Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

List changes who do we cut, trade or go after.

samcantstandya

Any info on Charlie Constable from Geelong? Has been injured and not give much of a chance. I loved the look of him in his draft year. 20 yo tall midfielder, can float back or forward. 1st game got 21 disp, second game against us got 31 disp

24 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Any info on Charlie Constable from Geelong? Has been injured and not give much of a chance. I loved the look of him in his draft year. 20 yo tall midfielder, can float back or forward. 1st game got 21 disp, second game against us got 31 disp

Stephen Wells came out yesterday and categorically said that he'd be staying at Geelong. Would likely find more opportunities with Tim Kelly leaving

If Frost is on the way out, I'd love us to look at Dougal Howard from Port as a potential replacement.

199cm backman who could become our Astubry style fullback. We can then have May as the 2nd tall and Lever as 3rd tall/intercept marker.

This will allow Petty to remain up forward where I think he showed a bit and also give us flexibility, as both can play as a back up ruckman at times.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Collar-Jazz-Knee said:

If Frost is on the way out, I'd love us to look at Dougal Howard from Port as a potential replacement.

199cm backman who could become our Astubry style fullback. We can then have May as the 2nd tall and Lever as 3rd tall/intercept marker.

This will allow Petty to remain up forward where I think he showed a bit and also give us flexibility, as both can play as a back up ruckman at times.

Will we get him for pick 47? Petty is in need of development. We need a forward not a another backman in my opinion

• Like 1

Presumably now it’s 8 spots available on the list 

Lewis TSmith Maynard (Ret) Garlett Keilty (delist) Frost Stretch likely trade. Jkh likely delist or steak knives.  <Walker cat b retired>.

Add 3 or 4 through trade and free agency  

Add 4 or 5 through the draft.  

Pace into midfield runners. Another key forward   A small forward. Some young stars. Presumably all who can hit a target by foot with a 25 metre pass !!   

This is what I'd do. Some of it absolute fantasy and other bits... no, most of it is fantasy, but let's see how we go.

FANTASY LIST CHANGES

I’d trade Gus to Fremantle for Cerra.

I’d trade Viney to Carlton for Weitering.

I’d trade pick 3 ideally for Ben King, but that’s too fantastical it seems, so take it to the draft if we can’t trade it for a 19-23 year old like Taranto. 

Add Langdon and Tomlinson’s run to our midfield and the likes of Elliott to our forward line.

The bolded players below would be my 22 for Round 1.

KEY BACKS

May (full back), Lever (third tall/interceptor), Weitering (second tall), Oscar McDonald

MEDIUM/SMALL BACKS

Hibberd, Hore, Jetta, Jones, Sparrow, Josh Wagner, Jordon

MIDS

Gawn, Oliver, Harmes, Petracca, Salem, Cerra, PICK #3, Langdon (wing), Tomlinson (wing), Neal-Bullen (wing/half forward), Kolodjashnij (wing)

SMALL/MID FORWARDS

Melksham, Fritsch, Hannan, Elliott, Vandenberg, Lockhart, Hunt, Spargo, Smith (defensive forward), Corey Wagner, Oskar Baker (defensive forward), Nietschke (half forward/half back), Bedford

KEY FORWARDS

Tom McDonald, Petty (swing forward or back), Weideman, Preuss

THE THINKING

THE BACKS

The idea here with these changes would be to have composure and good kickers on the last line of defence (May, Lever and Weitering are all good kicks with composure). I think a player like Weitering would flourish in the system that I think we're going to try and play.

I think it was @rjay who suggested today trying Sparrow in the back half. I like that idea. I'd use Jones as our kicker from half back (see early 2017 for this - it worked well on grounds like Marvel), Jetta as the lock down small, while Hibberd and Sparrow are the run-and-guns off half back. Cover provided behind them by our zone defence lead by May and Lever.

THE MIDS

There's more balance to this midfield with dynamism (Oliver), toughness and accountability (Harmes), x factor (Petracca), good ball use (Salem and Cerra) and gut running (Langdon and Tomlinson). Pick #3 should add speed to this mix and hopefully ball use. A far less predictable mix this and with a strong pre season, we can really build our game around this group.

THE FORWARDS

I'd be going quite a bit smaller next year. Buck the trend of Richmond this year, we use what they used against the rest of the competition in 2017 and what Collingwood used in 2018, and to a lesser extent Geelong used in early 2019 . Out of necessity, I think we mostly play a brigade of mid-sized players across the arc and rotating deep forward (Melksham, Fritsch and Hannan). All of whom play taller. McDonald plays as the self-less tall (Riewoldt of 2017 role), he runs hard to create space and ensures the forwardline is open, but he presents an option when necessary and he will kick goals. Elliott provides a bit of unpredictable x-factor to compliment Hannan and Fritsch, as well as the likely resting Petracca. Vandenberg is the defensive forward that creates havoc between 35 metres and the arcs with his tackling and pressure game. Petty is the swing man between forward and back, where necessary, depending on the opposition's talls.

Make some bold moves like the above, demand hard work right across the field (the forward pressure game & the gut running defensive game) and get our defensive zonal structures right, as well as our stoppage structures, and this side (with a good run with injuries - like Richmond in 2017) can go deep in 2020.

Edited by A F
  • Like 2

If we don't split the pick with gws could we trade a future first and our second rounder for pick 9 (gws has Essendon pick). Gws Do it so they don't have to use a high pick on matching a green bid and we do it to get 2 quality young guns on the list this year. We are gambling on our self to finish higher next year. Just thinking outside the box. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

I'm being tongue in cheek a bit - can you guess which Melbourne player in 2010 did this in his first two matches?

769325526_ScreenShot2019-10-03at8_16_42am.png.237704dafd4c52c706f5d7c68863e871.png

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

So did I, poor develoment back then though stuffed him and others

He also needed a slap across the face on numerous occasions. Remember when he was one of the instigators of telling Bailey that the players weren't going to do the 3 km time trial (or it might've been the Tan??)

Gysberts was taken earlier than expected and whilst poor development and environment didn't help his cause, I never rated him. Even after those first two games. 

Posters that go on about disposal numbers are in the same category as those who say "we need to keep Sam Frost because of his speed". 

Constable is in a similar boat to Gysberts in that he has very little hurt factor to his possessions. He is the last kind of player we need on our list. Brayshaw was a number 3 pick and finds it hard to hit targets at the best of times. Charlie is a poor man's Brayshaw. 

We need dynamic, ballistic and smart players who use every who treat every possession they get as though it's worth gold. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

He also needed a slap across the face on numerous occasions. Remember when he was one of the instigators of telling Bailey that the players weren't going to do the 3 km time trial (or it might've been the Tan??)

Yeah, there were a lot of problems back then, players not listening to coaches, poor development, crap admin and board.

1 hour ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Posters that go on about disposal numbers are in the same category as those who say "we need to keep Sam Frost because of his speed". 

I couldn't care less if a player has 5 possessions or 35 as long as they are playing their role and with Frost if anyone thinks that the team needs to have him in the side next year to win games they are hallucinating.

• Like 3

Gysberts' biggest problem was that he was lazy and unmotivated and not prepared to do the hard work. 

Don't forget that North cut him after only one year on their list where he again showed his lack of desire.

Edit:  We swapped him for Pedo which was a big win for us.

Edited by demonstone
more info

On 10/1/2019 at 7:11 PM, Barney Rubble said:

ED Langdon is a must, he has pace and muscle to hit and tackle.

Tomlinson we have been sort of after for many years. This is the ideal time.

Jamie Elliot for Weideman.  ( to replace garlett)      Tom McDonald at CHF replacing Weideman

Joel Smith FF if he is fit

We need a driving kick half back flanker. We tried hunt but he kicked it up in the air.

There is no certainty Viney will get games. He cant kick or mark. His few shots at goal drop short or go wide.

Anderson would have been my No.3 pick, but may get picked up by GC No. 2.    Serong I don't know too much about, is he the Collingwood legends Grandson?

Billy stretch must go. Too afraid to kick. Garlett gone. Keilty, Tim Smith and Lewis gone Walker gone.

Gawn to Captain.  Harmes to V.C his improvement in the past 2 years has been rapid.

Langdon will fit in beautifully BR.....has a higher turnover average than Jones, Viney & Brayshaw

Tomlinson not the answer IMO & not an impact player....slow, very slow. he wont play wing so where does he play?

Elliott? I am wondering why he would come to the Dees? Can only be money & security. Hope he does!

Joel Smith....agree he is what we need & has X factor & can play forward & back

Viney agree BR.....forgetable year unless you rate the MFC B & F

Anderson we wont get but Serong a possiblity & can play......good call!

Stretch  last 2 games 18 kicks 19 h/balls at 88% & 100% efficiency.....Garlett has a little value but not at Melb,. I like Keilty but maybe at another club....great hands

Yes Gawn to captain.....on his own & maybe Harmes in a year or 2.

15 hours ago, Laughing Goat said:

Langdon will fit in beautifully BR.....has a higher turnover average than Jones, Viney & Brayshaw

Tomlinson not the answer IMO & not an impact player....slow, very slow. he wont play wing so where does he play?

Elliott? I am wondering why he would come to the Dees? Can only be money & security. Hope he does!

Joel Smith....agree he is what we need & has X factor & can play forward & back

Viney agree BR.....forgetable year unless you rate the MFC B & F

Anderson we wont get but Serong a possiblity & can play......good call!

Stretch  last 2 games 18 kicks 19 h/balls at 88% & 100% efficiency.....Garlett has a little value but not at Melb,. I like Keilty but maybe at another club....great hands

Yes Gawn to captain.....on his own & maybe Harmes in a year or 2.

Close to the mark.  Stretch will get trade currency as others will see blue sky for him.  

On 10/2/2019 at 10:46 PM, spirit of norm smith said:

Presumably now it’s 8 spots available on the list 

Lewis TSmith Maynard (Ret) Garlett Keilty (delist) Frost Stretch likely trade. Jkh likely delist or steak knives.  <Walker cat b retired>.

Add 3 or 4 through trade and free agency  

Add 4 or 5 through the draft.  

Pace into midfield runners. Another key forward   A small forward. Some young stars. Presumably all who can hit a target by foot with a 25 metre pass !!   

Are we in the hunt for Papley?

2 hours ago, Dee*ceiving said:

Does anyone else think it's odd that we've not been linked to / visibly shown interest in Zak Jones? 

Firstly for obvious reasons, secondly because he has genuine pace (unlike big bro) and plays somewhat unsociably... 

He's not a genuine winger, an average defender and a worse kick.

I'm glad list strategy hasn't been based on sentimentality in this instance. It rarely gets us into a good place.

• Like 2