Jump to content

Demonland

POSTGAME: Rd 14 vs Fremantle

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Jaded said:

My fiancé calls him “that guy you always applaud and then abuse in the space of 5 seconds”. So true. 

His face palming moments are getting lower I think. He does more good than bad now. I certainly didn’t think that in 2019 Frost would be our most consistent defensive performer. Yes a lot of that has to do with injuries, but credit to him for getting better and better. 

Also guys I need to apologies because our shocking win loss ratio is my fault. Been slack getting the lucky charm along to matches. His first attendance of the year yesterday and boom. We win. 

Need to sign Frost up asap. Clubs will definitely be enquiring if not already.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Need to sign Frost up asap. Clubs will definitely be enquiring if not already.

we don't have much luck when it comes to the signing window... the spreadsheet boys would have had him in at base plus say $100-150k giving around $250k at most. Another three or four decent games and you can probably add another $100k per annum.

Ironically it could seal Garlett's fate.

Edited by Diamond_Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

we don't have much luck when it comes to the signing window... the spreadsheet boys would have had him in at base plus say $100-150k giving around $250k at most. Another three or four decent games and you can probably add another $100k per annum.

Ironically it could seal Garlett's fate.

AFL average salary is around 380k now, I would think the 'spreadsheet boys' had more than 250k penciled in for Frost.

Also, we have plenty of salary cap space. From a Herald Sun article in March:

"The recent trade period activity fuelled beliefs the Demons would go quiet in the player exchange market over the next year or two. But some clever list management means Melbourne has enough salary cap space to go selectively shopping again for another key target in October."

And I'm not sure how it's 'ironic' that you think a deal for Frost would seal Garlett's fate?

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

AFL average salary is around 380k now, I would think the 'spreadsheet boys' had more than 250k penciled in for Frost.

Also, we have plenty of salary cap space. From a Herald Sun article in March:

"The recent trade period activity fuelled beliefs the Demons would go quiet in the player exchange market over the next year or two. But some clever list management means Melbourne has enough salary cap space to go selectively shopping again for another key target in October."

And I'm not sure how it's 'ironic' that you think a deal for Frost would seal Garlett's fate?

 

the median is far less

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

the median is far less

Why would you use the median? Seems an inaccurate way to do it to me. I'm no maths genius though to be fair.

"The average player wage last season was $362,471, an increase of $10,000 on the previous year."

Source

Frost has been a pretty consistently best 22 picked player for us over the last 2 years, so I would suggest the club would have had his contract figured in at more than 250k. Just opinion though.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

Anyone else notice on the tv coverage Gerard Healey call Harmes "James Magner" just after he kicked the last quarter goal. What a [censored] wit 

I heard it too and thought I must have been mistaken but I’m glad you have reassured me I’m not going deaf. Magnet left the club about six years ago from memory. Healey gets paid enough not to make these dumb mistakes.

Edited by jane02
Edir
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, old dee said:

Interesting that a few of the over the top positives have still not surfaced. I wonder how many wins it will take? Much better Sunday today! I would normally be off to Coburg today but family function prevents me. A win by the CD will complete a good weekend.

Ha,ha!  They have been waiting a while so it won't be long now!  Then we will see the "Told you so". 

Anyway, I generally ignore the 'OTT positives' and the 'negative nancy's' equally.  See their moniker and know exactly what will be said.  Rather boring and predictable.  I'm much more interested in views of posters with less entrenched and balanced views as nothing is ever as rosy as the 'OTT positives' want to pretend nor as bleak as the 'negative nancy's' proclaim.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched the replay. 

ANB, Wagner, Jones and Mcdonald fumble the ball so much, often leading to turnover. Mcdonald got better as the day went on. But ANB is a serial fumbler. He really needs to iron that [censored] out of his game.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

Anyone else notice on the tv coverage Gerard Healey call Harmes "James Magner" just after he kicked the last quarter goal. What a [censored] wit 

Yep, so I wasn't hearing things.

Nothing against Magner, he was a player that tried hard and had a crack, but I think he would wish he was as good as Harmesy over the journey.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, —coach— said:

I absolutely love Gawn but I don’t believe that we would be stuffed without him. In 2017 the facts are this:

- When Gawn played we won 53.8% of our games (7 wins/6 losses)

- When Gawn didn’t play, we won 55.5% of our games (5 wins/4 losses)

In 2017 injured against Geelong  early in the game without going into details and Richmond led till the last minutes.2 vital losses.

That is my opinion and you have yours. Thanks for your stats.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Yep, so I wasn't hearing things.

Nothing against Magner, he was a player that tried hard and had a crack, but I think he would wish he was as good as Harmesy over the journey.

How long has he been gone 5 years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Why would you use the median? Seems an inaccurate way to do it to me. I'm no maths genius though to be fair.

"The average player wage last season was $362,471, an increase of $10,000 on the previous year."

Source

Frost has been a pretty consistently best 22 picked player for us over the last 2 years, so I would suggest the club would have had his contract figured in at more than 250k. Just opinion though.

 

Fair enough.. averages are skewed by the highs and lows whereas a median is the figure around which the greatest number of players are based.

The best figure would probably be median of players in the same game range.

I take the salary cap stories with a grain of salt. Every club has to pay a very high percentage of the salary cap so there is never that much room. It's more about front and back loading. In theory we should have been front loading the plus 25 years of age players in anticipation of needing room to pay the emerging stars.. which please please we have. My comment re Garlett was that if unplanned money needs to be found that is a source. The money men would have factored in a reasonable renewal salary for Jeffy.

The other unknown in the salary cap component is where Jones fits in for 2020.

 

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Fair enough.. averages are skewed by the highs and lows whereas a median is the figure around which the greatest number of players are based.

The best figure would probably be median of players in the same game range.

I take the salary cap stories with a grain of salt. Every club has to pay a very high percentage of the salary cap so there is never that much room. It's more about front and back loading. In theory we should have been front loading the plus 25 years of age players in anticipation of needing room to pay the emerging stars.. which please please we have. My comment re Garlett was that if unplanned money needs to be found that is a source. The money men would have factored in a reasonable renewal salary for Jeffy.

The other unknown in the salary cap component is where Jones fits in for 2020.

Gotcha, makes total sense mate. From what I've found figures wise, that means he could be on 100k or he could be on 400k, so the released figures don't exactly help! Can't find figures in relation go games played/age etc. unfortunately.

Yep, agree on the salary cap stuff, we have that minimum % we have to pay, but the one thing I think Mahoney seems to nail is the contract situations, and we seem to be well known for front loading and back loading so I do believe the stories around about us having decent cap space this year, although the caveat will be that we'll need a bit for Oliver's next contract you would think.

We'll have Lewis off the books this year, so would think that will help a fair bit. Then, aside from Jones (whom I think will play on), we mainly have 'depth' players who will either be re-signed relatively cheaply or will make way for incoming draftees/trades.

Garlett is certainly an interesting one contract wise, really would be a 50/50 proposition as it stands, so I feel for the bloke. Apparently had a tough year personally last year, and this year he's playing for his career.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, david_neitz_is_my_dad said:

 

 

Anyone tell me how I can copy this gif into other messaging apps?

I have several Freo people I wish to torment today. 

Edited by McQueen
All good, worked it out.
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

We'll have Lewis off the books this year, so would think that will help a fair bit. Then, aside from Jones (whom I think will play on), we mainly have 'depth' players who will either be re-signed relatively cheaply or will make way for incoming draftees/trades.

Lewis is a good example of a known factor in the salary cap spreadsheet. His salary will be well and truly marked for elsewhere. Where it becomes difficult is dealing with the outliers which Frost could become.

Brayshaw was  a perfect example of such a player who went from a struggling possible trade/delist to a match winner in the space of 10-15 games and quite properly commanded a large but comparatively unexpected rise. Tom Mac Donald was not too dissimilar. That is what I meant by saying we are not having much luck with our contract renewal windows.

Anyway it's a good problem to have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Lewis is a good example of a known factor in the salary cap spreadsheet. His salary will be well and truly marked for elsewhere. Where it becomes difficult is dealing with the outliers which Frost could become.

 

  I doubt Lewis is on much this season as it was likely  a frontloaded contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, McQueen said:

Anyone tell me how I can copy this gif into other messaging apps?

I have several Freo people I wish to torment today. 

Right click on the video and "copy video address" then paste to send link :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Loved Gus' tackle on his little bro.  Brought him to ground, kept him there and won a free.

Gus: 1.  Andy: 0

Would have been just like in the backyard back home. Competitive boys. I wonder how many times poor Mum had to break things up when those Brayshaw boys were all growing up together!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Need to sign Frost up asap. Clubs will definitely be enquiring if not already.

Thanks DD as one of his biggest supporters ( see my stunned posts when people called for his delisting  ), I am thrilled that he is doing so well. He can still make a blue or two on disposal, but he is saving us repeatedly now and with his pace and unpredictability, he is a nightmare for the opposition.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Why would you use the median? Seems an inaccurate way to do it to me. I'm no maths genius though to be fair.

"The average player wage last season was $362,471, an increase of $10,000 on the previous year."

Source

Frost has been a pretty consistently best 22 picked player for us over the last 2 years, so I would suggest the club would have had his contract figured in at more than 250k. Just opinion though.

 

Because the mean can be skewed by a small number of outlier values - the median may be a better measure of "central tendency" in this case...

https://statistics.laerd.com/statistical-guides/measures-central-tendency-mean-mode-median.php

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Thanks DD as one of his biggest supporters ( see my stunned posts when people called for his delisting  ), I am thrilled that he is doing so well. He can still make a blue or two on disposal, but he is saving us repeatedly now and with his pace and unpredictability, he is a nightmare for the opposition.

I have been in the same boat as you mate regarding being a big supporter also. Those blunders are now limiting with each game and experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, binman said:

Agree. And on another day he gets 5 or 6 not 3.3 because he is usually an excellent kick  for goal. Terrific technique.

Has had a horrid run with injury and hopefully he can play out the season and build confidence and experience.

I was reflecting that ideally we would have both Smith's in the forward line. Both attack the ball in the air and on the ground and tackle fiercely and provide the sort of forward pressure we have sorely missed. 

I don't know about him being an excellent kick for goal. I think what he produced reflected his skill set.

3.3 and an out on the full.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I have been in the same boat as you mate regarding being a big supporter also. Those blunders are now limiting with each game and experience.

I’m with you blokes. 

Always a Frost supporter. 

However, the balls a bit like a hand grenade when he has it. He either gets rid of it successfully and destroys the enemy- or it blows up among his teammates 

Certain excitement either way!

  • Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...