Jump to content

picket fence

Come Whatever MAY

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Skin Deeamond said:

To what end? 

Would you like to destroy May’s self confidence?

He’s one of our players now!

If he pulls his head in all will be fine.  I used his own errors as an example of how counter-productive berating a teammate can be.

If it was Jones instead of Frost do you think the same pro-May argument exists in the same form?  I don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Macca said:

I don't think so nifty ... 'group-think' rules on the internet.  So most who have a minority view are not often apt to speak up.

You reckon this thread is a good sample size?  I don't.  i see it as a chance for most to just vent away.  Pound of flesh just happens to be the current whipping boy - Frost.

Besides all that,  I'm seen here as too outspoken so I very rarely, if ever,  get any support.

Which suits me perfectly.  Don't need it,  never have. 

Not sure what you're playing the victim about matey, but pretty much completely disagree with everything you've just said.

Frost isn't a whipping boy at all, this is in no way a thread for indictment of him, it's about assessing the tense few moments between Frost and May. One is an erratic, developing, talented defender who borders on cult figure status with us Dees fans, the other is a highly rated defender and former captain who oozes leadership, if our players opinions on that matter at all, (and I assure you, they matter more than ours). There is no slight on Frost, and I for one love that we finally have a directional leader out there as none of the current official ones playing seem to be any good at that at all.

 

Edited by Lord Nev
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lord Nev said:

Frost isn't a whipping boy at all, this is in no way a thread for indictment of him, it's about assessing the tense few moments between Frost and May. One is an erratic, developing, talented defender who borders on cult figure status with us Dees fans, the other is a highly rated defender and former captain who oozes leadership if our players opinions on that matter at all (and I assure you, they matter more than ours). There is no slight on Frost, and I for one love that we finally have a directional leader out there and none of the current official ones playing seem to be any good at that at all.

 

Are you serious?  Frost cops it no end.  Much like Oscar.  He's not a great player but so what!  We don't have an endless supply of ready made replacements so errors are going to occur from the lesser-lights

So a better player and a more senior player in May kicking the ball directly to an opposition player should attract more criticism.  But it didn't so there's your answer.  Group-think at work again. 

And I acknowledge that May can play but that isn't what this discussion is about. 

May overstepped the mark and needs to adhere to team rules like any other player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Macca said:

Are you serious?  Frost cops it no end.  Much like Oscar.  He's not a great player but so what!  We don't have an endless supply of ready made replacements so errors are going to occur from the lesser-lights

So a better player and a more senior player in May kicking the ball directly to an opposition player should attract more criticism.  But it didn't so there's your answer.  Group-think at work again. 

And I acknowledge that May can play but that isn't what this discussion is about. 

May overstepped the mark and needs to adhere to team rules like any other player. 

Gonna have to agree to disagree mate, we've seen the situation completely differently.

I'm rapt to have a leader willing to instruct and put success before being 'one of the boys', makes it seem like we have a chance to finally change that culture that's held our club back for so long.

Cheers and go Dees!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Gonna have to agree to disagree mate, we've seen the situation completely differently.

I'm rapt to have a leader willing to instruct and put success before being 'one of the boys', makes it seem like we have a chance to finally change that culture that's held our club back for so long.

Cheers and go Dees!

Yes ... happy to agree to disagree.

Building a great culture is possibly harder than building a great list.  It's a long slow process.

Respect is the big key ... mutual respect.  All done out of view of the public.  Airing dirty laundry is counter-productive.

Neeld came flying in weilding a big stick and talking tough.  Massive fail eventuated.  So it's tricky.

May can play but he still has a lot to prove ... and if he can become a difference-maker on and off the field I'll be the first to acknowledge that.

Still got to do it.

Edited by Macca

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/30/2019 at 9:55 PM, stevethemanjordan said:

Seriously, I'm embarrassed to be a Melbourne supporter if there are posters that think this is a bad look. 

Good God. 

Jonathon Brown, whose opinion I respect, said it went on far too long and he didn’t like it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2019 at 1:32 PM, Hell Bent said:

Heath Shaw on multiple occasions, BJ Goddard every game he ever played 

Well, those two are hardly good endorsements of positive behaviour.  Shaw, a bogan Rat Pack member disliked by Buckley who pushed him out to improve culture and Goddard, another disliked teammate at two Clubs who would sulk and throw the lollies all over the change rooms at teammates errors. No, I’m afraid we’re going to need much better examples of genuinely champion players to convince me.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not errors, clear breaches in team rules.  One happens, the other needs correction.  Good on May for doing it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Macca said:

If he pulls his head in all will be fine.  I used his own errors as an example of how counter-productive berating a teammate can be.

If it was Jones instead of Frost do you think the same pro-May argument exists in the same form?  I don't.

You appear to be confusing errors and breaking team rules. All players make errors, some more than others. I don't think berating a player for an error is ok. But breaking team rules is different, and what if May had a quiet word with Frost earlier and he went and broke the same team rule again? I am not talking about a skill error I'm talking about breaking team rules.I think May is doing his job to remind a player if they have broken team rules. Frost didn't want to hear it and May let him know.

Edited by ManDee
Removed paraphrasing assumption.
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, ManDee said:

You appear to be confusing errors and breaking team rules. All players make errors, some more than others. I don't think berating a player for an error is ok. But breaking team rules is different, and what if May had a quiet word with Frost earlier and he went and broke the same team rule again? I am not talking about a skill error I'm talking about breaking team rules.I think May is doing his job to remind a player if they have broken team rules. Frost didn't want to hear it and May let him know.

Every player breaks team rules,  same as they all make errors.  May himself broke a team rule by berating a player rhe way he did.

Frost went up to spoil when he had other options yeah?  How many times do we see that happen?  Constantly I'd say

Short passing in the backline traditionally was against team rules and that's what May did in the first half.  Causing a direct turnover

By the way,  that is the 6th time I have made mention of that horrible May clanger yet no one else here wants to talk about it.

I know what I saw and May was out of line. Are you happy for him to do it again next Sunday (in the same way for a prolonged period)

Genuine question and I'd appreciate an answer. You quoted me so now it's my turn.  I'll ask you again and again if I have to.

Edited by Macca

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May left GCS to play finals with mfc and hopefully a premiership.  Atm both teams are a long way off finals let alone a flag.

The ultimate irony for him will be MFC sharing the cellar with them this year and then watch on if GCS rise above us in the next few years. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Macca said:

Every player breaks team rules,  same as they all make errors.  May himself broke a team rule by berating a player rhe way he did.  -------Assumption

Frost went up to spoil when he had other options yeah?  How many times do we see that happen?  Constantly I'd say -----Point being?

Short passing in the backline traditionally was against team rules and that's what May did in the first half.  Causing a direct turnover -------Assumption, do you know the team rules?

By the way,  that is the 6th time I have made mention of that horrible May clanger yet no one else here wants to talk about it. ----- A clanger is not the same as breaking team rules

I know what I saw and May was out of line. Are you happy for him to do it again next Sunday (in the same way for a prolonged period)  -----If a player deserves it yes, am I happy that a player deserves a spray ? No

Genuine question and I'd appreciate an answer. You quoted me so now it's my turn.  I'll ask you again and again if I have to.----What?

Thought it easier to put my answers in red in your post.

Edited by ManDee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

May left GCS to play finals with mfc and hopefully a premiership.  Atm both teams are a long way off finals let alone a flag.

The ultimate irony for him will be MFC sharing the cellar with them this year and then watch on if GCS rise above us in the next few years

 

You can be very cruel Luci !!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ManDee said:

Thought it easier to put my answers in red in your post.

We couldn't be further apart on this issue.

Let's agree to disagree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Macca said:

We couldn't be further apart on this issue.

Let's agree to disagree.

Happy to agree that you don't know the team rules, and that you don't know the difference between making an error and breaking team rules.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frost has earned his place and has been much more reliable this year than May. May is yet to prove his value and has not been around long enough to be telling others what they should do. May did not have the professionalism to turn up fit and ready to play. I don't think May will have much of a career and it will be shorter if he continues to enforce himself at the top of a pecking order by belittling teammates.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Macca said:

I don't think so nifty ... 'group-think' rules on the internet.  So most who have a minority view are not often apt to speak up.

You reckon this thread is a good sample size?  I don't.  i see it as a chance for most to just vent away.  Pound of flesh just happens to be the current whipping boy - Frost

You bring this out frequently, Macca.

Just because you hold a minority view does not mean the majority view is "group think", nor that you are right.

Just on the topic of Frost being a whipping boy, whilst traditionally that has been the case on Demonland I reckon the past few months have seen the most positive commentary on here around Frost I've ever seen. And I think that's deserved, as I think this year has been his best for us and he has improved his game in a few key ways.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mental Demons said:

May is yet to prove his value and has not been around long enough to be telling others what they should do.

May - 27 years old, 127 games, club captain, under 18 All-Australian.

Frost - 25 years old, 83 games.

Reckon May is close to the perfect person to be telling other defenders what to do actually. Who would you rather instructing him? Petty?

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

You bring this out frequently, Macca.

Just because you hold a minority view does not mean the majority view is "group think", nor that you are right.

Just on the topic of Frost being a whipping boy, whilst traditionally that has been the case on Demonland I reckon the past few months have seen the most positive commentary on here around Frost I've ever seen. And I think that's deserved, as I think this year has been his best for us and he has improved his game in a few key ways.

Group-think does happen but the mob is often right whilst many minority views are wrong. And vice-versa.

As for Frost ... the undue criticism has died down but the residual effect lingers.  In my opinion.

Now you may disagree with my opinion but I say 'Vive la Difference'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Macca said:

And there you go again with the scapegoating

It is now the fault of Jones & Viney.  Weeks ago ir was Goidwin and prior to that it was all Cameron Schwab's fault.

The reasons why we're 4 & 10 are many.  It isn't one thing and never would be one thing

And if you had more experience in these matters you'd know that.

Oh give it a rest ...

how many tackles were laid last weekend?

Lack of Leadership is where we are

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Macca said:

I'm not denying that Frost didn't make an error but so did every other player during the game (including May) They are called clangers. Should May have run down the field and berated T-Mac for dropping an easy mark? 

You can't have players berating other players during the game - it's not on.

And May continued on for what seened like an eternity . . Frost had every right right to tell May to shove it and that's what he possibly did

Who the hell does May think he is anyway?

In the aftemath Frost mentioned that it is 'All gpod' but he's just smoothing over the waters.

As I said,  any error that May now makes should therefore be highlighted. 

So go to it folks

You'd want to pacify a player (May) that plays like a beast that isn't afraid of anyone? At a club (our club) who haven't had anyone so fearless and impassioned before in my short memory?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, red&blue1982 said:

You'd want to pacify a player (May) that plays like a beast that isn't afraid of anyone? At a club (our club) who haven't had anyone so fearless and impassioned before in my short memory?

Cale Morton 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Oh give it a rest ...

how many tackles were laid last weekend?

Lack of Leadership is where we are

 

How about you give it a rest ... you take repeating yourself to new heights.  And hypocrisy and misery.  Even when we win you can often only find fault.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, red&blue1982 said:

You'd want to pacify a player (May) that plays like a beast that isn't afraid of anyone? At a club (our club) who haven't had anyone so fearless and impassioned before in my short memory?

No I just want him to behave himself.  There's a difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This reminds me of Nazi Germany and Hitler . Thank you Mr Godwin.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    A MAN’S ERRAND by KC from Casey

    A young and undermanned Casey Demons were sent out on Saturday to the Swinburne Centre in the shadows of the MCG on a man’s errand against a very experienced Richmond VFL combination which is the clear ladder leader and fielded no less than 18 AFL listed players. It was expected to be a rout and the Tigers made easy work of it in the early stages when they held a 26 point lead by quarter time. To their credit however, the Demons weathered the storm and kept their opponents within the range

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THAT’S FOOTBALL by Whispering Jack

    As the season rolls on towards the finals and the football world witnesses the aftermath of the sacking of the league’s unsuccessful coaches, it’s almost  inevitable that the spotlight will turn firmly upon the complete and utter failure of season 2019 - the Melbourne Football Club.  For a team that finished in fourth place last year and was heavily touted as a premiership contender, the fall from grace has been dramatic. As things stand, the Demons look certain to finish 13 places down on

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE MOMENT OF TRUTH IS COMING by KC from Casey

    At half time in Sunday’s game at Trevor Barker Beach Oval, things weren’t looking too flash for the flailing finals prospects of the Casey Demons. Key forward Sam Weideman had suffered a concussion in his first contest and, with a few exceptions, the team was playing like a rabble rather than a finals contender. The Demons were 23 points in arrears to the Zebras and their season was headed towards oblivion. It was the skipper Mitch White who spurred his team on by word and by deed - he fini

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    RIPPING THE HEART OUT by George on the Outer

    And BOG for St. Kilda in last night’s game at Marvel Stadium? It was Melbourne!  This brilliant contributor managed to be the initiator of 13.7 in turnovers for the side, and resulted in a come from behind victory for the mighty Saints. That’s it folks, Melbourne have set a new record for the most turnovers resulting in opposition scores. Despite leading half way through the final quarter (yet again) the Demons managed to right themselves and deliver the ball directly to the opposition

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    AINT THAT A CRYING SHAME by The Oracle

    It’s a crying shame that we happen to be playing against the resurgent St Kilda just as they have managed to overcome a rotten patch of form with an upsurge in momentum resulting from the sacking of its coach and the appointment of a new one.    The Saints had a purple patch at the start of the season winning four of their first five games (including the one against the sloppy and sluggish Demons in Round 5) before collapsing into the sink hole that led to them parting ways with coach Alan

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    RED AND BLUEPRINT 2019 by Whispering Jack

    The rusty red of the McDonnell Ranges and the blue skies above them provided the perfect backdrop that summed up everything about the Melbourne Football Club’s 2019 season. It set out the perfect red and blueprint for the club’s horror year. The club’s previous season was one of great promise but it ended in a calamitous way in Perth with an 11 goal defeat at the hands of the ultimate premiership side, the West Coast Eagles in a game where the Demons’ first goal came early in the third quar

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...