• Podcast:     

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - KYSAIAH KROPINYERI PICKETT

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just been waiting for my coffee in Horsham and fell into conversation with the happy indigenous gent beside me in a MFC tee shirt. He turned out to be the very proud father of Kysaiah having a pit sto

As an aside, I loved seeing Brad Green back in an MFC polo. The guy is a club legend, and (as everyone knows) he has endured seriously tragic and unwanted life experience in recent times - and he

Not all. On SEN. Former Western Bulldogs captain Bob Murphy “absolutely loved” Pickett's aggression as the Demons announced themselves a premiership contender.  “This is the young upstart, t

Posted Images

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Holy [censored]!

Interesting thay Cal Twomey said on one of his program the Kossie Pickett is really firming for our top 10 selection.

After watching the NAB championship series again DD i've cooled a little on his worth in comparison to say a Henry or Weightman.  It's not what he does when he gets it.  Just the work rate (commitment?) to get to contests or present that worries me vs say a Henry or Taylor option.  If we had a pick 20 to 35 he is more tempting.

Henry is obviously Freo bound but ideal for us at 3 if he wasn't.  Seems to be the No.1 silk of this draft along with Taylor (a tad more raw imv but does show a few sublime tricks at times also).

I'm not convinced any small 'opportune' forward (Weightman/Pickett) or a ruckman are worth a top ten pick (Jackson) but then who else are we needing at 8?  Kemp would be very handy but he's out for a year.  Plenty of other reasonable options of course but many are inside mids.

One who really impressed me in the NAB series was Schoenberg as a balanced mid option.  Edwards as well but think he plays a bit more off HB and already flagged under father son i think.

So do we just stick with Young at 3?  His kicking is certainly top of this year's class but what else does he truly offer us?  Is that skill, along with some reasonable intercept marking/tackling and distribution, enough?  Personally i really think he would need to play as a balanced mid to get full value from him at 3 (hoping that he of course grows slowly / strongly into that role).

Then there's Ash who had a stellar NAB series alongside Jackson & Henry.  Ash was equally impressive as Young across the series in terms of damage + consistency off HB.  Gould not far off those HBs...also very impressive in straight lines and accurate kicking/finish and impressive intercept marking (reading the flight).

Stephens at 8?  Looks good but also big moments of lappsing out of games or not really impacting imv.  Or do we go for Kemp? After re-watching the final of that NAB series Kemp was certainly super impressive in helping Vic C get back into that match and won another on that final kick.  But that was mostly as a medium forward.  Barely saw him played through the middle.

The other player that had an amazing final quarter out of the middle in the final was Isaac Wareham.  He was the one on the end of the much talked about 45 kick from Young that helped put Vic C in front just before the last winning kick from WA a minute later.  Just before that he was also the one getting the inside 50 to Kemp for a shot he missed to put us in front on a tight angle.  I'm not saying you pick him based on that but he was certainly impressive in that short burst (eg; line breaking run, taking the game on & standing up under heat!).

All very confusing really.  I guess we just leave it to the experts and pray to lucifer!

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 4
7 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

After watching the NAB championship series again DD i've cooled a little on his worth in comparison to say a Henry or Weightman.  It's not what he does when he gets it.  Just the work rate (commitment?) to get to contests or present that worries me vs say a Henry or Taylor option.  If we had a pick 20 to 35 he is more tempting.

Henry is obviously Freo bound but ideal for us at 3 if he wasn't.  Seems to be the No.1 silk of this draft along with Taylor (a tad more raw imv but does show a few sublime tricks at times also).

I'm not convinced any small 'opportune' forward (Weightman/Pickett) or a ruckman are worth a top ten pick (Jackson) but then who else are we needing at 8?  Kemp would be very handy but he's out for a year.  Plenty of other reasonable options of course but many are inside mids.

One who really impressed me in the NAB series was Schoenberg as a balanced mid option.  Edwards as well but think he plays a bit more off HB and already flagged under father son i think.

So do we just stick with Young at 3?  His kicking is certainly top of this year's class but what else does he truly offer us?  Is that skill, along with some reasonable intercept marking/tackling and distribution, enough?  Personally i really think he would need to play as a balanced mid to get full value from him at 3 (hoping that he of course grows slowly / strongly into that role).

Then there's Ash who had a stellar NAB series alongside Jackson & Henry.  Ash was equally impressive as Young across the series in terms of damage + consistency off HB.  Gould not far off those HBs...also very impressive in straight lines and accurate kicking/finish and impressive intercept marking (reading the flight).

Stephens at 8?  Looks good but also big moments of lappsing out of games or not really impacting imv.  Or do we go for Kemp? After re-watching the final of that NAB series Kemp was certainly super impressive in helping Vic C get back into that match and won another on that final kick.  But that was mostly as a medium forward.  Barely saw him played through the middle.

The other player that had an amazing final quarter out of the middle in the final was Isaac Wareham.  He was the one on the end of the much talked about 45 kick from Young that helped put Vic C in front just before the last winning kick from WA a minute later.  Just before that he was also the one getting the inside 50 to Kemp for a shot he missed to put us in front on a tight angle.  I'm not saying you pick him based on that but he was certainly impressive in that short burst (eg; line breaking run, taking the game on & standing up under heat!).

All very confusing really.  I guess we just leave it to the experts and pray to lucifer!

Top commentary. ^^^

Pickett... I just can't get over his uncle, was such a weapon and a premiership player. What i like about this kid is he is fierce, and he has a left and right foot. If he plays like Cyril i can live with 18 touches a game. I feel like he is a player that brings others into the game and seems to have a team sense. The vision i have seen is he may not kick the goal, but he has the vision to deliver to someone in a better space to have a ping.

That said I want users of the footy and marking power. I felt like our 2018 side had plenty of goal kickers that just need better delivery. I meed to see more footage and appreciate the posts of others who are not rock throwing and invested the time to see the prospects.

Watching our dismal efforts at contested marking in 2019 was soul destroying as were the up and under kicking. 

• Like 1

I loved watching Farmer at the Dees. 

Hopefully, I get to watch Pickett in the Red & Blue in the same vein.

Dees at there best when we have an indigenous forward.

Edited by Dee tention
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, Dee tention said:

What a stupid and silly statement. While we have had some hits with the likes of Davey and Farmer, we've also had some big misses like Weetra, Wonaeamirri, Lawrence, Bennell, Johnstone etc. Bedford is still an unknown so far.

Let's keep things in perspective first before we start making silly statements like you've just done.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Dee tention said:

You are correct.  Nothing better than watching Farmer and Jurrah in full flight.

On 11/14/2019 at 3:51 AM, DaisyDeeciple said:

Top commentary. ^^^

Pickett... I just can't get over his uncle, was such a weapon and a premiership player. What i like about this kid is he is fierce, and he has a left and right foot. If he plays like Cyril i can live with 18 touches a game. I feel like he is a player that brings others into the game and seems to have a team sense. The vision i have seen is he may not kick the goal, but he has the vision to deliver to someone in a better space to have a ping.

That said I want users of the footy and marking power. I felt like our 2018 side had plenty of goal kickers that just need better delivery. I meed to see more footage and appreciate the posts of others who are not rock throwing and invested the time to see the prospects.

Watching our dismal efforts at contested marking in 2019 was soul destroying as were the up and under kicking. 

We certainly need more marking power down the line and up forward DD.

Hopefully Tomo will bring a little of that and a fit May/Lever as well.

I'm still majorly concerned about the forward set up in this regard and in general.  We lack serious aerial contested beasts with a bit of height that can take a number of big grabs under heat, locking the ball i50 for longer and taking a few more set shots that will do the same (even if they miss).  Crucial as it allows mids and defenders to recover and set up behind play instead of the many sling shot rebounds (under little or no pressure) we saw this season.

A decent small pressure forward or two would also obviously help here.  Would be a little surprised if we aren't seriously considering Weightman if we split pick 8.

We sure as hell didn't give up a 2020 first rounder and pick 26 to draft a highly speculative, albeit exciting prospect with a couple of nice highlights but 0 runs on the board at any decent level of footy.

• Like 3

On 11/15/2019 at 11:11 AM, Accepting Mediocrity said:

We sure as hell didn't give up a 2020 first rounder and pick 26 to draft a highly speculative, albeit exciting prospect with a couple of nice highlights but 0 runs on the board at any decent level of footy.

The voice of reason or perhaps nervous caution given our desperation for a small forward. 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Demon Head said:

Adding to the hype is Jay Clark who is also tipping we’ll take Kossie with pick 10.

Jay-Z says Melbourne are looking at selecting a draft bolter with Pick 10.

Not so sure about taking a 170cm small at 10. 

I heard this while driving and almost drove off the road. He said it was a lock. Would be happy to get him, but not with pick 10 given the calibre of players likely to be available.

• Like 1

I love watching Pickett play and would love to get him, but pick 10 is WAAAYYY to high for him.

Even if we love the kid, we have to objectively rank the kids and select accordingly. My hope now is that we split pick 10 on the night and use an appropriate pick to get him whilst getting something else in. The market for a player like McAsey may allow that to eventuate, but that's impacted by Adelaide's selection.  If they pass, Geelong may pounce to get ahead of Hawthorn. 

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, ChaserJ said:

I love watching Pickett play and would love to get him, but pick 10 is WAAAYYY to high for him.

Even if we love the kid, we have to objectively rank the kids and select accordingly. My hope now is that we split pick 10 on the night and use an appropriate pick to get him whilst getting something else in. The market for a player like McAsey may allow that to eventuate, but that's impacted by Adelaide's selection.  If they pass, Geelong may pounce to get ahead of Hawthorn. 

If Kemp is gone by 10 and it leaves the Ben Newton clone in Stephens, I'd split with Geelong for their two late first rounders and try for Gould and Pickett or another small forward we rate highly.

• Shocked 1
24 minutes ago, ChaserJ said:

I agree, but we don't know what other sides are planning. If we think he's our guy, but think the Dogs will take him at 13, you've just gotta bite the bullet.

7 minutes ago, A F said:

If Kemp is gone by 10 and it leaves the Ben Newton clone in Stephens, I'd split with Geelong for their two late first rounders and try for Gould and Pickett or another small forward we rate highly.

What's your view on Dylan Stephens AF? I liked his highlights and what I've read but admit I have no clue. 

I do realise this is the Pickett thread and after seeing his highlights I'd be excited if we picked him.

• Like 1

• Demonland changed the title to Welcome to Demonland - Kysaiah Pickett
  • Whispering_Jack changed the title to WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - KYSAIAH KROPINYERI PICKETT
  • Demonland pinned this topic
  • Demonland locked, unpinned and unlocked this topic