Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd16 vs Carlton

Demonland

7 hours ago, RedButMostlyBlue said:

Don't know the last time I saw a ball sit on the goal line. Too funny. 

No, it wasn't funny.  It would have been funny if it happened to another team, not us.

Would have been a serious great goal if it had just rolled one balls length further across the line though.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, DemonOX said:

Was a very hard game to watch but apart from Hunts goal in the last thought Tracs evasive skills were terrific especially when he avoided 4 blues in either the 3rd or 4th quarter. 

He is finally looking like being in some sort of form. 

Now he just needs to be consistent. 

Appart from the odd game, Trac's form has been very solid all year.  A few of Trac's stats give an indication of that:

3rd leading goal kicker;

1st in score involvements;

2nd in goal assists (interestingly,  Melksham still leads this stat, despite missing a bug chuck of the season now - shows how good he is in that department and how much we are missing him).

By my assessment, Trac will easily finish top 10 in our B&F, if not top 5 or better.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Jaded said:

Gees the only thing worse than this season is all the bloody supporters on their high horse who suddenly can’t handle anyone mentioning negatives about the position of the club. We had one good year in ten. That is not a free pass in my eyes. 

It's insufferable isn't it? "Positive" posters who are negative towards negative posters, not realizing the irony. Every week they come out and clog the post match threads complaining about negativity! Haha

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, John Demonic said:

It's insufferable isn't it? "Positive" posters who are negative towards negative posters, not realizing the irony. Every week they come out and clog the post match threads complaining about negativity! Haha

That’s about the silliest thing I’ve read for a while. Complaining about a specific negativity is not the same as complaining about negativity as a concept as you have assumed. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, olisik said:

In the great words of Mark Neeld. ‘It is what it is’. Nowhere to be seen after a gutsy win.

You are a dead set Fl og

To accuse me of going missing when we win games is out right lie. I am the first to come on here and acknowledge our wins.

Typical of you to come on here and post your negative [censored] as usual. The moment i saw your first post on here i laughed out loud. The sooner the Mods wake up and realise you're a fraud the better.

Oh and for your information i was at a local fundraising footy function yesterday and was actually socializing with my mates instead of watching the game. I had already posted earlier on the week that i wouldn't have been able to watch the game but would be checking the scores. I dont give 2 [censored] on how bad we played, unlike you i am just glad we got a win on the back of having 1 on the bench in the last quarter. To me that shows a lot of grit and determination. Well done Goody.

As for you, [censored] off mate.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 1

Don't mean to be too critical but Hannan could've sealed the game by instead of having a bomb that just fell short he could've handballed the ball over the top to Brayshaw who was in the clear. Btw I reckon Gus got to it first & was denied the winner. That was def a review that should've been called.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

I think most opposition teams would be pretty worried about the prospect of a Gawn/Preuss ruck combo - The Prawn.

Seriously though, we normally drop our output when Gawn is resting on the bench and if Preuss can effectively maintain that dominant ruck presence for us for the whole game, it will go a long way to us being a much more dangerous side.  The impact should be amplified when either Gawn or Preuss inevitably goes up against the oppositions second string/part time ruckman.

I've been very frustrated by the lack of AFL games big Preuss has played, but I can also see the sense in it when he would likely get in the order of 80-100 ruck contests in the VFL as opposed to the 20 - 50 he might get at AFL level with Gawn in the side.  Really hoping this seperate development strategy for Pruess is close to complete and starts to deliver a combined Prawn beast for us on AFL game day soon.

@Rodney (Balls) Grinter - have a listen to Goodwin's press conference - he directly address's Preuss's development...

• Like 2

Angus Brayshaw described the win as "defining".. Honestly... I go on like a broken record but that is just so amateurish its not funny.. We fell across the line against a side that has arguably been the worst side in the AFL since us, without 3 of their best players playing. 

It was gutsy of us to hang on i admit that, 3 down and only 9 rotations in the last qtr shows we have some fight.. but there was nothing defining about it.  Angus should have said, its great to win anytime, but in the overall scheme of things the season continues to be a major disappointment.

Because lets be honest, it has been. Its been a disaster from start to finish, since the moment the siren went on the prelim final debacle, the club has sat on their hands and expected improvement but have done little to make it happen. Debate it all you like but the club thought they were in a position to for a flag but thought a style and team that got smashed in a prelim would take us there. 

The club from the top down needs to put their hand up and say we have got it massively wrong, because if they dont, 2020 will be the same and this time 50k members might not hang around, nor might sponsors, nor might good players. let see how "professional" this club can and wants to be, because right now, they have lost their way.

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, Demon3 said:

Angus Brayshaw described the win as "defining".. Honestly... I go on like a broken record but that is just so amateurish its not funny.. We fell across the line against a side that has arguably been the worst side in the AFL since us, without 3 of their best players playing. 

It was gutsy of us to hang on i admit that, 3 down and only 9 rotations in the last qtr shows we have some fight.. but there was nothing defining about it.  Angus should have said, its great to win anytime, but in the overall scheme of things the season continues to be a major disappointment.

Because lets be honest, it has been. Its been a disaster from start to finish, since the moment the siren went on the prelim final debacle, the club has sat on their hands and expected improvement but have done little to make it happen. Debate it all you like but the club thought they were in a position to for a flag but thought a style and team that got smashed in a prelim would take us there. 

The club from the top down needs to put their hand up and say we have got it massively wrong, because if they dont, 2020 will be the same and this time 50k members might not hang around, nor might sponsors, nor might good players. let see how "professional" this club can and wants to be, because right now, they have lost their way.

I agree with the first statement, but of course, that will never be said publicly 

Secondly - Perhaps they don't (but that might make YOU feel better). They know this all ready and will  change things, which in particular looks like personnel, refinement to game plan - which  only means in the off season.

Winning premierships is a process of refinement

• Like 1

Looks like this page is being written by grade sixers. We won with 1 fit rotation. Enjoy it in a year of disappointments. 

For the record I thought it was great to hear Jayden acknowledge what a year from hell it has been. 

Call yourselves supporters tsk! tsk!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Salems Lot said:

Looks like this page is being written by grade sixers. We won with 1 fit rotation. Enjoy it in a year of disappointments. 

For the record I thought it was great to hear Jayden acknowledge what a year from hell it has been. 

Thats exactly what i am a supporter.. for a long time, financially and emotionally..  it was great to win.. but you enjoy it, it symptomatic of the club, happy with a win.. im happy to play and win finals. 

16 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

I agree with the first statement, but of course, that will never be said publicly 

Secondly - Perhaps they don't (but that might make YOU feel better). They know this all ready and will  change things, which in particular looks like personnel, refinement to game plan - which  only means in the off season.

Winning premierships is a process of refinement

i dont understand you point, but by the capital YOU  it seems like you cant be critical of this club without being accused of being irrational. 

13 minutes ago, Salems Lot said:

Like most things on here, the truth I think lies somewhere in the middle. We were much better for 3 quarters, but whereas last year we would have completely blown them off the park with the dominance, yesterday like most of this year we missed many opportunities with poor shots at goal and bad skill errors costing us chances to be 10-12 goals up at 3/4 time. This fact kept the scores close enough to enable Lygon St to come back into the game and take advantage of our limited fit players and rotations. It was a god effort to find a way to hang on, but the game should have been over by 1/2 let alone 3/4 time with the dominance in play we held. Always happy to win and they did show a mental resolve to take control again after being headed, instead of rolling over.

Edited by Spud
  • Like 1

Either:

• We're really, really pus (as defined by ladder position, notwithstanding injuries which people can debate as to the effect *West Coast waves hello*) and can be semi-happy with the result; or
  • We're playing well below what we should be, and should rightfully demand a lot, lot better.

I think I'd have preferred to lose to really shake the club (*waves at Angus and his comments*) out of its reverie. Plus I'd have collected on the bet on Carlton.

Thank ye gods for Le Tour.

5 hours ago, John Demonic said:

Well JD I am definitely in the camp of 'positive posters' who are critical negative posters clogging up post game threads. And happily so. 

But by negative posters I mean those who simply criticize the team without any balance or taking into account mitigating factors, such as injury. Not posters who make critical comments. Critical  comments and constructive criticisms often generate inetesting debate and discussion.

This thread is for post match analysis. If you - or others - want to come on it and vent that is your prerogative  And it is my perogative to call it out.

How about starting a post match vent thread and those who want to vent their frustrations without the need for their opinions to be scrutinized can post to their heart's content.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, binman said:

Well JD I am definitely in the camp of 'positive posters' who are critical negative posters clogging up post game threads. And happily so. 

But by negative posters I mean those who simply criticize the team without any balance or taking into account mitigating factors, such as injury. Not posters who make critical comments. Critical  comments and constructive criticisms often generate inetesting debate and discussion.

This thread is for post match analysis. If you - or others - want to come on it and vent that is your prerogative  And it is my perogative to call it out.

How about starting a post match vent thread and those who want to vent their frustrations without the need for their opinions to be scrutinized can post to their heart's content.

You would be good at selling used cars or property in Queensland coal mining towns and swamps. Accentuate the positive.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fact: Had we lost to Carlton and fallen to 17th the heat would rightly be on regardless of the injury problem late.

Fact: Holding on to win against any fast finishing side with momentum when you have only 1 player left for rotations is difficult

Fact: We comfortably held Carlton at arms length through the first 3 qtrs, as we should.

It's not a "special" or "defining" win but it's a good win, job done. A negative year means we look at this result pretty pessimisticly but the most important thing for the club was to grind out a result and they did. Still a chance to get 3 or 4 more wins this year. 

• Like 6

I guess we all see it differently. A fortnight ago some claimed we were lucky to beat Freo due to them being two rotations down in the last quarter. Yesterday we had 3 men down for the last quarter and we showed guts and a will to win when they were coming strong. Blues running game has gone to a new level since the caretaker has come in and I thought we were cooked.

Reality is we wake up today still in 16th and with a lot of improvement needed but footy makes you escape reality for a short time. This household like others and our supporters at the G were riding every kick, bounce, tackle in the dying minutes and willing the team to find a way. The boys did and it makes the weekend that little bit better. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Thought it was good to see Preuss play a good game. It’s easy to take for granted how spoilt we are with Gawn’s elite fitness; Preuss was dead on his feet in the last quarter, obviously not helped by a lack of rotations. He’s got a long way to go to reach that level, but he’s got the best role model in the business, so hopefully Max takes him on that journey.

I thought Goodwin’s comments post-match were interesting. I’m paraphrasing, but it seemed they’ve kept him in the VFL so his ruck craft development isn’t hindered or delayed by playing second fiddle to Gawn in the seniors. He also said “he hasn’t played much footy” or words to that effect, meaning they’re treating him like a developing young player rather than through the mature player lense we have been. Goodwin said the long term vision is still to have both players in the side. I reckon the Preuss fans on Demonland can take a lot of heart from these comments - the coach is still a fan despite the low number of games this year.

• Like 9

Just heard the last bit if tmac on Sen. Not sure what the scams revealed but from what I gather not an afl but surgery required and out for the rest of the season.

Our luck this year has been unbelievable. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, binman said:

Just heard the last bit if tmac on Sen. Not sure what the scams revealed but from what I gather not an afl but surgery required and out for the rest of the season.

Our luck this year has been unbelievable. 

You almost could have scripted it. TMac finally gets going in round 16, kicks 6 goals and done a knee. You can only laugh really. Onya 2019, you’ve been awesome.

• Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Thought it was good to see Preuss play a good game. It’s easy to take for granted how spoilt we are with Gawn’s elite fitness; Preuss was dead on his feet in the last quarter, obviously not helped by a lack of rotations. He’s got a long way to go to reach that level, but he’s got the best role model in the business, so hopefully Max takes him on that journey.

I thought Goodwin’s comments post-match were interesting. I’m paraphrasing, but it seemed they’ve kept him in the VFL so his ruck craft development isn’t hindered or delayed by playing second fiddle to Gawn in the seniors. He also said “he hasn’t played much footy” or words to that effect, meaning they’re treating him like a developing young player rather than through the mature player lense we have been. Goodwin said the long term vision is still to have both players in the side. I reckon the Preuss fans on Demonland can take a lot of heart from these comments - the coach is still a fan despite the low number of games this year.

Only speaking anecdotally, but he seemed to be able to run out the game a lot better yesterday than the earlier games he played in the season. I wonder if his experience was similar to that of May where he was a bit shocked by the amount of running we do and our endurance focus? Either way, definitely feel he's improved in that aspect.

1 minute ago, Lord Nev said:

Only speaking anecdotally, but he seemed to be able to run out the game a lot better yesterday than the earlier games he played in the season. I wonder if his experience was similar to that of May where he was a bit shocked by the amount of running we do and our endurance focus? Either way, definitely feel he's improved in that aspect.

It’s probably more just maturity and accumulation of hard work - I doubt North had low fitness expectations given they were top 8 regulars for a lot of years. He’s probably a really good example of needing to wait a long time for big players to reach the level. It’s definitely great to watch him progress though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, binman said:

We're all different Binman so we all see things differently. 

I didn't get a lot out of the win from a personal point of view but from the clubs point of view,  a loss might have been seen as a real set back.

My guess is that despite our poor W/L record this year many supporters still have high expectations. 

But I'm not venting over the win either ... I'm more relieved that we didn't lose as it's always club first in my view.  Any win can be built on where as losing can become contagious.  As we've seen previously.

But most are agreed on our overall disposal efficiency,  poor skills,  lack of leg speed,  poor conversion rates and wastefulness. 

So it's entirely feasible to critique the teams performance and be happy to win at the same time. 

T-Mac doesn't get injured and we win easily ... again,  highlighting the value of a decent key forward.

We need to recruit another key forward.  The 2 that we have don't inspire me with great confidence.  T-Mac is more of a number 2 whilst Weideman is a no.3.  Taking the next step for both players is a stretch.  A lot of if's and but's.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Macca said:

We're all different Binman so we all see things differently. 

I didn't get a lot out of the win from a personal point of view but from the clubs point of view,  a loss might have been seen as a real set back.

My guess is that despite our poor W/L record this year many supporters still have high expectations. 

But I'm not venting over the win either ... I'm more relieved that we didn't lose as it's always club first in my view.  Any win can be built on where as losing can become contagious.  As we've seen previously.

But most are agreed on our overall disposal efficiency,  poor skills,  lack of leg speed,  poor conversion rates and wastefulness. 

So it's entirely feasible to critique the teams performance and be happy to win at the same time. 

T-Mac doesn't get injured and we win easily ... again,  highlighting the value of a decent key forward.

We need to recruit another key forward.  The 2 that we have don't inspire me with great confidence.  T-Mac is more of a number 2 whilst Weideman is a no.3.  Taking the next step for both players is a stretch.  A lot of if's and but's.

Agree completely Macca.

Loved  the win, game   almost unwatchable at the ground 

People around me were laughing at the poor skills on display all game so I can be a lil negative about  that.

So who is available  to poach in he off season? I aways thought Finlayson was a chance but I believe he has resigned. Any suggestions out  there?