Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:      

List changes who do we cut, trade or go after.


samcantstandya
 Share


Recommended Posts

Tory Dickson from the Dogs is a UFA. Most accurate player in history. Was shuffled out of the team and missed the final. Josh bruce next year should put him very much on the outer. Could be a decent 3rd tall lead up forward if he's still got it in him at 32 next year. Kicked 24 from 17 games. If you're still playing well, age shouldn't be a barrier. He certainly wouldn't be starved of opportunities with our inside 50's.

Give him two years?

(We really shouldnt be having this conversation, when the accurate Sam Lloyd would've been worth recruiting to the Dees the year before)

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, samcantstandya said:

Better options out there. I'd prefer the draft.

Better options that we're probably not in the race for. Varcoe is an improvement on ANB, JKH, Wagner and any of our mid-late pick new draftees that are 2 games from being dropped. Varcoe with his pace and skill, even at his age, is a genuine upgrade on half the list.

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, John Demonic said:

Better options that we're probably not in the race for. Varcoe is an improvement on ANB, JKH, Wagner and any of our mid-late pick new draftees that are 2 games from being dropped. Varcoe with his pace and skill, even at his age, is a genuine upgrade on half the list.

Unbelievably sad, but true.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My thoughts on the list and what they need to achieve over the pre-season. 

1. May needs to get his body ready for the rigors of professional footy.

2. Jones needs to learn to hit targets going inside 50 and demonstrate some defensive intensity. Otherwise he won’t get anywhere near 300 games as he will be at Casey.

3. Salem needs to show more urgency in defense.

4. Harmes needs to continue working on his versatility. He’s our one mid who can play in other spots.

5. Petracca needs to work on his goal kicking. And his gut running if he’s going to play mid.

7. Viney needs a pre-season (sounds like a broken record) and a role in 2020. (Either run with player or defensive forward role)

8. Lever needs to work on his touch and tidy his kicking up.

9. Spargo needs to work on his physicality. If a defensive forward can’t stick a tackle he is useless to us. Speed and kicking penetration should also be areas of focus for Charlie.

10. Brayshaw needs to continue working on his two way running. If he wants to take his game to the next level he needs to work on his ability to hit targets by foot.

11. Gawn needs to work on his goal kicking. I’m a believer that the Gawn/Preuss experiment can work with a fitter Preuss. I’d love to see Max play more forward.

12. Bedford needs to insert himself into games more. He needs to find a way to get involved more, either through his tackling or by playing higher up the ground.

13. Oliver needs to learn to put the ball under his arm and break the lines. You be responsible for ball movement. Be the man instead of giving off the dinky 2 meter handball to a teammate in trouble. Only then will he take his game to a Cripps/Bont level.

14. Hibberd needs to be better defensively, and find that yard of pace he had in 2017. This game passes you by very quickly.

15. Stretch needs to learn to be a momentum driver, not a momentum killer. When Billy gets it, he stops, he props, he moves sidewards, he looks behind him. He needs to get it, use his speed and take more risks.

16. KK needs to play. We can’t afford to carry 3-4 blokes who play 2 games between them in 2020. Our depth isn’t good enough to cover it.

17. Frosty needs to do some meditation. If he can show some calmness and composure when he has the footy in hand he can become a top notch defender.

18. Melksham needs to work on his tank so that he can spend more time going through the middle. He was a real impact player in there in a couple of games mid-year.

19. Hannan needs to re-gain confidence and start jumping at his marks again. He can be a rare commodity in our team in that he is a threat in the air, on the ground and he can apply defensive pressure inside 50.

21. Preuss needs to get super fit and work on his hands. Stop dropping marks you get your hands to, you big lug!

22. vandenBerg needs to get on the park. As I mentioned in another thread, avB was a barometer for us late last year in that his aggression set the tone for the rest of the boys. He’s not the classiest but he was sadly missed in 2019.

23. Jordon needs to put on some size. This kid showed a bit when played as an inside mid in the second half of the year with his left foot penetration and ability to win the footy. He just needs to develop a body that can compete at the next level.

25. T-Mac needs to find his elite running capabilities. I’m sure he played with something this year and it impacted his ability to blow his opponent up by running up and down the ground. I’d love to see him smashing marking contests again.

26. Weideman needs to work on his hands and mark those balls he gets his hands to. I also think he needs to impose himself on contests more by throwing his weight around and having a real belief that he can impact marking contests. These things come down to self-belief.

27. Nietschke needs to enjoy his pre-season. He is effectively starting his AFL career at base camp and can’t fall into the trap of trying to fast track things too quickly.

29. Hunt needs to work on his small forward craft. If he is not traded this period this is the only position I can see him playing long term in our team.

30. ANB needs to work towards becoming a one touch player. I know he is often fatigued when he approaches a footy due to his gut running but he just has to be cleaner.

31. Fritsch needs to work on doing the simple things well. This kid will make the AA Squad of 40 next year if he plays the whole year as a forward, but only if he kicks 45 - 20, and not 30 – 35.

32. Sparrow needs to work on his delivery by foot. He is tough, wins the footy, and has good breakaway speed. The thing that may hold him back is his kicking.

33. Oskar needs to work on his game craft. As a wingman, a position we sadly lack options in, he needs to work out how he can become involved in games for longer periods and not just drift in and out of matches. And he needs a tank. Burgess is going to be busy.

34. Hore needs to work on his decision making. Can he become a player we can rely on when he has the footy? As that third tall/intercept player, he needs to differentiate himself from Lever through his superior ball use. He is far from at that point yet.

More to follow.

Edited by Tough Kent
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Tough Kent said:

My thoughts on the list and what they need to achieve over the pre-season. 

1. May needs to get his body ready for the rigors of professional footy.

2. Jones needs to learn to hit targets going inside 50 and demonstrate some defensive intensity. Otherwise he won’t get anywhere near 300 games as he will be at Casey.

3. Salem needs to show more urgency in defense.

4. Harmes needs to continue working on his versatility. He’s our one mid who can play in other spots.

5. Petracca needs to work on his goal kicking. And his gut running if he’s going to play mid.

7. Viney needs a pre-season (sounds like a broken record) and a role in 2020. (Either run with player or defensive forward role)

8. Lever needs to work on his touch and tidy his kicking up.

9. Spargo needs to work on his physicality. If a defensive forward can’t stick a tackle he is useless to us. Speed and kicking penetration should also be areas of focus for Charlie.

10. Brayshaw needs to continue working on his two way running. If he wants to take his game to the next level he needs to work on his ability to hit targets by foot.

11. Gawn needs to work on his goal kicking. I’m a believer that the Gawn/Preuss experiment can work with a fitter Preuss. I’d love to see Max play more forward.

12. Bedford needs to insert himself into games more. He needs to find a way to get involved more, either through his tackling or by playing higher up the ground.

13. Oliver needs to learn to put the ball under his arm and break the lines. You be responsible for ball movement. Be the man instead of giving off the dinky 2 meter handball to a teammate in trouble. Only then will he take his game to a Cripps/Bont level.

14. Hibberd needs to be better defensively, and find that yard of pace he had in 2017. This game passes you by very quickly.

15. Stretch needs to learn to be a momentum driver, not a momentum killer. When Billy gets it, he stops, he props, he moves sidewards, he looks behind him. He needs to get it, use his speed and take more risks.

16. KK needs to play. We can’t afford to carry 3-4 blokes who play 2 games between them in 2020. Our depth isn’t good enough to cover it.

17. Frosty needs to do some meditation. If he can show some calmness and composure when he has the footy in hand he can become a top notch defender.

18. Melksham needs to work on his tank so that he can spend more time going through the middle. He was a real impact player in there in a couple of games mid-year.

19. Hannan needs to re-gain confidence and start jumping at his marks again. He can be a rare commodity in our team in that he is a threat in the air, on the ground and he can apply defensive pressure inside 50.

21. Preuss needs to get super fit and work on his hands. Stop dropping marks you get your hands to, you big lug!

22. vandenBerg needs to get on the park. As I mentioned in another thread, avB was a barometer for us late last year in that his aggression set the tone for the rest of the boys. He’s not the classiest but he was sadly missed in 2019.

23. Jordon needs to put on some size. This kid showed a bit when played as an inside mid in the second half of the year with his left foot penetration and ability to win the footy. He just needs to develop a body that can compete at the next level.

25. T-Mac needs to find his elite running capabilities. I’m sure he played with something this year and it impacted his ability to blow his opponent up by running up and down the ground. I’d love to see him smashing marking contests again.

26. Weideman needs to work on his hands and mark those balls he gets his hands to. I also think he needs to impose himself on contests more by throwing his weight around and having a real belief that he can impact marking contests. These things come down to self-belief.

More to follow.

Fantastic analysis. There is a lot more to coaching than running drills. I would add many need to work on skills on the opposite side of their body. Viney to look at how Smith has thrived without the Captaincy and become even more single minded in his specific role. Weid to look at Nick Riewolt tapes and lead up the ground. Oliver to learn some forward craft. Salem work on gaining an extra 10-15 metres with each disposal. In cricket terms again, Stretch gotta get off the back foot and be a front foot player. Players to follow Big Maxy lead an work on their deficiencies.Its up to them, not the coaches to be proficient in AFL elite skills. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, John Demonic said:

Tory Dickson from the Dogs is a UFA. Most accurate player in history. Was shuffled out of the team and missed the final. Josh bruce next year should put him very much on the outer. Could be a decent 3rd tall lead up forward if he's still got it in him at 32 next year. Kicked 24 from 17 games. If you're still playing well, age shouldn't be a barrier. He certainly wouldn't be starved of opportunities with our inside 50's.

Give him two years?

(We really shouldnt be having this conversation, when the accurate Sam Lloyd would've been worth recruiting to the Dees the year before)

He is a short 3rd tall at 184 cms. At 32 this month, not for me.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Tough Kent said:

My thoughts on the list and what they need to achieve over the pre-season. 

1. May needs to get his body ready for the rigors of professional footy.

2. Jones needs to learn to hit targets going inside 50 and demonstrate some defensive intensity. Otherwise he won’t get anywhere near 300 games as he will be at Casey.

3. Salem needs to show more urgency in defense.

4. Harmes needs to continue working on his versatility. He’s our one mid who can play in other spots.

5. Petracca needs to work on his goal kicking. And his gut running if he’s going to play mid.

7. Viney needs a pre-season (sounds like a broken record) and a role in 2020. (Either run with player or defensive forward role)

8. Lever needs to work on his touch and tidy his kicking up.

9. Spargo needs to work on his physicality. If a defensive forward can’t stick a tackle he is useless to us. Speed and kicking penetration should also be areas of focus for Charlie.

10. Brayshaw needs to continue working on his two way running. If he wants to take his game to the next level he needs to work on his ability to hit targets by foot.

11. Gawn needs to work on his goal kicking. I’m a believer that the Gawn/Preuss experiment can work with a fitter Preuss. I’d love to see Max play more forward.

12. Bedford needs to insert himself into games more. He needs to find a way to get involved more, either through his tackling or by playing higher up the ground.

13. Oliver needs to learn to put the ball under his arm and break the lines. You be responsible for ball movement. Be the man instead of giving off the dinky 2 meter handball to a teammate in trouble. Only then will he take his game to a Cripps/Bont level.

14. Hibberd needs to be better defensively, and find that yard of pace he had in 2017. This game passes you by very quickly.

15. Stretch needs to learn to be a momentum driver, not a momentum killer. When Billy gets it, he stops, he props, he moves sidewards, he looks behind him. He needs to get it, use his speed and take more risks.

16. KK needs to play. We can’t afford to carry 3-4 blokes who play 2 games between them in 2020. Our depth isn’t good enough to cover it.

17. Frosty needs to do some meditation. If he can show some calmness and composure when he has the footy in hand he can become a top notch defender.

18. Melksham needs to work on his tank so that he can spend more time going through the middle. He was a real impact player in there in a couple of games mid-year.

19. Hannan needs to re-gain confidence and start jumping at his marks again. He can be a rare commodity in our team in that he is a threat in the air, on the ground and he can apply defensive pressure inside 50.

21. Preuss needs to get super fit and work on his hands. Stop dropping marks you get your hands to, you big lug!

22. vandenBerg needs to get on the park. As I mentioned in another thread, avB was a barometer for us late last year in that his aggression set the tone for the rest of the boys. He’s not the classiest but he was sadly missed in 2019.

23. Jordon needs to put on some size. This kid showed a bit when played as an inside mid in the second half of the year with his left foot penetration and ability to win the footy. He just needs to develop a body that can compete at the next level.

25. T-Mac needs to find his elite running capabilities. I’m sure he played with something this year and it impacted his ability to blow his opponent up by running up and down the ground. I’d love to see him smashing marking contests again.

26. Weideman needs to work on his hands and mark those balls he gets his hands to. I also think he needs to impose himself on contests more by throwing his weight around and having a real belief that he can impact marking contests. These things come down to self-belief.

27. Nietschke needs to enjoy his pre-season. He is effectively starting his AFL career at base camp and can’t fall into the trap of trying to fast track things too quickly.

29. Hunt needs to work on his small forward craft. If he is not traded this period this is the only position I can see him playing long term in our team.

30. ANB needs to work towards becoming a one touch player. I know he is often fatigued when he approaches a footy due to his gut running but he just has to be cleaner.

31. Fritsch needs to work on doing the simple things well. This kid will make the AA Squad of 40 next year if he plays the whole year as a forward, but only if he kicks 45 - 20, and not 30 – 35.

32. Sparrow needs to work on his delivery by foot. He is tough, wins the footy, and has good breakaway speed. The thing that may hold him back is his kicking.

33. Oskar needs to work on his game craft. As a wingman, a position we sadly lack options in, he needs to work out how he can become involved in games for longer periods and not just drift in and out of matches. And he needs a tank. Burgess is going to be busy.

34. Hore needs to work on his decision making. Can he become a player we can rely on when he has the footy? As that third tall/intercept player, he needs to differentiate himself from Lever through his superior ball use. He is far from at that point yet.

More to follow.

Great analysis TK & appreciate your honest comments.....with a few of my own opinions if I may? Hope you don't mind....

Hunt, Brayshaw, Jones, Frosty Hibberd, Viney & Hore are all 'hack' kickers! Turn the ball over time & time again.......Kills us week in week out. Whats the point in having momentum, if you kick to the opposition?

I'd much rather have Salem & Stretch at 72% & 78% efficiency (season average) going to our boys than kicking to the opposition.

ANB is an on-baller & not a forward. Needs to play here as he's a natural ball-getter like Oliver.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Laughing Goat said:

Great analysis TK & appreciate your honest comments.....with a few of my own opinions if I may? Hope you don't mind....

Hunt, Brayshaw, Jones, Frosty Hibberd, Viney & Hore are all 'hack' kickers! Turn the ball over time & time again.......Kills us week in week out. Whats the point in having momentum, if you kick to the opposition?

I'd much rather have Salem & Stretch at 72% & 78% efficiency (season average) going to our boys than kicking to the opposition.

ANB is an on-baller & not a forward. Needs to play here as he's a natural ball-getter like Oliver.

 

 

Im sorry but ANB is not a natural at anything, and I am not really being mean, he is just ordinary at nearly every facet of the game except running and pressure. If he stays on the list he should be completely transformed into a run with player, a genuine tagger, that's his future, apart from that he offers absolutely nothing.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Demon3 said:

Im sorry but ANB is not a natural at anything, and I am not really being mean, he is just ordinary at nearly every facet of the game except running and pressure. If he stays on the list he should be completely transformed into a run with player, a genuine tagger, that's his future, apart from that he offers absolutely nothing.

I'm sorry too but just a very narrow minded comment & you obviously don't know your players very well. 

The problem with a lot of these players that are between numbers 15 & 25 on the list, is that when they go back to Casey & more often than not, they play key roles in the midfield & on the ball. Then when elevated into the seniors they play a completely different role & in ANB's case, small forward & are expected to perform immediately.

Also, my opinion & your opinion mean squat, because ANB played every game last year & has just signed a new 2 year deal, but hey, maybe your smarter than all the coaches, list managers, line coaches & the football department. II'm sure if you ask the playing group what they think of ANB & what he brings both on & off the field, it may actually surprise you.

That's one of the MFC's problems......they don't have the balls to play some durable players in different roles & want to persist with there golden haired favorites. Unfortunately Goodwin better bring a different plan next year or  we all know the outcome......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Laughing Goat said:

I'm sorry too but just a very narrow minded comment & you obviously don't know your players very well. 

The problem with a lot of these players that are between numbers 15 & 25 on the list, is that when they go back to Casey & more often than not, they play key roles in the midfield & on the ball. Then when elevated into the seniors they play a completely different role & in ANB's case, small forward & are expected to perform immediately.

Also, my opinion & your opinion mean squat, because ANB played every game last year & has just signed a new 2 year deal, but hey, maybe your smarter than all the coaches, list managers, line coaches & the football department. II'm sure if you ask the playing group what they think of ANB & what he brings both on & off the field, it may actually surprise you.

That's one of the MFC's problems......they don't have the balls to play some durable players in different roles & want to persist with there golden haired favorites. Unfortunately Goodwin better bring a different plan next year or  we all know the outcome......

I wasn't being insulting to you or ANB, i said it wasn't meant to be mean spirited but its my opinion. Dont question my knowledge of the game and the players just because i dared to have a different opinion to yours.. that's narrow minded right there.

He might be the worlds best clubman and worlds best bloke, i wasn't arguing that at all. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Demon3 said:

I wasn't being insulting to you or ANB, i said it wasn't meant to be mean spirited but its my opinion. Dont question my knowledge of the game and the players just because i dared to have a different opinion to yours.. that's narrow minded right there.

He might be the worlds best clubman and worlds best bloke, i wasn't arguing that at all. 

Well maybe check your dialogue in your first paragraph because I don't see it as anything but insulting to ANB.....''I'm sorry but ANB is not a natural at anything, and I am not really being mean, he is just ordinary at nearly every facet of the game except running and pressure.'

Say want you want to me as its all healthy discussion, but I do question your knowledge, especially on this player. I guess we all form opinions on players from the outside & again, that makes for healthy discussion & some disagreements...... but when you put your opinion out there you have to expect some readers questioning your thoughts.

I'm no different & don't expect people to agree with me either......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Laughing Goat said:

Well maybe check your dialogue in your first paragraph because I don't see it as anything but insulting to ANB.....''I'm sorry but ANB is not a natural at anything, and I am not really being mean, he is just ordinary at nearly every facet of the game except running and pressure.'

Say want you want to me as its all healthy discussion, but I do question your knowledge, especially on this player. I guess we all form opinions on players from the outside & again, that makes for healthy discussion & some disagreements...... but when you put your opinion out there you have to expect some readers questioning your thoughts.

I'm no different & don't expect people to agree with me either......

No worries  it really wasn't insulting, it was honest, and i could have been far more if i was that way inclined, but im just being honest that i dont see ANB has a lot of qualities that are above ordinary or average and rest assured i do know footy and know what ANB offers (or doesn't) and if you were to canvass MFC supporters i reckon there would be a common response re: ANB.

Honestly happy though for the discussion and the respect your right to disagree, as you say they are opinions and if i put them out there i have to expect counter views. All good. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Clarrie is very good, but not A grade. Doesn't hit the scoreboard near enough and this year very few of his possessions lead to a scoring chain (could be said of everyone I know). 

Not in the class of Martin, Sidebottom, Danger, Fyfe, Neale, Cripps, Bont, etc. They are genuine A graders.  Not yet at least.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Demon3 said:

No worries  it really wasn't insulting, it was honest, and i could have been far more if i was that way inclined, but im just being honest that i dont see ANB has a lot of qualities that are above ordinary or average and rest assured i do know footy and know what ANB offers (or doesn't) and if you were to canvass MFC supporters i reckon there would be a common response re: ANB.

Honestly happy though for the discussion and the respect your right to disagree, as you say they are opinions and if i put them out there i have to expect counter views. All good. 

yeah understand Demon 3......fingers crossed he has a good 2020 wherever he plays.

cheers

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

Rubbish. 

Unfortunately I don't get down to Melb much but I have been able to view the Casey games of the past & ANB, in my opinion, is one of the most natural on-ballers I've seen.  We assess him on his ability as a small forward & he will never get the opportunity to play on the ball whilst he's at Melb.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Laughing Goat said:

Unfortunately I don't get down to Melb much but I have been able to view the Casey games of the past & ANB, in my opinion, is one of the most natural on-ballers I've seen.  We assess him on his ability as a small forward & he will never get the opportunity to play on the ball whilst he's at Melb.

I actually don't assess him as a small forward, but rather as an AFL Player and to me he fumbles continually, drops marks, kicks and handballs poorly, as well as getting in the way of team mates . He is responsible for multiple turnovers and in modern football that is a no no. On the plus side, he as great endurance. Unfortunately,  his weaknesses far outweigh his asset of excellent fitness and I would be moving him on. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Laughing Goat said:

Unfortunately I don't get down to Melb much but I have been able to view the Casey games of the past & ANB, in my opinion, is one of the most natural on-ballers I've seen.  We assess him on his ability as a small forward & he will never get the opportunity to play on the ball whilst he's at Melb.

I didn’t mind ANB in 2018 and I still love his two way running. He fills holes where they need filling and helps with our structure. I have really gone off him this year just because his disposal and set shot kicking have been so bad. We had the opening game with Port won if he had kicked the 2 sitters he missed in the first quarter. That became a big part of his game this year, momentum killing misses. 

You may be right that his natural position is midfield but he would have to compete with Clarry, Brayshaw, Viney, Harmes and Trac to get that spot. I have never noticed him being a particularly great extractor at AFL level but perhaps that is because that is not the role he gets. I would like to see him make it but to do so would mean significantly cleaning up both his field kicking and his set shot kicking. Having him in the forward line, or anywhere near goal is just a disaster ATM. A kicking efficiency of 57.6% is just not good enough, lets not even talk about his goal kicking efficiency, arghh.

 

Edited by FlashInThePan
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2019 at 1:00 PM, Tough Kent said:

My thoughts on the list and what they need to achieve over the pre-season. 

1. May needs to get his body ready for the rigors of professional footy.

2. Jones needs to learn to hit targets going inside 50 and demonstrate some defensive intensity. Otherwise he won’t get anywhere near 300 games as he will be at Casey.

3. Salem needs to show more urgency in defense.

4. Harmes needs to continue working on his versatility. He’s our one mid who can play in other spots.

5. Petracca needs to work on his goal kicking. And his gut running if he’s going to play mid.

7. Viney needs a pre-season (sounds like a broken record) and a role in 2020. (Either run with player or defensive forward role)

8. Lever needs to work on his touch and tidy his kicking up.

9. Spargo needs to work on his physicality. If a defensive forward can’t stick a tackle he is useless to us. Speed and kicking penetration should also be areas of focus for Charlie.

10. Brayshaw needs to continue working on his two way running. If he wants to take his game to the next level he needs to work on his ability to hit targets by foot.

11. Gawn needs to work on his goal kicking. I’m a believer that the Gawn/Preuss experiment can work with a fitter Preuss. I’d love to see Max play more forward.

12. Bedford needs to insert himself into games more. He needs to find a way to get involved more, either through his tackling or by playing higher up the ground.

13. Oliver needs to learn to put the ball under his arm and break the lines. You be responsible for ball movement. Be the man instead of giving off the dinky 2 meter handball to a teammate in trouble. Only then will he take his game to a Cripps/Bont level.

14. Hibberd needs to be better defensively, and find that yard of pace he had in 2017. This game passes you by very quickly.

15. Stretch needs to learn to be a momentum driver, not a momentum killer. When Billy gets it, he stops, he props, he moves sidewards, he looks behind him. He needs to get it, use his speed and take more risks.

16. KK needs to play. We can’t afford to carry 3-4 blokes who play 2 games between them in 2020. Our depth isn’t good enough to cover it.

17. Frosty needs to do some meditation. If he can show some calmness and composure when he has the footy in hand he can become a top notch defender.

18. Melksham needs to work on his tank so that he can spend more time going through the middle. He was a real impact player in there in a couple of games mid-year.

19. Hannan needs to re-gain confidence and start jumping at his marks again. He can be a rare commodity in our team in that he is a threat in the air, on the ground and he can apply defensive pressure inside 50.

21. Preuss needs to get super fit and work on his hands. Stop dropping marks you get your hands to, you big lug!

22. vandenBerg needs to get on the park. As I mentioned in another thread, avB was a barometer for us late last year in that his aggression set the tone for the rest of the boys. He’s not the classiest but he was sadly missed in 2019.

23. Jordon needs to put on some size. This kid showed a bit when played as an inside mid in the second half of the year with his left foot penetration and ability to win the footy. He just needs to develop a body that can compete at the next level.

25. T-Mac needs to find his elite running capabilities. I’m sure he played with something this year and it impacted his ability to blow his opponent up by running up and down the ground. I’d love to see him smashing marking contests again.

26. Weideman needs to work on his hands and mark those balls he gets his hands to. I also think he needs to impose himself on contests more by throwing his weight around and having a real belief that he can impact marking contests. These things come down to self-belief.

27. Nietschke needs to enjoy his pre-season. He is effectively starting his AFL career at base camp and can’t fall into the trap of trying to fast track things too quickly.

29. Hunt needs to work on his small forward craft. If he is not traded this period this is the only position I can see him playing long term in our team.

30. ANB needs to work towards becoming a one touch player. I know he is often fatigued when he approaches a footy due to his gut running but he just has to be cleaner.

31. Fritsch needs to work on doing the simple things well. This kid will make the AA Squad of 40 next year if he plays the whole year as a forward, but only if he kicks 45 - 20, and not 30 – 35.

32. Sparrow needs to work on his delivery by foot. He is tough, wins the footy, and has good breakaway speed. The thing that may hold him back is his kicking.

33. Oskar needs to work on his game craft. As a wingman, a position we sadly lack options in, he needs to work out how he can become involved in games for longer periods and not just drift in and out of matches. And he needs a tank. Burgess is going to be busy.

34. Hore needs to work on his decision making. Can he become a player we can rely on when he has the footy? As that third tall/intercept player, he needs to differentiate himself from Lever through his superior ball use. He is far from at that point yet.

More to follow.

That's enough to fill the Titanic on it's maiden voyage TK...no more please!

joseph c phillips earth GIF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    ON THE FLY by George On The Outer

    After spending most of the previous day in the air, flying between Queensland and Victoria, it was hard to imagine the Demons would be at their best.   But this team was on the fly on the field as well and produced a clinical display which saw them record a 98 point win to put aside any questions about the side being out of form.   Certainly, the Suns who have fallen away badly in the second half of the season were their opponents, but with the Demons looking for a confidence boo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CITIUS, ALTIUS, FORTIUS by The Oracle

    This weekend, the Melbourne Football Club was supposed to embark on a tour that started with what looked like an innocent trip to the country’s sunny Gold Coast. However, the Covid19 pandemic intervened to bring them back home for this week at least. Next week, it’s off to the West Coast but conspiracy theorists are already suggesting that this interstate sojourn could take the team all the way across the country over the next month and indeed, there are cynics who even believe that it could bec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE YEAR THE SNOWFLAKES FELL by Whispering Jack

    The snow that fell on the slopes of Victoria’s mountain districts in the winter of 1965 was not considered good enough to satisfy the enthusiasts. The really heavy snow that season came in two waves further north in July and August. The first descended on the national capital where “Pig Iron Bob” still held sway. Snow flurries touched the landscape all the way across the Blue Mountains. The next big snow extended further north up to the hills around Mackay in Queensland. Snowflakes fell inside t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 10

    DEES GIVE DOGS A BONE by George On The Outer

    First place versus second on the ladder promised to be a precursor to what can be expected in the coming finals race.  However, it was the Demons who faltered and gave the Bulldogs a bone to feed their hunger just weeks out from the end of the season. The win also sent the Dogs to the top of the ladder, a position they are unlikely to cede in the coming weeks, given their fixture. While Melbourne may now struggle to keep a spot in the top four with its draw and will likely depend on the res

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE WORM WILL TURN by The Oracle

    When I was asked to preview this game, I wasn’t sure whether it was going to be played in Darwin, on the Gold Coast or the MCG. I had no idea as to the identity of Melbourne’s opponent. This would have made for one hell of an interesting match preview so I’m glad that the AFL managed to reorganize its fixture to enable a game … any game at all … to proceed in Round 19. We’ll worry about the Gold Coast Suns or whoever they put us up against when the weekend’s done and dusted and if and when

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DRAWN AND DEEFLATED by George on the Outer

    1st v 17th ... it would seem a sure one way contest between the Hawks and the Demons but it was not to be with the game finishing in a draw, the only positive being the Demons still retain their top spot on the ladder. Melbourne was taught a football lesson by Al Clarkson, who with limited resources, just instructed his players to scrap, fight and surge the ball forward.  It stifled the Melbourne free flowing style of play and denied them the opportunities they could normally expect. I

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PINK RAIN by Whispering Jack

    There is no certainty about life under a pandemic. You wake up one morning without a care in the world; the sun’s shining and it’s a beautiful day. An hour later, everything’s up in the air, the entire state is on high alert and the apartment complex next door’s in lockdown. The simple decision you had to make about buying a ticket to the footy at the weekend suddenly might get put on the back burner. There are other things in life to prioritise and on top of that, they’re predicting rain for th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    COR BLIMEY by KC from Casey

    In years to come, the old timers will talk in wonderment about the “Avalon Avalanche” that hit Werribee’s Avalon Airport Oval on a mild winter’s afternoon at about ten minutes after the halfway mark of the game between the local Tigers and their cross town rivals, the Demons from Casey. At that moment in time, the game was poised as if on a knifepoint. Up until the main interval, it had been the visiting team which had maintained the lead from the start but it had struggled to entirely asse

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    POWER FAILURE by George on the Outer

    South Australians should be well familiar with the damage that storms can do to the power supply.  But Port Power forgot those lessons on Thursday night football as they watched the Melbourne storm descend upon them from across the border and ruin their hopes of a top four placing. Just as equally, the win to the Demons cemented their spot in the top two and sent out the message that a team who had been going around in circles for the past couple of weeks, has in fact, turned into a cyclone

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CASEY SUFFER FIRST DEFEAT IN TWO YEARS

    The circumstances were a little unusual last Saturday night as KC from Casey was unavailable to report on the Casey Dees due to work commitments. On the ground things were somewhat unusual as well given that, although there was a game to be won on the night, preparations were also being made for the forthcoming Thursday night clash against Port Adelaide with Ben Brown rested for large slabs of the evening. It turned out perhaps, to be a stroke of genius for Melbourne with Brown making a strong c

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    WEATHERING THE STORM by Mel Rundle

    The magic of Melbourne’s magnificent start to 2021 is beginning to wear off. In its past six matches it lost to three teams that were outside the eight, out of form —  teams which it had very little trouble bearing last year. This week, the temperature is turned up even higher with the hard fought spot in the top four at risk. The really ominous factor about the Demons’ upcoming Thursday night meeting with Port Adelaide this week is that it is due to take place at the very place where its dec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    FEE-FI-FO-FUM by George on the Outer

    “Fee-fi-fo-fum, without a Full Forward the Premiership can’t be won!” So said the GWS Giants, as they exposed Melbourne’s fatal deficiency with a nine point win at the MCG.  In past weeks Melbourne has been barely able to gloss over the lack of a serious target in front of goal, while others were able to contribute.  But in a near repeat of the game from the previous week, players running up the ground simply had no-one to kick the ball to, when all that was needed was that one tall target.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports


×
×
  • Create New...