Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Ashes - 2019

McQueen

Theyre bowling 100% better than yesterday, theres been about 6 chances so far and we could easily be a few more down. I think were pretty lucky its only 1 really. Can Smith get another century, im on the edge of my seat.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Another cheap wicket

Wade needs a 50 at least

If our lefties get their front foot at the trajectory of the delivery (around the wicket by Broad)  they take the LBW out because it hits them outside the line

Playing from.the crease is asking for trouble.  Batting 101.  I know Broad isn't exactly pedestrian but our lefties don't play him well. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Theyre bowling 100% better than yesterday, theres been about 6 chances so far and we could easily be a few more down. I think were pretty lucky its only 1 really. Can Smith get another century, im on the edge of my seat.

Drinks and we've lost just the 1 wicket Wadda ... I'm looking at the clock rather than the run count. 

The longer we're out there,  the less chance we have of losing the match.  And there will be more rain.  An ideal scenario sees us attacking from safe ground.  

As expected,  they've dried up the run supply (somewhat) but we still scored 44 runs (13 overs) in that hour. 

• Like 1

Just now, Diamond_Jim said:

Bye bye Wade

what a dumb shot

Yep.  Poor shot by Wade ... he had to bat for the team and for the partnership.  Amateurish.

Could be really costly too. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Well done Steve Smith absolute legend.

On the bit and never out of 3rd gear Wadda

The bloke is on another sphere right now.  Just incredible how he makes it look so easy.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Macca said:

After lunch we might see a bit more rain ... 14° being the expected top temperature.  Footy weather!

And they might decide to put the brakes on our scoring in this pre-lunch session.  We are scoring at just under 4 runs per over but I'd take 3 an over whilst only losing 2 wickets (not Smith either!) In this session.

That would take us through to about 5 - 260.  We don't want to be 7 down with Smith gone. 

5-245 ......Can i borrow your crystal ball for my BBs this week Macca ! :)

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

5-245 ......Can i borrow your crystal ball for my BBs this week Macca ! :)

Should be 4 down only though.  Wade had to get through to lunch.  We need a few more 'Kid Charlemagne' types.

They don't have to classical A graders either.  Just players with great temperament & fighting qualities.  Matt Renshaw,  Will Pucovski,  Kurtis Patterson & Alex Carey are the future. 

I would be playing them sooner rather than later.  All 4 have got a bit of class about them too.  And they're young and ambitious.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

We should start to score in this session. Another 100 shouldnt be out of the question with a few heavy hitters to come. If Smith can stay and be the leader, that should do it.

Yep ... Starc & Cummins can get 20 each Wadda.  Even Lyon can be hard to dislodge. 

Paine should cash in after being dropped.  A good player would make them pay. 

Archer has not been a factor which is a surprise.  I was expected fireworks. 

And now Smith goes close to holing out. Chancing our arm? 

• Like 1

Best session for Australia,,,

yes on reflection we had the luck

A double hundred for Smith and a possible 100 for Paine and then England two wickets down at stumps.

Goes some way to softening the memory of that last test.

Heading for a draw unless the Australian bowlers can pull off something special.

Imagine if the openers had done their job with say a 90 stand

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Best session for Australia,,,

yes on reflection we had the luck

A double hundred for Smith and a possible 100 for Paine and then England two wickets down at stumps.

Goes some way to softening the memory of that last test.

Heading for a draw unless the Australian bowlers can pull off something special.

Imagine if the openers had done their job with say a 90 stand

Would be nice to see Smith stay not out here. Apart from putting his average against England to around 200, it would really stick it up em. We could still get 420+

I dont think it will be a draw with Lyon on this pitch. They have to bat last and we might only need 150 in our second innings.....dont forget they made 67 in the last game. Their confidence is down.

There is the weather tho i guess.....

Edited by Wadda We Sing
  • Like 2

We should be able to push for victory now.  Still got to get another 19 wickets but at least we can't lose the game now. 

If England were to score 300 they'd still be 200 behind.  And if we bat again there won't be any generous declaration. 

We hold all the cards and just have to bowl & field well and the Ashes are there for the taking.

We've fought back exceptionally well after the 3rd test loss. 

Smith is a freak and even the luck is on his side.  He can't put a foot wrong.  Excellent support by Paine,  Starc & Lyon too. 

• Like 4

I don't like Steve Smith, I love him!

Note to the Pommy Booers.  If you walk through his world you better show him some respect.

Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Steve Smith, Smudge!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, Macca said:

Excellent support by Paine,  Starc & Lyon too. 

Agree, on Paine.  I'm glad he made runs, technically he looks the best of all the batsmen, he just doesn't make runs consistently.   The Aussie tail can usually be counted on for at least another 50-80 runs.  I like Paine's captaincy (except when it comes to DRS), he makes good field placements and backs his bowlers in, he's calm and measured and he has personally taken a lot of the spite and arrogance out of the way we play.

A lot was made of the issue of momentum and recent Ashes history over there, but the team has walked the walk.  The Poms have been extremely lucky not to be three nil down in this series and the Aussie team know that the Poms can't keep riding that luck and getting away with it.  

We just need to bowl well now.  I'm glad that they picked Starc, just get him to bowl 25 overs to create some footmarks for Lyon to bowl into.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Interesting article here on Paine. The author makes the point that we have been swayed by the success of Gilchrist who was an outlier whereas Paine's test average sits rather well with other Australian wicket keepers.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2019/sep/05/australia-tim-paine-peeling-tons-valuable-ashes-asset

"Australia cricket followers were spoiled by Adam Gilchrist, who was on another statistical planet with his 17 Test centuries and an average that for most of his career topped 50. Since then every wicketkeeper is expected to match the best batsmen and plenty of batsmen around the world have been pushed into keeping wicket.

But look at the history and that is not how it works. Put Gilchrist aside and the next best average for an Australia wicketkeeper is Brad Haddin’s 32.98. Paine sits one run behind him. They are the only two to average more than 30. For a long time keepers did not even average more than 20. Ian Healy and Rod Marsh may have combined for seven centuries but they took 215 Tests to do so, while both averaged less than 28. Those five plus the Bradman-era Bert Oldfield are the only Australia keepers to make more than a thousand runs."

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 3

Ovaltine the nightwatchman played quite well last night, he will be our first target when play resumes. It looks like it wont be too much longer and lets hope for an uninterrupted day. Starc was pretty wayward after his swashbuckling 50, lets hope hes a bit more on target this morning. Might be a bit of movement early with the weather.

• Like 1