Jump to content

  • Podcast: Grand Final Preview      

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview & Grand Final Preview      

Josh Dunkley



Recommended Posts


45 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

I believe he’s out of contact at the end of 2019.

Perhaps the Demons should consider a family reunification programme because brother Kyle looks like a long term prospect.

Not so silly. 

When Kyle was drafted his dad was asked who he would barrack for if the demons played bulldogs and both sons were playing.  He was a bit surprised and said something like 'maybe one day they will play for the same team'. 

Dad has opened the door!

Either way, I'm delighted we have young Kyle.  And we got him for zip!!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Name one attribute he possesses that our side needs? 

These sibling threads are cringe worthy. Nobody would be talking about him if his brother wasn't at our club. Why?

Because he offers our list absolutely nothing. 

Really? Really?...

41 disposals, 10 tackles, 10 score involvements. ie. gets the ball, creates pressure and gives the ball off for scores

I'd say he offers more than about half of our list. 

Josh Dunkley is a good footballer. We'd be lucky to get him.

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Josh Dunkley won’t be on the trade table.  Let’s move on.  

If anything, we need to know what we want for Kyle going to the dogs. Will be hard to negotiate a good draft pick from a mid season draft (assuming not good enough to go in the preceding national draft)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Josh Dunkley won’t be on the trade table.  Let’s move on.  

Wouldn’t hurt to leave his manager a text, although I think the Dogs would want to keep him. Out of contract season’s end and wouldn’t be a bad choice for a mid/forward position. Melksham turns 28 this year, Dunkley could easily fit that role imo for years to come. 

Not as good as Jake in field kicking, but can snag a goal from nowhere also.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Really? Really?...

41 disposals, 10 tackles, 10 score involvements. ie. gets the ball, creates pressure and gives the ball off for scores

I'd say he offers more than about half of our list. 

Josh Dunkley is a good footballer. We'd be lucky to get him.

 

DO you or any other poster believe that our midfield group don't win enough ball? Because I don't. We win plenty of ball. 

There's an obsession with numbers for many football watchers. Are you one? What will Dunkley do to address our glaringly obvious weaknesses? 

How many times did Dunkley damage Carlton last night with each one of those disposals vs bang it on the boot forward from a stoppage?

What does he give us in terms of run, speed, outside positioning, footskills, decision making? 

Did you even watch the game? 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Wouldn’t hurt to leave his manager a text, although I think the Dogs would want to keep him. Out of contract season’s end and wouldn’t be a bad choice for a mid/forward position. Melksham turns 28 this year, Dunkley could easily fit that role imo for years to come. 

Not as good as Jake in field kicking, but can snag a goal from nowhere also.

Dunkley and Melksham are nothing alike as players. 

This joint is as much of a shambles as our side atm. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

 

DO you or any other poster believe that our midfield group don't win enough ball? Because I don't. We win plenty of ball. 

There's an obsession with numbers for many football watchers. Are you one? What will Dunkley do to address our glaringly obvious weaknesses? 

How many times did Dunkley damage Carlton last night with each one of those disposals vs bang it on the boot forward from a stoppage?

What does he give us in terms of run, speed, outside positioning, footskills, decision making? 

Did you even watch the game? 

 

Five times better than Viney who only has one trick tackling...

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Dunkley and Melksham are nothing alike as players. 

This joint is as much of a shambles as our side atm. 

Shambles because we have a different opinion, fair enough. I never suggested they are alike, I can see Dunkley offering a little more than nothing as you suggest especially up forward.

He’s done well early in his career playing as a forward and can take a contested mark, something we lack. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dogs fans are uneasy about Dunkley not being signed, especially with free agent Libba signing on last week and taking up a bit of the cap.  

I have no insider information other than if they’re concerned, I’m interested.  On form would be in our top five players this year.

On a side note, their father Andrew said on his mid season draft interview that he wanted/hoped to see the boys play together someday... made it all a bit awkward.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, stevethemanjordan said:

 

DO you or any other poster believe that our midfield group don't win enough ball? Because I don't. We win plenty of ball. 

There's an obsession with numbers for many football watchers. Are you one? What will Dunkley do to address our glaringly obvious weaknesses? 

How many times did Dunkley damage Carlton last night with each one of those disposals vs bang it on the boot forward from a stoppage?

What does he give us in terms of run, speed, outside positioning, footskills, decision making? 

Did you even watch the game? 

 

Of course I did. Don't be so condescending. And I watched his impressive 2016 finals. 

Stats are incredibly useful, clubs put a lot of time into gathering them. Do you not take any notice of numbers?

Josh Dunkley is only 22. Had a ripper of a finals series in his first year at 19. He's a tackling, goal kicking mid that is still learning and from what I understand is very teachable. He averages nearly 6 tackles in his short career, ffs!

He certainly wouldn't be our best mid, but offers more than many of our mids/small forwards, perhaps except Clarry, Gus, Harmes, Melk and Trac. Based on this year's form, it could easily be argued that he has more to offer than Viney. Of course he's different than Viney, not apples with apples.

Dunkley would get a game in 2019 above Jones, Spargo, Jeffy, ANB, Stretch, JKH and Hannan. If he had more time in the f50 he would kick goals, something our mids and small forwards are not doing.

His brother being at the club is of little relevance, other than a drawcard should we sound him out

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/16/2019 at 11:26 AM, Moonshadow said:

Of course I did. Don't be so condescending. And I watched his impressive 2016 finals. 

Stats are incredibly useful, clubs put a lot of time into gathering them. Do you not take any notice of numbers?

Josh Dunkley is only 22. Had a ripper of a finals series in his first year at 19. He's a tackling, goal kicking mid that is still learning and from what I understand is very teachable. He averages nearly 6 tackles in his short career, ffs!

He certainly wouldn't be our best mid, but offers more than many of our mids/small forwards, perhaps except Clarry, Gus, Harmes, Melk and Trac. Based on this year's form, it could easily be argued that he has more to offer than Viney. Of course he's different than Viney, not apples with apples.

Dunkley would get a game in 2019 above Jones, Spargo, Jeffy, ANB, Stretch, JKH and Hannan. If he had more time in the f50 he would kick goals, something our mids and small forwards are not doing.

His brother being at the club is of little relevance, other than a drawcard should we sound him out

I agree with most of this, he's a very good player but I think you're overstating his potential as a forward. If Josh came out and said he wanted to play for us absolutely I'd take him. But as a whole I have agree with @stevethemanjordan. He just offer a big enough point of difference to what we have.

If someone like Brayshaw turned and said he was going to go play with his brother at Freo, then you'd have my attention. Josh would be a perfect replacement. But our midfield is pretty settled and has decent depth. We need genuine forwards, not midfielders who we put in the forward line

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ArtificialWisdom said:

I agree with most of this, he's a very good player but I think you're overstating his potential as a forward. If Josh came out and said he wanted to play for us absolutely I'd take him. But as a whole I have agree with @stevethemanjordan. He just offer a big enough point of difference to what we have.

If someone like Brayshaw turned and said he was going to go play with his brother at Freo, then you'd have my attention. Josh would be a perfect replacement. But our midfield is pretty settled and has decent depth. We need genuine forwards, not midfielders who we put in the forward line

I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment AW, we do need genuine forwards. But good teams also have goal kicking mids. Did you see the goal he kicked in the 1st quarter vs Carlton? Gets into good position. Who are our goal kicking mids currently?

And where is this midfield depth in 2020? We have Oliver, Gus, Harmes, and the perennially injured Viney. Possibly it could be said Trac and Salem could run through the midfield, though Trac doesn't set the world on fire wherever he plays and Salem's best footy has been down back. Apart from that, it's a bunch of others who either are too young to know (2018 draftees, Spargo, Baker, Maynard), too old/injured to keep (Jones, AVB) or would struggle to get on a list elsewhere (Stretch, JKH, ANB).

Our midfield depth is a myth imo.

Dunkley would be in our best 5 mids.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would gladly take him as he's proving to be a gun midfielder, but he would cost a first round pick or Brayshaw/Petracca. We're not allowed to trade our first round pick this year. Our top priority should be targeting a forward, not another average paced midfielder.

I wouldn't trade Brayshaw for him. Like for like and Brayshaws 2018 showed what he can be for us.

I would however trade Petracca for him. Dunkleys 2019 is better than anything Trac has produced to date, and Trac is struggling as a forward. We could cash in before his value drops further, but I don't think this trade would ever happen.

Unfortunately I don't see Josh Dunkley coming to us. He's one of the Dogs best players and will get a big pay rise come end of the year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

    What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY by Whispering Jack

    When the combatants that are due to face off on Monday night at Optus Stadium last met, it was 11 days after the World Health Organization had declared the Covid19 outbreak a global pandemic. In Australia, the first cases had just come to light, including visiting US actors Tom Hanks and wife Rita Wilson, the toilet paper panic was in full flight and the world was starting to reel in anticipation of impending disaster. Half an hour before this last game of the opening round was due to comme

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...