Sign in to follow this  
SFebes

Glen Bartlett speaks

3 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

He’s a paid employee of the club, we’re lifelong supporters of the club. There’s going to be a difference in emotions. 

True, but I’m glad the board don’t act like supporters or follow the reactive and emotional advice of some 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

He’s a paid employee of the club, we’re lifelong supporters of the club. There’s going to be a difference in emotions. 

I don't believe the President or board members get paid. They all have other jobs. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Does anyone know for sure as I thought board roles were unpaid.

Posted (edited)

Yes sorry you’re right, Presidents aren’t paid, however my point still stands. Most of us are lifelong supporters of a single club who make decisions or comments based on emotion. Not all Presidents, coaches, employee etc support (or originally supported) the club they’re appointed to. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay

5 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Yes sorry you’re right, Presidents aren’t paid, however my point still stands. Most of us are lifelong supporters of a single club who make decisions or comments based on emotion. Not all Presidents, coaches, employee etc support (or originally supported) the club they’re appointed to. 

ET would you rather a Bartlett type or a Kennett/Koch type president who are emotional in how they react.

1 hour ago, Cards13 said:

ET would you rather a Bartlett type or a Kennett/Koch type president who are emotional in how they react.

Bartlett. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Ethan, The President  and the Directors are not paid a cent. They are volunteers and they put in thousands of hours of their time,  and deal with serious issues, have to be avilable to deal with everything that I suspect we dont get to see, and have comentary thrown their way in the public, either in the  press or online, while doing their day jobs as well. Your point re about being a supporter of one club and therefore your pain and frustration is some how more legitimate than the board, coaches etc. becasue I suspect you are refering to the fact that some may have no been life members or played for other clubs, proir to taking on their current roles does not stack up. Why ! I suspect including the President was a supporter and member of MFC before he took on the role, you have board directors who have been life long members and your argument is rediculious, why!! you conveniently left out the players. Some of our players have come from other clubs and that goes for all the clubs in the code. Further, At work, does an organisation  breed its own kind from birth,  then hold them hostage all their lives so people cant move from organisation to organsiation, growing and learning and devloping their minds and experience.

8 hours ago, KLV said:

True, but I’m glad the board don’t act like supporters or follow the reactive and emotional advice of some 

Presidents and Board members of all clubs  in the AFL are not paid, they are volunteers - paid not one cent 

12 hours ago, Jaded said:

What have they done wrong since taking office, other than break membership records, turn a profit and bring on multiple sponsors? 

The job of the board is to make the club a successful business. I think they’ve done that. 

Nice comeback with facts Jaded.

Well done (sincerely)

14 hours ago, Jaded said:

What have they done wrong since taking office, other than break membership records, turn a profit and bring on multiple sponsors? 

The job of the board is to make the club a successful business. I think they’ve done that. 

Not disagreeing with you here but who's job is it to achieve all the things you've listed. CEO or the Board? I assume that it is the board that appoints the CEO and assigns KPIs that they have to meet so I guess the buck stops with the board. Who appointed Jackson? AFL or the board? I also assume that the board can also be influential in getting sponsors aboard due to business connections and the like.

I also don't blame the board for any of the reasons why we have performed so poorly this year. I do however expect them to demand answers and review this year and not just write it off as an anomaly. If little or nothing is done or appears to be done and we are cellar dwellers again next year then the heat will be on the board too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

Having watched the Bartlett podcast, it appears we are not far from announcing our future admin/FD home.

Bartlett was grinning like a Cheshire Cat when the topic was broached and basically told the members to watch this space.

I think we are close to getting approval for the new site.

• Like 2

Really liked his interview. Didn't want to make excuses and we have seem efforts to change things up like the coaching structure mid year which is essentially a opportunity for test and learn before we re launch next season.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Having watched the Bartlett podcast, it appears we are not far from announcing our future admin/FD home.

Bartlett was grinning like a Cheshire Cat when the topic was broached and basically told the members to watch this space.

I think we are close to getting approval for the new site.

Watch this space means a new home by 2030

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, don't make me angry said:

Watch this space means a new home by 2030

MFCSS is just thhaaaaa best!

16 hours ago, Jaded said:

Actually...NO

The job of the board is to facilitate a Successful CLUB. The litmus of a successful club strangely enough ...is....success and sustainability.

To provide this they install suitable personnel. As to business it falls upon the CFO and ultimately the CEO to keep the ship above water and heading the right course. As to the seemingly relegated duty of on field success the Football manager is in charge here.

The Job of the Board is to oversee and provide direction and review. The job of paid folk is to manage and do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beelzebub said:

Actually...NO

The job of the board is to facilitate a Successful CLUB. The litmus of a successful club strangely enough ...is....success and sustainability.

To provide this they install suitable personnel. As to business it falls upon the CFO and ultimately the CEO to keep the ship above water and heading the right course. As to the seemingly relegated duty of on field success the Football manager is in charge here.

The Job of the Board is to oversee and provide direction and review. The job of paid folk is to manage and do.

They have done all that. They appointed Jackson and signed off on Roos. They are clearly looking into our drop off in form, and just because they are not doing it by screaming about every tiny things publicly, doesn’t mean things aren’t being done. 

For the first time in 2 decades this club is financially viable. Who cares if we perform on the field if we can’t pay to keep the lights on off the field? We were on the brink of financial collapse and we’re now in a healthy position even without the damn pokies. And it sounds like a home base is closer than we think, which is in itself a massive achievement. 

The board oversee key appointments but ultimately I have no reason to blame them for our [censored] season. They aren’t there to coach, train or kick the goals. They are governing the club off the field and doing a good job. No leaks, no dummy spits, no drama. 

Hard to be [censored] off with them after one backwards season on the field since they’ve been put in charge. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jaded said:

They have done all that. They appointed Jackson and signed off on Roos. They are clearly looking into our drop off in form, and just because they are not doing it by screaming about every tiny things publicly, doesn’t mean things aren’t being done. 

For the first time in 2 decades this club is financially viable. Who cares if we perform on the field if we can’t pay to keep the lights on off the field? We were on the brink of financial collapse and we’re now in a healthy position even without the damn pokies. And it sounds like a home base is closer than we think, which is in itself a massive achievement. 

The board oversee key appointments but ultimately I have no reason to blame them for our [censored] season. They aren’t there to coach, train or kick the goals. They are governing the club off the field and doing a good job. No leaks, no dummy spits, no drama. 

Hard to be [censored] off with them after one backwards season on the field since they’ve been put in charge. 

Interesting you raise the pokies. I do not understand our investment in the Bentleigh Club. Can anyone shed some light on the details.

1 hour ago, Jaded said:

I was simply pointing out a difference  of opinion as to what the Board actually  does. I dont agree with your take.

Posted (edited)

Presidents and board members might not get paid but labeling them as altruistic or volunteers is laughable. These roles are prime status and social climbing boosting positions that open up many doors to high society, politics and business as well as ego massaging. Many but not all are in it for what they can get for themselves directly or indirectly. Most find the experience very profitable. You are not likely to see Joe the plumber, Nancy the nurse or a Joffa in one of these roles.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, —coach— said:

Any chance you can give us a little more info here? Or any articles online over the past few years that might hint at some of those options? For example:  https://www.austadiums.com/news/news.php?id=649 , wonder if we can tie something in with the southern stand redevelopment that will eventually have to occur.

Not really, assumed it was bordering the current ground. Most of my questions were about on field.....why so crap this year. Much pointed to small things adding up....but highlighted we wanted May and Lever ALOT due to defence weaknesses, and they hadn't played at all, and we were weak on the WINGS and had plans for VDB and KK as first choice wingers this season.....that didn't pan out!

• Thanks 2