Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The calumny of the AFL's priority pick policy

olisik

1 hour ago, Jara said:

Boy, you've accepted the party line.

I couldn't care less about the 'national expansion" - I just want my team to win a bloody flag. The expansion teams snapping up the top picks at the same time as we were bottoming out is one of the (many) reasons we suck. 

Of course my number 1 is wanting to see the MFC win a flag, that goes without saying.

BUT I also love the game as a whole, i want to see an even competition, I want to see the game grow and succeed as the premier sporting comp in Australia (which it has/will).

We suck because we've had incompetent management, nothing to do with expansion teams raiding the draft. Other teams were down and out at the same time we were when the expansion teams entered and two of those, namely the Bulldogs and Tigers, have gone on to win flags.

The draft is a total lottery, I don't think it's going to hurt us tremendously (if at all) being bumped down one spot. The reigning Brownlow medallist was taken in the 20s, we had 4 picks before him and stuffed every one of them bar Scully. The more chances you get the more chances you get to get it right but I dont think having pick 3 instead of 2 will have any effect at all and if it does we weren't gonna win a flag with this group anyway.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The AFL has helped us along the way, we've had 3 round 1 priority picks plus an additional end of round 1 pick, we got extremely fair compe sation for Frawley when he left (and even Sylvia we probably got overs for), we've been bailed out financially and the AFL helped restructure our FD and get in Jackson and Roos

To cry poor like the AFL has just left us to dwell at the foot of the table is disingenuous.

I'm sorry but i bleed red and blue and only red and blue, i want what is best for my team, not any other team in the AFL.

Yes we have had help from the AFL, so has GC, they have had i don't know how many picks in the past few years, and now want more this year, they were a basket case last year why not ask for a pp then, Why this year?

Is it because it's good old Melbourne, lets slip one past them?

• Like 1

It's not a matter of 'we've had help'. We are the game, just as much as Hawthorn or Collingwood (arguably more so - we invented the bloody game)  Every time one of those teams steps out onto a field, they're benefiting from our past endeavours. We don't 'get help' - we are simply claiming a fair share of what's rightfully ours.

I just don't understand why things are structured so that we keep getting reamed and we do nothing about it. (I presume this PP to GC is going to be announced in the middle of Grand Final week, where it will be ignored). Who are these 'commissioners', or whatever they're called. Do any of them represent us?

Edited by Jara
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, deebug said:

How confident?

8/10

I think it is best for their careers they play for different Victorian teams.  Dees surely will dangle Pick 3 to the Suns and would seriously have to be considered by them.

What are the Saints going to give up next season? Can they offer more to the Suns then our Pick 3?

1 minute ago, Dee tention said:

8/10

I think it is best for their careers they play for different Victorian teams.  Dees surely will dangle Pick 3 to the Suns and would seriously have to be considered by them.

What are the Saints going to give up next season? Can they offer more to the Suns then our Pick 3?

Will be staying at the gc, just from trade radio.

3 hours ago, Demon3 said:

The MFC needs to make a stand on the field. 

Agreed but also off it D3.

If we stand for nothing at the top how do you think existing and prospective players are going to feel about the club in general and especially about joining it?  Conversely if we stand up and fight for ourselves top down that attitude / feel will likely have a strong trickle down effect.

That's why you need great people starting from the top down through all levels, including the FD and list.  A week / meek / mild club is hardly likely to inspire vs one that stands up for itself and flys the flag when needed.

2 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Agreed but also off it D3.

If we stand for nothing at the top how do you think existing and prospective players are going to feel about the club in general and especially about joining it?  Conversely if we stand up and fight for ourselves top down that attitude / feel will likely have a strong trickle down effect.

That's why you need great people starting from the top down through all levels, including the FD and list.  A week / meek / mild club is hardly likely to inspire vs one that stands up for itself and flys the flag when needed.

Not arguing with any of what you have written here RN, its all pretty much spot on, but should we have performed better this year on field, we wouldn't be talking about having to stand up for ourselves.

Respect is the true reward for Winning. We worked hard to get it in 2018, we threw it away in 2019.

• Like 1

The Suns were pushing the narrative that being granted PP2 would allow them to draft Rowell and Anderson together and help reduce the potential retention issues they'd otherwise have, which makes sense. 

with that in mind i think it's foolish that they could even be considering pick 2 for Brad Crouch. 

I really think the AFL needs to offer them pick 10 and allow them to get crouch, clearly the retention help is not as much of a priority as they claim.

• Love 1

5 hours ago, deebug said:

GC through clumps of $$$ to Ablett jr and IF, sorry not sure how to spell the guys name, the rugby player guy.

I believe it was Harmichael [censored], or something similar. (Arrr, damn - censoring ruins the joke)

Edited by Jara

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/09/24/gold-coast-made-one-of-the-greatest-mistakes-of-the-year-lyon/

I love this article.

• Delisted a clear best 22 player because they played him out of position and fitness testing showed he sucked at repeated sprints (prob the same guys who go this guy can jump a building or sprint faster than bolt, but hasn't played AFL = must recruit).
  • "The Suns made a number of poor choices last off-season, including one of the worst pick-swap trades of all-time":

• A trading of future first-round picks, again with Brisbane, has backfired enormously, with them essentially exchanging pick 17 for pick 19 in 2018, as well as picks 19 and 42 this year.

• trading pick two for Lachie Weller back in 2017.

• Add in I Rankine (pick 3) hasn't played a game from the year before's draft.

But

They will likely receive pick two as a compensation pick in this year’s draft, despite these constant mistakes.

#norules #whateversuitstheAFL #wehaveaformula

Laughable, but i do understand the rationale, it just doesn't pass the [censored] meter. Come out and say, they have made some mistakes and the AFL needs them to get better quickly or they will cease to exist. As a result we are giving them overkill compensation to make them competitive.

E.g.picks 2, 10, 21,22 and 23 if they want. Why not give them a mini draft option like GWS had and they never had? A lot of talent incoming in a small period of time at least would put them in a strong position for draft picks year on year like GWS seem to have - they lose a star and get great picks in return etc.. I hope they keep both picks for the top 2 as expected and get crouch in for later picks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, deebug said:

I'm sorry but i bleed red and blue and only red and blue, i want what is best for my team, not any other team in the AFL.

Yes we have had help from the AFL, so has GC, they have had i don't know how many picks in the past few years, and now want more this year, they were a basket case last year why not ask for a pp then, Why this year?

Is it because it's good old Melbourne, lets slip one past them?

5 hours ago, Jara said:

It's not a matter of 'we've had help'. We are the game, just as much as Hawthorn or Collingwood (arguably more so - we invented the bloody game)  Every time one of those teams steps out onto a field, they're benefiting from our past endeavours. We don't 'get help' - we are simply claiming a fair share of what's rightfully ours.

I just don't understand why things are structured so that we keep getting reamed and we do nothing about it. (I presume this PP to GC is going to be announced in the middle of Grand Final week, where it will be ignored). Who are these 'commissioners', or whatever they're called. Do any of them represent us?

We're not getting "reamed". We're being bumped down one spot in the draft. Every other club, in particular clubs like Saints and North, could be as easily aggrieved as us. Quit with the persecution complex, it's unbecoming.

How much of a difference do you really think it will make if we have pick 2 or 3? Have you guys learnt nothing from the past 15 years of praying for salvation through draft picks?

• Like 3

On 9/24/2019 at 1:50 PM, Skin Deeamond said:

Let them perish. It’s a dumb idea. Two teams in a Rugby League state. The AFL is run by money hungry morons who are wrecking the game. Next we’ll have a team based in China or Sierra Leone.

There's an excellent article from Chip Le Grand in today's Age which explains why expansion into western Sydney has been so important to the AFL, and, by extension, the poorer clubs such as ours. A second team in Queensland won't provide the same benefits (even if it were ever to be successful) but the principle is the same. In short, the AFL would eventually wither away if it didn't pursue a north-of-the-Murray strategy. 

The consistent failure of the MFC to be successful is unrelated to national expansion. We were dreadful from 1965 to 1986 when it was still a 12 team competition and all because of poor back-of-house administration. If we want to succeed, we have to stop blaming the AFL Commission, Gillon McLachlan, the umpires, the media, the poker machines and betting companies, and recognise that success comes from within.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

We can walk and chew gum at the same time. Pushing to maximize our options at the draft table is one of the things a strong administration should be doing. 

Of course i know the draft isn't a panacea but it can help - just look at Hawthorn 15 years ago.

i suspect our main trouble is the lack of a home base. 

Did i read this right?  Somebody said here recently that we haven't had a Rising Star nomination for three years. If that's the case...jeez. ..

The AFL will officially announce their rescue package for the Gold Coast Suns as early as Monday, with a priority pick at its core.

The package will give the Suns access to the second pick in this year’s draft, with the club already securing the first pick courtesy of their wooden spoon finish.

Damien Barrett told Trade Radio the latest the deal would be announced was Tuesday.

Gold Coast Suns priority pick: AFL to officially announce Gold Coast rescue package in next 48 hours

Well not likes its a great surprise now.

With pick 2 I was huge on Noah Anderson. But now that we've dropped out of that race I would be looking to split the pick to Giants first two picks and maybe a player in Xavier O' Hallaran or Jye Caldwell.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Well not likes its a great surprise now.

With pick 2 I was huge on Noah Anderson. But now that we've dropped out of that race I would be looking to split the pick to Giants first two picks and maybe a player in Xavier O' Hallaran or Jye Caldwell.

Just a hunch, but I reckon looking at the amount of spots we'll need to fill compared to our number of draft picks, the plan was always going to be split the pick in some way. Especially seeing it seems likely we miss out on Elliot.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Just a hunch, but I reckon looking at the amount of spots we'll need to fill compared to our number of draft picks, the plan was always going to be split the pick in some way. Especially seeing it seems likely we miss out on Elliot.

I've got a feeling the AFL might have given the club an inside tip.

We know what the GC got out of that meeting with Gil, will be interesting to see what we get.

Official. Gold Coast gets:

•Pick #1 and first pick of the second round (currently pick #20) in the 2019 NAB AFL Draft.

•Mid-first round pick (currently pick #11) in the 2020 NAB AFL Draft.

•First pick of the second round (currently pick #19) in the 2021 NAB AFL Draft.

• Like 1