Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

52 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Gawn for me next year.

I posted this in another thread about the co-captaincy  last night,  probably more appropriate here.......

I remember Jones being blind-sided, but then ``warmed`` to the idea.

From the outside looking in, I don`t think he ever warmed to it and there are lingering side-effects on show to this day. I was told 2 years ago by a former player that Viney was more concerned about his own form than being a leader. Maybe he has grown since then but he hasnt exactly been on the park for much of the past 2 years.

In my opinion both of them need to go and Gawn needs to be made sole Captain, appointed by the coach. His speech at the BnF last year was enough to tell me he is a true leader, he talks the talk BUT he walks the walk.

I don`t think Jones nor Viney are natural leaders.  Steven May has shown more onfield leadership (in the few games he has played) than either of these blokes this year. 

Clean slate next year or its rinse and repeat, bet your bottom dollar.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hell Bent said:

I posted this in another thread about the co-captaincy  last night,  probably more appropriate here.......

I remember Jones being blind-sided, but then ``warmed`` to the idea.

From the outside looking in, I don`t think he ever warmed to it and there are lingering side-effects on show to this day. I was told 2 years ago by a former player that Viney was more concerned about his own form than being a leader. Maybe he has grown since then but he hasnt exactly been on the park for much of the past 2 years.

In my opinion both of them need to go and Gawn needs to be made sole Captain, appointed by the coach. His speech at the BnF last year was enough to tell me he is a true leader, he talks the talk BUT he walks the walk.

I don`t think Jones nor Viney are natural leaders.  Steven May has shown more onfield leadership (in the few games he has played) than either of these blokes this year. 

Clean slate next year or its rinse and repeat, bet your bottom dollar.

The best post I've read on this issue. Including the May opinion. 

• Like 3

Probably get howled down for this but

why not May for captain if he comes back with the correct skin folds ?

he does not take a back ward step, goes hard at it !  And he had some experience .

3 minutes ago, 640MD said:

he does not take a back ward step, goes hard at it !  And he had some experience .

And he spends the majority of the year on the treatment table. Perfect

Just now, leucopogon said:

And he spends the majority of the year on the treatment table. Perfect

Or suspended.

We need a captain who plays most matches, and plays at a consistently high level. Inspiration is something we have lacked for too long. Drag the players along with you and lead by example.

No injury-plagued or inconsistent players should be considered.

Likely won't be this, but my personal preference would be:

Captain - Gawn

Vice - Lever, Melksham

Rest of LG - May, Viney

Gives us a captain or vc in the middle and each end, which to me is important as it designates someone to direct. Jetta out to focus on his game, similar with Jones although chances are he may see some VFL time anyway.

3 'directional' leaders as the heads, 2 more 'intent' leaders to fill out the group.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, 640MD said:

May should be the number one project for Darren Hughes. Get him playing weekly and in charge of Defence...

May is a Leader, but must get much fitter before he takes on any roles apart from his primary job. 

19 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

May should be the number one project for Darren Hughes. Get him playing weekly and in charge of Defence...

May is a Leader, but must get much fitter before he takes on any roles apart from his primary job. 

can only agree   as a  captain prospect or not, as the case may be.   But his old club thought he had enough credentials   there must be some leadership qualities there.  Might need a swift kick up the .......  but he might surprise, but others are correct   no damn good suspended or out injured.    Not looking forward to the last game,   who is going to provide the on field leadership to make this game anything  but an afternoon stroll in the park for norf.   Unfortunately not either of our Co captains for various reasons one too old  the other needing to focus on his own game to benefit the club.    Someone needs to surprise us supporters, though most here have been surprised how bad we have become this year !

23 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Captain - Gawn

Vice - Lever, Melksham

Rest of LG - May, Viney

Gives us a captain or vc in the middle and each end, which to me is important as it designates someone to direct. Jetta out to focus on his game, similar with Jones although chances are he may see some VFL time anyway.

3 'directional' leaders as the heads, 2 more 'intent' leaders to fill out the group.

I like your thinking here Nev. Have had discussions with others about the importance of having leaders in each third of the ground which is similar the Hawks model in their prime.

Totally agree on Gawn as captain and after hearing Melkshams interview after the swans game I could see him being a VC. The raw emotion in his voice was clear that he was crushed by the result  (I never quite get that feeling from Jones or Viney), and just something about the way he spoke said to me that he could have something that we currently lack.

If anyone hasn’t seen it, watch it here:

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2019-08-16/its-bloody-hard-melksham

• Like 3

11 hours ago, —coach— said:

The raw emotion in his voice was clear that he was crushed by the result  (I never quite get that feeling from Jones or Viney), and just something about the way he spoke said to me that he could have something that we currently lack.

If anyone hasn’t seen it, watch it here:

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2019-08-16/its-bloody-hard-melksham

Not sure it’s thete in the coaching box either.

I know it’s in the supporter base on our side of the fence. 

Wish I could sit there without being upset, it might make the next couple of hours better.  I understand that emotion in the coaches box on watching from over the fence has no impact on what happens on field. But I would prefer some emotional response from Goodwin  it might resonate with most on Demonland and other sites

Great to see this thread pop up again, it's probably more relevant than it has been all year. The game on Friday night was putrid. It needed our captains to stand up and send the message that we are not just going to fold.

We needed some pride!

Still think Gawn for C and Lever/May for VC. I know May's fitness has been raised, and it has definitely been an issue this year, but I've got the feeling it's the result of his poor preseason. With a good preseason, he'll be right. I don't remember this issue being so pronounced at GC.

Having said that, I think Melksham is another good option. Always like looks he tries his guts out, seems switched on. 

Needless to say, this club needs a leader. I did not feel like there was one on Friday night (which is especially sad because we have TWO!)

Edited by RedButMostlyBlue
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, DemonLad5 said:

Gawn deserves the role

If Lever could get in the park more I'd be comfortable with him sharing it with Max. He's been fantastic since coming back IMO

I think Lever has been great. Must be so difficult to come back from such a significant injury, and rebuild your confidence, given how innocuous the events leading to an ACL can be. I think with a good preseason (something he didn't get this year), he'll be a million bucks next year, and his leadership will be invaluable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RedButMostlyBlue said:

I think Lever has been great. Must be so difficult to come back from such a significant injury, and rebuild your confidence, given how innocuous the events leading to an ACL can be. I think with a good preseason (something he didn't get this year), he'll be a million bucks next year, and his leadership will be invaluable.

People who are doubting the Lever trade honestly frustrate me. 

Those 2 picks ended up being 10 and 19. That turned out to be Lochie O'Brian and Liam Stocker

Who comes back from an ACL and is an AA calibre player straight away? A strong pre-season with Burgess working with him will do wonders. Lever is going to be a great player for our club for a long time. Seemed to be one of the few who have really had a dip in the last few weeks

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/17/2019 at 9:29 PM, Lord Nev said:

Captain - Gawn

Vice - Lever, Melksham

Rest of LG - May, Viney

Why Lever for a leadership role?

Because he was so expensive?

Sorry, but there’s no way he’s earned a vice-captaincy. I feel the same way about May. Though I’m hopeful both players end up being highly-prized assets for the MFC, people seem to think their ascendancy is complete because they show glimpses of top-tier form. Far from it, they both need to have a consistent season next year to be even considered for such a role, otherwise the title is just cheapened. 

Gawn for captain. 

Vice captaincy should fall to either:

Melksham, Salem, Petracca or Fritsch. 

In other words, players who have demonstrated both the necessary skill AND commitment to the club. Guys who have paid their dues. 

(Clarry was a consideration for my mind as vice-captain, right up until that pretty disappointing display last Friday). 

Edited by Mel Bourne

On 8/17/2019 at 8:16 PM, Demon Disciple said:

i know that people in glass houses....................... but it could be worse. We could have Tex as our captain.

Don't wish that upon us DD!  Terrible captain material.

And knowing the  MFC we would probably end up getting suckered in to taking him and his mate, old concrete boots Jenkins, on massive coin.  They'll then get mostly injured with concussion or foot issues after playing about 20 games between them, retire shortly after, then sue the club for damages claiming negligence.

33 minutes ago, DemonLad5 said:

Gawn deserves the role

If Lever could get in the park more I'd be comfortable with him sharing it with Max. He's been fantastic since coming back IMO

Please, no more co-captains. 

A completely unnecessary practice that brings nothing tangible except the threat of factions. 

• Like 2

I think Max does enough and doesn't need the burden of captaining. That and he doesnt really show the on field generalship expected of a captain, although he certainly leads by example with his effort and output. Just let Max do what he does best - play great footy. 

Lever for mine. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Smokey said:

I think Max does enough and doesn't need the burden of captaining. That and he doesnt really show the on field generalship expected of a captain, although he certainly leads by example with his effort and output. Just let Max do what he does best - play great footy. 

Lever for mine. 

Agreed. There’s a very solid argument to let Max off the hook. Particularly if he doesn’t want the job. I’m friends with a recently-retired AFL captain, and he dodged and weaved the responsibility as long as he possibly could - it’s not as relished an opportunity as a lot of people believe. 

Melksham, then. 

And don’t get me wrong; I’m not a Lever-basher by any stretch (I guess I’m a be-Lever?). Very hopeful. Same goes with May. But I just haven’t seen anything from either of them (at this club) yet, that justifies such an expeditious rise to the top. 

2 minutes ago, Mel Bourne said:

Agreed. There’s a very solid argument to let Max off the hook. Particularly if he doesn’t want the job. I’m friends with a recently-retired AFL captain, and he dodged and weaved the responsibility as long as he possibly could - it’s not as relished an opportunity as a lot of people believe. 

Melksham, then. 

And don’t get me wrong; I’m not a Lever-basher by any stretch (I guess I’m a be-Lever?). Very hopeful. Same goes with May. But I just haven’t seen anything from either of them (at this club) yet, that justifies such an expeditious rise to the top. 

Fair point. Lever has obviously struggled since the knee issues, but one thing I constantly see when hes on the park is him barking orders at other players. Jones and Viney are seemingly incapable of doing this, probably because they don't have the footy IQ to direct play. 

Sure, Lever would be a risk to promote as the knee could go again, but the last thing we need is more captains like Jones and Viney. I don't actually mind the Melksham suggestion either tbh. May is obviously another good option, but I reckon we should be looking for a captain that has 7-8 years left in them, not 3-4. Stability is desperately needed everywhere in our team, and captaincy is no exception. 

28 minutes ago, Mel Bourne said:

Why Lever for a leadership role?

Because he was so expensive?

Sorry, but there’s no way he’s earned a vice-captaincy. I feel the same way about May. Though I’m hopeful both players end up being highly-prized assets for the MFC, people seem to think their ascendancy is complete because they show glimpses of top-tier form. Far from it, they both need to have a consistent season next year to be even considered for such a role, otherwise the title is just cheapened. 

Gawn for captain. 

Vice captaincy should fall to either:

Melksham, Salem, Petracca or Fritsch. 

In other words, players who have demonstrated both the necessary skill AND commitment to the club. Guys who have paid their dues. 

(Clarry was a consideration for my mind as vice-captain, right up until that pretty disappointing display last Friday). 

Because he's clearly already a leader at the club, it's noticeable both at training and during games. He's a directional leader as well which is what we desperately need. Nothing to do with with salary or trade cost.

'Skill' has nothing to do with leadership. You're clearly just listing players who have played well this year. Leaders don't need to be your most skilled players.

Its Gawn for Captain and then

May VC   He has the hard edge to compliment Max

Melksham Lever and Viney to round it out. I have Viney in so he can continue to learn about leadership.