Demonland

Another Coach Bites the Dust

3 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Goodwin will be next if he can’t get his [censored] together...

Agree with this.

We have had a terrible year as far as injuries go, but to only have won 4 games, including falling over the line against the bottom 2 teams is a huge concern.

Have always detested his corporate language. I've always seen that type of crap as someone who can't think on their feet, so uses canned, empty rhetoric and [censored]-speak. Maybe he can't get the players to relate to him.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, faultydet said:

Agree with this.

We have had a terrible year as far as injuries go, but to only have won 4 games, including falling over the line against the bottom 2 teams is a huge concern.

Have always detested his corporate language. I've always seen that type of crap as someone who can't think on their feet, so uses canned, empty rhetoric and [censored]-speak. Maybe he can't get the players to relate to him.

Or they are too friendly. There is a fine line...

Very sad for Al...a man of great integrity and football knowledge.

He’s the fall guy for a club with awful administration and years of poor recruitment.

Would welcome him with open arms to the Dees.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

should be next SWYL.

Edited by Demon Disciple
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, faultydet said:

Agree with this.

I dislike it too but the reality is you have to spin some kind of BS at a post match press conference. Roos was very slick but occasionally he ran out of smart answers and we got the 'veil of negativity' or him blaming players.

Honest answers at a press conference right now would involve criticising a lot of players for basic errors, reinforcing just how bad the injury run has been and how little there is at Casey, highlighting the ways they have moved players around to try to get a team going - which then lays out their plans to the opposition as well as focuses in on the players who are out of position or under performing. 

I think the real Goody gets along very well with his players, but we have to see more wins to get the real version at press conferences. 

2 hours ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Have to say I liked Richo.  A genuine no bullshite type of bloke.

As evidenced by pulling the pin himself. I know it was probably jump before pushed, but for whatever reason, most coaches wait for the shove.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, faultydet said:

Maybe he can't get the players to relate to him.

53 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Or they are too friendly. There is a fine line...

Goodwin can't get the players to relate to him, and also they're too friendly. Got it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I dislike it too but the reality is you have to spin some kind of BS at a post match press conference. Roos was very slick but occasionally he ran out of smart answers and we got the 'veil of negativity' or him blaming players.

Honest answers at a press conference right now would involve criticising a lot of players for basic errors, reinforcing just how bad the injury run has been and how little there is at Casey, highlighting the ways they have moved players around to try to get a team going - which then lays out their plans to the opposition as well as focuses in on the players who are out of position or under performing. 

I think the real Goody gets along very well with his players, but we have to see more wins to get the real version at press conferences. 

There's also the alternate explanation that he believes what he's saying. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I highly doubt Goodwin is the next coach to get sacked....

Hinckley for one has had his list under performing for 4+ years 

13 minutes ago, Nasher said:

As evidenced by pulling the pin himself. I know it was probably jump before pushed, but for whatever reason, most coaches wait for the shove.

I should have also added "class". Just saw a bit of his presser - he certainly demonstrated that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demon Disciple said:

should be next SWYL.

That remains to be seen

42 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Goodwin can't get the players to relate to him, and also they're too friendly. Got it.

Either way they don’t work hard enough. Our position on the ladder does not lie...

41 minutes ago, Nasher said:

There's also the alternate explanation that he believes what he's saying. 

That's true, and a lot of them are just adding corporate mumbo jumbo on top of saying we need to stick to the game plan, fight the year out, encourage the good aspects of play etc etc which is spot on. I'm saying there's more he could elaborate with but there's little incentive to do so when it's only going to be negative. As boring as it is there's a good case for sticking on message.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nelo said:

Looks like Goodwin will be favourite to be sacked next year. 

Dew

Richardson opened the door just before someone gave him the boot. I have no doubts that they will be concentrating on Ratten and Butters little mate Scott. I like Ratten and it would be sad to see him get involved with the saints. It would be his death knell.

1 hour ago, Nasher said:

Can't be sure but his payout might have been the same whether he resigned or was sacked

Was he contracted beyond this season?  My guess is he hasn't lost out in a monetary sense. 

But not many resign although RDB was never sacked in his 4 stints as coach.  Matthews?  Jeans?  Kennedy?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

I should have also added "class". Just saw a bit of his presser - he certainly demonstrated that.

Yep, a classy exit. However, I thought his whinge about umpires on the weekend showed he knew the end was near.

Edited by Moonshadow

1 hour ago, Nasher said:

$$$$$$$$$

If you're pushed, you get a payout. If you jump, you don't.

(usually)

Next year is make or break for Goody. 

What gets me is that we never look the better organised team, even when we win. 

That we can dominate contested footy and clearances, but still get beaten, suggests our system is flawed. 

Goody no doubt knows we have weaknesses both in personnel and cohesion. The big question is can he fix them? 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Saints & Demons continue to have turmoil, sacking of coaches & both hold longest premiership droughts 64&66!

Will we ever learn?

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

If Port or Adelaide don't make finals this year I could see Hinkley and Pyke not being in their jobs by the end of this year. I would have thought Goodwin is safe for another 12 months (and, obviously, longer if performances improve).

If the Adelaide position is available, is Goodwin really safe at Melbourne for another 12 months... 🤔

Edited by John Demonic

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Harvey is currently  at a functional club, well resourced with an outlook of success.

Why would he be keen to go to an essentially  dysfunctional  one, with half the toys and assets , run by people that make Porpoise Point look normal !!

I get he's  the prodigal  son and all...but he'd  be mad imho 

I see your point bb, i get that he's at a well resourced club and the Saints are dysfunctional, but does he want to be an assistant for the rest of his coaching days? that's the question you have to ask yourself.

Or does he want to do a Fagan and  venture into other areas of a club and wait 20 odd years for a gig?

It might not come around bb.

It doesn't seem that Harvs has the skill set Fagan has for other areas of a football department, but i could be wrong. 

I'll tell you one thing though, if they select Brad Scott for the top Job, they might as well board Moorabbin up. 

In saying all that he might not put his name up to go through the process if certain individuals are also going through it  i.e Brad Scott.

They might see it as a dead end.

Edited by Win4theAges
  • Like 1

Players make coaches, if you ain't got the talent you ain't going to get near the big prize.

Just look at Hawthorn they have a very good coach who has got them premierships but right now they are struggling because their talent list is dropping. 

Do we have a good coach with a less than wonderful list ? The board seems to think so because they re appointed him before this season even started. 

I am far from convinced. I seem to remember Roos did not even want to interview him a few years back hmm.

2020 will either be a good year for the MFC or the end of Our coach. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 4:32 PM, Nasher said:

You do realise that was 2 different posters?

What a stupid reply.

Posted (edited)
On 7/16/2019 at 9:39 PM, old dee said:

Players make coaches, if you ain't got the talent you ain't going to get near the big prize.

Just look at Hawthorn they have a very good coach who has got them premierships but right now they are struggling because their talent list is dropping. 

Do we have a good coach with a less than wonderful list ? The board seems to think so because they re appointed him before this season even started. 

I am far from convinced. I seem to remember Roos did not even want to interview him a few years back hmm.

2020 will either be a good year for the MFC or the end of Our coach. 

Actually  OD...having read of Smith I'm  more inclined to believe  Coaches make  players...or rather...they determine their careers. 

;)

Edited by beelzebub