Jump to content

Lord Nev

Angus Brayshaw to Fremantle Rumours

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

Perhaps this club already knows what it is - deals with things privately, and allows things to run it's course....

Perhaps.  Yes, certainly deal with personal problems in private but there are also issues with where he is playing and how he is playing. They can be discussed in the public domain. Why the defensiveness Onion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From today's "The Tackle"...

 

Much like his side Melbourne, Angus Brayshaw has experienced a significant form drop off this season.

The tough on-baller, who finished third in last year’s Brownlow Medal count, has averaged 22 disposals and four marks, down from 26 possessions last season.

His ranking points dive has been telling, plunging from 95 on average in 2019 to 82 this year after a barnstorming finish to last season.

With the Demons battling in 17th, will they have to consider cashing in on Brayshaw during the coming trade period?

5. WHAT TO DO WITH ANGUS?

Brayshaw’s tormented season continued on Saturday night. The Demon midfielder won just 11 disposals, his fewest since 2016. His past five matches have been 15, 12, 15, 17 and 11. Against the Tigers coach Simon Goodwin tried him everywhere — 54 per cent midfield, 27 per cent defence, and 19 per cent forward. Maybe that’s the problem. It also might be that they were looking for a position where he could contribute. Brayshaw’s form is a mystery and you have to wonder if he’s a happy footballer. Could a trade work? There is noise about Fremantle’s Ed Langdon and Adam Cerra being targets for Victorian clubs — and Angus’s brother is already over there. It’s just a thought, and the Demons do want outside run …

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

From today's "The Tackle"...

 

Much like his side Melbourne, Angus Brayshaw has experienced a significant form drop off this season.

The tough on-baller, who finished third in last year’s Brownlow Medal count, has averaged 22 disposals and four marks, down from 26 possessions last season.

His ranking points dive has been telling, plunging from 95 on average in 2019 to 82 this year after a barnstorming finish to last season.

With the Demons battling in 17th, will they have to consider cashing in on Brayshaw during the coming trade period?

5. WHAT TO DO WITH ANGUS?

Brayshaw’s tormented season continued on Saturday night. The Demon midfielder won just 11 disposals, his fewest since 2016. His past five matches have been 15, 12, 15, 17 and 11. Against the Tigers coach Simon Goodwin tried him everywhere — 54 per cent midfield, 27 per cent defence, and 19 per cent forward. Maybe that’s the problem. It also might be that they were looking for a position where he could contribute. Brayshaw’s form is a mystery and you have to wonder if he’s a happy footballer. Could a trade work? There is noise about Fremantle’s Ed Langdon and Adam Cerra being targets for Victorian clubs — and Angus’s brother is already over there. It’s just a thought, and the Demons do want outside run …

This sums it up. 

He isn't displacing Oliver from on ball. Viney can't play elsewhere. Harmes is the starting run with player and can do a a bit of inside as well as finish. 

So his role for us is to rotate into the centre when someone else gets a rest. And he isn't clean enough to play on a flank/wing for 80% of the game. Last year, with Viney injured, he was able to play inside most of the season. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What if though, it got us the Suns Priority Pick and we traded Brayshaw to the Suns, got pick 2 and then we had Pick 3? would it change anything?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, deanox said:

This sums it up. 

He isn't displacing Oliver from on ball. Viney can't play elsewhere. Harmes is the starting run with player and can do a a bit of inside as well as finish. 

So his role for us is to rotate into the centre when someone else gets a rest. And he isn't clean enough to play on a flank/wing for 80% of the game. Last year, with Viney injured, he was able to play inside most of the season. 

 

 

I think there's a common thread there... Viney.... perhaps there's a better player for his position.

Viney's upside is limited whereas we know Brayshaw has another level.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

I think there's a common thread there... Viney.... perhaps there's a better player for his position.

Viney's upside is limited whereas we know Brayshaw has another level.

Personally I would much rather trade Viney than Brayshaw, but it will never happen.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2019 at 3:31 PM, Lord Nev said:

I think the majority of Dees fans recognize we have weaknesses in midfield skill, outside run/pace and delivery forward, as well as us being in our 'window' as of now. I get that there's other areas we may debate with each other about, but I feel those things are pretty clear. So how do we improve those areas quickly enough that we can make the most of our chances now? This article raises a hypothetical that I scoffed at at first but have wavered a bit since thinking about it more.

Why trading Angus Brayshaw could fix Melbourne's midfield

"But Brayshaw personifies Melbourne's midfield issues - fantastic in the contest, tough as old boots and able to find the pill, but unreliable by foot. He has committed the 11th most turnovers in the league this year, with his disposal efficiency under implied pressure and physical pressure the second-worst and fourth-worst of the league's top 50 ball-winners."

It goes on to suggest trade scenarios which would see us losing Gus, and possibly a pick, to return Lachie Whitfield.

My questions are these:

- Is Gus 'untouchable' given we have Oliver, Harmes & Viney in the same role? Plus, with Sparrow and Dunkley potentially coming through in the same vein, others as depth etc.

- What do we make of Gus' massive form slump this year? You could argue it coincides with him attending less centre bounces, but there's other aspects to that as well such as his concussion history, his lack of accountability this year and of course, our lack of outside run which sees him being used there. Is he injured this year? Unhappy? Something seems up with him.

- Do we need to make such a big move or do we rely purely on tweaks to game plans, roles and structures in the offseason? I guess that boils down to trust in the footy department to fix things, which I imagine is at a low point given our performance this year.

Thoughts?

I haven't read the rest of this thread. Too long. I'll just answer the OP. 

As far as I'm concerned, Gus is untouchable. The kid came third in the Brownlow on 2/3 of a season last year. The quality is clearly there. He is also the best set shot of our young mids by a mile. 

I think his lack of form is related to both changed roles and the rule changes. As much as I hate our under 10's-style play, he thrived on the extra numbers last year. He is also clearly best utilised in the guts. Trying to push him to the wings or flanks has been a dismal failure.

As for the need to make a move, I think we have a very good list right now being coached very badly. Most of the issues are fixable but would require new direction from the fd.  I do agree that we should continue to regine our list and chase skilled outside runners, but you don't give up a player like Gus if you can avoid it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You watch we will trade out an inside mid or two and get some outside runners which we desperately need then next season we won’t have enough quality inside mids to feed the ball out from the stoppages. 

It would be the MFC way. 

I also think if we did trade brayshaw out he would have an outstanding career at that club. No to the trade from me. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brayshaws form has dropped because he's carrying an injury and bravely playing through the pain, and is also playing out of position because we have no outside run. this is why he also hasn't been dropped because the club knows his form slump isn't just related to him. 

I hope this hasn't smacked up his confidence too much and he's able to bounce back hard in 2020 with more time in the guts. 

Viney won't be, but should be ahead of Brayshaw on the trade table. we've seen the best Jack is going to be in my opinion, hard as nails midfielder, but limited, one dimensional and skills that are not up to AFL standard. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

Brayshaws form has dropped because he's carrying an injury and bravely playing through the pain, and is also playing out of position because we have no outside run. this is why he also hasn't been dropped because the club knows his form slump isn't just related to him. 

I hope this hasn't smacked up his confidence too much and he's able to bounce back hard in 2020 with more time in the guts. 

Viney won't be, but should be ahead of Brayshaw on the trade table. we've seen the best Jack is going to be in my opinion, hard as nails midfielder, but limited, one dimensional and skills that are not up to AFL standard. 

I also think Viney upsets the balance of the midfield. See ball, get ball, kick ball (anywhere) or get caught with ball. Not that I’m entertaining a trade but Brayshaw’s trade value would certainly be higher than Viney’s. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

I haven't read the rest of this thread. Too long. I'll just answer the OP. 

As far as I'm concerned, Gus is untouchable. The kid came third in the Brownlow on 2/3 of a season last year. The quality is clearly there. He is also the best set shot of our young mids by a mile. 

I think his lack of form is related to both changed roles and the rule changes. As much as I hate our under 10's-style play, he thrived on the extra numbers last year. He is also clearly best utilised in the guts. Trying to push him to the wings or flanks has been a dismal failure.

As for the need to make a move, I think we have a very good list right now being coached very badly. Most of the issues are fixable but would require new direction from the fd.  I do agree that we should continue to regine our list and chase skilled outside runners, but you don't give up a player like Gus if you can avoid it. 

19 out of 22 regular season games isn't "2/3 of a season" mate, and I think the fact he wasn't invited to the Brownlow (along with him being 6th in the Bluey) tells you it wasn't a true reflection of his season.

How exactly do you think the rule changes have impacted his play, specifically?

What are you basing the set shot stats on? Over his career he's averaged 60% goal kicking accuracy in total, but I can't find any stats for set shots, so if you have somewhere you're getting that I'd love it if you could share.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

Brayshaws form has dropped because he's carrying an injury and bravely playing through the pain

IF that is true (source?) then it's not brave, it's completely stupid and horrible management from the club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ethan Tremblay said:

I also think Viney upsets the balance of the midfield. See ball, get ball, kick ball (anywhere) or get caught with ball. 

Our midfield looks it's best when it's Oliver, Brayshaw and Harmes tagging and running off. Speed, toughness and i think better skills. Viney i would try as a pressure forward but otherwise if it was my call i'd say he would be a trade option given he'd have decent value. 

i agree, he upsets the balance quite a bit, if he's in the midfield it's his midfield he turns any structure into chaos which is great if he wins it, horrible if he doesn't because everyone is out of position.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trading Brayshaw is curious, but the suggestions that Viney is even more tradeable is just laughable. Jack is a competitor, one of only a few that we have on the list, he like most of our players have had an ordinary year, look at his finals last year, they were amazing, he showed true grit and heart off the back of a very limited preparation. He will be fine and so will Gus.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

Our midfield looks it's best when it's Oliver, Brayshaw and Harmes tagging and running off. Speed, toughness and i think better skills. Viney i would try as a pressure forward but otherwise if it was my call i'd say he would be a trade option given he'd have decent value. 

i agree, he upsets the balance quite a bit, if he's in the midfield it's his midfield he turns any structure into chaos which is great if he wins it, horrible if he doesn't because everyone is out of position.

I agree with that combination of midfielders being our best. I suggested last week that Viney should be moved into defence, probably not a great idea given his lack of accuracy. Might be worth a shot up forward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Demon3 said:

Trading Brayshaw is curious, but the suggestions that Viney is even more tradeable is just laughable. Jack is a competitor, one of only a few that we have on the list, he like most of our players have had an ordinary year, look at his finals last year, they were amazing, he showed true grit and heart off the back of a very limited preparation. He will be fine and so will Gus.

We made our big run to the finals without Viney, I think some overrate his importance.

Also, he's rated as the single worst kick inside 50 in the league.

But sure, everything will be fine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rate Viney's kicking as significantly worse than that of Brayshaw. At least Gus can kick off either foot 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Demon3 said:

What if though, it got us the Suns Priority Pick and we traded Brayshaw to the Suns, got pick 2 and then we had Pick 3? would it change anything?

1) Gus will need to agree to go to the sun's not even dom Tyson signed a 5 year big money deal to go there.

2) GC got reamed with the Lachie Weller trade, no way they over pay like that again 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lord Nev said:

We made our big run to the finals without Viney, I think some overrate his importance.

Also, he's rated as the single worst kick inside 50 in the league.

But sure, everything will be fine.

I agree. The ‘everything will be ok’ is just wishful supporter thinking. Most of us have been supporting the club to know that this actually isn’t the case. Successful teams like Hawthorn get ahead of the pack and make tough calls on players before it gets too late. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Lord Nev said:

We made our big run to the finals without Viney, I think some overrate his importance.

Also, he's rated as the single worst kick inside 50 in the league.

But sure, everything will be fine.

11 tackles in his first final, more than anyone on the ground and spent less time on the ground than anyone  and 27 disposals 17 contested both of them game high and still spent less than anyone on the ground for Melbourne in the second final, But yeah sure lets trade out a captain and a player who is 10 times more the competitor than 90% of our list.

I dont overrate his importance, i just rate his importance.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

I agree. The ‘everything will be ok’ is just wishful supporter thinking. Most of us have been supporting the club to know that this actually isn’t the case. Successful teams like Hawthorn get ahead of the pack and make tough calls on players before it gets too late. 

Jack Viney is 25. Hawthorn didnt trade Sam Mitchell when he was 25. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clearly something is amiss with Brayshaw. On Saturday night I was able to go down to the rooms after the match, as they came down the race to the rooms Goody had his arm around Brayshaw who looked distressed.   Mind you they all looked pretty close to distressed and I was left in no doubt as a group they are hurting. I actually found the looks on their faces pretty confronting. 

Pre game McDonald spoke at the club function and said that all the players know its hard for the supporters to turn up but it means a lot to the playing group that supporters turn up. Goody also turned up briefly and said the players remain united. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, Demon3 said:

Jack Viney is 25. Hawthorn didnt trade Sam Mitchell when he was 25. 

Sam Mitchell didn't disrupt Hawthorns entire midfield structure, our midfield looks clearly better without Jack in it, but he walks into the side, and captaincy because his sir name is Viney. 

if his sir name was Brayshaw he'd 100% be on the trade block.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

I'd rate Viney's kicking as significantly worse than that of Brayshaw. At least Gus can kick off either foot 

Angus can be a great Kick when he takes the time to care and look, that hasn't happened all year.  Over their career, Jacks Disposal Eff is better and he turns it over less than Angus. But you rate it better so thats ok.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    A MAN’S ERRAND by KC from Casey

    A young and undermanned Casey Demons were sent out on Saturday to the Swinburne Centre in the shadows of the MCG on a man’s errand against a very experienced Richmond VFL combination which is the clear ladder leader and fielded no less than 18 AFL listed players. It was expected to be a rout and the Tigers made easy work of it in the early stages when they held a 26 point lead by quarter time. To their credit however, the Demons weathered the storm and kept their opponents within the range

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

×
×
  • Create New...