Jump to content

P-man

What gives you hope for next season?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

We will know by about Rnd 8 or so in 2020 BBP.  8 months is quite a wait!

I reckon we will know by the pre season games.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, CYB said:

I reckon we will know by the pre season games.

 

Very sketchy CYB.  Depends on who's in the team, who isn't and what stages they're at in their individual programs.

Rnd 6 is usually a reasonable block of games and should tell the story.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, CYB said:

I reckon we will know by the pre season games.

In the past I would have disagreed but the last two seasons the pre-season games have reflected our form in the season proper. 

In 2018 we were AFLX champions of the world and had a good win over Norf (I believe it was) and the boys looked excited and full of energy. 

This year we were flat and disinterested during our pre-season games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Aside from the cluster F that was the Sydney game, we haven't been too far off the mark since the bye round:

Fremantle - good win against a side on a 4 game winning streak (although they were down to 2 men)

Brisbane - good first half. Lost our way in the second half. Who knows what would've happened if Hipwood didn't kick 5 goals in 5 minutes.

Carlton - That win stacks up now, as underwhelming as it was at the time, 40 odd points up at one stage with T Mac kicking 6 goals in 3 qtrs. 

W Bulldogs - An 8 point loss against a team that has caught fire since the break is a decent effort. One of the rare games Lever and May played together.

West Coast - Another more than competitive effort against the reigning premiers, as we were in front at 3 qtr time. This performance was better than some of our (rare) wins. Again, Lever and May played together.

St Kilda - Bitterly disappointing performance to lose against what I consider a poor side but we lead with 10 minutes left, before our skills and fitness fell off the cliff. May didn't play.

Richmond - A meritorious first half going into the sheds on even terms. Kept the margin somewhat respectable.

Collingwood - Bitterly disappointing middle 2 quarters however had a rare good last quarter. Inaccuracy cost us dearly in this one as we lost by only 17 points.

Sydney - A disgrace.

Hopefully next year, the Dogs, WC, St Kilda and Collingwood losses are turned into wins.

And of course two weeks prior to that Weid misses a kick after the siren to win against Adelaide.

The reason we haven’t copped the media heat and scrutiny this season is because, as bad as we’ve played, we haven’t been annihilated week after week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, praha said:

You know it's been a [censored] season when people put a positive spin on a 6 game losing streak. Fmd. We never looked like winning in any of those aside from the Carlton and Freo games, which were awful anyway. We were always going to lose the other matches. Open your eyes.

You really need to stop taking your anger and sadness out on people who see things differently to you. 

Whether you like it or not, nothing BBP said was wrong. 

We absolutely “looked like winning” the Brisbane and WC matches, and neither the Fremantle nor Carlton games looked as bad as you are suggesting (if we hadn’t had three injuries including TMac vs Carlton it’s completely reasonable to suggest we’d have won by 7+ goals).

2 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Sad isn’t it...

I would suggest the “sad” one is you, and anyone else like you who isn’t capable of seeing anything positive. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I just reckon we’ll turn it around, and quite quickly. I’m hoping we will have learnt a lot from this year.

It may have been the recession we had to have.

We’ll get a good first rounder and should get a good draw. Hopefully we’ll not have 75% of the list either out injured or out of form.

A significant refresh in the coaching department, some minor tweaking with the list, and the end to complacency should produce good pre-season and a much more determined, hard-nosed approach next year.

The playing list lost its innocence this year. Next year, I’m hoping we’ll play with a ruthlessness that comes through having been knocked around a bit and having endured a few bruises in life.

This year could very well be the making of us.

 

Edited by Ron Burgundy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of our problems are easy to see. Opposition scoring from turnovers, missing for certain times in games and conversion from the entries into the 50. If we have a good pre-season we should be able to improve in these areas.

We were close in a lot of our games making us more than a competitive team.

Next season opposition teams won't be setting themselves to beat us as we arn't a big scalp.

Our midfield is still strong.

Plenty of players with something to prove. 

Players shouldn't have such an interrupted season again.

Younger group got plenty of games at the highest level into them.

Easier draw next year.

More determined because of this years pain. 

Hopefully we will have many alternative game plans and are able implement them when required. This year we were too one dimensional as we were trying to just get the basics right.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Some of our problems are easy to see. Opposition scoring from turnovers, missing for certain times in games and conversion from the entries into the 50. If we have a good pre-season we should be able to improve in these areas.

We were close in a lot of our games making us more than a competitive team.

Next season opposition teams won't be setting themselves to beat us as we arn't a big scalp.

Our midfield is still strong.

Plenty of players with something to prove. 

Players shouldn't have such an interrupted season again.

Younger group got plenty of games at the highest level into them.

Easier draw next year.

More determined because of this years pain. 

Hopefully we will have many alternative game plans and are able implement them when required. This year we were too one dimensional as we were trying to just get the basics right.

Back end of the year we had clearly adjusted our style of play to try and hold possession and slow it down. You could tell the players just weren't comfortable with it and it looked slow and cumbersome. Overhauling a game plan mid year when you've already had the confidence sucked out of you from losing is basically like pissing in the wind. In some ways I guess it's better than experimenting on each other for the first time next pre season, so maybe that's a silver lining. 

I'm of the belief that with a few decent pick ups and hopefully a full pre season we will turn it around. I just worry we don't have the cattle to run this game style. If we find a balance between crash & bash and possession footy maybe we can bounce back strong, because I don't think we can overly favour one style over the other. 

I'm optimistic every year despite the torture. 

Edited by AllMyTeamsAreWank
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What gives me hope is that Goody finally admitted we got it wrong this year.

That recognition is crucial and how we go about fixing it will see us bounce back in 2020.

...but the first step is always admitting you got it wrong.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, praha said:

You know it's been a [censored] season when people put a positive spin on a 6 game losing streak. Fmd. We never looked like winning in any of those aside from the Carlton and Freo games, which were awful anyway. We were always going to lose the other matches. Open your eyes.

What part of:

1) being 6 points up against West Coast at 3 qtr time 

2) being 8 points down with a couple of minutes left against an unconvincing  Dogs who couldn’t put us away 

3) being 3 points up against St Kilda with 10 minutes left...

meant we were always going to lose those games??? 

We were every bloody chance of winning those games.

Next year, our hopeful and anticipated improved fitness and accuracy will hopefully see us win those games.

Not to mention we kicked ourselves out of the WC (rd 9) and Adelaide games.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The loss of T Mac was absolutely shattering in a season that was bent but not yet broken.

We were showing genuine improvement when T Mac finally hit form against Freo and he was a genuine match winner vs Carlton. How many players can kick 6 goals in 3 qtrs of footy these days?

We could’ve won some of those close losses between rounds 17-19.

That’s why T Mac’s return to the side gives me hope.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m getting married two weeks before the 2020 season starts. At least something good is going to happen next year for me. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, AllMyTeamsAreWank said:

Back end of the year we had clearly adjusted our style of play to try and hold possession and slow it down. You could tell the players just weren't comfortable with it and it looked slow and cumbersome. Overhauling a game plan mid year when you've already had the confidence sucked out of you from losing is basically like pissing in the wind. In some ways I guess it's better than experimenting on each other for the first time next pre season, so maybe that's a silver lining. 

I'm of the belief that with a few decent pick ups and hopefully a full pre season we will turn it around. I just worry we don't have the cattle to run this game style. If we find a balance between crash & bash and possession footy maybe we can bounce back strong, because I don't think we can overly favour one style over the other. 

I'm optimistic every year despite the torture. 

Agree. 

This pre-season I hope/pray that players train in their best positions and that is where we see them in 2020 - so Fritsch spends the summer in the forward line next to TMac and Weideman, Hunt forward, Petracca more in the middle, etc. I wonder how much of the 18/19 pre-season Fritsch spent in the backline/midfield or Hunt spent in the backline?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing yet. The same fools in charge

Ill wait and see what the makeup of the FD looks like.

If one bozo from the box comes out with idiotic idioms professing hard tough footy..or mentions "our brand" fair dinkum id be tempted to hit someone. 

Hardness, toughness are givens ffs. Its not a weekend  dance club out there. Brand..wtf..what is Brand. We've  been shown we play footy with all the verve and style of a Cornflake packet.We play like Fruitloops meets CocoPops and run out of NutriGrain by 3/4 time.

I actually  want to hear NOTHING from us. I want to see some intelligent  craft creeping into our game. I want to see the intuition  and inherent  skill of players exploited not snuffed out.

I want all the nqrs on a bus to anywhere. I want ONE captain. I want NO ONE coming back til theyvare fully fit and match ready. 

Sounds like a heady list. It isn't. .Its basic. Its how a proper club runs a team in the comp. Its something  we should try.

If not...refer...no hope.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going into 2019 season I actually felt optimistic and hopeful for the first time since Daniher left, only to have it violently deflated. Even by round 6 I was thinking "it will turn soon, it will turn soon", like some wearied battle cry from some arrogant military leader refusing to admit the truth.

So I refuse to engage in hope across the summer break. Apart from hope, my thinking about 2020 is as follows:

  • I will renew my membership as usual because that is not dependent on performance. The club is its people and I am one of these. I am red and blue for life.
  • The Club is in very good shape. Members, finances, personnel, vision, sponsors etc...
  • Our list is strong, but we need some outside pace, and some elite kicking skills.
  • Leadership needs a slap across the face and a boot up the a**e, but I believe Viney should retain the sole captaincy. He does need media training
  • I remain a fan of Goodwin. Apart from easy goals against us on turnovers, his gameplan works. Our skills inefficiency is what kills it and makes it look as though it is not working.
  • Skills training and 4-quarter fitness have to be the empahses on the preseason. Really. really disappointing how atrocious these 2 things have been this year.
  • Most importantly, the HEART of the playing group has to alter. A hunger, a fierceness, a drive of some other kind has to emerge. Think of Hodge, Selwood, Barassi, Whitten, Voss - the heart of a lion. Not sure where this comes from for the Dees but we will be Preliminary finalists at our best unless this quality overtakes all else in the playing list.

So now I am saving for a nice bottle of 15yo The Dalmore Scotch, to watch some cricket sipping a wee dram or two, and watch another team (not and never mine!) win the AFL premiership. 

2019 - you can bugger off.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

You really need to stop taking your anger and sadness out on people who see things differently to you. 

Whether you like it or not, nothing BBP said was wrong. 

We absolutely “looked like winning” the Brisbane and WC matches, and neither the Fremantle nor Carlton games looked as bad as you are suggesting (if we hadn’t had three injuries including TMac vs Carlton it’s completely reasonable to suggest we’d have won by 7+ goals).

I would suggest the “sad” one is you, and anyone else like you who isn’t capable of seeing anything positive. 

Sorry. I don’t see anything positive in this lousy stinking 2019 season

My standards go a lot higher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A better preseason with fewer surgeries.

Better assistant coaches. Alan Richardson is a brilliant signing. More  like that please.

Fritsch playing forward all season, along with a fresh and firing Tom McDonald.

Nathan Jones playing for Casey. Or better yet, not on the list at all. If we must play him, it needs to be deep forward pocket and nowhere else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Maldonboy38 said:

Going into 2019 season I actually felt optimistic and hopeful for the first time since Daniher left, only to have it violently deflated. Even by round 6 I was thinking "it will turn soon, it will turn soon", like some wearied battle cry from some arrogant military leader refusing to admit the truth.

So I refuse to engage in hope across the summer break. Apart from hope, my thinking about 2020 is as follows:

  • I will renew my membership as usual because that is not dependent on performance. The club is its people and I am one of these. I am red and blue for life.
  • The Club is in very good shape. Members, finances, personnel, vision, sponsors etc...
  • Our list is strong, but we need some outside pace, and some elite kicking skills.
  • Leadership needs a slap across the face and a boot up the a**e, but I believe Viney should retain the sole captaincy. He does need media training
  • I remain a fan of Goodwin. Apart from easy goals against us on turnovers, his gameplan works. Our skills inefficiency is what kills it and makes it look as though it is not working.
  • Skills training and 4-quarter fitness have to be the empahses on the preseason. Really. really disappointing how atrocious these 2 things have been this year.
  • Most importantly, the HEART of the playing group has to alter. A hunger, a fierceness, a drive of some other kind has to emerge. Think of Hodge, Selwood, Barassi, Whitten, Voss - the heart of a lion. Not sure where this comes from for the Dees but we will be Preliminary finalists at our best unless this quality overtakes all else in the playing list.

So now I am saving for a nice bottle of 15yo The Dalmore Scotch, to watch some cricket sipping a wee dram or two, and watch another team (not and never mine!) win the AFL premiership. 

2019 - you can bugger off.

Really well articulated and pretty much sums up a lot of my thoughts.

Some will accuse us of having low standards, but each to their own 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) Misson not being around to mismanage our players.

2) Goody hopefully gets a kick right up the [censored] and realises if we start next year the way we started this year he is jobless. This could lead to him being less stubborn in the box.

3) We have higher than expected trade currency for this year. 

4) Fritta being played as a permanent forward and kicking 50 goals for the year. 

5) Refer to point one.... Getting our players back on the track and some continuity at team selection

6) Maxy becoming sole captain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, P-man said:

+ Ed Langdon 👍

Is it a done deal though P-man?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...