot wants (to stay or move) and what Collingwood will get as compensation (FA).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

1. In no way could his interview have talked up his price.

2. Elliot and his manager know we want him.

3. Elliot and his manager know other clubs want him.

1.  There is no way of knowing that either way 39.  We are all speculating.  You may well be correct.

2.  Agreed

3.  No argument but i doubt we would know fullly every detail/truth as to every single club that is seriously in play for Elliot.  Recall the Saints had no idea Ross was signed, sealed and delivered till it all went down and were none the wiser at any point during the season even though discussions must have been well under way at least a few weeks out.

Edited by Rusty Nails

22 minutes ago, binman said:

Why? Why not is a more pertinent question.

But one very likely reason might be as part of a strategy to play to dees supporters eg 'look we are targeting Elliot, but so are other clubs, as which is only natural as he is an excellent player'

Why might be he do that? Lot's of possible reasons, such as":

• He is lying and we are the only club seriously looking at him. But between us and his manager we are more than happy to feed rumors that he is wanted man so> And why night we do that? To make our decision to target him more appealing to our fans and mitigate against criticism of say the terms of our offer ($ and length of contract)
  •  To support the positive narrative the MFC have be pushing with  puff pieces of late - look we are a serious player for a wanted gun!
  • To make it a seem more exciting!
  • He is telling the truth (likley) and, for good reason, sees no reason not to share it with dees fans or the general footy public

11 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

How dare the coach be honest in the media and reflect the true status of negotiations/decision making. The horror.

Elliott's clearly got options, we've got interest but sounds like we aren't going to offer him stupid money and he might chose another option. Realistic.

The worst possible media relations outcome for this trade period is that we don't sign any players and get a reputation like North. Tempering fan expectations with free agents who have full control over their destiny is perfectly reasonable.

There is little honour among thieves gents.  Don't give a sucker and even break and keep your hand close to your chest.

We are all adults and get that Goody is going to say we are interested and that we are making a big play for him.  As an adult i also get that like any other FA situation he is fair game and he might stay or be picked up by someone else with a better offer.  I don't need to be told that via an interview.

I just (personally) dislike the fact Goody is speaking / speculating that "Many other clubs" are getting involved.  Obviously yourselves and others don't.  All good.  Personally i see no upside (for us) in adding that part.  The rest of what he said is fine.

7 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

Nine posts from you on this. Dig in!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2