Sign in to follow this  
Demonland

How Have the Debutants Fared?

36 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Thoughts on our 5 1 debutants this year?

Marty Hore, Tom Sparrow, Jay Lockhart, Declan Keilty & Oskar Baker.

Hore - value pick and performance

Sparrow - seems valuable, performance as expected with scope for improvements, must find him a regular spot to blossom

Lockhart - value pick and a roving type, performance variable but at times, clever; should improve with a regular spot

Keilty - impressive defender and leap, performance can be good but inexperienced, has good potential and works hard

Baker - impressive flanker, terrific speed and agility, sound kick, inexperienced but learning fast, a future best 22

• Like 3

Hore is a quality recruit. I think he keeps Jetta out of the first choice back six. Quicker and better in the air. Love Nev but Marty is an upgrade moving forward.

Baker looks very promising. Has the speed and evasive movement needed to play in wide positions at AFL level. Really like his change of pace and can find the footy, too. With more confidence there's a place in the side there for the taking for him. Could become a 150-gamer or a bust but the upside is significant.

Lockhart looks promising and needs to be given chances ahead of Garlett now that finals are out of the equations. Boy you've got to be good if you're a small guy at this level. So let's see.

Sparrow I can't form an opinion on yet based on what we've seen. Certainly looks to have solid physical attributes and the courage necessary. Skill in close and ball winning we don't really know yet. We need another inside mid to come on with Jones reaching the end.

Keilty I've seen a number of times for Casey and am not convinced he'll be anything more than a VFL player. 

• Like 2

Hore will be an All Australian in a couple of years.

Sparrow, was developing well at Casey until injury.

Baker and Lockhart will be better next year after senior experience and a full pre season under their belts.

Keilty will be delisted IMO.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

I have been really impressed with all debutants at AFL level bar Keilty... However Keilty has seemed to play some really impressive footy at VFL level so he would defiantly be worth persisting with.... Can't judge a key position player on what he could provide in 3 games at AFL level. Assuming he is ticking all the boxes internally then I'd say he sticks around on a 1 year deal. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Baker has something.  I reckon he will blossom and become very good.   next good game he plays he will get a rising star nom

last weekend some bloke got a nomination for 12 touches??  must not be much young talent this year...

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, GCDee said:

I have been really impressed with all debutants at AFL level bar Keilty... However Keilty has seemed to play some really impressive footy at VFL level so he would defiantly be worth persisting with.... Can't judge a key position player on what he could provide in 3 games at AFL level. Assuming he is ticking all the boxes internally then I'd say he sticks around on a 1 year deal. 

Been on the AFL list for 3 years now for just 2 games. Have watches several  VFL games this year and he's barely hitting the scoreboard as a CHF and hasn't really put his hand up at all for a AFL recall since he's been dropped. 

Sam Weideman, Tim Smith and Pruess are now ahead of him in terms of forward options.

Doubt he'll make the cut at the end of the year

1 hour ago, demonstone said:

No point persisting with him just to be defiant.  

haha oops 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Been on the AFL list for 3 years now for just 2 games. Have watches several  VFL games this year and he's barely hitting the scoreboard as a CHF and hasn't really put his hand up at all for a AFL recall since he's been dropped. 

Sam Weideman, Tim Smith and Pruess are now ahead of him in terms of forward options.

Tim Smith might be ahead of him now, but Smith is already 28 and has only played 10 games. While I think neither will be kept, if I was keeping one, I would retain Keilty because I think he has more upside than Smith.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, david_neitz_is_my_dad said:

Will be on the Demonland banner too

thats when you know you've made it 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Tim Smith might be ahead of him now, but Smith is already 28 and has only played 10 games. While I think neither will be kept, if I was keeping one, I would retain Keilty because I think he has more upside than Smith.

Keilty is already 24 and to be honest he hasn't improved that much from last year. 

Again, he's been on our list for 3 years for a return of 2 games. That's poor

How long do we need to continue to hang o to these NQR standard players? I'm sorry but this might come across as harsh but we've barely gotten anything back in return from Keilty. He is a definition of a list clogger.

Time to cash in and free some spots up for next year to at least grab a tall who will look like making an impact but also show that they have a future at this footy club.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Matsuo Basho said:

Hore is a quality recruit. I think he keeps Jetta out of the first choice back six. Quicker and better in the air. Love Nev but Marty is an upgrade moving forward.

Baker looks very promising. Has the speed and evasive movement needed to play in wide positions at AFL level. Really like his change of pace and can find the footy, too. With more confidence there's a place in the side there for the taking for him. Could become a 150-gamer or a bust but the upside is significant.

Lockhart looks promising and needs to be given chances ahead of Garlett now that finals are out of the equations. Boy you've got to be good if you're a small guy at this level. So let's see.

Sparrow I can't form an opinion on yet based on what we've seen. Certainly looks to have solid physical attributes and the courage necessary. Skill in close and ball winning we don't really know yet. We need another inside mid to come on with Jones reaching the end.

Keilty I've seen a number of times for Casey and am not convinced he'll be anything more than a VFL player. 

🏼 lockstep with u on all of that RR 👌🏼

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Matsuo Basho said:

Basically agree.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Not sure Tim Smith will either. We may look at Petty as a forward and Joel Smith to be back next year.

• Like 1

Agree with all except Kielty

Haven't seen enough of him

Needs to put on some bulk

11 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Keilty is already 24 and to be honest he hasn't improved that much from last year. 

Again, he's been on our list for 3 years for a return of 2 games. That's poor

How long do we need to continue to hang o to these NQR standard players? I'm sorry but this might come across as harsh but we've barely gotten anything back in return from Keilty. He is a definition of a list clogger.

Time to cash in and free some spots up for next year to at least grab a tall who will look like making an impact but also show that they have a future at this footy club.

I don't disagree. I only said that IF one were to be retained, I'd keep Keilty over T Smith. If it were up to me, I wouldn't keep either.

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I don't disagree. I only said that IF one were to be retained, I'd keep Keilty over T Smith. If it were up to me, I wouldn't keep either.

Then we both agree on that.

Agree Hore is a quality find but Jetta is a must to play on small forwards. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I don't think he has really been dominant in vfl either. Sure, a few nice cameos here and there and plenty of effort,  but he never seems to get many possessions. he needs to find the ball more often and get some 20+ possession games (or kick a bag).

agree, can't see him being retained

9 hours ago, Matsuo Basho said:

Too soon to tell, on all of them...  consistent strong performances over a couple of seasons,  IMO is required.  (see Hunt).  A very lucky boy I reckon,  that he's found a position he can play in. 

He was looking at the chop end of this year,  if he didn't find a position to show his skills.

Last year I don't think would have worked for him,  inside 50...  with the extreme press happening. 

Hunt needs some space in front,  and around him. IMO.

All of those kids mentioned,  all have some skills.  Hopefully they will all continue to grow. 

But no Pedestals yet for any of them...

6 hours ago, david_neitz_is_my_dad said:

Will be on the Demonland banner too

Hopefully as a hindsight action,  rather than a being-clever action...   that just backfires in our faces.

• Like 1