Jump to content

  • Podcast:     

  • Podcast:     

Casey redevelopment



Recommended Posts

  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry to say it will be the centre of a Type of civilisation within 20 years  Kilometre after kilometre of boring little boxes with no backyards  Built in what was once our most fertile farm

Looks great. Now they just need to jack it all up and move it 50km closer to civilisation. 

Who goes to the city anymore? Tourists?

Posted Images

Casey Shire is the demographic heartland of Melbourne anyway. The MCG is so 1964.

Other things that are so 1964:

1. EH Holden with 179 motor.

2. Red smelly trains on the Dandenong line. 

3. Two shillings for fish and chips (just guessing on that one)

4. Melbourne rampant in the finals.

5. Jimmy Nichols as fill-in drummer for The Beatles for part of Australian tour.

6. John Nicholls, 6 foot 2 ruckman.

7. Cassius Clay getting liniment rubbed in his eyes during Sonny Liston fight.

8. Brown paper bags (with money for Ron).

9. Getting the cuts.

10. The drop-kick.

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, bush demon said:

Casey Shire is the demographic heartland of Melbourne anyway. The MCG is so 1964.

Other things that are so 1964:

1. EH Holden with 179 motor.

2. Red smelly trains on the Dandenong line. 

3. Two shillings for fish and chips (just guessing on that one)

4. Melbourne rampant in the finals.

5. Jimmy Nichols as fill-in drummer for The Beatles for part of Australian tour.

6. John Nicholls, 6 foot 2 ruckman.

7. Cassius Clay getting liniment rubbed in his eyes during Sonny Liston fight.

8. Brown paper bags (with money for Ron).

9. Getting the cuts.

10. The drop-kick.

 

The place kick?

Link to post
Share on other sites

We moved to the Junction in 1986, Cameron Swab suggested we move lock stock and barrel to Casey in 2010, here we are, still nomads, staggering around on the flip of a coin.

Link to post
Share on other sites

"The new Etihad City Football Academy (CFA) will sit within the 84-hectare Casey Fields Sporting Precinct (Casey Fields), and will feature an elite training tablet pitch, four full-sized floodlit pitches, a two-story elite performance and HQ building and space for a 4000-capacity mini-stadium to be created as part of a future ‘Stage Three’ construction.  "

 

how much space is there at Casey fields?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, roy11 said:

"The new Etihad City Football Academy (CFA) will sit within the 84-hectare Casey Fields Sporting Precinct (Casey Fields), and will feature an elite training tablet pitch, four full-sized floodlit pitches, a two-story elite performance and HQ building and space for a 4000-capacity mini-stadium to be created as part of a future ‘Stage Three’ construction.  "

 

how much space is there at Casey fields?

 

https://www.casey.vic.gov.au/facilities-hire/casey-fields

88 hectares apparently

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cards13 said:

The place kick?

Peanuts in the shell sold in a paper bag at the G from the short old bloke who lugged them around in a hessian sack in the outer.

Forget shillings. Sixpence, (my bus fare in '64), then got you minimum chips - in other words heaps. It was a bit of a walk home unfortunately but happy to share with my mates who I used to play kick to kick with on the road with only an occasional car interrupting our speckies, balks and sealers. Fond memories.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

most of it is occupied by one club/sport or another.

There is a large ashphalt area adjoining the athletic track where they race land yachts.

There is also space between our oval and the main road which is not being used to the naked eye.

On the other side of our oval is a wetlands complex which I cannot see being touched.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, maximum bob said:

Peanuts in the shell sold in a paper bag at the G from the short old bloke who lugged them around in a hessian sack in the outer.

Forget shillings. Sixpence, (my bus fare in '64), then got you minimum chips - in other words heaps. It was a bit of a walk home unfortunately but happy to share with my mates who I used to play kick to kick with on the road with only an occasional car interrupting our speckies, balks and sealers. Fond memories.

Sure do remember him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Half forward flank said:

Great stuff, also Casey has the Basketball stadium. With a little vision you can imagine this area in 10 to 20 years. 

Imagine it how?

The entire project is a tremendous rort. Instead of building community facilities throughout the new housing estates (aka future slums) they've taken the development money and put it all in one place.

Then they've splashed out on getting semi professional teams and training bases instead of actually providing the community with what they need spread around the suburbs so local businesses can merge in with facilities.

It's the sporting version of an awful suburban shopping centre with the same crappy parking and soulless vibe.

Just maybe when they build the train line in 30 years it might stand a chance.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think that extending the Trainline down to Casey from Cranbourne could actually make it a viable location for boutique stadium. I also would have no issue with us making it our primary base of operations provided the facilities out there are elite. 

I’d still prefer us being closer to the G but I’m also sick of us being nomads. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Pates said:

I still think that extending the Trainline down to Casey from Cranbourne could actually make it a viable location for boutique stadium. I also would have no issue with us making it our primary base of operations provided the facilities out there are elite. 

I’d still prefer us being closer to the G but I’m also sick of us being nomads. 

I’m warming to the idea of two bases that we’re moving toward.  A large elite one out at Casey and a boutique version near the G. But I agree any frikn home is welcome at this point. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

None of our supporters live in that area. I don’t have the stats, but I’d have a guess that around 2% would live in that area. 
 

Casey is a growing area that caters to a lot of migrants, none of whom are interested in Australian Football. With City Football Group now in competition for supporters in the area, and the A League moving to a winter sport, there is no better time than now to cut the cord with Casey. It’s a waste of time. 
 

Soccer will have far greater success in that area than we ever will. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, maximum bob said:

Forget shillings. Sixpence, (my bus fare in '64), then got you minimum chips - in other words heaps. It was a bit of a walk home

Bob, that is exactly what I did. 

Chips and not a bus ride. The pack was sixpence.

I still enjoy walking.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Imagine it how?

The entire project is a tremendous rort. Instead of building community facilities throughout the new housing estates (aka future slums) they've taken the development money and put it all in one place.

Then they've splashed out on getting semi professional teams and training bases instead of actually providing the community with what they need spread around the suburbs so local businesses can merge in with facilities.

It's the sporting version of an awful suburban shopping centre with the same crappy parking and soulless vibe.

Just maybe when they build the train line in 30 years it might stand a chance.

I think you need to go check out the Casey basketball stadium, Full of happy, fit kids and adults playing morning, noon and nights. Future slums?  Just a slur on the people who live and work in the area. The old guard like you just reinforce why the MFC should change direction. Fortunately I think Casey will be a big part of MFC future. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, maximum bob said:

Peanuts in the shell sold in a paper bag at the G from the short old bloke who lugged them around in a hessian sack in the outer.

Forget shillings. Sixpence, (my bus fare in '64), then got you minimum chips - in other words heaps. It was a bit of a walk home unfortunately but happy to share with my mates who I used to play kick to kick with on the road with only an occasional car interrupting our speckies, balks and sealers. Fond memories.

What were your attire like bob, genuinely interested. I have the images of The Sullivan’s. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Half forward flank said:

I think you need to go check out the Casey basketball stadium, Full of happy, fit kids and adults playing morning, noon and nights. Future slums?  Just a slur on the people who live and work in the area. The old guard like you just reinforce why the MFC should change direction. Fortunately I think Casey will be a big part of MFC future. 

I'd rather walk in the middle of the Monash than hear the horrendous noise of a basketball stadium, no one should be subjected to that constant thump thump thump. But yes, basketball stadiums are good community facilities, well done.

No one works in these areas, just subdivision after subdivision, everyone has to commute for work. Slowly as the cheap home builds start to fade and without any investment in infrastructure the area will become increasingly soulless and more unappealing. I'd have more respect for the people that live there than the property developers who raked in millions then got the heck away from it and the councillors that allowed it to happen. I'm not anti the outer suburbs or the people that live there, I'm anti how little time, money and sense has been put in to making them succeed because if they don't succeed they are going to cost everyone.

For a start I'd build the transport to be ready for the housing not 30 years later, heck I'd even build a Frankston, Cranbourne, Berwick train line so these suburbs are connected to a relevant hub in Frankston that isn't an hour away. Then instead of allowing row of home after home I'd mix in some medium density apartments and townhouses around the transport hubs and some business zones to attract jobs. Maybe even get lucky and get a restaurant that isn't a McDonald's. Then I'd spread the ovals out around the suburbs so everyone has easily accessible green space that doesn't involve driving to the same facility. At the moment all they leave is a wetlands which is just code for 'this area was too boggy to build on'.

Building every sporting field together is a cop out and if there's not even good transport or surrounding businesses I don't see how it helps the community. To make it sound better they've gone out to sign professional teams but so far are looking at 1.5 training bases. Good for them if they can get Melbourne City to actually play games there but the Dandenong boutique stadium makes far more sense, so I'd be hoping they can get the funding to get that happening.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I'd rather walk in the middle of the Monash than hear the horrendous noise of a basketball stadium, no one should be subjected to that constant thump thump thump. But yes, basketball stadiums are good community facilities, well done.

No one works in these areas, just subdivision after subdivision, everyone has to commute for work. Slowly as the cheap home builds start to fade and without any investment in infrastructure the area will become increasingly soulless and more unappealing. I'd have more respect for the people that live there than the property developers who raked in millions then got the heck away from it and the councillors that allowed it to happen. I'm not anti the outer suburbs or the people that live there, I'm anti how little time, money and sense has been put in to making them succeed because if they don't succeed they are going to cost everyone.

For a start I'd build the transport to be ready for the housing not 30 years later, heck I'd even build a Frankston, Cranbourne, Berwick train line so these suburbs are connected to a relevant hub in Frankston that isn't an hour away. Then instead of allowing row of home after home I'd mix in some medium density apartments and townhouses around the transport hubs and some business zones to attract jobs. Maybe even get lucky and get a restaurant that isn't a McDonald's. Then I'd spread the ovals out around the suburbs so everyone has easily accessible green space that doesn't involve driving to the same facility. At the moment all they leave is a wetlands which is just code for 'this area was too boggy to build on'.

Building every sporting field together is a cop out and if there's not even good transport or surrounding businesses I don't see how it helps the community. To make it sound better they've gone out to sign professional teams but so far are looking at 1.5 training bases. Good for them if they can get Melbourne City to actually play games there but the Dandenong boutique stadium makes far more sense, so I'd be hoping they can get the funding to get that happening.

I know a number of people who live in those sub divisions. One family lives within a 2 minute walk of a park with a basketball practice area, kids playground and BBQ. And another  new school opening within a year. What you describe, although exaggerated and untrue is little different than the development of Eastern suburbs like Doncaster and Templestowe 50 years ago. More relevant to MFC is the area is full of young families and it is proven footy, AFL, provides a fantastic pathway to intergration and community. So lets make MFC a destination club for these kids through our on the plate facility at Casey.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Melbourne Football Club deserves to be in the Heartland of Melbourne. That is our name!! No point  looking at Casey when the Club is actively looking at the MCG precinct which is the main priority. Yes Casey is suffice for now, but long term we MUST be within the MCG area.

Edited by DeesViney
Typo
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, DeesViney said:

The Melbourne Football Club deserves to be in the Heartland of Melbourne. That is our name!! No point  looking at Casey when the Club is actively looking at the MCG precinct which is the main priority. Yes Casey is suffice for now, but long term we MUST be within the MCG area.

I hope your long term is not as long term as the current wait 40+ years and counting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, old dee said:

I hope your long term is not as long term as the current wait 40+ years and counting.

That's exactly it OD, we've been waiting and waiting and waiting for a base in the Melbourne Sporting Precinct. I'm not saying it's impossible, and I take Pert and Co at their word that there is hope for it, but if it's not going to happen let's get ourselves into an elite base because EVERY OTHER TEAM in the competition has bolted out of the gates on this issue while we continue to just sit there and wait.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    CANCEL CULTURE by Whispering Jack

    I’m not one who likes mixing politics with sport but it should be noted there have been some unusual trends in the world of sport lately. In the US, Major League Baseball announced that it’s moving the 2021 All-Star Game and the 2021 MLB Draft out of Georgia, in response to the state’s new voting law. Over here, there’s a move to force Carlton to change its club song because the original song on which it was based (written in the late 1800s) has “racist connotations”. The Blues maintain the curr

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MOGGIES MASTERED by George on the Outer

    They say that herding cats is an impossible task but not for the Melbourne Demons who through relentless pressure, scored a commanding 25 point victory in Round 4 over Geelong at the MCG. The team that missed the AFL finals only once in the past dozen years were shown up by the new Demons of 2021 who have recorded their first 4-0 opening to the season in 21 years! Melbourne knew what was coming, and it was Geelong who were shown up for their inability to adapt to the 2021 style of foot

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    UNDER MY SKIN by The Oracle

    The story goes that there’s a certain player from Geelong who has been seen in Moorabool Street crooning the old Sinatra classic, “I’ve got you under my skin.” His name is O’Connor and he’s been tasked to achieve one thing on Sunday by his coach, Chris Scott: to get under the skin of a Demon midfielder on Sunday and thereby tag him out of the big contest at the G. The idea behind the tactic is to not only blunt one of the team’s most destructive weapons but to distract them all from producing th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MAX IN SPACE

    Demon skipper Max Gawn is one big unit at 208cm and lately he’s been standing even taller. We already know that he’s unstoppable in the air when going for a mark but with three consecutive victories to open the season, you might say that he has his head in the clouds.  And that is literally true thanks to a fan at Demonland.com who recently arranged for our big ruckman to go even further than the clouds but way beyond to the edge of space and into the stratosphere. And this photograph of Ma

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 25

    CAPITAL PUNISHMENT by George on the Outer

    A 34-point win in the nation’s capital has seen the Demons kill the Giants hopes early in the 2021 season. It wasn’t only the scoreboard, but a succession of injuries to major players for GWS that has put paid to their aspirations. The winning result wasn’t just due to the opposition losing players, but also to the relentless pressure from this 2021 Melbourne side that put them in the winners circle. In past years, a 16 point deficit at the first change combined with a rampant Toby Greene w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    POWER AND THE PASSION by Whispering Jack

    The Demons ran out for their Qualifying Final match against the Fremantle Dockers at Casey Fields as the sounds of Midnight Oils’ “Power and the Passion cascaded over the mainly friendly pro-Melbourne crowd. It was a far cry from the season opener at Carrara in late January where few of their fans were in attendance in high 20’s heat and humidity and silence greeted every score from the slow-starting Demons. They ran away from the lowly Suns, won comfortably in the end and followed that with ano

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BREAK OUT by Whispering Jack

    Despite the chaotic events occurring in Canberra over the past few weeks, one thing is for certain. This weekend’s game at Manuka Oval in the nation’s capital between the GWS Giants and Melbourne will decide which of Scott Morrison or Leon Cameron is the most under the pump at this point in time.  This time twelve months ago, the Giants were coming off a season in which they had played off in a grand final. They opened up their 2020 campaign with a resounding 32-point victory in round 1 aga

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MARVELOUS PRESSURE by George on the Outer

    Is this a new form of Melbourne which has suddenly emerged in 2021?  In the past, whenever the pressure was applied, the team would falter early and as a consequence, it would more often than not, be forced to confront its own self-inflicted failure. But perhaps not so this year. The match at Marvel Stadium against the Saints provided an insight into how creating pressure, actually relieves it on the club, players and coach. Right from the start, Melbourne was there to make a stat

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    STUCK IN THE MIDDLE by The Oracle

    Throughout the off season, St Kilda was touted as an improver and a possible challenger for a top four position mainly off the back of another good trade and draft period at the end of last year. Then in Round 1, the undermanned Saints made a shaky start and almost succumbed to the Giants but they managed to come home from a wet and woolly Sydney with the four points intact. For Round 2, they have a couple of handy players returning so they come into the the game at Marvel Stadium choc

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A SCRAPPY, SLOPPY SUCCESS by George on the Outer

    After what seemed like an eternity without Footy in Melbourne, the Demons and their fans produced a scrappy, sloppy yet successful return to the MCG. Yet is was against an interstate team from the furthest reaches of the country, but the 21K fans who made it through the gates, was way below expectations for numbers.  Sure it can’t have helped with all the difficulty that Ticketek imposed just to get a ticket, and since you just couldn’t walk up, perhaps the number wasn’t that surprising.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    UNFINISHED BUSINESS by Whispering Jack

    The Melbourne Football Club has unfinished business with Fremantle after that unexpected loss in their previous clash at Cazaly’s Stadium in Cairns cost it a place in last year’s finals campaign.   Back then, the tired Demons spluttered listlessly through the humid conditions in tropical far North Queensland playing in and losing two games in the space of four days and against two lowly clubs. The end result was much more than an embarrassment for the club given what was at stake at th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    PRACTICE PUMMELLING by George on the Outer

    Was this a practice for what lay ahead for the Demons in 2021 or was it an outcome to expect because it was used as a true practice game? Those of us on the outside will never know, but a 39 point loss to the Western Bulldogs was a pummelling in anyone’s language. We can draw some consolation from the players that Melbourne put on the field, with Toby Bedford, Jake Bowey, Kade Chandler, James Jordon and Tom Sparrow each getting a guernsey whereas they probably would not normally be in the f

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports


×
×
  • Create New...