Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

If you could make any and every change...

What changes would you make across the club if you were in charge of every decision during the offseason? Delistings, trades, leadership changes, coaching staff etc...

Personally I'd start with leadership - havent seen anything from either co-captains since the Semi-Final last year and both need to be stood down. Replace them with Max as the sole captain with Melksham as vice. Delist or trade list cloggers who add absolutely zero to the team - Oscar, ANB, JKH, Stretch. I've loved Jones ever since he started, but jee he adds nothing to the team at all(1 tackle in 3 weeks) and would struggle getting a game next year and sadly I think it could be time. I'd honestly offer Lewis a contract before Jones at the moment. Quality outside run is one of many problems but probably top of the list in terms of trade targets, plus a more experienced key forward to help Tmac. Need to find some competent assistant coaches with quality experience - Voss, Richardson etc. so that when Goodwin is inevitably sacked we have them in the bag.

• Like 3

The premise of this thread deserves more love.

I'm sure everyone will repeat their standard well-worn rants within, but:

What changes would you personally make across the club if you were in charge of every decision during the off-season?

It sort of makes you as an anonymous poster accountable.

I don't know what I would do.

Probably shuffle out some inexperienced assistants (as is being done).

Maybe get another old-school head to sit above everything (a la Balme).

Explore whatever avenues there are to get the team confident/psyched again.

Be clear that we're aiming for the premiership regardless of 2019 results.

As per the list: we clearly need outside class and forward crumb as the most pressing areas.

I'm probably also shirking the biggest calls right now:

I would delist/give away Stretch/JKH/Maynard/J.Wag/Spargo and Omac.

It's a better crop than what we've been shedding in the recent past.

But I'm obviously one of the optimists/most delusional on this site.

What would you do - and would that amount to another rebuild?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As opposed to many id keep Jones for another year but not as captain. He’s not our worst and still adds imo. Also I believe he is still well loved and this team, more than any other, needs to rebuild morale. 

Viney has to lose captaincy. 

An experienced assistant coach added who may well have to take over mid next year. 

Obviously Some real list culling needed. If I have to watch ANB line up fr goal and  miss one more time I’ll spew up. So Him , Lewis, stretch, jwag, spargo , don’t know about omac. (Handy depth but not starting 22) . I know it’s super tough but maybe chandler too. Honestly he  looked as far away from being an afl player as anyone I’ve ever seen run out for us.  But  I don’t believe this is a “rebuild” as we  have a great core just crap depth and no pace.  I think we can sort most of it out in a year or two. Especially if jason Taylor is given a bigger brief than tough inside players only. 

Big summer. Which is already coming. But not just the fitness levels also Game style ( actually having one would be nice) goal kicking  and support for each other ie  rebuilding camaraderie. Something has been smelly all year in terms of this and if the root causes aren’t seen and addressed well, we’ll be Bk here again this time next year. 

Something has affected the team this year. Beyond injuries and re injuries and surgeries. Was it mainly fitness? Was it simply the spreading disappointment and shadow that comes over a club when it loses too often? Was it the leadership style of viney? Is there a split between jones and viney?  Or a split in the football dept? Was it Perts appointment? I don’t know the answers but I do know the club is at a real and dangerous low reminiscent of 2012/13. Goodwin has a lot of work to do and I hope he’s able ( and supported) to see clearly his own issues and those that are affecting this club. If he doesn’t his future will last all of about 6 games into 2020 and we can begin another rebuild. 

Max Gawn - Sole captain 

Delist: JKH, AnB, Stretch and J.Wagner

Trade out: J Viney (I know it won’t happen though), OMac

Trade in: Langdon, Hill

New game plan over off season

Solidified forward line over the preseason of: Tmac, Weid, Fritsch, J Smith, Hannan and Vandenberg

Burgess to reshape Trac into an explosive mid

Off-field:

New Footy GM (someone like Balme)

Let go of: Chaplin

New assistants (obviously)

Edited by At the break of Gawn
  • Like 1

Few (if any) of us get to see what actually goes on under the bonnet of the MFC from day to day which makes what we're told and how it is conveyed particularly important. I would make a point of only having our most articulate and expressive players front the media next year. People like T-Mac and Max are perfect examples and possibly Jakie Lever too although there may well be others. The interview in The Age with Maysie certainly helped me put his move to us in better perspective and has made me more empathetic as a result I think. This sort of stuff really helps a fan base when we're doing it tough. Onfield form aside I think that our two skippers are probably two of the last people I'd nominate for this role. Cliché central. It's hard to believe that Jack Viney was privately educated as he struggles to form coherent sentences. 

• Love 1

with no regard to cost the most important change would be get rid of Goodwin. Our list management is appalling. The most secure player we have is May, a very poor get and he can't get on the park. We would do better offloading him if we can find someone silly enough to take him. I would be getting rid of those who have not shown enough in their current contracts.

I love Vandenberg but he has not played a game since we signed him to a 3 year contract. O Mac would not get a game at another club. Spargo was never up to standard and was gifted games. Stretch and ANB do not do enough. KK, Jetta, Garlett and Hannan seem fragile. Jones and Lewis are at the age that will not see them beating many opponents. Pruess was a silly overpriced get for a back up. Weid on a good day is a third tall and is unseen on a bad day, worth trading. JKH has run out of contract. Chandler will probably never be best 22. Melksham's best work has been done closer to the middle as a link man. Fritch's best work is as a forward. Walker has had his chance. Hibberd is on his last slowing legs. Garlett too is at the end and was never going to be the future but may well be steak knives in a trade. KK who we obviously did no due diligence on, should go. 

Edited by Mental Demons
  • Haha 1

On 8/17/2019 at 9:43 AM, AaronDaveyChipsAndGravey said:

What changes would you make across the club if you were in charge of every decision during the offseason? Delistings, trades, leadership changes, coaching staff etc...

Personally I'd start with leadership - havent seen anything from either co-captains since the Semi-Final last year and both need to be stood down. Replace them with Max as the sole captain with Melksham as vice. Delist or trade list cloggers who add absolutely zero to the team - Oscar, ANB, JKH, Stretch. I've loved Jones ever since he started, but jee he adds nothing to the team at all(1 tackle in 3 weeks) and would struggle getting a game next year and sadly I think it could be time. I'd honestly offer Lewis a contract before Jones at the moment. Quality outside run is one of many problems but probably top of the list in terms of trade targets, plus a more experienced key forward to help Tmac. Need to find some competent assistant coaches with quality experience - Voss, Richardson etc. so that when Goodwin is inevitably sacked we have them in the bag.

I agree we have no leadership, that is obvious & your right, Max needs to be sole captain, but it wont happen......If you think that delisting Oscar M, ANB, JKH & Stretch is the answer to our problems, then you've got no idea. in fact ANB & Stretch have had more tackles last week between them that Jones & Viney had in the previous 3 weeks.(an area which has been publically identified as a big deficiency) 

Also Its worth checking out JKH & Stretch's efficiency in the last 2 games they've played...... Stretch being 100%v Crows & 88% v Swans......again an area that Goodwin has publically identified.

With the new 6,6,6 rules, all clubs need quality run on the outside,  however, if you would take your blinkers off, you'd realise we have it, but its just unfortunate that we play a selfish unsustainable style of footy that these players are not utilized to benefit the side. No point having quality outside run if you don't have a game plan to identify & use it.....

Yes T Mac needs help & quickly.

Instead we use players like J Lewis, & Jones who wont tackle, wont chase or be accountable......& you want to offer Lewis a new contract .......No hang on......yeah good idea, lets play these guys who only care about themselves & stop the development of the younger players & our club.

• Sad 1

Jones absolutely needs to go.

Lewis should be begged to hang around the club. Give Jones his life membership and make him a guest every now and then. but thanks for your service. Goodbye.

Viney demoted to VC. Gawn Captain.

Anyone arriving to pre season overweight immediately suspended for round 1.

ANB, Spargo, JKH, Stretch, Garlett to be shown the door. We need to stop hanging onto absolute spud list cloggers. Since I've been supporting this club for 30 years our list has been littered with lightweight spuds that we hang onto for way too long. I don't give a [censored] how efficient they are or how many tackles they lay. They are career "career players": every match they play, they play like they are playing for their career. Please just get rid of them ffs.

Put AVB up for trade to see what you get.

Dangle Brayshaw, Viney, and Hunt to see what's available and what their market value is. If someone bites with pace, skill and football smarts, do what you can to get the trade done.

If we land with pick 2, Anderson. If necessary find a way to upgrade to get pick 1. Throw Brayshaw and pick 2 to GC for pick 1 and a filler.

Goodwin given until round 12 to show improvement. At this stage I have changed my assessment and don't believe us to be finals caliber. Therefore I have lowered the expectation from "contention" to at least a record of 5-5. If any less, a % of less than 85% and he should be shown the door.

I could go on and on. 

7 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

I think Jones has one season left and would benefit immeasurably by not having the burden of captaincy to deal with.

Yes he has one season left in the VFL. He is done.

- Make Gawn outright captain with along with May or Lever as Vice.

- Re-sign Frost to a 2 year deal, Baker, Lockart, Stretch, Dunkley, Corey Wagner to all 1 year deals as we still need to have depth on our list for next year. Clearing out the likes of Bugg and Tyson last year has badly exposed our lack of depth.

- Delist Josh Wagner, Tim Smith, Corey Maynard, Declan Keilty, JKH.

-Retire Jordan Lewis, Jeff Garlett and Nathan Jones.

- Trade Alex Neal Bullen, Jayden Hunt and Oscar McDonald.

- Keep pick 3 for the likes of Hayden Young or Lachie Ash. If Ben King does decide to come home then i would trade that pick for him, and we get a potential 12 year key forward in the Tom Lynch mould.

- Be bold with our drafting this year. Look for a Liam Ryan, Sydney Stack and even a Willie Rioli type small forward who will come in a make a sudden impact.

- Tell Harrison Petty and Bayley Fritstch that they will be spending the whole summer in the forward groups learning their craft.

- Bring in some senior experienced coaching heads like an Alan Richardson, Matthew Knights, Shane O' Bree or a left field option in Gary Ayres and surround. Make an offer to Adam Yze to become our skills and offensive coach.

- With our trade options, we wont wheel in a big name recruit. So make Ed Langdon a priority tick him off the list. I would also bring in the likes of Tom Cutler or a Lewis Taylor to add outside speed depth. I would also sound out Isaac Smith management and just see where he is at with Clarko. He would add experience and leadership but also outside run. 

I would also look at a bloke by the name of Wylie Buzza. He's 199cm tall and has played 15 VFL games this year and has kicked 27.14. Can't get a game at Geelong when Tom Hawkins and Esava are your main key targets. He comes to the Dees and plays the Forward/Ruck role who gives Max a chop out in the ruck leaving Weideman and McDonald to play forward full time.

• Like 1

Honestly, I'd try to find some way of repairing the entire mental collapse that was Melb vs Eagles in the prelim final. Their mental state was obliterated in that game, and the knowledge of that plus the weight of expectation has been the biggest factor for this year.

Perhaps we can make personnel or management changes, but I think getting in someone to get their heads right would be the best change I'd make.

All assistant coaches, mentors and Baloney.  Delist 2 x Wagners ,Garlett ,Keilty , T.Smith , N.Jones , Lewis , JKH , ANB , Hibberd . Trade Viney for O.Wines and hence we can get rid of his Dad .......... Huge savings . No.2 Pick B.Kemp, reminds me of Cripps. Trade Brayshaw for B.Hill and K.Langdon . Bring in ex Saint coach A.Richardson as he will put pressure on Goody. Keep O'Mac in reserves ( forward position only ) until he makes it otherwise delist next year. Change game plan 

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

Max captain, Viney VC, Melksham, and Jetta (and maybe Lever depending on fitness) as the leadership group. Jones gets one more year for me but relinquishes captaincy with no guarantees of spot (similar or Lewis this year).

ANB, Stretch, Keilty, both Wagners, JKH, Maynard (already gone) all get delisted. I'm unsure of Garlett's contract but if he doesn't have another year to run he gets the chop too. I would like to see OMac traded out and we get another tall defender in (not sure who). 

Target pace/outside run at the trade and draft table. We have to get small a forward or two that will work hard and provide a spark.

If Ratten or Voss doesn't get the Saints job then target either one for a midfield coaching role. Hire a skills coach, I saw Yze mentioned above I would love that.

Delist: Stretch, Keilty, Wagner boys, Maynard and JKH

Trade: ANB

Look at offers for every player except Gawn. Imo only one player is untouchable, every other player should be open to being traded

Sell 2 more games (4 total) to NT, we need the money and frankly we won't be competing for top 8 next year

Bring in some high end footy executives, and new recruitment team. Change the entire board, change every assistant except Rawlings

9 hours ago, deebug said:

Get the best mids we can at the club.

Tell Jones his time is up.

Get rid of NT game

Swap a third of tigers eagles and lions with our players.

New coach maybe clarko

pies training facilities 

and be sponsored by some rich emerite family

I don't think it would come as a surprise to anyone that the first change I would make is Goodwin.  I understand that it would cost a fortune given he's just been given four more years, but his gameplan is shot and he can't seem to grasp the concept that key indicators are only worth pursuing if you do them RIGHT

Ideally I would like to replace Goodwin with someone with experience.  Brisbane have shown us how much that counts.  I'd love to see Brett Ratten given another shot.  He had Carlton performing way above their level when he coached them and never should have been sacked.  If not someone with senior experience then my preference would be Rawlings.  He's never put a foot wrong and his department always seems to perform better then their teammates. 

We've already seen some movement in the assistants.  The two things we need most in that area is a really good skills coach and someone who can teach our forwards how to function as a unit instead of getting in each other's way at every contest. 

As for players:

Retire:

• Lewis
  • Garlett

Delist/Trade:

• Stretch
  • JKH
  • OMac
  • J. Wagner
  • C. Wagner
  • T. Smith
  • Maynard (already gone)
  • Walker
  • Keilty

Willing to listen to offers for:

• Hunt
  • ANB
  • Spargo
  • Hannan
  • AVB

I know that's conservative for some, but it makes room for six senior additions and five rookies.  It may free up more room on our senior list for all I know.  They've made the rules far too complicated.  I'm also torn on Nev Jetta.  I love the guy, but he's struggled this year.  It may be time for him to bow out.  Jones we keep as the old stager/experience.  He can hang out in the forward pocket and improve our team set shot stats.  Gawn gets the captaincy. 

With the space on our senior list, we need to go hard for a serious A-grade mid.  My preference remains Coniglio.  He's not Dangerfield, but he ticks all the boxes for us.  It would be worth our while to throw the bank at him.  Other than that I agree that we need outside run and skill.  Hill, Langdon and Martin are all viable targets.  Go for all of them and see which ones bite.  We need at least one of them.

We fight like hell to prevent GC getting pick two as a bonus.  Anderson is a gun.  Pick two is not on the table.  Draft Anderson.  Later picks, I agree with  whoever it was earlier who mentioned guys like Stack, Kelly and that dude at WC.  We need to take the risk on one of the insanely talented freaks with worrying attitude.  It's not like the safe players we keep picking are blowing anyone away. 

On a serious note;

Captain/leadership shuffle. Gawn & May are my obvious game day oberservations.

Draft- Pick 2 = Noah Anderson (Pick not to be traded under any circumstances). I would like to see us bring in a couple of indigenous players. We play in the NT and should have access to the talent available. 

Target- Adem Yze and Brad Green to add to coaching and skills. Al Richardson or a senior head also.

Trade- be aggressive to get the type of players we need. We should be targeting;

- Hill & Langdon as a package 

- Tomlinson & Daniels

- Higgins (North) & Smith (Hawks)

- King (Suns) 2020 R1 & player

I won’t list who we should trade out of respect! But there are many.

Not sure what shape our salary cap is in. But we need to make room.