Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 18 vs West Coast Eagles

Demonland

1 hour ago, Rusty Nails said:

Possibly a bit to do with that Shorty (HP fitness & conditioning ...Misson?).

Add a very poor forward list that can't convert in front of goal (excluding Fritschkreig who played his first game as a genuine forward for most of the match...until he began playing a HHF role late in the game and became less effective); and

Goody's obsession in persisting with the manic chaos game for the entire match = inevitable major fatigue fail / intensity drop = opposition coming over the top FTW.

Just finished watching.

Why has it taken so long to play a natural forward like Fritta forward? Great game by him and Clarry.

Short 1m Handballs to each other are like watching kids pass around a s@#t wrapped in newspaper and set on fire.

My favourite was a handpass to a team mate laying on the turf.

I reckon Preuss should be given another run. He's a good backup for Maxy who looks stuffed both physically and probably mentally.

Petrecca just seems too slow for the Gil and Hocking touch footy game they are introducing 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nosoupforme said:

Devastated with the loss regardless and l am sure the Umpires will think they did a good job. Confused all round as our players would be.

We just get the bad end of the stick no doubt.Where do we get these morons from.  PLEASE! don't tell me they have a hard job to do.

I am gutted for watching these MORON'S umpire. I have had enough. 

Lose the game and not be good enough is ok but not through Moron decisions. Please spare me.

You get good umpires when you are a good team that is winning- we are neither so we cop the dregs

4 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Just finished watching.

Why has it taken so long to play a natural forward like Fritta forward? Great game by him and Clarry.

Short 1m Handballs to each other are like watching kids pass around a s@#t wrapped in newspaper and set on fire.

I reckon Preuss should be given another run. He's a good backup for Maxy who looks stuffed both physically and probably mentally.

Petrecca just seems too slow for the Gil and Hocking touch footy game they are introducing 

I am leaning toward keeping preuss in and making him , run man run, hawthorn commando style until he is fit, fit,fit,  However I think his main asset to us is as a backup if the unthinkable happens and Max goes down. Would not be against having another  more nobileforward/ruckman on the list who could give max a chop out for certain games too.

44 minutes ago, deegirl said:

Can everyone learn Eleni Glouftsis’ name. I’m really over hearing “that female umpire was rubbish”.  It’s not the gender making  the bad decisions.

The sexist drivel I’ve seen on Twitter & Facebook pages is gross.  She absolutely deserves to be bagged for the bad calls but i don’t get why it always has to come back to gender. 

You aren’t wrong and as a fellow female I agree. But truthfully I know the names of very few umpires and she isn’t one that has umpired our games a lot so I just simply have no idea what her name is. I refer to her as the female umpire because it’s an easy identifier. I also refer to Nicholls as that bald pr!ck because that too is an easy identifier. I only know his name because I’ve seen him crucify us numerous times. 

That Eleni is a female has nothing to do with the fact that she is seriously bad at umpiring and she joins the countless males who too are awful at umpiring and ruined many a game this season due to their incompetence. 

On a side note Chelsea is by far the best goal umpire in the competition and I know her name because she’s an excellent umpire not because she’s female. 

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 9

5 minutes ago, Jaded said:

You aren’t wrong and as a fellow female I agree. But truthfully I know the names of very few umpires and she isn’t one that has umpired our games a lot so I just simply have no idea what her name is. I refer to her as the female umpire because it’s an easy identifier. I also refer to Nicholls as that bald pr!ck because that too is an easy identifier. I only know his name because I’ve seen him crucify us numerous times. 

That Eleni is a female has nothing to do with the fact that she is seriously bad at umpiring and she joins the countless males who too are awful at umpiring and ruined many a game this season due to their incompetence. 

On a side note Chelsea is by far the best goal umpire in the competition and I know her name because she’s an excellent umpire not because she’s female. 

David Rodan is actually right up there as one of the best goal umpires going around.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, deegirl said:

Can everyone learn Eleni Glouftsis’ name. I’m really over hearing “that female umpire was rubbish”.  It’s not the gender making  the bad decisions.

The sexist drivel I’ve seen on Twitter & Facebook pages is gross.  She absolutely deserves to be bagged for the bad calls but i don’t get why it always has to come back to gender. 

Absolutely she is a crap umpire and crap doesn't differentiate by gender

42 minutes ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

Nothing to do with gender. She is referred to as the female umpire, as she is the only one and not everyone knows umpires names. 

Thanks for the mansplanation

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Training reports on here during the week initially had the boys not doing practice at goalkicking, shortly after it was reported they came out early in the morning and practiced before the session.

Surely it would be better to incorporate it between drills and after the session where the legs are a little heavy rather than when players are as fresh as daisies. Wouldn’t we better off in front of goal if we prepared properly for it? You know...’Play like you train’.

Very frustrating as a supporter to see so many simple shots missed all year. If we are frustrated how would the boys feel? It saps confidence, how many of you actually hold your breath without realising when watching some off our chains towards goal? I nearly passed out from one passage, not knocking their effort it’s there, but sometimes they make it so hard for themselves to score a goal.

Saty watches them kick from 60 off three steps all the time so I don't know what you're talking about frankly...

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

23 minutes ago, deegirl said:

Thanks for the mansplanation

Didnt find enough at home to be offended by today Deegirl?

Try watching the replay, that should help.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Overall a better team game but too many skills errors cost us the game in the end.  Kicking skills!!

I watched it later, but not sure if anyone mentioned it.

It our home game but the coin was tossed by an Eagles rabid family.  I thinking he is an important local, but gee it was a bad look for us as the "home" team.  Pretty much sums up our support in NT.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Darkhorse72 said:

Overall a better team game but too many skills errors cost us the game in the end.  Kicking skills!!

I watched it later, but not sure if anyone mentioned it.

It our home game but the coin was tossed by an Eagles rabid family.  I thinking he is an important local, but gee it was a bad look for us as the "home" team.  Pretty much sums up our support in NT.

Yes I didn’t like that either

Should have had that mad Trac fan do it

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ding said:

Didnt find enough at home to be offended by today Deegirl?

Try watching the replay, that should help.

Threatened by a woman voicing an opinion?

go watch some replays of the Footy Show, that should help. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, deegirl said:

Threatened by a woman voicing an opinion?

go watch some replays of the Footy Show, that should help. 

You are talking to the only male nurse in a regional hospital........ All my bosses are female... all my workmates are female. Every,Single,One.

Been that way for 15 years.

You have much to learn, but i wouldnt hold my breath.

Enjoy living your life being offended by everything.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I thought that game was a real microcosm of our season since the first five rounds. All of the following which were on display against the Eagles have been regular occurrences this year:

1) Generally the better side for the majority of the day

2) Missed some absolute sitters right in front of goal

3) Opposition barely missed a shot

4) Key in-game injury

5) Last quarter fadeout

The goal kicking is just critical. In such an even competition it makes a huge difference to momentum, belief and confidence.

The first five rounds were really poor but we looked completely underdone and nowhere near the required fitness levels. Since then we have made some structural changes and, other than the GWS game, we've been in every game and have played some reasonable footy. As disappointing as this year has been, with only slightly better goal kicking we would easily be 7-4 from Round 6 onwards and still a finals chance even despite our early round struggles. Even in the Lions game we were 9 points up away from home in time-on of the third against a red-hot team and playing well below our best. 

We're not getting the results at the moment but there is enough to show we really aren't that far away.

• Like 7

Can we cut out this sexist claptrap ??  Umpires of all genders have disgraced themselves this year. Apart from the free Eleni  paid against Max, she did a passable job of it like the other two but they have to stop making it up as they go along. 

Justifiably, no one respects umpires for what they are doing in every match of every week of the season. 

The AFL are surely taking the [censored]  by not doing something about how these officials are doing their jobs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaded said:

I didn’t even notice the umpire was female.

All I knew was they seemingly had a relatively high voice and that they were absolutely shithouse.

Couldve been anyone. End of the day...shithouse.

edit: in all seriousness the admins might want to add the word shithouse to the censored list.

Edited by Beetle

1 hour ago, Mydee said:

You get good umpires when you are a good team that is winning- we are neither so we cop the dregs

Yes l agree there as well however for some reason we cop a fair wack of frees against them and it seems it happens on a regular basis.

What is it with the WCE and the umpires? 1ST quarter WC first 9 frees before we got our first. Ended up 10- 1 for the quarter . I will not elaborate.

45 minutes ago, nosoupforme said:

Yes l agree there as well however for some reason we cop a fair wack of frees against them and it seems it happens on a regular basis.

What is it with the WCE and the umpires? 1ST quarter WC first 9 frees before we got our first. Ended up 10- 1 for the quarter . I will not elaborate.

More than anything I think the Eagles are well trained. They have a lot of zippy players who can draw holds and have mastered the drop and roll technique to get a holding call, plus some dangerous tall forwards who draw frees.

Good players draw free kicks. 

Unfortunately our best 2 players - Gawn and Oliver - get crucified by the umps. Oliver is held repeatedly for nothing and Gawn is a victim of soft rubbish and a lot of off ball blocking.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, bingers said:

I think I'm on my own with this, but I don't think the HTB against Max was unreasonable. He chose to take the ball while he was on his back. He also dropped a mark 30 seconds earlier. (Having said that, I certainly dont blame him for the loss.)

Skill errors were murder. 2 that come to mind in Q4 ... Fritsch's kick ... and Hunt running in towards goal and basically stuffing up/turning the ball over. Pretty sad ... it's like they have a death wish.

The ball fell straight to him, what should he have done, let it hit him on his face and roll off? To dispose of the ball with a handball he would have had to (as he did) pull it in closer towards himself to execute it. However, before he could dispose of it, West Coast players jumped on the ball and held it in. It was a terrible call by the umpire. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, P-man said:

Like fish in a barrel ?

Anyone who didn’t watch the game can read the stat sheet. Anyone who watched the game free of bias would admit he had a good game. Don’t strain yourself too much though.

I watched the game and he was ok and did a couple of good things and a couple of bad things but as a pressure forward he didnt kick a goal and laid two tackles and had no real impact on a game we lost. He earned a game next week on that effort but it was hardly an awe inspiring performance.

• Like 2

I swear you could just copy-paste any round and any match from this year and the posts are the same. 

Same could be said of literally any loss during the Goodwin era. We lose games the exact same way every time and we're now three years into his reign.

We were run over by a better team despite controlling the play for 2 quarters prior and building a lead. We could barely get near it meanwhile the Eagles rarely left second gear.

We work incredibly hard for so little reward. For my 30 years following this team our issues were always endeavor and work rate. How so very typically Melbourne that we've built a team with work rate engrained into its style and yet it's so entrained that we end up working ourselves into the ground and thus lose matches that should be win. 

It would be comical if it weren't so depressing. 

But therein lies the positive. The core is there. It's just extracting it of the rotten. We'll get there. Still not sure Goodwin is our guy, though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brownie said:

Just finished watching.

My view is, if you see a player blossoming in a particular position and finding his niche early, particularly such a young inexperienced one like Fritschkreig, you don't attempt to turn him into something he isn't.  Especially when it's plainly obvious to all that he just isn't up to the task after 6 to 8 major fail attempts.  I would more readily understand Goody's reasoning for trying for so long if we had a full in form list available maybe.  But there were other options available early in the year, including an out of form Tracc from HF to HB (for Fritta) and Jwags/Lockhart (who has played most of his early/junior career in this posi).

Even more perplexing when you consider how inaccurate/ innefective the rest of our forwards are at converting.  Can't win games of footy if you can't snag relatively simple shots more often than not.  Who would you rather have kicking for goal on a regular basis at this point.. Fritta or Tracc?

Ha...i missed that one.  Would like to see it!

A list / structure / coach - training issue combined IMO.  You have to keep your best ball movers/disposal players on the wings.  At this point we are looking at Salem on one and anyone who has two leg filling in on the other,  until the hole is filled at the trade table?  When you bring players that can find space and use it with quick burst speed who can hit targets and goal from the arc then you provide an incentive for the inside bulls to get it to them out wide more often.  You then train it and ingrain it into the regular mids as a first option take the game on"..rather than the dinky "here you have it" ways we are seeing now.

Train and ingrain the method into them once the clear assets / options are there and maintain that structure on the outside to build incentive / trust amongst the mids that if they try to go there, more often than not it will pay off.

Up until yesterday i would have agreed with you Brownie.  I would still run this option for the remainder of the year to give him a decent run of games and see if he can improve.  Looks ok in the middle but super ordinary up forward resting.  IF Maxy could kick accurately i would say you groom Big P to play more time in the middle and Maxy a bit more up forward to stretch the opp.  Unfortunately one can't seem to take an overhead and the other can't hit the barnside of a door.  Major dilemma/challenge for Goody & Co. here.  I don't envy them.

Reckon Derm was pretty much on the money on this.  Doesn't quite have the tank (but not as far away as some are saying IMO) to play long stints in the middle and lacks the confidence to finish off his good work up forward.  Again i reckon this is a player / coach issue and more easily solvable than the Maxy/Big P conundrum.  It's also a high performance issue to some degree.  In the end i think Goody needs to decide what his main role is in the short term and have him train/gym it out over the pre-season.  I reckon he is capable of becoming a Danger "type" for us up to a point where he plays as an A grade inside/outside mid and say a dangerous B grade forward when pushing there.  If he was at a top club i reckon this would already be happening.  A bit like a reverse De Goey.  Needs to find his burst power off the mark in order to take it to the next level.  Hopefully Misson's replacement can make a difference here and get Tracc on the right track towards becoming the champion that lies within.  Also a coaching issue to instill this belief (goal kicking also...some improvement here already although yday's pike was a dissapointing regression...see Clarry who happily went back and slotted his).

All very good points Browny.  Have put responses to each up there ☝?

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 2
  • Love 1