Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Dermie: Melbourne are downhill skiers

Lord Nev

In particular, he singles out Clarry and Gus:

“They’ve got some wonderful players and the two that stand out, they’re going to be fantastic in the history of that club, are (Clayton) Oliver and (Angus) Brayshaw.

“Right now, from what I’ve seen this year, I’d rank them, as defensive midfielders, three and a half, four out of ten.

“They’ll tackle if in a pack and somebody just gets the ball and they’re half a metre away from them, but to actually go and hunt a tackle is a different thing.

“They need to step that side of their game up.”

Hard to argue with him

Yet neither apparently is going to cop the ultimate message from the coach, again.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Wiseblood said:

How do you figure that?

Are they likely  to be dropped  ? 

There's  your  answer 

Derm was a favourite of mine but like Gary Lyon thank goodness he was never a coach.

Great players and personalities but poor analytical skills.

Oliver is a beast who hunts and tackles aggressively. Brayshaw attacks the ball with no regard for his physical well-being and tackles when it his turn. To put the blow torch on the tackling of our midfield misses completely why we have plummeted in ladder position this season.

• Like 4

Listened to it in its full context, he was on the money and he was cautious in his approach very much talking about the now, he was glowing in his future expectations of Clarrie and Gus

• Like 7

Oliver tackles last week 6 week before 11...

I think he's keeping up his end of the bargain here.

He could run back defensively more though, he gets caught out on the counter punch a bit...

Edited by rjay
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lord Nev said:

Neither has been dropped, Brayshaw deserved to be about a month in, and neither named in Casey's squad this week so obviously both are playing AFL.

So you believe Oliver should be dropped?  Forget Gus for a second, who it would be fair to say is struggling, but you said 'they won't get the ultimate message', so I'm assuming you're including Clarrie in this assessment, yes?

8 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

That doesn't answer anything.

Why should 'they' be dropped and who would you be dropping them for?

Really..Wiseblood. .need o spell it out.. no they cant be dropped.  Thats the point. 

Dropping out of form players used to be standard  practice. 

Just now, Wiseblood said:

So you believe Oliver should be dropped?  Forget Gus for a second, who it would be fair to say is struggling, but you said 'they won't get the ultimate message', so I'm assuming you're including Clarrie in this assessment, yes?

I don't think Oliver should be, but I think Gus should have been a few games in, as I said above. I was keeping my comments close to the context of the article rather than trying to turn it into a Brayshaw thread.

In saying that, Clarry was pretty inconsistent early on in the year with his defensive efforts.

I'm not sure why you're trying to deflect from the original point by being pedantic to be honest?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

That doesn't answer anything.

Why should 'they' be dropped and who would you be dropping them for?

Borders on irrelevance whom comes in IMO, the upholding of standards and culture and the integrity of selection is more important, even more so for a team struggling to eek out acceptable quality performances.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lord Nev said:

I don't think Oliver should be, but I think Gus should have been a few games in, as I said above. I was keeping my comments close to the context of the article rather than trying to turn it into a Brayshaw thread.

In saying that, Clarry was pretty inconsistent early on in the year with his defensive efforts.

I'm not sure why you're trying to deflect from the original point by being pedantic to be honest?

Pedantic?  Hardly.

I'm just looking at your quote.  You said 'both won't get the ultimate message, again', and then you followed that up by clarifying this by saying 'neither have been dropped'.

If you don't want me to look at your comments, then don't post your own thoughts to go with the article.  Simple.

And the fact that you're suggesting Oliver should have been dropped, at any point this season, is laughable at best.

Pedantic?  Hardly.

I'm just looking at your quote.  You said 'both won't get the ultimate message, again', and then you followed that up by clarifying this by saying 'neither have been dropped'.

If you don't want me to look at your comments, then don't post your own thoughts to go with the article.  Simple.

And the fact that you're suggesting Oliver should have been dropped, at any point this season, is laughable at best.

The article is about both players, so that's how I was framing my comments.

Thanks for your well thought out opinion though, always good to know which posters play the ball and which play the man.

Have a good one.

• Like 2

Did they have any other insights? We know Gus is down on form but that doesn’t explain the fall down the ladder. I heard Plough say we have a good best 22 but lack depth so injuries hurt. I had to be somewhere so couldn’t hear Dermie and the rest. But there is more to it than the midfield as the stats say we still win clearances and contested ball but it all turns to rubbish when we go forward and then rebounds back the other way. 

1 minute ago, Earl Hood said:

Did they have any other insights? We know Gus is down on form but that doesn’t explain the fall down the ladder. I heard Plough say we have a good best 22 but lack depth so injuries hurt. I had to be somewhere so couldn’t hear Dermie and the rest. But there is more to it than the midfield as the stats say we still win clearances and contested ball but it all turns to rubbish when we go forward and then rebounds back the other way. 

We haven't  a real clue what to do with the pill Earl..  thats our real problem.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

The article is about both players, so that's how I was framing my comments.

Thanks for your well thought out opinion though, always good to know which posters play the ball and which play the man.

Have a good one.

Where did I play the man?  I didn't get personal.  I just disagreed with your comment that Oliver should be dropped.  Regardless of how you framed your comment, that is what you suggested.  In my opinion, that's ludicrous.  If you don't like that then fine, but don't get all sooky when someone disagrees with you.

1 minute ago, Earl Hood said:

Hey mate, only read the article, haven't listened to the whole segment, so can't answer for you. The whole thing is here though:

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=398037

Where did I play the man?  I didn't get personal.  I just disagreed with your comment that Oliver should be dropped.  Regardless of how you framed your comment, that is what you suggested.  In my opinion, that's ludicrous.  If you don't like that then fine, but don't get all sooky when someone disagrees with you.

No problems with anyone disagreeing mate, happy to discuss our differing opinions and how we came to them, but simply responding with 'nah, you're wrong' or that someone who thinks differently to you has opinions that are "laughable at best" is not constructive in my view, and I'm more into discussing things practically than taking pot shots on the internet.

Cheers.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Listened to it in its full context, he was on the money and he was cautious in his approach very much talking about the now, he was glowing in his future expectations of Clarrie and Gus

Without having listened to it, this was my first thought upon reading the excerpt - Clarry & Gus are world in progress. They’ll get there, but only an idiot would expect them to be the finished article at this stage.