Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Craig Jennings Gone at Seasons End

praha

This is an industry with a fixed cycle.  By August 1, coaches are supposed to know their ‘futures’ at the club.  It is also the time that coaches that want change put their hand up.  Pushed?  Jumping?  Who cares.  I suspect he is moving on to get his opportunity to become a ‘real coach’ instead of a pervert of other lists.

I would be happy with a tigers-like clean out of assistant coaches, and bring in some fresh talent and capability.  Not sure we had the best roster anyway.

With a reset of the fitness dept, a swag of changes in the coaches dept, the heat will mount on Goody next year if things dont turn around.  The club are backing him, and so will I.  But he has until about round 6 of next year before things get ugly, I’d reckon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cam Schwab's Whiteboard said:

Interesting times... 

So the Club is clearly backing Goodwin in. What I want to know is how much input he had into these coaching changes. Are these decisions being made above his head (and what would have happened if the 3 year contract wasn't signed)? Or is this Goodwin recognising that a new direction in both approach and style need a change? Maybe both?

Hopefully it's Goodwin coming to the realisation that they've got the whole thing wrong and it's time for a new direction.

Does anyone know any information about potential replacements? I would hate to think the broom is out without anyone lined up.

Goodwin hand picked Macca and Jennings - worked with both at Essendon.  That both are going suggests Goodwin has been told.  I suspect by Pert and Bartlett. 

The coaching changes mid year and now says he failed to put together a coaching team that can bring success. imv, now more than ever, we critically need a senior football person to mentor and hold Goodwin accountable.  Not fussed on the title but someone with authority that Goodwin reports to rather than the person report to Goodwin as Macca did.  Someone who isn't his mate.

That person is not Mahoney - he has endorsed Goodwin's coaching appointments, game plans etc.  imv he is part of the problem:  an excellent administrator but a poor manager with poor football nouse.

I eagerly await the new coaching appointments.  Hopefully, some successful line coaches instead of Plapp and Chaplin.  Most of all we need a forward coach.  Most of our assistant and development coaches were primarily backmen.  So is it any wonder our our midfield to fwd connection is poor and our fwds are like Brown's cows.   Big cleanout required.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

8 hours ago, rjay said:

Jennings wants to be a senior coach some day...

The word has been he would leave at the end of this year.

It makes sense for him career wise to take on a senior VFL job.

I wouldn't read any more into it than this.

Of course with the year we're having many will read too much into his departure.

Spot on rjay, given he's never played at the highest level he needs to show he has the capability to lead his own team. Chris Fagan is the only current AFL coach who never played at the level, but had extensive experience coaching his own sides before given a shot at an assistant level. Jennings has the reputation across the league as the best analyst of the game, and a great teacher but needs to show he can operate in his own right so he gets to get the opportunities afforded to ex-players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swooper1987 said:

Where does Josh Mahoney sit with all this? This guy has been at the club since 2008 when he came over with Dean Bailey as an assistant coach. He has managed to survive just about the worst period in the clubs history and has outlasted everyone to rise to senior leadership. Just wondering if anyone knows 1) how it is that he has survived so long? I heard 3)Roos once describe him as a potentially 2) great footy administrator (that was about 2014). Any ideas?

1) Well versed in the dark arts of Machiavellian techniques!

2) As noted in my post above:  Mahoney is an excellent administrator but imv a poor manager with poor football nouse.

3) Roos was right but at some point PJ promoted Mahoney from Football Manager (which had a football administration focus eg trading, contracts, sal cap management, personnel matters etc etc) to GM Football ie administration and coaching, fitness, medical, list managment, development, recruiting.

My take is that Mahoney stayed focused on the football admin, leaving the rest up to the area chiefs.  Delegation is a good thing if the right protocols are in place to have those areas work together, achieve results, manage outcomes and take corrective action as soon as needed. 

The extent of changes in our Fitness, Coaching so far and those to come in Medical, and Player List says Mahoney has taken a 'hands-off' approach for several years and failed to develop those protcols and form a cohesive Football Department.

When the mid year coaches were announced Pert said 'Mahoney will own the outcomes'.  He is clearly being held responsible, as he should be, for the all the Football Department (not just admin) and how we perform next year.  I reckon Mahoney is also on notice.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

hasn't this been a known known for some time?

i'm sure it was mentioned mid-year that jennings was goneski at the end of the year

it's like the mccartney news

rooke will be the next to confirm an exit

Correct on all fronts there mate (as far as what I've heard anyway).

Although, might be fairer to say the Jennings one has been a rumour for some time rather than 'known'.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, buck_nekkid said:

This is an industry with a fixed cycle.  By August 1, coaches are supposed to know their ‘futures’ at the club.  It is also the time that coaches that want change put their hand up.  Pushed?  Jumping?  Who cares.  I suspect he is moving on to get his opportunity to become a ‘real coach’ instead of a pervert of other lists.

I would be happy with a tigers-like clean out of assistant coaches, and bring in some fresh talent and capability.  Not sure we had the best roster anyway.

With a reset of the fitness dept, a swag of changes in the coaches dept, the heat will mount on Goody next year if things dont turn around.  The club are backing him, and so will I.  But he has until about round 6 of next year before things get ugly, I’d reckon.

Spot on buck. As you correctly note football departments have cycles and all have a shelf life, in the particular assistanct coaches and roles like Jennings. The changes at the tigers are a good example.

Have a season like we have and changes are inevitable. Just as inevitable as the cackling from the henny penny collective.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

No surprise, if any of the assistants survive I'll be shocked. The cleanout should've happened last year.

They won't all go, but the only one I'll be disappointed about if he does is Rawlings. Seems to have that good mix of relationship building and respect (as an outsider's opinion anyway), which si something I think Goodwin could learn from.

Wouldn't be totally surprised to see Twig leave though. He's highly rated in the industry, and potentially could be annoyed about being brought back from Casey as he was very keen on having his own team for the sake of his development as a coach.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, binman said:

Spot on buck. As you correctly note football departments have cycles and all have a shelf life, in the particular assistanct coaches and roles like Jennings. The changes at the tigers are a good example.

Have a season like we have and changes are inevitable. Just as inevitable as the cackling from the henny penny collective.

You push your opinions very strongly but they are still just opinions.  Calling those that have a different opinion to yours the 'henny penny collective' is disrespectful.

There is some intelligent posting from insightful posters on here and there is no need to be speak of them pejoratively. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Goodwin hand picked Macca and Jennings - worked with both at Essendon.  That both are going suggests Goodwin has been told.  I suspect by Pert and Bartlett. 

The coaching changes mid year and now says he failed to put together a coaching team that can bring success. imv, now more than ever, we critically need a senior football person to mentor and hold Goodwin accountable.  Not fussed on the title but someone with authority that Goodwin reports to rather than the person report to Goodwin as Macca did.  Someone who isn't his mate.

That person is not Mahoney - he has endorsed Goodwin's coaching appointments, game plans etc.  imv he is part of the problem:  an excellent administrator but a poor manager with poor football nouse.

I eagerly await the new coaching appointments.  Hopefully, some successful line coaches instead of Plapp and Chaplin.  Most of all we need a forward coach.  Most of our assistant and development coaches were primarily backmen.  So is it any wonder our our midfield to fwd connection is poor and our fwds are like Brown's cows.   Big cleanout required.

Thanks for the response.

If it's coming from above, do you think Goodwin would be out the door too if he wasn't signed up already?
I'm wondering whether Pert et. al. extended him because they absolutely believe in Goodwin but not those around him? Or whether they don't believe in any of the coaching staff but are beholden to the 3 year deal for the moment.

So all talk about assistants leaving, but who replaces them?

Alan Richardson nearly 100% to got o North?

Brendon Bolton? was a great assistant at Hawthorn under Clarko - but was that the Clarko factor?

J Roughead - would be a great appointment as forward line coach and culture driver?

Should we go hard to get Yze back to the club?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cam Schwab's Whiteboard said:

Thanks for the response.

If it's coming from above, do you think Goodwin would be out the door too if he wasn't signed up already?
I'm wondering whether Pert et. al. extended him because they absolutely believe in Goodwin but not those around him? Or whether they don't believe in any of the coaching staff but are beholden to the 3 year deal for the moment.

I bet they wish they hadn't prematurely re-signed him

Nowhere to hide now  Mr Pert and Mr Mahoney

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cam Schwab's Whiteboard said:

Thanks for the response.

Have no real insight to answer those questions.  But my thoughts are:

- Goodwin would not be out the door if not already signed up.  He has enough runs on the board to buy him time and I truly believe there is no-one better available now or OOC next year. 

- Reckon everyone absolutely believed in Goodwin and the doubts in the people around Goodwin have been plain to see for a long time - doubts about individuals and the football team as a whole.

- Pert et all would still renew Goodwin's this year but perhaps for a shorter term on less coin.  Hopefully they included a solid list of KPI's and not bedazzled by the finish to 2018.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Demon3 said:

So all talk about assistants leaving, but who replaces them?

Alan Richardson nearly 100% to got o North?

Brendon Bolton? was a great assistant at Hawthorn under Clarko - but was that the Clarko factor?

J Roughead - would be a great appointment as forward line coach and culture driver?

Should we go hard to get Yze back to the club?

Only name I've heard rumoured so far has been Cam Bruce. Could potentially replace Jenning's role, but also could depend on what happens with the senior job at the Blues though.

Has been a little bit of buzz about Bolton due to the Demons-Hawks coaching connections, but haven't heard anything yet as to if he's being interviewed etc.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Find it amazing earlier in the season many here and in media were questioning the competence of the Melbourne coaching staff and we were told all was ok, we have the right coaching team, the metrics are trending positively yah yah yah>

No review necessary  etc etc.

Now all of a sudden we are having external  review  overseen  by Mahoney and we are jettisoning coaches like no toomorrow.

Has the football club finally woken up from their slumber?

The whole year has been about spin and I for one am tired of it.

We can handle the truth!!!

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

1 minute ago, Lord Nev said:

Only name I've heard rumoured so far has been Cam Bruce. Could potentially replace Jenning's role, but also could depend on what happens with the senior job at the Blues though.

Has been a little bit of buzz about Bolton due to the Demons-Hawks coaching connections, but haven't heard anything yet as to if he's being interviewed etc.

Cam would be great to get back to the club.