Sign in to follow this  
The Stigga

Bartlett, Pert, et al

On 6/11/2019 at 7:14 PM, ding said:

So i am not going near the infighting that this thread has already sparked, but does this quote strike anyone else as being just a bit OTT?

How can we possibly be "bullet proof to on-field fortunes???

Any club (but especially one like ours with a small membership base and terrible 50+ year history of non-success) can suffer a huge financial drop-off with a sudden reversal of fortunes like we have seen so far this year. He is telling us it doesn't matter what happens on-field, that we are going to be fine as a club. If membership plummets next year we dont have to worry? Awesome, i will keep my money in my pocket next year if it doesnt matter. Gives me some extra to spend on Diazepam so i can watch our games.

Sorry Glen, that is some shocking hyperbole on your part.

R23 2018 vs GWS - 40K

R10 2019 vs GWS - 20K

Thats gonna hurt regardless how many members you have.

Will all those members sign on in 2020? 2021?

If we are bulletproof I assume we'll no longer have to sell home games?

Idiotic statement

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Football department is already under internal review. When you have your president commenting saying they've gone down to check it out, anyone with even 6 months corporate experience knows exactly what that means, even if the president puts a positive spin on it.

President is SIC. Pert is CEO. The President reports to the CEO.

You are delusional if you think there isn't already a review underway.

One of the most colossal failures in modern football history occuring right now.

Edited by praha

39 minutes ago, praha said:

Football department is already under internal review. When you have your president commenting saying they've gone down to check it out, anyone with even 6 months corporate experience knows exactly what that means, even if the president puts a positive spin on it.

President is SIC. Pert is CEO. The President reports to the CEO.

You are delusional if you think there isn't already a review underway.

One of the most colossal failures in modern football history occuring right now.

Has a preliminary finalist ever won the wooden spoon the following year in VFL/AFL history? Certainly not since the inception of the national competition that I can recall. You’d have to go a looooong way back into the archives. 

Don’t know if anyone had ever heard Plough Wallace do his ‘footy golf’ weekly ratings of each club on SEN. Basically he gives each of them a golf rating from triple bogie to par to albatross based not just on the win/loss but also on the relative ladder positions and mitigating factors of each side going into the round. You then end up with a rolling golf style leaderboard which is actually a very interesting way to view how each club and coach are faring vis-a-vis expectations heading into the season. Geelong are clear on top of course at about 6 under. A few surprise packets like Brisbane and Freo are under the card. Then you’ve got a big group in the middle between -2 and +2. Then your cellar dwellers Western Bulldogs, Carlton, North etc at 4 over. Melbourne are then a full SIX SHOTS ADRIFT OF THEM at +10. That’s how bad we’re going. 

It’s extraordinary. We haven’t seen an implosion like it in at least 40 years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matsuo Basho said:

Has a preliminary finalist ever won the wooden spoon the following year in VFL/AFL history? Certainly not since the inception of the national competition that I can recall. You’d have to go a looooong way back into the archives. 

Don’t know if anyone had ever heard Plough Wallace do his ‘footy golf’ weekly ratings of each club on SEN. Basically he gives each of them a golf rating from triple bogie to par to albatross based not just on the win/loss but also on the relative ladder positions and mitigating factors of each side going into the round. You then end up with a rolling golf style leaderboard which is actually a very interesting way to view how each club and coach are faring vis-a-vis expectations heading into the season. Geelong are clear on top of course at about 6 under. A few surprise packets like Brisbane and Freo are under the card. Then you’ve got a big group in the middle between -2 and +2. Then your cellar dwellers Western Bulldogs, Carlton, North etc at 4 over. Melbourne are then a full SIX SHOTS ADRIFT OF THEM at +10. That’s how bad we’re going. 

It’s extraordinary. We haven’t seen an implosion like it in at least 40 years.

We're looking at a complete rebuild. Quality teams have occasional "down" periods during small transitions. Geelong, Hawthorn, even Richmond on 2016, Collingwood for a few years prior to 2018. None completely and utterly bottomed out. 

The concern is we haven't bottomed out. We're "improving" yet somehow getting worse on a basic skill level.

When do we also start questioning Roos? I mean, if we are this bad, with so many of *his* draft picks playing, where does that put him?

Hunt

ANB

Stretch

Petracca

Oliver

Brayshaw

Omac

Salem

Weiderman

Smith

AVB

JKH

I mean, either we throw Goodwin under the bus here, or we back him in to rebuild and cut our losses on Roos' build.

Just looking over who we've picked up makes this year all the more astounding. And that's not including the likes of Hannan and Fritsch, or Melksham, Lever and May that Goodwin has brought in. Granted, injuries, but fmd.

Is this 2011 again? Are we really this bad? I can't understand this. 

The more I think about the more I think about how amateurish the club still. Only Melbourne could have players go in for surgery in the offseason, and be so underprepared that it tempting fate with another wooden spoon, halfway through the season, 10 months off from a Prelim.

What a pathetic organisation. 

Even if they are "reviewing" the debacle, I have zero faith in Bartlett and the club's ability to make any meaningful change. You can't just turn around a 50 year pathetic culture in one summer.

9 hours ago, stranga said:

Even if they are "reviewing" the debacle, I have zero faith in Bartlett and the club's ability to make any meaningful change. You can't just turn around a 50 year pathetic culture in one summer.

it's been 7 yrs.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, praha said:

We're looking at a complete rebuild. Quality teams have occasional "down" periods during small transitions. Geelong, Hawthorn, even Richmond on 2016, Collingwood for a few years prior to 2018. None completely and utterly bottomed out. 

The concern is we haven't bottomed out. We're "improving" yet somehow getting worse on a basic skill level.

When do we also start questioning Roos? I mean, if we are this bad, with so many of *his* draft picks playing, where does that put him? Hunt ANB Stretch Petracca Olive Brayshaw Omac Salem Weiderman Smith AVB JKH

I mean, either we throw Goodwin under the bus here, or we back him in to rebuild and cut our losses on Roos' build.

Just looking over who we've picked up makes this year all the more astounding. And that's not including the likes of Hannan and Fritsch, or Melksham, Lever and May that Goodwin has brought in. Granted, injuries, but fmd.

Is this 2011 again? Are we really this bad? I can't understand this. 

The more I think about the more I think about how amateurish the club still. Only Melbourne could have players go in for surgery in the offseason, and be so underprepared that it tempting fate with another wooden spoon, halfway through the season, 10 months off from a Prelim.

What a pathetic organisation.

I understand the frustration but it isn't 2011 again. 

Roos' goal was to build our midfield.   Remember we were the 'bruise free' team so he brought in competitive types, both high draft picks and recycled mature body players.  The mature players went within a few years of joining as youth came in.  But there were a few goodies like Vince and Cross.

Players like Frost, Hunt, ANB, AVB, Stretch, Oscar, JKH, Smith were all mid-late picks and were/are 'journeymen' or a bit better.  At different times they have played their role when injuries allow but only a couple would be in our best 22 when in premiership mode. 

Roos' also cleaned out a lot of 'dead wood' to save Goodwin the trouble, not the least of which the heartache of delisting Grimes and trying to trade Trengove.

So the midfield/on-ball types  Roos/Taylor recruited were:  Brayshaw, Oliver, Harmes, Petracca, Salem, Tyson.  Add those we had and that Roos kept:  Viney and Jones and he left us with a match winning midfield/on-ballers.  Now add the KPP he inherited but kept:  TomMc, Gawn, Watts, Hogan.  Add another KPF in Weidmen, a small forward in Garlett and a gem in Jetta (delisted and re-rookied by Roos). 

So imv Roos left us with a very good list, some outstanding talents, 14-16 players who are premiership material and good depth in a few areas.  There is only so much that can be done in 3 years when no-one wants to come to your club. 

The list had some gaps but Roos he is not responsible for the trading of picks or players since. 

Goodwin has had at least 3 years to improve and develop the list he inherited.  The recruits of note in his tenure:  Hibberd (in Roos last year but a captain's call by Goodwin), Melksham, Lever, May.  Others:  Petty, Sparrow, Hannan, Fritsch are still unknowns.   The latter group may well to turn out to be like the 'journeymen' Roos recuited:  Frost, Hunt, ANB, AVB, Stretch, Oscar, JKH, Smith.  Other 'captain calls' were the trades of Watts and Hogan.

Goodwin continued to recruit competitive types when we had enough but introduced a game plan that required skill and speed.  imv it is that incompatibility of Goodwin's game plan and inappropriate recruiting in his tenure that is a significant part of our problem today.  The answer:  change the players or change the game plan to fit the players we have.  I know which is easier.

The players are working their butts off but look confused and uncertain.  It shows in how they play.  imv with a few tweaks we have a talented list.  But we don't have the coaches and other football staff to maximise their talents. 

Top questions' for Pert to ask: 

• Who is responsible for the game plan? 
  • Why did the football department overseers (namely McPherson and Mahoney) not see or do something about the game plan not suiting the team?
  • Who signed off on the list decisions that did not recruit the speed and skill needed for the game plan?

If we are to rebuild it is the off-field football staff that need an overhaul.  Start with Mahoney.  No one should be immune not even favourite sons like Viney or experienced people like Taylor.  Not at all saying any should go but they should all be subject to a very critical review as they collectively failed badly.   Goodwin is the only one safe. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

I don’t know about others but I really feel I have been in this spot over and over again following Melbourne. I at least respect Bartlett for coming out and speaking but all you get are motherhood statements. If I hear Goodwin; Bartlett; Jones etc tell me how hard there all working one more time I will hit the wall. That shouldn’t even be in the discussion it a given. Also the continued reference to our poor pre season but no genuine reflection on how this occurred; why it occurred, who accountable and what is being done to ensure it doesn’t happen again. After round two Goodwin stated there were no excuses and they were all accountable but since then there has been nothing but excuses. The club seem to be in a comfortable place with a she will be right attitude and luck will turn our way and everything will be apples. They simply misread the supporter base who have had a gut full of platitudes and excuses. This season has been a catastrophe for hope and it reflect in crowd numbers. Head should roll and people held to account where not talking about a poor season but one that disastrous. People forget we have been through years of pain and a seven year rebuild so being nearly last is just so f***ed and unacceptable. This is beyond being patient if thing are just allowed to roll expect more mediocrity. I think we have been sold a house of cards and there is absolutely zero confidence that the return of some injured players can turn it around.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I understand the frustration but methinks this is a OTT.

Roos' goal was to build our midfield.   Remember we were the 'bruise free' team so he brought in competitive types, both high draft picks and recycled mature body players.  The mature players went within a few years of joining as youth came in.  But there were a few goodies like Vince and Cross.

Players like Frost, Hunt, ANB, AVB, Stretch, Oscar, JKH, Smith were all mid-late picks and were/are 'journeymen' or a bit better.  At different times they have played their role when injuries allow but only a couple would be in our best 22 when in premiership mode. 

Roos' also cleaned out a lot of 'dead wood' to save Goodwin the trouble, not the least of which the heartache of delisting Grimes and trying to trade Trengove.

So the midfield/on-ball types  Roos/Taylor recruited were:  Brayshaw, Oliver, Harmes, Petracca, Salem, Tyson.  Add those we had and that Roos kept:  Viney and Jones and he left us with a match winning midfield/on-ballers.  Now add the KPP he inherited but kept:  TomMc, Gawn, Watts, Hogan.  Add another KPF in Weidmen, a small forward in Garlett and a gem in Jetta (delisted and re-rookied by Roos). 

So imv Roos left us with an outstanding list with at at least a dozen players who are premiership material and good depth in a few areas.  There is only so much that can be done in 3 years when no-one wants to come to your club. 

The list had some gaps but Roos he is not responsible for the trading of picks or players since. 

Goodwin has had at least 3 years to improve and develop the list he inherited.  The recruits of note in Goodwin's tenure have been Hibberd (in Roos last year but a captain's call by Goodwin), Melksham, Lever, May.  Others:  Petty, Sparrow, Hannan, Fritsch are still unknowns.   They may well to turn out to be like the 'journeymen' Roos recuited:  Frost, Hunt, ANB, AVB, Stretch, Oscar, JKH, Smith.  Other 'captain calls' were the trades of Watts and Hogan.

Goodwin has continued to recruit competitive types when we already had enough but introduced a game plan that required skill and speed.  imv it is that incompatibility of game plan and recruiting that is a significant part of our problem today.  The answer:  change the team or change the game plan to fit the team.  I know which is easier.

The players are working their butts off but look confused and uncertain.  It shows in how they play.  imv with a few tweaks we have a talented list.  But we don't think we have the coaches and other football staff to maximise their talents. 

If we are to rebuild it is the off-field football staff that need an overhaul.  Perhaps starting with Mahoney.  No one should be immune not even favourite sons like Viney or loyal and hardworking people like Taylor.  Not at all saying any should go but they should all be subject to a very critical review as they collectively failed badly.   Goodwin is the only 'keeper' for mine. 

Why is Goodwin an ironclad ‘keeper’ if as you say he has developed a flawed gameplan that doesn’t suit the cattle at his disposal and no-one should be immune from review? The contract extension probably does rule out a change but his performance this year should nonetheless be scrutinised. To have the side’s finals aspirations basically snuffed out at the halfway mark of the season, leaving us with 10 dead rubbers to play is immensely damaging to the MFC brand, erasing so many of the gains made in recent times. 

I agree our recruiting has been average at best and the line coaching obviously suspect. And the Viney father-son nexus is something that should be looked at. Is it problematic in the context of making hard decisions at any given time? I look at the Silvagnis at Carlton and am not convinced at all that’s a healthy situation.

Review needed. By an outsider or combination of Bartlett/Pert and outsider but definitely not solely from within.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Matsuo Basho said:

Why is Goodwin an ironclad ‘keeper’ if as you say he has developed a flawed gameplan that doesn’t suit the cattle at his disposal and no-one should be immune from review? The contract extension probably does rule out a change but his performance this year should nonetheless be scrutinised. To have the side’s finals aspirations basically snuffed out at the halfway mark of the season, leaving us with 10 dead rubbers to play is immensely damaging to the MFC brand, erasing so many of the gains made in recent times. 

I agree our recruiting has been average at best and the line coaching obviously suspect. And the Viney father-son nexus is something that should be looked at. Is it problematic in the context of making hard decisions at any given time? I look at the Silvagnis at Carlton and am not convinced at all that’s a healthy situation.

Review needed. By an outsider or combination of Bartlett/Pert and outsider but definitely not solely from within.

By 'keeper' I did not mean Goodwin should not be reviewed.  On the contrary.  He deserves critical scrutiny not just for the game plan but also for his selection of assistant coaches and trade decisions.  I think he is a 'keeper' because he has a long-term contract and I really believe he has a lot to add if he had the right people managing him and on his coaching panel.  Also, I don't think there is anyone better out there.

I have little doubt the review is happening (see my earlier posts in this thread and I have noted I am ok with Pert doing the review as our problems are rather obvious).  In my experience it is unlikely he would be going solo and would likely be working one-on-one with an external consultant.  This is not unusual.  The external person stays in the background and helps assess Pert's findings and helps develop solutions, be they org structure, job descriptions and performance assessment of incumbents.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

Call me old fashioned but if the coaches were doing their jobs to a high standard this would not have happened. We would have been onto the chaos game after the Prelim last year. Anyone knows the game evolves every year and to expect to go into a new year with a plan that failed in 2018 at the pressure end of the season is unacceptable. And onto this year, goal kicking is an issue. So any coach who does not focus on goal kicking practice when that is an issue is incompetent. Then we can drill down. Who is the forward coach, find out and front him and ask why he did not demand more time for his forwards to practice goal kicking in training sessions at the expense of another drill. Target practice is a proven science, whether it be serving at tennis, putting at golf or shooting hoops. Practice makes you better. Is it any wonder we exert so much effort for so little scoreboard result. 

10 minutes ago, Sorry kids said:

Call me old fashioned but if the coaches were doing their jobs to a high standard this would not have happened. We would have been onto the chaos game after the Prelim last year. Anyone knows the game evolves every year and to expect to go into a new year with a plan that failed in 2018 at the pressure end of the season is unacceptable. And onto this year, goal kicking is an issue. So any coach who does not focus on goal kicking practice when that is an issue is incompetent. Then we can drill down. Who is the forward coach, find out and front him and ask why he did not demand more time for his forwards to practice goal kicking in training sessions at the expense of another drill. Target practice is a proven science, whether it be serving at tennis, putting at golf or shooting hoops. Practice makes you better. Is it any wonder we exert so much effort for so little scoreboard result. 

Is it really a question you should need to even ask a professionally paid AFL forward line coach? I mean it’s elementary and it’s embarrassing. It’s like asking a tennis stringer why he can’t string racquets properly or a mechanic why he can’t replace a carburettor.

Just politely move him on and get someone down there who actually understands forward craft and goal kicking mechanics. 

Ben Chaplin? FMD!

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Sorry kids said:

Is it that hard???

At last years Preliminary Final we were 0 Goals at half Time, playing Goodwin’s style. 

He says it wasn’t us. Yes it was, because we are still playing it now, and it is still not working. 

Why? Because other Clubs have pulled us apart fully...

Edited by Sir Why You Little
  • Like 1

One of the most disappointing aspects from my perspective is that the board were warned before the season started on the lack of pre season preparation due to injuries, and likely in field ramifications, but there was zero messaging coming out of the club on this front. Having invested in three premium memberships with GF guarantee, I feel like I’ve been sold a used car with a stuffed motor.

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, In Harmes Way said:

One of the most disappointing aspects from my perspective is that the board were warned before the season started on the lack of pre season preparation due to injuries, and likely in field ramifications, but there was zero messaging coming out of the club on this front. Having invested in three premium memberships with GF guarantee, I feel like I’ve been sold a used car with a stuffed motor.

Related image

“Have I got a bargain for you!”

Edited by Matsuo Basho

2 hours ago, In Harmes Way said:

Totally agree you have been sold a dud. Trust is hard earned but easily lost. How much will this cost the club next year.

45 minutes ago, Deesprate said:

Totally agree you have been sold a dud. Trust is hard earned but easily lost. How much will this cost the club next year.

That will be entirely worked out on how we finish the year. 

Win games  strongly in these last 10 and the damage will be minimal. 

But if we lose badly and give out weak excuses, it could be the tipping point of many. 

We must ride this club hard for the next 11 weeks, what it has done in 2019 is a disgrace and we must not let it rest meekly. 

The Culture of winning is still a long way of, but now there is no excuse, just hard work. New Leadership on the field, the sooner the better. 

Jones and Viney should step aside

5 hours ago, praha said:

it's been 7 yrs.

Not sure I follow. Since Roos rebuild? 

As far as im concerned its been 50 years of stop start failed rebuilds and poor coaching appointments. Also a losing culture causing squads to continuously fail to live up to expectations. Coupled with nomadic home base and lack of finances. This generation is headed in the same direction and I have zero faith that things can be changed this time around.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, praha said:

18 hours ago, Matsuo Basho said:

We haven’t seen an implosion like it in at least 40 years.

Haven’t read hyperbole like this in at least 40 years. 

You should google the Western Bulldogs - they won a flag recently and then dropped off the face of the earth and were never seen again. 

If we’re in the same position at the same time next year, sure, cue the melodrama, but calling for a total rebuild now is just plain silly. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Grapeviney said:

You should google the Western Bulldogs - they won a flag recently and then dropped off the face of the earth and were never seen again. 

If we’re in the same position at the same time next year, sure, cue the melodrama, but calling for a total rebuild now is just plain silly. 

Well I mean the Bulldogs won a flag. And never once looked even close to being the worst team in the league. It was a big drop in 2017 but it's been a steady decline. We've gone from top 4 and contenders, albeit without a flag, to what could very well be 18th, with the worst % halfway through the season. In the space of a few months.

I also said "one of". 

The Bulldogs failures of recent years don't come close to the [censored] that was Carlton from 2002-2007, or Richmond during the Wallace years.

At the moment as it stands we aren't just "in a slump". We may officially and firmly be the worst team in the league in 24 hours time. 

How is fact hyperbolic? It is a tremendous failure. When was the last time a flag favourite found itself dead last halfway through the season?

I'm sure most Bulldogs fans would be indifferent about their current position given what they achieved in 2016. Our greatest achievement has been to be *considered* a flag threat. And in typical Melbourne fashion, we are redefining what it means to be disappointed. 

Edited by praha
  • Like 1
  • Angry 1

Found Glen Bartletts AFL/WAFL stats online.  He was a defender turned full forward I believe.  Accuracy was 76.6% over his career.  Must be pulling his hair out.  We’d be 7-5 if we kicked like that.

I guess he played back in the day when full forwards had 100 shots at goal after every training session.

16 minutes ago, Grapeviney said:

A total rebuild of the playing list? No. The nucleus of a very good team is there. One or two hard decisions are going to have to be made though if that forward line is going to pass muster in 2020.

An extensive review and wholesale changes off the field? I think so. I would be very surprised if Pert doesn't give at least four assistant coaches taps on the shoulder and cast an eagle eye over the recruiting side of things as well. There are obvious holes in these areas that need some clear minded analysis from non-vested interest types.

Melbourne shouldn't get anywhere near the same slack that's been cut the WB. That piece of silverware shines brightly in the trophy cabinet for eternity. They made it to the top of the mountain. We got to base camp 2, sh.at in our snow overalls and turned back. 

• Like 1

I was fortunate enough to catch up with a former player midweek over a coffee who is well credentialed played 228 games and was part of the Daniher era. He remembered the good years (even numbered) followed by the bad years (odd numbers) and even now when that group reflect they cannot pinpoint what they did different between those seasons.

Is this a familiar theme and relevant now? They thought they did all the right things. They worked hard, hurt like hell with the losses, tried new stuff and had a few years with extra injuries to key players. Sound familiar!

Look back to last year and the remember the inexplicable losses and how with a favourable draw we made finals. For a 4 week period including the last 2 games and 2 finals we were red hot. The season itself suggested we had improved but were still flaky. This season we have been scrutinised much harder. Clarry has someone in his back pocket at all times, T Mac draws the best defender, teams know we can be cracked open on the outside, we cannot get our best 22 out on the park. Jones has struggled and had a poor pre season due to injury as did Viney all compounded by woeful inaccuracy that has cost us 2 games. Otherwise we would be about the same as we were last year at the halfway mark.

I am prepared to wait till seasons end to assess the entire year and what is needed to move forward.

As a start look at Collingwood and the role and contribution made by Treloar, Stephenson and Hosken-Elliot who are fast rangy runners and the latter two can take an overhead grab. Do we have this player in our team?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Older demon said:

I was fortunate enough to catch up with a former player midweek over a coffee who is well credentialed played 228 games and was part of the Daniher era. He remembered the good years (even numbered) followed by the bad years (odd numbers) and even now when that group reflect they cannot pinpoint what they did different between those seasons.

Is this a familiar theme and relevant now? They thought they did all the right things. They worked hard, hurt like hell with the losses, tried new stuff and had a few years with extra injuries to key players. Sound familiar!

Look back to last year and the remember the inexplicable losses and how with a favourable draw we made finals. For a 4 week period including the last 2 games and 2 finals we were red hot. The season itself suggested we had improved but were still flaky. This season we have been scrutinised much harder. Clarry has someone in his back pocket at all times, T Mac draws the best defender, teams know we can be cracked open on the outside, we cannot get our best 22 out on the park. Jones has struggled and had a poor pre season due to injury as did Viney all compounded by woeful inaccuracy that has cost us 2 games. Otherwise we would be about the same as we were last year at the halfway mark.

I am prepared to wait till seasons end to assess the entire year and what is needed to move forward.

As a start look at Collingwood and the role and contribution made by Treloar, Stephenson and Hosken-Elliot who are fast rangy runners and the latter two can take an overhead grab. Do we have this player in our team?

We have made some poor draft choices vs Pies e.g. Trelor is deadly, we let Josh Kelly & took Tyson who can't get a game at North & Salem whilst silky & good player would rather have Kelly. Wines angers me as we took Toumpas for what reason??? Wines was clearly what the club needed along with viney. These blunders continue to happen @ the MFC, may be easy in hind set but its happened too many times. Goodwin needs to have a plan B as we are getting chopped up on the outside & get scored way too easy!

• Like 1

Collingwood didn't draft any of Treloar, Kelly or Wines.  Poor comparison.  Almost a good username, though!

• Haha 1