Jump to content

  • Podcast: Draft Wrap Up w/Jason Taylor  

Sign in to follow this  
McQueen

The Ashes - 2019

Recommended Posts

Labuschagne to apparently replace Smith with regards to the concussion protocol.  Becomes a full member of the eleven under the new rules (to an immediate effect)

Steve Smith complained of headaches this morning upon waking up.  Hope the lad is ok.  It was a nasty hit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Macca said:

Labuschagne to apparently replace Smith with regards to the concussion protocol.  Becomes a full member of the eleven under the new rules (to an immediate effect)

Steve Smith complained of headaches this morning upon waking up.  Hope the lad is ok.  It was a nasty hit.

I really hope hes getting the best medical care available. Im quite worried about him. There can be ongoing complications from a blow like that. I dont think he will play in the next match either.

I saw Archer interviewed before the game. I was quite impressed. He was humble and quite appologetic and said nobody wants to see people carried off. He also referred to the Hughes incident.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

I really hope hes getting the best medical care available. Im quite worried about him. There can be ongoing complications from a blow like that. I dont think he will play in the next match either.

I saw Archer interviewed before the game. I was quite impressed. He was humble and quite appologetic and said nobody wants to see people carried off. He also referred to the Hughes incident.

Yes ... better to err on the side of caution Wadda.  The 3rd Test starts on Thursday so the turnaround time is short too.  Smith should be getting at least a 2nd medical opinion (which would probably happen anyway) He might end up needing an extended time on the sidelines.

It was a nasty blow and when he hit the deck I was really concerned.  And that neck area still isn't protected well enough for my liking.  Certain fast bowlers can be hard to pick up - Johnson & Archer are 2 such types.  So the batsmen need proper head & neck protection.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Macca said:

Yes ... better to err on the side of caution Wadda.  The 3rd Test starts on Thursday so the turnaround time is short too.  Smith should be getting at least a 2nd medical opinion (which would probably happen anyway) He might end up needing an extended time on the sidelines.

It was a nasty blow and when he hit the deck I was really concerned.  And that neck area still isn't protected well enough for my liking.  Certain fast bowlers can be hard to pick up - Johnson & Archer are 2 such types.  So the batsmen need proper head & neck protection.

Yes exactly Macca, i was thinking afl and its at least a week mandatory. You just couldnt expose all his bruises so quickly.

There are helmets with that area protected, but apparently Smith wont wear one as he doesnt feel comfortable so im told....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am devastated about Smith. He is a joy to watch and his off beat body movements are very funny. I think now is the time for Warner to step up and show why he is in the test squad. I have faith in Head abd Wade but not much for any other batsmen in the side.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, dl4e said:

I am devastated about Smith. He is a joy to watch and his off beat body movements are very funny. I think now is the time for Warner to step up and show why he is in the test squad. I have faith in Head abd Wade but not much for any other batsmen in the side.

Yes im the same dl, i hate to see a hero cut down. Lets hope for a swift recovery

Edited by Wadda We Sing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.....and as for all this booing about a match that wasnt even played against England.....they have been done for ball tampering at least 3 times in recent history, Atherton in 1994 against South Africa and Marcus Trescothick in the 2005 Ashes series. Atherton was found to have dirt in his pocket that he applied to the ball, was fined 2000 pounds and it was further found he lied to the match committee. Trescothick admitted in his book released 3 years after the series to using sweets that kept the shine on the ball longer and produced the swing we saw in that series which England won 2-1.

Stuart Broad and Jimmy Anderson were found to have used their boot spikes to scratch the ball in a game against South Africa in a test in 2010. Although South Africa complained, no charges were laid mainly because South Africa won by a big margin.

........so they can shut up.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I really think England can win this now. Lets hope not.

Warner is just having a mare....feel for him a bit, just doesnt even look confident.

Edited by Wadda We Sing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

I really think England can win this now. Lets hope not.

Warner is just having a mare....feel for him a bit, just doesnt even look confident.

Lets hope our batsman can hang tough. Oh no now khawaja is out. Warner has to be dropped. Bring Harris in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, dl4e said:

Lets hope our batsman can hang tough. Oh no now khawaja is out. Warner has to be dropped. Bring Harris in.

Far out....this Archer guy. Hes gonna kill someone......

Labuschagne hasnt got a clue against this bowling....

Edited by Wadda We Sing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3-47....37 overs to go....we are in trouble here.

They never wanted to chase the runs which i always think is a mistake. Having said that the bowling was too good and they went into their shells from the outset.

Edited by Wadda We Sing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Incredible catch by Denly, crazy shot by Paine. After a near hatrick by Leech,  7 overs to go... 6-149.

Labuschagnes batting saved the day early and a great comeback after a rough start and getting hit by Archer several times.  Cliffhanger.

Bad light meant Archer had to stop bowling and spin only was allowed.

EDIT: Draw.

Edited by Wadda We Sing
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Typical classy display by the Poms:

1) Captain a cheat

2) Stealing players from the Colonies to pump up their own pathetic ranks

3) Booing a guy when he's on the ground with a possible broken neck

 

They'll be a Third-world country by the time Bojo's finished with them. Good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Smith has been ruled out of the 3rd Test

It will be interesting to see what line-up we go with.  Does Starc get a game?

And what about Harris?  Labuschagne looks likely to replace Smith but do they go with the same top 3 where the 12 completed innings reads as 8,  2,  13,  7,  8,  40,  13,  3,  36,  16,  5 & 2.  Looks a lot like my typical batting season at suburban level (I was a bowler!)

12 completed innings for a total of 153 runs at an average of 12.75.  Warner,  Bancroft & Khawaja are just not contributing. 

And with Archer up and firing I'm not hopeful.  Is Burns still over there? 

Renshaw has the technique to face up to a bowler like Archer but he seems to be out of the picture (for some reason)

Edited by Macca
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2019 at 9:01 PM, Macca said:

Smith has been ruled out of the 3rd Test

It will be interesting to see what line-up we go with.  Does Starc get a game?

And what about Harris?  Labuschagne looks likely to replace Smith but do they go with the same top 3 where the 12 completed innings reads as 8,  2,  13,  7,  8,  40,  13,  3,  36,  16,  5 & 2.  Looks a lot like my typical batting season at suburban level (I was a bowler!)

12 completed innings for a total of 153 runs at an average of 12.75.  Warner,  Bancroft & Khawaja are just not contributing. 

And with Archer up and firing I'm not hopeful.  Is Burns still over there? 

Renshaw has the technique to face up to a bowler like Archer but he seems to be out of the picture (for some reason)

Incredible figures Macca, maybe shoot an email to Rod Marsh !

Seriously average. The word is Warner will stay, but may have been dropped down the order to 5 if Smith was playing. Probably not a bad idea anyway. I believe Marcus harris can open and that could be plan b if Warner or Boocroft fail again, the latter getting the nod over harris because of his superior fielding. If Stark doesnt play in this game, its hard to see him getting in the team. He got 10 wickets in his last test so it hard to understand. But at least the side has great depth if there is an injury. Dont even get me started on Roots catch. A man under pressure, that was clear.

We are certainly in for another exciting game and some of the team are really going to have to stand up in Smiths absence. Lets hope hes right to go for the 4th test. We only have to win 1 more game to retain The Ashes.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Just checked the Headingley weather forecast. 26 degrees each day and no rain.

I suspect it will be a green wicket for day 1at most and then dry out with spin and variable bounce on day 5.

Interesting decision as to whether to bat or bowl if we win the toss.

An interesting piece of trivia..

Only two of the last five Ashes series in England have featured Leeds Tests; on both occasions the team that won at Headingley lost the series – England in 2001 and Australia in 2009.

https://www.cricket365.com/pitch-report/pitch-report-2019-ashes-series-headingley-leeds/

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So much for that weather forecast of 26 each day.

England win the toss and put us in.

Big first session if and when it starts

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

So much for that weather forecast of 26 each day.

England win the toss and put us in.

Big first session if and when it starts

Roots gone Archer happy. He might lose this series all on his own. The wet ground should take the sting out of the ball. If we can get through to stumps and no Smith, that will put England right on the back foot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Roots gone Archer happy. He might lose this series all on his own. The wet ground should take the sting out of the ball. If we can get through to stumps and no Smith, that will put England right on the back foot.

hope so

not a great start but it could have been worse...Warner not looking comfortable

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

hope so

not a great start but it could have been worse...Warner not looking comfortable

I think out of the 12 balls he faced, he missed about 7 of them. Ive never seen a batsman so badly out of form and not even looking like he can get out of the slump. Harris wasnt much better. Oh well, looks like the rain has come now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good fightback by Warner now i said that. Kid Charlemagne going ok as well, like his style very relaxed. Archer is looking like nothing on this pitch after the initial few overs, was hoping that would be the case. These 2 starting to look a bit settled. Should be a fascinating next few hours.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well what a disaster. How lucky were we that Dave Warner decided to YouTube how to bat at the breaks on his laptop. A great fight from him and Charlemagne. I went to bed when they were in so all ive seen is the score...looks like the rest of the team barely scored 50 between them........i bet its sunny and a dead wicket today.

Edited by Wadda We Sing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Well what a disaster. How lucky were we that Dave Warner decided to YouTube how to bat at the breaks on his laptop. A great fight from him and Charlemagne. I went to bed when they were in so all ive seen is the score...looks like the rest of the team barely scored 50 between them........i bet its sunny and a dead wicket today.

We can't let 'em get more than about 250 - 260 Wadda.  And yep,  the sun is out and the wicket might be bat friendly.  Need one of our paceman to get a 5 wicket haul.

Love the nickname for Labuschagne too.  A demonland special.  'Kid Charlemagne'

Looks a player of the future.  Nice technique and good temperament.  Need a few more.  I'm a Renshaw fan for the same reason and hopefully,  he'll get another opportunity down the track.

Edit:  2 for 10 with Hazlewood & Cummins both bowling very well.  Good start.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great first hour for the Aussies. Would be nice to have England 5 for at lunch.

PS and now 4 for .. yeahhhhh

Must say Labuschagne reminds me of this golden oldie....

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Reckon I prefer something a bit more contemporary @Diamond_Jim  for Marnus Labuschagne

Dubbed 'Kid Charlemagne' by Wadda

(Circa 1976!)

 

Edited by Macca
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...