america de cali

No major review says Bartlett

1 hour ago, TGR said:

Great post.  The club hope that this year was an event, not a trend.

Overtly, they have addressed the forward coaching in a mini-review pre-bye.  Covertly, there would be many other wholesale changes.

Many here are fixated on the Misson replacement, but I expect the rest of the pyramid to be overturned come season’s end.

Goody and Bartlett will feel the heat in 2020.  No excuses for either of them.

And so there shouldn’t be any excuses, 2020 was the year from the blueprint to have built a premiership contending team.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

He didn't say that.

Odds are meaningless.

You say this every week. Surely by now you've made up your own mind, or does our substance change week to week?

Must be thinking of Essendon or Meth Coast

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

Huh? How would this statement make you wonder about his judgment? I read it as blah blah blah whatever I need to say to let the fans know that internally we still think we’re on the right path. 

It’s not like he can come out and say “yea Jesus I would have to have paid my hard earned to watch that trash... why would anyone want to sponsor us after this season hahahahaha I’m from WA I don’t  care about this club”.

You seem to have an axe to grind against the admin of the club after your disappointing dealings with them.

No. Someone who says Sundays game was of a much higher standard of where Melbourne and Carlton are at thinks our Preliminary Final was a not a flash in the pan shows poor judgement in my view.. You seem to have an axe to grind with me because I dared venture I had a bad experience with the Club this year. Makes me wonder..... 

"no major review" is code for a complete clean-out of the fd and playing list at end of season

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, rjay said:

The mentor thing is a cop out...it doesn't work, never has.

What did Craig do to stop Neeld's self destruction?

The buck stops with the coach, by all means get the right team around him...but in the end you can take him to water but can't make him drink.

...and you don't put more people in positions and make up roles to cover for others perceived lack of abilities.

You get the right people in to do the job.

All on notice & owning outcomes...well most on here have had to wear the outcomes for many, many years now. 

Unfortunately Pert didn't get a favourable outcome after an external review at the Pies, I hope that's not effecting his judgement here.It would only be human nature if it did...

Agree with this 100%.

I'd also add that Goodwin did a substantial apprenticeship before comming to us and then did a further few years under Paul Roos and I don't think you could ask for more than that.  I can't see how having someone looking over Goody's shoulder and back seat driving would help anyone and could pretty quickly become an undermining influence.

Furthermore, whilst I think Roosy would generally keep his distance and give Goody the space he needs to stand on his own two feet and get the job done, I'd also be pretty confident that if Goody wanted some guidance/advice and outside expert opinion on something that Roosy would freely provide that, so that effectively provides the coaching mentor role suggested.

I think it's also fair to suggest that Goodwin is also still maturing and developing as a coach in his own right and that is just another aspect to the journey that we are on as a broader team and I don't think there is much that the club can do to artificially accelerate that any more than it already has or that we can nessasrily have developed a bunch of raw 18 yo's into a battle hardened group of mid 20s premiership players overnight.

Again I'll emphasize that in his parting Demonland podcast interview, Peter Jackson who we all heralded as a messiah like football administrator somewhat for told that uninterrupted accentions like the club had experienced over the preceeding 3 - 4 years are rare in footyland and that we should expect some speed bumps along the way, though I'm not sure that he ment the speed hill that we have had this season.  He probably also mentioned something about his satisfaction and confidence that we had been able to put in place a club administration and footy department with the strength, stability and maturity to adequately handle the challenges and outside noise that a year like we have endured would bring.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sorry kids said:

No. Someone who says Sundays game was of a much higher standard of where Melbourne and Carlton are at thinks our Preliminary Final was a not a flash in the pan shows poor judgement in my view.. You seem to have an axe to grind with me because I dared venture I had a bad experience with the Club this year. Makes me wonder..... 

Have I mentioned it previously? You’ve brought up your previous unhappy experience numerous times and somehow want to tie it to the Board, CEO and anyone else in the admin side of the club, just doesn’t hold water for mine but up to you I guess. The highlighting of the where people (WA, Collingwood etc) have come from then adds another odd layer. 

No need for a review......all good here....save a very minor problem....but...

fleah wound.gif

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Continuous constant review is what good organisations do to evolve, we've started planning for next season already the mid season revamp,(which many of the naysayers said the club didn't have the courage to do) is evidence of that.

There's been a change in game plan obvious to see, but flicking a switch mid season with game plan is difficult.The club is showing strength with their public communication and not panicking. 

I like some believe this season will either make or break Goody, I lean to the former but I've been wrong before.

I'd hate to see the club respond in public differently to how they have. They're dammed if they do and dammed if they don't. The cancerous elements of all clubs and supporter groups feed of public instability,  those elements were absent for most of last season and have come back to feed off negativity 

they refuse to enjoy a few moments of joy in bad times

they refuse to acknowledge small changes 

they look at what we can't do and refuse to acknowledge what we can do.

Do we need change, yes but not huge changes 

Will you change these supporters, No you need courage to admit you may have been wrong. They will lay dormant  for their moment to shine and say I told you so when tough times come 

Edited by Pennant St Dee
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

nick riewoldt couldn't understand what benefit there was in bartlett saying this at this point in the season

it's not like we were under media scrutiny; we're sort of anonymous at the moment, as we have been for the majority of the last 15 years

Spill all board positions.

Keep it fresh.

• Haha 1

On 7/9/2019 at 7:27 PM, DemonOX said:

We prob don’t need an external review because the forty department knows where they stuffed up and will rectify it for next season. 

I have no doubt there will be a review just not an external one. 

Well put. Bartlett understands any successful org will have review process as an ongoing function. 

Mid season tweaks and pre season staus report showed this approach

External reviews are a waste of money given the talent inside the club.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

And hasn't that worked well for the banks, aged care sector, the churches and 7-Eleven? Thought it worked particularly well at Boeing actually. 

At least one of those sectors don't see what has happened as a problem, only an inconvenience it wants to go away. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, daisycutter said:

"no major review" is code for a complete clean-out of the fd and playing list at end of season

Did he say that “the coach has the full support of the board”?

If so, I wonder who will be coaching us next week? 🙄

No major external review at the end of the season?

I do not see a problem with that. From an external point of view based on what has been published, it would seem obvious where and what the problem have been. A very disrupted pre-season along with a string of critical injuries to a number of key players. The number and extent of the surgeries at the end of last season was also a contributing factor.

I also point to the changes to the coaching staff a couple of week's go as evidence that there is an ongoing review process in place. 

As for the head coaching position, well Goodwin ha been thee for 2 and a half seasons so far and I do not think that i long enough to judge his abilities. Harwick was coach of the tiges for 7 seasons until he managed to get the flag in 2017. the season before the flag they mnaged 8 wins and finished 13th.

Geelong in 2007 won the flag after Thompson had been coach for 7 seasons. in 2006 he went close to be chucked out as Geelong missed the finals.

Give Goodwin time to build the team and get them playing with confidence.

Having watched the Carlton game several times since last Sunday, I reckon we’ve been ordinary this year for two essential reasons (and we don’t therefore require some tedious review). They are that:

1. Tom McDonald’s been in woeful form for most of the year, yet we had banked on him being in equivalent form for the whole of this year to his form of last year - I suspect Rawlings helped him regain that form; and

2. Steven May (and critical other defenders) have been injured for much of the year.

Yes, the spread has been poor, the coaching staff didn’t get with the 6-6-6 changes, we’ve generally been absolutely bloody hopeless etc, but I reckon it’s all down to these two reasons.

In short, critical players either injured or pathetically out of form for much of the year.

And, true to the 2019 rhythm, just as Tom McDonald regains his form, he injures himself and is out injured for the rest of the season.

👍

Posted (edited)
On 7/10/2019 at 8:57 PM, whatwhatsaywhat said:

nick riewoldt couldn't understand what benefit there was in bartlett saying this at this point in the season

it's not like we were under media scrutiny; we're sort of anonymous at the moment, as we have been for the majority of the last 15 years

It's measured messaging to the supporter base. Good communication from the club.

Edited by A F
  • Like 3

On 7/9/2019 at 10:09 PM, Sorry kids said:

Ex FItzroy Collingwood Player     CEO

Ex SA                                                Coach

Ex  WA                                              President

Ex SA                                               GM

Bartlett is just another employee.

This may be one of the dumbest things I've read on here 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Smokey said:

This may be one of the dumbest things I've read on here 

Makes zero [censored] ing sense. As I said to him above his annoyance at his past dealings with the club seem to be affecting his judgement. 

On 7/10/2019 at 7:02 AM, rjay said:

The mentor thing is a cop out...it doesn't work, never has.

What did Craig do to stop Neeld's self destruction?

The buck stops with the coach, by all means get the right team around him...but in the end you can take him to water but can't make him drink.

...and you don't put more people in positions and make up roles to cover for others perceived lack of abilities.

You get the right people in to do the job.

All on notice & owning outcomes...well most on here have had to wear the outcomes for many, many years now. 

Unfortunately Pert didn't get a favourable outcome after an external review at the Pies, I hope that's not effecting his judgement here.It would only be human nature if it did...

I agree.....good post.

Has Goodwin accepted some sort of responsibility? Don't reckon.....

Paul Roos had a simplistic plan......Surround yourself with good knowledgeable people, build a suitable & proven game plan, & get the players to 'buy in'.....It worked & now we have a 'so called' better list.

With no external review required, maybe they have the answers.....I hope so. Trying to take some team positives out of the year thus far but struggling to come up with any.....but maybe senior games into some of the young players has been encouraging.

17 hours ago, A F said:

It's measured messaging to the supporter base. Good communication from the club.

Did Glenn Bartlett lick his lips upon delivering the message? 

1 hour ago, Cards13 said:

Makes zero [censored] ing sense. As I said to him above his annoyance at his past dealings with the club seem to be affecting his judgement. 

As if finding quality people for any position isn't hard enough already, now we need to make sure they are from Victoria and played for Melbourne? Riiiight ...  

• Haha 1