Jump to content

  • Podcast: Draft Wrap Up w/Jason Taylor  

Sign in to follow this  
Queanbeyan Demon

The Business Case

Recommended Posts

The business case explained

There’s been a lot written here and elsewhere about Goodwin’s contract length and immediate short-term tenure. Here are four facts, and two estimates, that I would suggest will drive the thinking of the Club’s board over the next 12 months. The figures quoted are in the Club’s 2018 Annual Report and are the most recent publicly available.

Fact 1
Melbourne’s revenue in 2018 from football related actives was $44.8M. 

Fact 2
The AFL guarantees to cover player costs and other related expenses regardless of on-field performance. In 2018 this figure was $16.3M

Fact 3
Revenue in 2018 from Football related activities that the club has influence over, by dint of its on-field performances, was $27.5M. Here’s the breakdown.

  • Gate receipts $6,180,742
  • Merchandise $1,081,232
  • Membership, annual reserved seating and general fundraising $9,009,525
  • Sponsorship & corporate hospitality $11,287,779
  • Other revenue $922,363

The financial impact of 2019’s poor on-field performance could well be felt by drops in revenue across four of the line items above (i.e. gate receipts, merchandise, membership/reversed seating/gen fundraising and sponsorship/corporate).

Estimate 1
According to reports today, Ross Lyon’s contract in 2019, based on Freemantle’s on-field performance, is worth 600K. It wouldn’t be unreasonable to assume Goodwin is receiving something similar.  

Estimate 2
The cost of paying Goodwin out, should the Club move on him in the next 12 moths, would be somewhere between $1.2 and $1.8 million. This estimate assumes that the pay-out would be the equivalent of the contact's balance (assuming base payment).

Discussion
The Club’s on-field performance directly effects, or puts at risk, part of the $27.5M in revenue (based on 2018 figures). We can assume that a good year may well increase this revenue while a poor year will almost definitely have a negative consequence. By any measure 2019 has been a poor year and it would be reasonable to anticipate that revenue from club related activities will fall. The question is, by what amount? A five per cent fall in 2019 will mean a loss of $1.377M against the 2018 figure, while a 10 per cent fall will mean $2.755M. And this doesn't factor in opportunity costs . . . that is, revenue anticipated over and above the 2018 result that will also be foregone.

The problem the Club has is that this is now a ‘sunk-cost’. That is, the money is already gone and removing Goodwin now will not recover the 2019 financial situation. 

However . . . and presumably this is the Board’s current focus . . . 

If the Club doesn’t improve its on-field performance in 2020 by a substantial amount, the financial losses seriously mount. Another year where revenue is likely to be seriously down on 2018 levels makes the financial case for removing the coach pretty strong. It simply becomes a business decision. That is, the cost of keeping the coach versus removing him in order to stem the bleeding. For example, if the club has a poor year again in 2020, the potential losses over 2019/20 seasons compared to the 2018 season could well be in excess of $2.7M. It makes the case for removing the coach at a cost of $1.5M (assuming he goes during the bye in 2020) a no-brainer. 

Conclusion
Few people want harm to come to the Club or Goodwin. However, a year like this one in 2020 is going to be traumatic for one party or the other. 

And that’s fact number four.

 

Edited by Queanbeyan Demon
Typos and clarity
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great post. Of course, there are many other variables and impacts, and I would suspect the revenue impact would be a better reflection next to projections as well as comparatively vs 2018. I suspect the club expected a 25%-40% increase in revenue given favourable draw, reach, marketing, interest, exposure, and attendance. Instead we are looking at probably something closer to a 3%-5% increase (I think we'll still see an increase overall). So growth has hit a major speed bump and stands to move into the negative over the summer and into 2020. The old "doom loop".

Goodwin and co. have a lot banking on them turning this around.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Estimate 2 bit hard to estimate as we aren't privy to the contract and all its clauses. 

 

2019 financials will be interesting, gates should be down a bit given our form and also we didn't host Anzac Day Eve or Queens Birthday

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the thread should be titled "the business case for sacking Goodwin". That's what it's about.

  • Like 2
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

I think the thread should be titled "the business case for sacking Goodwin". That's what it's about.

As it should be!

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, roy11 said:

Estimate 2 bit hard to estimate as we aren't privy to the contract and all its clauses. 

 

2019 financials will be interesting, gates should be down a bit given our form and also we didn't host Anzac Day Eve or Queens Birthday

its very poor by the ALF  re Anzac and Queens BD , we should host one each year , or are we planning on have a good year the crap year again .....  like the 90's one up one down ! 

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

top analysis QB - pity more have not read this.

I think all our games at MCG should be home games as: we invented the game and the MCG - No Dees = No AFL.

thanks

PS I can't stand Collingwood

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Anti-Saint said:

top analysis QB - pity more have not read this.

I think all our games at MCG should be home games as: we invented the game and the MCG - No Dees = No AFL.

thanks

PS I can't stand Collingwood

Or, I assume, St Kilda, based on your name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have to have a good year in 2020.
2 Blockbuster Home games where each could pull 90,000 crowds

Burgess and his staff have to prepare the list Physically and Mentally to be absolutely ready to go Round 1.

AFL fans want to see us implode, they find it funny, it is expected. We have to hit them hard. 
i just hope Goodwin is up for the challenge, because last year he didn’t know how to fix problems that occurred 

“Be Patient Guys, it’s going to turn”

We cannot have any of that next year

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2019 at 3:39 PM, Queanbeyan Demon said:

The business case explained

There’s been a lot written here and elsewhere about Goodwin’s contract length and immediate short-term tenure. Here are four facts, and two estimates, that I would suggest will drive the thinking of the Club’s board over the next 12 months. The figures quoted are in the Club’s 2018 Annual Report and are the most recent publicly available.

Fact 1
Melbourne’s revenue in 2018 from football related actives was $44.8M. 

Fact 2
The AFL guarantees to cover player costs and other related expenses regardless of on-field performance. In 2018 this figure was $16.3M

Fact 3
Revenue in 2018 from Football related activities that the club has influence over, by dint of its on-field performances, was $27.5M. Here’s the breakdown.

  • Gate receipts $6,180,742
  • Merchandise $1,081,232
  • Membership, annual reserved seating and general fundraising $9,009,525
  • Sponsorship & corporate hospitality $11,287,779
  • Other revenue $922,363

The financial impact of 2019’s poor on-field performance could well be felt by drops in revenue across four of the line items above (i.e. gate receipts, merchandise, membership/reversed seating/gen fundraising and sponsorship/corporate).

Estimate 1
According to reports today, Ross Lyon’s contract in 2019, based on Freemantle’s on-field performance, is worth 600K. It wouldn’t be unreasonable to assume Goodwin is receiving something similar.  

Estimate 2
The cost of paying Goodwin out, should the Club move on him in the next 12 moths, would be somewhere between $1.2 and $1.8 million. This estimate assumes that the pay-out would be the equivalent of the contact's balance (assuming base payment).

Discussion
The Club’s on-field performance directly effects, or puts at risk, part of the $27.5M in revenue (based on 2018 figures). We can assume that a good year may well increase this revenue while a poor year will almost definitely have a negative consequence. By any measure 2019 has been a poor year and it would be reasonable to anticipate that revenue from club related activities will fall. The question is, by what amount? A five per cent fall in 2019 will mean a loss of $1.377M against the 2018 figure, while a 10 per cent fall will mean $2.755M. And this doesn't factor in opportunity costs . . . that is, revenue anticipated over and above the 2018 result that will also be foregone.

The problem the Club has is that this is now a ‘sunk-cost’. That is, the money is already gone and removing Goodwin now will not recover the 2019 financial situation. 

However . . . and presumably this is the Board’s current focus . . . 

If the Club doesn’t improve its on-field performance in 2020 by a substantial amount, the financial losses seriously mount. Another year where revenue is likely to be seriously down on 2018 levels makes the financial case for removing the coach pretty strong. It simply becomes a business decision. That is, the cost of keeping the coach versus removing him in order to stem the bleeding. For example, if the club has a poor year again in 2020, the potential losses over 2019/20 seasons compared to the 2018 season could well be in excess of $2.7M. It makes the case for removing the coach at a cost of $1.5M (assuming he goes during the bye in 2020) a no-brainer. 

Conclusion
Few people want harm to come to the Club or Goodwin. However, a year like this one in 2020 is going to be traumatic for one party or the other. 

And that’s fact number four.

 

You have stated figures "from the Club’s 2018 Annual Report". I think these figures are a little old.

Has the club's 2019 Annual Report been made public? If so, have you read it? If also so, are the figures you quote aligning with your argument?

I suspect not. 

Your post is not only narrowly from a business perspective, it ignores the football department perspective. Indeed, "The Business Case" begins not with anything to do with business but instead is an attack on the the coach.

Hope eternal. I can sniff success. When Melbourne wins the premiership with Goodwin as their coach I will shake your hand for making me stand up to your pessimism.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2019 at 4:55 PM, markc said:

its very poor by the ALF  re Anzac and Queens BD , we should host one each year , or are we planning on have a good year the crap year again .....  like the 90's one up one down ! 

I don't think this was the AFL's doing.  A year or so ago Barlett was having discussions with Eddie about QB.  I recall PJ wasn't keen on two block busters in one year then a drought the following year.  He rightly argued to alternate them so our revenues balance out. 

Technically, the ANZ Eve and QB revenues balance out over a two year period but imv we aren't financially strong enough to wear that yo-you, especially when adding the loss of pokie revenue.

I'm guessing 2019 decision was on the back of 'return Home games' at the G vs Rich and Coll which should theoretically balance out the 2019 $$...which turned out to be a fizzer of an idea!!

Bartlett agreed to the QB rotation one year early. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, AC/DeeC said:

You have stated figures "from the Club’s 2018 Annual Report". I think these figures are a little old.

Has the club's 2019 Annual Report been made public? If so, have you read it? If also so, are the figures you quote aligning with your argument?

I suspect not. 

Your post is not only narrowly from a business perspective, it ignores the football department perspective. Indeed, "The Business Case" begins not with anything to do with business but instead is an attack on the the coach.

Hope eternal. I can sniff success. When Melbourne wins the premiership with Goodwin as their coach I will shake your hand for making me stand up to your pessimism.

 

 

 

 

FMD! Bizarre. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I don't think this was the AFL's doing.  A year or so ago Barlett was having discussions with Eddie about QB.  I recall PJ wasn't keen on two block busters in one year then a drought the following year.  He rightly argued to alternate them so our revenues balance out. 

Technically, the ANZ Eve and QB revenues balance out over a two year period but imv we aren't financially strong enough to wear that yo-you, especially when adding the loss of pokie revenue.

I'm guessing 2019 decision was on the back of 'return Home games' at the G vs Rich and Coll which should theoretically balance out the 2019 $$...which turned out to be a fizzer of an idea!!

Bartlett agreed to the QB rotation one year early. 

Lucifer is totally wrong here.  It is an AFL decision and QB was the only blockbuster not being shared.  Bartlett did not agree to it and Lucifer you think you are a hero are totally wrong in saying Bartlett agreed to it.  My advice is withdraw the comment, administrators fix it or just ask Karl Langdon and the West - here comes a defamation action!  I actually think  people are getting really tired of people like Lucifer making defamatory comments online - mate clean up your act or you will get sued and cause this whole site to get shut down to our detriment and that of supporters.  Your PJ comment is astonishing.  He was the CEO when this would have been worked through so you are saying the President agreed to it but the CEO did not?? Give me a break. You obviously did not pay any attention to what was going on in terms of governance and management for the previous 5 years!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a little over the top Mr Terrier but there is a grain of truth in what you say. (Mind you the AFL stepped in only when Eddie said he wanted the game back.) Not sure it deserved the outrage. Would Collingwood have waited another year... we may never know

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/magpies-eager-for-their-share-of-queen-s-birthday-gate-20180604-p4zjfr.html

"The other issue is that we're alternating Anzac eve with Richmond," Jackson said. He said it was Richmond's turn to host the game next year and, should Collingwood host the holiday blockbuster, the Demons would not have either game in one season.

"I don't think that timing's right for a smaller club like the Melbourne Football Club," Jackson said.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

a little over the top Mr Terrier but there is a grain of truth in what you say. (Mind you the AFL stepped in only when Eddie said he wanted the game back.) Not sure it deserved the outrage. Would Collingwood have waited another year... we may never know

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/magpies-eager-for-their-share-of-queen-s-birthday-gate-20180604-p4zjfr.html

"The other issue is that we're alternating Anzac eve with Richmond," Jackson said. He said it was Richmond's turn to host the game next year and, should Collingwood host the holiday blockbuster, the Demons would not have either game in one season.

"I don't think that timing's right for a smaller club like the Melbourne Football Club," Jackson said.

Big Jim “grain of truth” sending links to what PJ said at the time about alternating hosting QB.  Why don’t you do your homework properly? Send the links where Bartlett opposed the concept of even alternating at all - his position was let’s not fight over QB as clubs with the oldest rivalry let’s lobby AFL to lock in 2 games each year and share a bigger pie. yet Mr Lucifer the Hero says he agreed to “give up QB a year early” Lucifer does not have a sceric of evidence on public record or at all yet the muppets just accept purported factual statements like this! What is your position on it? I am amazed at this biased love fest with our ex CEO - he was talking about alternating it and Bartlett opposed it publicly - go figure how someone like Lucifer can say Bartlett agreed to it - if you have the evidence put it up or I suggest shut the f$&k up (see earlier advice)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2019 at 7:39 AM, Queanbeyan Demon said:

However . . . and presumably this is the Board’s current focus . . . 

If the Club doesn’t improve its on-field performance in 2020 by a substantial amount, the financial losses seriously mount. Another year where revenue is likely to be seriously down on 2018 levels makes the financial case for removing the coach pretty strong. It simply becomes a business decision. That is, the cost of keeping the coach versus removing him in order to stem the bleeding. For example, if the club has a poor year again in 2020, the potential losses over 2019/20 seasons compared to the 2018 season could well be in excess of $2.7M. It makes the case for removing the coach at a cost of $1.5M (assuming he goes during the bye in 2020) a no-brainer. 

 

This isn't a business case. This is you simply highlighting the fact that business operations tend to be worth more than the people heading them. They wouldn't otherwise be businesses. 

The bolded bit is a highly flawed assumption, which is why people are paid to make actual business decisions in the first place. A business case would outline why replacing Goodwin would stem the bleeding.

And then there are further factors beyond that again. 

What you describe as a sunk cost, others may view as an investment. Ditching that investment would then be a truly sunk cost, which business leaders would consider when mulling over that option. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    JUST AN ABERRATION by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne unveiled its top recruits with new fitness boss Darren Burgess and mid-sized bull Christian Petracca sharing top billing in the team’s Marsh Community Series opener in front of 3,095 football starved fans at Casey Fields and thousands of others watching on screens of various shapes and sizes.  What they saw was a different Melbourne to the one that failed to run out its JLT Series games last year and then crashed in a heap early in the season proper with performances lacking the z

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 4

    CROWDOWN by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons open their 2020 season account with a "home" game against the Adelaide Crows at Casey Fields. It’s been more than 5 and half agonising months for the team and supporters who are eager to atone for the disappointing 2019 season which saw the Dees go from Preliminary Finalist to 2nd bottom on the ladder. The preseason campaign has been a hard slog with the addition of respected High Performance Manager Darren Burgess. We caught a glimpse of the gut busting sessions in the Melbourne

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE YEAR THE SKY FELL by The Oracle

    After a number of years of linear movement up the ladder, the Melbourne Football Club unexpectedly went into serious decline in 2019, slumping from fourth to 17th in a season that coach Simon Goodwin described “a complete wipe-out”. Those around the club who tried to analyse the apocalyptic events that unfolded during the year were hard pressed to find a single reason for the debacle but the most plausible explanation was that the club’s troubles stemmed from a lack of fitness and injuries that

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

×
×
  • Create New...