Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Garry Lyon

Mattdees

41 minutes ago, Mattdees said:

Can I please watch a football game without Garry Lyon constantly putting a downer on the demons. Followed this awesome club for nearly 40 years now. Sick of hearing his sarcastic [censored] commentary and putrid comments. [censored] Him off from anything involving the demons annoys me so much. We know we aren’t playing well don’t need a constant reminder from this [censored] 

http://giphygifs.s3.amazonaws.com/media/41fNzHM9xS78Q/giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree that Lyon is a terrible commentator and footy pundit in general.

Unfortunately he's charismatic and surface level smart, do he has always been able to cruise through without doing any work. He's lazy and unaccountable.

As such, he's a very, very superficial analyst. He knows the general things to say so that he doesn't get caught out, but his lack of preparation is very obvious.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mattdees said:

Can I please watch a football game without Garry Lyon constantly putting a downer on the demons. Followed this awesome club for nearly 40 years now. Sick of hearing his sarcastic [censored] commentary and putrid comments. [censored] Him off from anything involving the demons annoys me so much. We know we aren’t playing well don’t need a constant reminder from this [censored] 

Yeah I know we haven’t been great but he is extremely negative. 

26 minutes ago, Axis of Bob said:

I agree that Lyon is a terrible commentator and footy pundit in general.

Unfortunately he's charismatic and surface level smart, do he has always been able to cruise through without doing any work. He's lazy and unaccountable.

As such, he's a very, very superficial analyst. He knows the general things to say so that he doesn't get caught out, but his lack of preparation is very obvious.

100% disagree. Maybe when it comes to other teams, I don’t listen that closely, but when he talks Melbourne he obviously watches very closely as a fan/former player and his thoughts are often very similar to how I’m feeling.

I agree with he OP. Every time I hear him speak I want to ask him if we'd be better off with a school-teacher at the helm. My near favourite player growing up behind Jako and Tingay. Lost all credit points with me. I would be embarrassed enough to the point of refusing to comment on the woes of a club if I nearly helped to personally destroy it.

Edited by Skuit

i see what you mean but at this point, i could not care less. 

eddie mcguire grinds my gears more than Garry, 

(P.S. love Garry's morning radio show with Tim Watson, he is quite good on that if you gave it a listen) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattdees said:

He will change his tune when we start playing afl level footy. We are a disgrace and a footy team with no skill which is pathetic. 

Lyon is probably frustrated like all of us hence his remarks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mattdees said:

Gday Goodie!

”awesome” “club”

Whilst Lyon is often right in his opinion that Melbourne suck, and he clearly loves the club, the biggest issue I have is that he offers no remedy.  "Melbourne's skills are deplorable", "Melbourne get killed on turnover", "Melbourne are one way runners", etc etc.  It's the same commentary whether it's SEN Breakfast, On the Couch or Match day.  Tell us what needs to be done to fix it!!  What is your blueprint, Garry? 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Mattdees said:

2 hours ago, Mattdees said:

What did he achieve as captain 

2 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Yeah how dare a former captain of the club and team of the century player whose job it is to commentate say things about the club he played for. Worst thread ever.

What did Garry achieve as captain - not a lot more than our current team to be totally honest.  If anything Garry should be able to offer a much better insight into the performance of our team this season that a lot of commentators, because in his time as captain our team alternated between top four world beaters and bottom four cellar dwellers very much like our team has this season.

I agree that fair call for him to call out some of the things we are not doing right, but it did seem to drag on and on.  I do think it was reasonably well balanced with some praise for individual players like Fritta, Trac, May and a few others.  Listening to Cameron Ling last week was far worse IMHO, all Ling seemed to do was bag us from start to finish.

At the end of the day, I think it has a fair bit to do with the mental state that I'm in as a supporter.  To be honest, the longer the season has gone on, I've found my attitude to our performancesite to be more apathetic than at any time I recall as a supporter.  I don't think we are in as dire straights as a team going forward as our ladder position would suggest, but it's been getting harder to get enthused about us either when we haven't been able to recapture winning form in the back end of the season.  I'm at a point where whilst I do want to see us win, I'll be quite happy for this season to end and be done with it and I sense our players are pretty much in the same space too.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter

I really find this thread to be so disrespectful on lots of levels. Be great if this could be closed, why is Garry singled out? its a thread that is really just set up to pot an ex champ of the club.. but that seems pretty typical at the moment.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

What did Garry achieve as captain - not a lot more than our current team to be totally honest.  If anything Garry should be able to offer a much better insight into the performance of our team this season that a lot of commentators, because in his time as captain our team alternated between top four world beaters and bottom four cellar dwellers very much like our team has this season.

I agree that fair call for him to call out some of the things we are not doing right, but it did seem to drag on and on.  I do think it was reasonably well balanced with some praise for individual players like Fritta, Trac, May and a few others.  Listening to Cameron Ling last week was far worse IMHO, all Ling seemed to do was bag us from start to finish.

At the end of the day, I think it has a fair bit to do with the mental state that I'm in as a supporter.  To be honest, the longer the season has gone on, I've found my attitude to our performancesite to be more apathetic than at any time I recall as a supporter.  I don't think we are in as dire straights as a team going forward as our ladder position would suggest, but it's been getting harder to get enthused about us either when we haven't been able to recapture winning form in the back end of the season.  I'm at a point where whilst I do want to see us win, I'll be quite happy for this season to end and be done with it and I sense our players are pretty much in the same space too.

This club could only dream of having a captain like him at the moment. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Swooper1987 said:

Whilst Lyon is often right in his opinion that Melbourne suck, and he clearly loves the club, the biggest issue I have is that he offers no remedy.  "Melbourne's skills are deplorable", "Melbourne get killed on turnover", "Melbourne are one way runners", etc etc.  It's the same commentary whether it's SEN Breakfast, On the Couch or Match day.  Tell us what needs to be done to fix it!!  What is your blueprint, Garry? 

Its not his job. his job is to comment on the good or the bad. perhaps direct your anger towards the coaches in charge.

• Like 3

Lyon said nothing wrong, all he was doing is correctly commenting on areas we are failing in. And hot tip we are failing in a lot of areas.

Two that spring to mind are we cant score and we can't defend (We kept the pies to 70 points weee)

I don't agree he has to blindly barrack like the other morons in the media

34 minutes ago, Demon3 said:

Its not his job. his job is to comment on the good or the bad. perhaps direct your anger towards the coaches in charge.

No anger, just an observation. His comments are superfluous because we can all see what's wrong. The fact is, he gets good coin to state the obvious.  Good luck to him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Garry was spot on today. We should all be applauding him. He cares

some of our cream puff supporters just cannot handle reality. 

Jones and Viney should walk out tonight...

55 years of crap would suggest he’s on the money!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DemonOX said:

He will change his tune when we start playing afl level footy. We are a disgrace and a footy team with no skill which is pathetic. 

Lyon is probably frustrated like all of us hence his remarks. 

Pretty sums it up..  Nothing he said today was wrong about our team.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demon3 said:

I really find this thread to be so disrespectful on lots of levels. Be great if this could be closed, why is Garry singled out? its a thread that is really just set up to pot an ex champ of the club.. but that seems pretty typical at the moment.

Wait what? You don’t like what’s being said so close thread?

stop the internet people we have a difference of opinion

its not like someone is saying “I don’t believe in global warming [derpa I don’t believe in science n stuff” which totes should be banned ]