Jump to content
  • Demonland Interviews

Sign in to follow this  
SFebes

Glen Bartlett speaks

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, Older demon said:

I heard Viney on SEN this morning and in between the ummms and errs he was asked about skills and such. I was surprised but on reflection i agree that the issues were there last year. He stated that we made the 8 and continued a good late season run but the clangers weren't as obvious with a full list. He gave the impression the club was well aware of its limitations this area. This year they stick out again but with a lesser team, little or no confidence they are huge.

It would be worth looking back last year at our kicking efficiency and clanger count. Remember the games we weren't supposed to drop in 18 and the deplorable game in the prelim. I can see that this is not a sudden drop in footy skills which doesn't bode well for next season unless the fitness guru is a kicking (field & goal) and handball hitting targets guru. Or move on and trade out those who simply cannot hit a target

Viney is a poor media performer.  Says nothing!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Viney on SEN today said our skills are about where they were last year. He does not have the answers to the drop off or any great insight. It was a perfect opportunity to say collectively we need to do this or that better, but, alas. He like everyone else is waiting for a review at end of season.

He also talked about, " his missus' embarrassing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Older demon said:

I heard Viney on SEN this morning and in between the ummms and errs he was asked about skills and such. I was surprised but on reflection i agree that the issues were there last year. He stated that we made the 8 and continued a good late season run but the clangers weren't as obvious with a full list. He gave the impression the club was well aware of its limitations this area. This year they stick out again but with a lesser team, little or no confidence they are huge.

It would be worth looking back last year at our kicking efficiency and clanger count. Remember the games we weren't supposed to drop in 18 and the deplorable game in the prelim. I can see that this is not a sudden drop in footy skills which doesn't bode well for next season unless the fitness guru is a kicking (field & goal) and handball hitting targets guru. Or move on and trade out those who simply cannot hit a target

If the club was well aware of the poor skills and limitations what measures with regards to recruits did they make to rectify it? Zilch. They all drank their own bathwater 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I hope you are right Chook. The main bit that worries me right now, is our skills are shocking early in the game and late. 

Maybe Misson has taken his finger off the pulse, even 1-2%, as he is leaving. 

It happens, when i decided to leave my job of many years, once the decision was made i wanted to go. It was old news. 

We will know fairly soon...

It will be a huge job to sell Memberships though...

Our skills are definitely a lot worse at the end of games than the start.  The stats tell us that.  But people that have been around footy a long time, and played when skills were not just valued but practiced, must be pulling their hair out at our poor disposal.  I think Bartlett would be one of these.  A quick check of his WAFL record shows he was a defender who went forward and converted at 77%.  Maybe he should go down to training and show a few of the forwards how to do it 

http://waflfootyfacts.net/player/stats.php?PlayerID=327

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Sorry kids said:

Viney on SEN today said our skills are about where they were last year. He does not have the answers to the drop off or any great insight. It was a perfect opportunity to say collectively we need to do this or that better, but, alas. He like everyone else is waiting for a review at end of season.

He also talked about, " his missus' embarrassing. 

Fair play @Sorry kidsin talking about his missus - he's speaking the language of most listeners....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Watson11 said:

Our skills are definitely a lot worse at the end of games than the start.  The stats tell us that.  But people that have been around footy a long time, and played when skills were not just valued but practiced, must be pulling their hair out at our poor disposal.  I think Bartlett would be one of these.  A quick check of his WAFL record shows he was a defender who went forward and converted at 77%.  Maybe he should go down to training and show a few of the forwards how to do it 

http://waflfootyfacts.net/player/stats.php?PlayerID=327

Our goal kicking skills in the 1st Quarters this year have been terrible most weeks. 

77% is pretty dam good. We should all be demanding better. 

Goal Kicking should be Number one priority. Goals = 6 points everytime. 

It’s like having a fantastic Hifi System with cheap speakers. It will always sound cheap, no matter what you do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is not there to speak the language of SEN listeners. He is there to represent the Club. Lead and they will follow. Not the other way around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Our goal kicking skills in the 1st Quarters this year have been terrible most weeks. 

77% is pretty dam good. We should all be demanding better. 

Goal Kicking should be Number one priority. Goals = 6 points everytime. 

It’s like having a fantastic Hifi System with cheap speakers. It will always sound cheap, no matter what you do. 

The other part of our poor skills related to fitness is our players just don’t work hard enough forward of the ball for long enough.  Trying to pinpoint a pass into a zone is a lot different to crossing to a player that has worked hard to get a 15m break on his opponent.  I’ve noticed we find it hard to get out of our defensive 50 the longer the game goes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Watson11 said:

The other part of our poor skills related to fitness is our players just don’t work hard enough forward of the ball for long enough.  Trying to pinpoint a pass into a zone is a lot different to crossing to a player that has worked hard to get a 15m break on his opponent.  I’ve noticed we find it hard to get out of our defensive 50 the longer the game goes.

Absolutely. How often do MFC players run to Position or advantage, Forward or Back. 

Drives me insane. TV’s have almost been broken. It seems to never be addressed..!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Redleg said:

I thought there was no bath water left, as some posters said our players had drunk it all.

 

I think our biggest problem is that our supporters and the media drank too much of it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ding said:

The one time in this interview where Bartlett had to suppress a smile was when he was questioned about a permanent home base.

Im not confident about much right now when talking about the MFC, but i reckon they are all over this.

I had a chance recently to spend 20mins asking one of our senior exec questions about this year. Including the home base, seems there are 4 live options all around Goschs Paddock. He was very confident.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s gone from no review is necessary to every aspect of the club will be closely examined. FMD the bloke should be in politics.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, 1964nowMORE said:

I had a chance recently to spend 20mins asking one of our senior exec questions about this year. Including the home base, seems there are 4 live options all around Goschs Paddock. He was very confident.

Brilliant news. If nothing else comes of this year, a home to call our own would make this shocking season much more palatable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

He’s gone from no review is necessary to every aspect of the club will be closely examined. FMD the bloke should be in politics.

You’re stretching it here Chook. He previously said no external review is needed and that the club reviews things constantly ie the mid season coaching changes... maybe you should work in politics.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The main thing I took out of it was re a home base... seemed confident of a solution. Fingers crossed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1964nowMORE said:

I had a chance recently to spend 20mins asking one of our senior exec questions about this year. Including the home base, seems there are 4 live options all around Goschs Paddock. He was very confident.

Any chance you can give us a little more info here? Or any articles online over the past few years that might hint at some of those options? For example:  https://www.austadiums.com/news/news.php?id=649 , wonder if we can tie something in with the southern stand redevelopment that will eventually have to occur.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought he spoke very well and I have every confidence in him. This board has not put a foot wrong thus far and I back them in until evidence suggests otherwise. 

Just because our president isn’t a big loudmouth in the media, doesn’t mean he isn’t working hard. It sounds like a lot is being done behind closed doors. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I thought he spoke very well and I have every confidence in him. This board has not put a foot wrong thus far and I back them in until evidence suggests otherwise. 

Just because our president isn’t a big loudmouth in the media, doesn’t mean he isn’t working hard. It sounds like a lot is being done behind closed doors. 

What period of time are you referering to in saying they have not put a foot wrong jaded.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sorry kids said:

What period of time are you referering to in saying they have not put a foot wrong jaded.

What have they done wrong since taking office, other than break membership records, turn a profit and bring on multiple sponsors? 

The job of the board is to make the club a successful business. I think they’ve done that. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jaded said:

What have they done wrong since taking office, other than break membership records, turn a profit and bring on multiple sponsors? 

The job of the board is to make the club a successful business. I think they’ve done that. 

Except for the core operations being a complete failure bit

But otherwise yes, you're right

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jaded said:

What have they done wrong since taking office, other than break membership records, turn a profit and bring on multiple sponsors? 

The job of the board is to make the club a successful business. I think they’ve done that. 

I just asked what period of time you were refering to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bartlett, In response to our poor performance and the position we now find ourselves in, quote: “we are not going to be reactive and emotional “

unlike demonland 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, Bartlett “the team needs the support of members and fans now more than ever”

it’s easy to rock up when we’re winning (90K at the G in 2 finals last year), not easy, but more important to get there when things are going badly.

lots on here vowing not to buy memberships next year, equally I know (like me and my scarred kids), turned up week after week during those long dark days. 

Keep the faith and be strong!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, KLV said:

Bartlett, In response to our poor performance and the position we now find ourselves in, quote: “we are not going to be reactive and emotional “

unlike demonland 

He’s a paid employee of the club, we’re lifelong supporters of the club. There’s going to be a difference in emotions. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 3
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    SOCIAL DISTANCING by George on the Outer

    It was good to see the MFC players practicing the directives about social distancing at the game against West Coast.  Pity was that they continued to do so after the first bounce of the ball, as they allowed numerous WCE players run around un-hindered, with not a Melbourne player within 1.5 metres of them! They then found themselves looking at nearly a 5 goal deficit at the first break, which was to be essentially the final margin for the game. It is difficult to judge exactly what is going

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BEST IN SHOW by Whispering Jack

    I am writing this knowing that the AFL has deemed that the opening round of competition will proceed but fully believing that it should not.  The world is going through cataclysmic change as a result of the overwhelming spread of the Covid-19 virus and I agree that a distraction like sport would be good for the public. However, while the physical threat to the population is bad enough, there are other  issues to be addressed including the mental health of the community and the effects on th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    TASSIE DEVILS by Van Demon

    If you were looking for something new from the Demons that wasn’t there last year, you didn’t have to look further than the perfectly trimmed grass surface of UTAS Stadium last night as the team steamrolled the Hawks to record a comprehensive 32-point victory to complete their Marsh Community Series commitments for 2020. One new thing was the fact that for the second Marsh game in a row, the team finished full of running and they dominated the second half without the presence or the dominan

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SOUTH OF THE BORDER by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons will go into their final Marsh Series match with a strong lineup against the Hawks in Tasmania. Both Max Gawn and Steven May, who were recovering from injuries in first Marsh Series match, have both been named. It is unclear whether Max will be on restricted minutes and will likely get breaks in the ruck with Sam Weideman and rookie Luke Jackson getting their turns in the middle. Angus Brayshaw will be getting his first taste of competitive football despite playing in last week’s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    KANGAROO CAUGHT by Whispering Jack

    There was a fair amount of debate in our area as to whether the game warranted a full blown match report because it was felt that it was really an elevated version of a training session with match simulation but against a team in opposition colours. Although notionally the stronger side, North seemed to be using the occasion for the purpose of working on aspects of their game plan, one of the features of which seemed to be based on taking the longest possible route out of defence and good luck w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    JUST AN ABERRATION by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne unveiled its top recruits with new fitness boss Darren Burgess and mid-sized bull Christian Petracca sharing top billing in the team’s Marsh Community Series opener in front of 3,095 football starved fans at Casey Fields and thousands of others watching on screens of various shapes and sizes.  What they saw was a different Melbourne to the one that failed to run out its JLT Series games last year and then crashed in a heap early in the season proper with performances lacking the z

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 4

    CROWDOWN by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons open their 2020 season account with a "home" game against the Adelaide Crows at Casey Fields. It’s been more than 5 and half agonising months for the team and supporters who are eager to atone for the disappointing 2019 season which saw the Dees go from Preliminary Finalist to 2nd bottom on the ladder. The preseason campaign has been a hard slog with the addition of respected High Performance Manager Darren Burgess. We caught a glimpse of the gut busting sessions in the Melbourne

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE YEAR THE SKY FELL by The Oracle

    After a number of years of linear movement up the ladder, the Melbourne Football Club unexpectedly went into serious decline in 2019, slumping from fourth to 17th in a season that coach Simon Goodwin described “a complete wipe-out”. Those around the club who tried to analyse the apocalyptic events that unfolded during the year were hard pressed to find a single reason for the debacle but the most plausible explanation was that the club’s troubles stemmed from a lack of fitness and injuries that

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...