Jump to content

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

Footy Classified has flagged that we over celebrated our win again. Tune in and watch these clowns stick the boots into us again. Juddy deflecting as usual. Should be a great bashing session. I don’t think the players over celebrated or the coach and certainly not the fans. Can’t wait to see the spin they put on it

Judd said we did well to win with 3 on the bench and asked Damo i t( i think, but maybe it was Caro) if he understood the impact of being down to one player on the bench (and on that Hore was out for 3 and bit quarters so we were down a rotation for a big chunk of the first half).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't heard what was said....

Hope Brayshaw he pointed out how effective his no look.handballs are.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we mathematically cant make the finals, why are we still 351/1 for the flag?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else have a laugh at Preuss manning the mark the wrong way on Kreuzer? It looks even funnier watching it again. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

If we mathematically cant make the finals, why are we still 351/1 for the flag?

You can still win a premiership from outside the 8. 💉

Edited by John Demonic
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

You can still win a premiership from outside the 8. 💉

Oh yeah ok, i see what your saying ....so if a team inside the 8 is disqualified and we finish 9th, we get in by default. Yeah like thats gonna happen. Would be a little more than 350/1 i would have thought......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Anyone else have a laugh at Preuss manning the mark the wrong way on Kreuzer? It looks even funnier watching it again. 

yeah that cracked me up, it was weird. it got even funnier when the ump called play on and Preuss then ran away from Kreuzer instead of tackling him😖

  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Must say I'm surprised a little by those who think Preuss is a forward. Sure a goal or two every couple of games but no more than a 17-20 goal a year man.

Gawn is the key... Preuss to ruck 70/30 and Gawn to play forward 70/30%. Gawn is a potential 4 goal a game player.

Preuss is starting to ruck quite well; he beats most opponents and is amassing some impressive statistics, and the crumbers are responding well to his style. Gawn can be a forward as it appears that the Weed may be overwhelmed as a solitary tall forward, with Preuss rotating ruck-forward with Gawn across the game. Moments like these make me yearn for a fit JSmith, must admit, to shore up contests across the 50m arc and under. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Anyone else have a laugh at Preuss manning the mark the wrong way on Kreuzer? It looks even funnier watching it again. 

Was probably lucky not to be 50.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Read all of the comments.  As a MFC supporter for 54 years, I cannot truly enjoy a win from a team who has had the most dramatic fall from grace that I have ever seen.  I am angry and embarrassed that we are 16th on the ladder. I am sick of the OTT goal celebrations of the Petracca’s et al. FFS just go back to your position without all of the BS carry on and kick another goal. It’s your job. Just do it.   I was lucky enough to know Alan Jeans quite well. He would have burst a blood vessel seeing the way some of these “modern” footballers carry on.

I can only imagine what the likes of RDB and Norm Smith would say to some of our current players on the back of last season.  

Edited by ProperDee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, jnrmac said:

I'd say many here could see how the game would pan out after we were almost double their possession tally (220ish to 120ish I think in the 3rd qtr) and only 22 pts ahead.

Not that you could predict the injury tally but hardly surprised that a lowly ranked team we hadn't put away would rally to take the lead in the closing stages. This is what calibrated expectations and why some weren't jumping through hoops over the win.

Its all so predictable with this team. If there is a way to snatch defeat from victory they will try to find a way

 

Aside from a rare T-mac hoorah we just have a VERY poor forward line that can't capitalise with all those entries in front of the sticks (set shots...seem to be a tad better in play on situations but only guessing on that?) or lock the ball in for long enough / often enough.

Prepare for more of the same next year IF we dont get a quality KPF in there and one or two quality crumbing smalls who can pressure, pounce on the loose ball and finish in front of goals.

Aside from Goody's crash bash chaotic 'numbers at the contest' game style that sees the boys unable to play out 4 quarters (and mostly always bleeding goals during segments of each quarter and at least significantly during an entire quarter....unable to protect a lead) and our diabolical turnovers (again likely caused by fatigue from the chaos style*) our forward stocks are a major Achilles heal.

*We attempted to play more of tempo possession game in the 3rd yesterday which funnily enough saw us hit our biggest lead during the match and kick 7 in the quarter.  Hopefully a sign that Goody is finally waking up to its benefits vs a mostly chaos option.  We just might be seeing the embryonic stages of a change in the coach's thinking here.  Would be interesting to see if this is the case at training from those here who are regular attendees!?

The downside is we might have incidently been forced to play that way after half time due to the restricted rotations.  Either way, it had the desired effect and was clear for all to see.  Let's hope we learned something.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ProperDee said:

Read all of the comments.  As a MFC supporter for 54 years, I cannot truly enjoy a win from a team who has had the most dramatic fall from grace that I have ever seen.  I am angry and embarrassed that we are 16th on the ladder. I am sick of the OTT goal celebrations of the Petracca’s et al. FFS just go back to your position without all of the BS carry on and kick another goal. It’s your job. Just do it.   I was lucky enough to know Alan Jeans quite well. He would have burst a blood vessel seeing the way some of these “modern” footballers carry on.

I can only imagine what the likes of RDB and Norm Smith would say to some of our current players on the back of last season.  

Not so fast.

1998  we make the prelim after the 97 wooden spoon.  Then we finish bottom 3 in 99 with only 6 wins. With arguably a better list than we have available now.

This has all happened before.  IMO the 2018 list has always been overrated and they played out of their skins for the last 5 weeks of the season only.

Still building

I agree with all your other sentiments though PD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rusty Nails said:

Aside from a rare T-mac hoorah we just have a VERY poor forward line that can't capitalise with all those entries in front of the sticks (set shots...seem to be a tad better in play on situations but only guessing on that?) or lock the ball in for long enough / often enough.

Prepare for more of the same next year IF we dont get a quality KPF in there and one or two quality crumbing smalls who can pressure, pounce on the loose ball and finish in front of goals.

Aside from Goody's crash bash chaotic 'numbers at the contest' game style that sees the boys unable to play out 4 quarters (and mostly always bleeding goals during segments of each quarter and at least significantly during an entire quarter....unable to protect a lead) and our diabolical turnovers (again likely caused by fatigue from the chaos style*) our forward stocks are a major Achilles heal.

*We attempted to play more of tempo possession game in the 3rd yesterday which funnily enough saw us hit our biggest lead during the match and kick 7 in the quarter.  Hopefully a sign that Goody is finally waking up to its benefits vs a mostly chaos option.  We just might be seeing the embryonic stages of a change in the coach's thinking here.  Would be interesting to see if this is the case at training from those here who are regular attendees!?

Hit the nail on the head rusty. Leaving aside the game style, in very simple terms we get the ball inside 50 enough times. 3rd i'n the league I think. That number is a touch inflated because it often goes in, straight out and back into a crowded 50.

But still our forward line has struggled woefully - small, medium and bigs. Part of that is the much referenced connection issues, which is mainly about rubbish kicks but also issues such as spacing and leading patterns.

The above partly shows how critical some players are to systems. I read here that remarkably melk is still right up there for goal assists, despite not playing for, what, 8 weeks? He is critical in terms of that last kick inside 50. Hannan was important in this regard last year and hasn't got back anywhere near his best this year, after coming back from injury

On the fatigue issue I would contend our poor fitness is as a result of our crap preseason not our game style. Sure the chaos, crash and bash style is physically taxing (and might be a factor in that spate of preseason surgeries) but the chip and spread style requires players to run a lot of ks in a game to spread and provide multiple options and leads. I suspect that is why the pies have hit a bit of a slump ie players are tiring (I was wondering if they are doing a hard training block atm to get ready for finals).

Edited by binman
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Tom gets the 10 votes from the coaches and is in TOTW!

Rnd 16 votes

TOTW

Great work for 3 quarters.

Big boost for his confidence which he really needed.  Shame we have to wait till next year to see him again.

Oliver also in TOTW.  It was great to see him lower his eyes and kick a lot more this week.  He is a very good kick.  Roos said last night if he continues to kick like that he will go to another level 👏

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will fly up next season, no  doubt about it. This season's smells of Richmond 2016 look what happened in 2017, its a reset sit back and wait, it's similar to Geelong 2006, look what happened in 2007, sit back relax, history has a way of repeating.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Anyone else have a laugh at Preuss manning the mark the wrong way on Kreuzer? It looks even funnier watching it again. 

Or was it, as the commentators said, Kreuzer not knowing which way he was going?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, loges said:

Or was it, as the commentators said, Kreuzer not knowing which way he was going?

Either way he didn't kick over the man on the mark!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, don't make me angry said:

We will fly up next season, no  doubt about it. This season's smells of Richmond 2016 look what happened in 2017, its a reset sit back and wait, it's similar to Geelong 2006, look what happened in 2007, sit back relax, history has a way of repeating.

Not sure whether this post is in jest...

Sit back and relax is a recipe for disaster for us.  Too often in recent years everyone thought 'it would just happen'.  Consistent hard work is the only way we will have success (ie regularly contend for a flag).

History might repeat itself but it is more likely to be the erratic MFC history than the constant finals playing teams of Cats and Tigers both of which have missed once in the last 6 years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, loges said:

Or was it, as the commentators said, Kreuzer not knowing which way he was going?

Yeah, I think Kreuzer initiated the confusion by having his back towards their goal and looking to give it off. Not on a knock on our fella, just thought the sequence was funny, especially the slow mo, it looked like 2 BFGs trying to dance the Nutbush.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Not sure whether this post is in jest...

Sit back and relax is a recipe for disaster for us.  Too often in recent years everyone thought 'it would just happen'.  Consistent hard work is the only way we will have success (ie regularly contend for a flag).

History might repeat itself but it is more likely to be the erratic MFC history than the constant finals playing teams of Cats and Tigers both of which have missed once in the last 6 years.

mmmm. supporters clearly.... since when have the players and or coaches just sat back and relaxed? (or do you merely go off win loss records to confirm it?)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Tom gets the 10 votes from the coaches and is in TOTW!

Rnd 16 votes

TOTW

Great work for 3 quarters.

Big boost for his confidence which he really needed.  Shame we have to wait till next year to see him again.

Oliver also in TOTW.  It was great to see him lower his eyes and kick a lot more this week.  He is a very good kick.  Roos said last night if he continues to kick like that he will go to another level 👏

In one way or the other, we have all said this about Clarrie's kicking all season and last season. If he continues like this, he will find himself at another level (upwards) and add a whole new dimension to the effectiveness of the midfield - just by influence, alone. Wonderful to see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Oliver also in TOTW.  It was great to see him lower his eyes and kick a lot more this week.  He is a very good kick.  Roos said last night if he continues to kick like that he will go to another level 👏

yeah... thought the same myself

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, don't make me angry said:

We will fly up next season, no  doubt about it. This season's smells of Richmond 2016 look what happened in 2017, its a reset sit back and wait, it's similar to Geelong 2006, look what happened in 2007, sit back relax, history has a way of repeating.

Nobody who has supported Melbourne for more than 5 years believes this sorry

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Wadda We Sing said:

If we mathematically cant make the finals, why are we still 351/1 for the flag?

if we win all games we could technically make it in on 12 wins. haha

either way, there will be bog ordinary teams in the 8 this year. 

oh to be one of them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Wadda We Sing said:

If we mathematically cant make the finals, why are we still 351/1 for the flag?

Gambling companies aren’t going to let mere technicalities like mathematic impossibility stop them from taking money from suckers.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    A MAN’S ERRAND by KC from Casey

    A young and undermanned Casey Demons were sent out on Saturday to the Swinburne Centre in the shadows of the MCG on a man’s errand against a very experienced Richmond VFL combination which is the clear ladder leader and fielded no less than 18 AFL listed players. It was expected to be a rout and the Tigers made easy work of it in the early stages when they held a 26 point lead by quarter time. To their credit however, the Demons weathered the storm and kept their opponents within the range

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THAT’S FOOTBALL by Whispering Jack

    As the season rolls on towards the finals and the football world witnesses the aftermath of the sacking of the league’s unsuccessful coaches, it’s almost  inevitable that the spotlight will turn firmly upon the complete and utter failure of season 2019 - the Melbourne Football Club.  For a team that finished in fourth place last year and was heavily touted as a premiership contender, the fall from grace has been dramatic. As things stand, the Demons look certain to finish 13 places down on

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE MOMENT OF TRUTH IS COMING by KC from Casey

    At half time in Sunday’s game at Trevor Barker Beach Oval, things weren’t looking too flash for the flailing finals prospects of the Casey Demons. Key forward Sam Weideman had suffered a concussion in his first contest and, with a few exceptions, the team was playing like a rabble rather than a finals contender. The Demons were 23 points in arrears to the Zebras and their season was headed towards oblivion. It was the skipper Mitch White who spurred his team on by word and by deed - he fini

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    RIPPING THE HEART OUT by George on the Outer

    And BOG for St. Kilda in last night’s game at Marvel Stadium? It was Melbourne!  This brilliant contributor managed to be the initiator of 13.7 in turnovers for the side, and resulted in a come from behind victory for the mighty Saints. That’s it folks, Melbourne have set a new record for the most turnovers resulting in opposition scores. Despite leading half way through the final quarter (yet again) the Demons managed to right themselves and deliver the ball directly to the opposition

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...