Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Whispering_Jack

Josh Dunkley

Recommended Posts

I believe he’s out of contact at the end of 2019.

Perhaps the Demons should consider a family reunification programme because brother Kyle looks like a long term prospect.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

I believe he’s out of contact at the end of 2019.

Perhaps the Demons should consider a family reunification programme because brother Kyle looks like a long term prospect.

Not so silly. 

When Kyle was drafted his dad was asked who he would barrack for if the demons played bulldogs and both sons were playing.  He was a bit surprised and said something like 'maybe one day they will play for the same team'. 

Dad has opened the door!

Either way, I'm delighted we have young Kyle.  And we got him for zip!!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It wouldn't hurt to ask the question

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Josh has 15 disposals tonight v Carlton and it’s only quarter time.

#unitethefamily

#reunitethefamily@Mfc

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Name one attribute he possesses that our side needs? 

These sibling threads are cringe worthy. Nobody would be talking about him if his brother wasn't at our club. Why?

Because he offers our list absolutely nothing. 

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Name one attribute he possesses that our side needs? 

These sibling threads are cringe worthy. Nobody would be talking about him if his brother wasn't at our club. Why?

Because he offers our list absolutely nothing. 

Really? Really?...

41 disposals, 10 tackles, 10 score involvements. ie. gets the ball, creates pressure and gives the ball off for scores

I'd say he offers more than about half of our list. 

Josh Dunkley is a good footballer. We'd be lucky to get him.

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Josh Dunkley won’t be on the trade table.  Let’s move on.  

If anything, we need to know what we want for Kyle going to the dogs. Will be hard to negotiate a good draft pick from a mid season draft (assuming not good enough to go in the preceding national draft)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Josh Dunkley won’t be on the trade table.  Let’s move on.  

Wouldn’t hurt to leave his manager a text, although I think the Dogs would want to keep him. Out of contract season’s end and wouldn’t be a bad choice for a mid/forward position. Melksham turns 28 this year, Dunkley could easily fit that role imo for years to come. 

Not as good as Jake in field kicking, but can snag a goal from nowhere also.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Really? Really?...

41 disposals, 10 tackles, 10 score involvements. ie. gets the ball, creates pressure and gives the ball off for scores

I'd say he offers more than about half of our list. 

Josh Dunkley is a good footballer. We'd be lucky to get him.

 

DO you or any other poster believe that our midfield group don't win enough ball? Because I don't. We win plenty of ball. 

There's an obsession with numbers for many football watchers. Are you one? What will Dunkley do to address our glaringly obvious weaknesses? 

How many times did Dunkley damage Carlton last night with each one of those disposals vs bang it on the boot forward from a stoppage?

What does he give us in terms of run, speed, outside positioning, footskills, decision making? 

Did you even watch the game? 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Wouldn’t hurt to leave his manager a text, although I think the Dogs would want to keep him. Out of contract season’s end and wouldn’t be a bad choice for a mid/forward position. Melksham turns 28 this year, Dunkley could easily fit that role imo for years to come. 

Not as good as Jake in field kicking, but can snag a goal from nowhere also.

Dunkley and Melksham are nothing alike as players. 

This joint is as much of a shambles as our side atm. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

 

DO you or any other poster believe that our midfield group don't win enough ball? Because I don't. We win plenty of ball. 

There's an obsession with numbers for many football watchers. Are you one? What will Dunkley do to address our glaringly obvious weaknesses? 

How many times did Dunkley damage Carlton last night with each one of those disposals vs bang it on the boot forward from a stoppage?

What does he give us in terms of run, speed, outside positioning, footskills, decision making? 

Did you even watch the game? 

 

Five times better than Viney who only has one trick tackling...

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Dunkley and Melksham are nothing alike as players. 

This joint is as much of a shambles as our side atm. 

Shambles because we have a different opinion, fair enough. I never suggested they are alike, I can see Dunkley offering a little more than nothing as you suggest especially up forward.

He’s done well early in his career playing as a forward and can take a contested mark, something we lack. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dogs fans are uneasy about Dunkley not being signed, especially with free agent Libba signing on last week and taking up a bit of the cap.  

I have no insider information other than if they’re concerned, I’m interested.  On form would be in our top five players this year.

On a side note, their father Andrew said on his mid season draft interview that he wanted/hoped to see the boys play together someday... made it all a bit awkward.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, stevethemanjordan said:

 

DO you or any other poster believe that our midfield group don't win enough ball? Because I don't. We win plenty of ball. 

There's an obsession with numbers for many football watchers. Are you one? What will Dunkley do to address our glaringly obvious weaknesses? 

How many times did Dunkley damage Carlton last night with each one of those disposals vs bang it on the boot forward from a stoppage?

What does he give us in terms of run, speed, outside positioning, footskills, decision making? 

Did you even watch the game? 

 

Of course I did. Don't be so condescending. And I watched his impressive 2016 finals. 

Stats are incredibly useful, clubs put a lot of time into gathering them. Do you not take any notice of numbers?

Josh Dunkley is only 22. Had a ripper of a finals series in his first year at 19. He's a tackling, goal kicking mid that is still learning and from what I understand is very teachable. He averages nearly 6 tackles in his short career, ffs!

He certainly wouldn't be our best mid, but offers more than many of our mids/small forwards, perhaps except Clarry, Gus, Harmes, Melk and Trac. Based on this year's form, it could easily be argued that he has more to offer than Viney. Of course he's different than Viney, not apples with apples.

Dunkley would get a game in 2019 above Jones, Spargo, Jeffy, ANB, Stretch, JKH and Hannan. If he had more time in the f50 he would kick goals, something our mids and small forwards are not doing.

His brother being at the club is of little relevance, other than a drawcard should we sound him out

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

 

#unitethefamily

The Doggies might be thinking the same thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dunkley to debut this week is my take!!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, picket fence said:

Dunkley to debut this week is my take!!

It is possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2019 at 11:26 AM, Moonshadow said:

Of course I did. Don't be so condescending. And I watched his impressive 2016 finals. 

Stats are incredibly useful, clubs put a lot of time into gathering them. Do you not take any notice of numbers?

Josh Dunkley is only 22. Had a ripper of a finals series in his first year at 19. He's a tackling, goal kicking mid that is still learning and from what I understand is very teachable. He averages nearly 6 tackles in his short career, ffs!

He certainly wouldn't be our best mid, but offers more than many of our mids/small forwards, perhaps except Clarry, Gus, Harmes, Melk and Trac. Based on this year's form, it could easily be argued that he has more to offer than Viney. Of course he's different than Viney, not apples with apples.

Dunkley would get a game in 2019 above Jones, Spargo, Jeffy, ANB, Stretch, JKH and Hannan. If he had more time in the f50 he would kick goals, something our mids and small forwards are not doing.

His brother being at the club is of little relevance, other than a drawcard should we sound him out

I agree with most of this, he's a very good player but I think you're overstating his potential as a forward. If Josh came out and said he wanted to play for us absolutely I'd take him. But as a whole I have agree with @stevethemanjordan. He just offer a big enough point of difference to what we have.

If someone like Brayshaw turned and said he was going to go play with his brother at Freo, then you'd have my attention. Josh would be a perfect replacement. But our midfield is pretty settled and has decent depth. We need genuine forwards, not midfielders who we put in the forward line

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ArtificialWisdom said:

I agree with most of this, he's a very good player but I think you're overstating his potential as a forward. If Josh came out and said he wanted to play for us absolutely I'd take him. But as a whole I have agree with @stevethemanjordan. He just offer a big enough point of difference to what we have.

If someone like Brayshaw turned and said he was going to go play with his brother at Freo, then you'd have my attention. Josh would be a perfect replacement. But our midfield is pretty settled and has decent depth. We need genuine forwards, not midfielders who we put in the forward line

I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment AW, we do need genuine forwards. But good teams also have goal kicking mids. Did you see the goal he kicked in the 1st quarter vs Carlton? Gets into good position. Who are our goal kicking mids currently?

And where is this midfield depth in 2020? We have Oliver, Gus, Harmes, and the perennially injured Viney. Possibly it could be said Trac and Salem could run through the midfield, though Trac doesn't set the world on fire wherever he plays and Salem's best footy has been down back. Apart from that, it's a bunch of others who either are too young to know (2018 draftees, Spargo, Baker, Maynard), too old/injured to keep (Jones, AVB) or would struggle to get on a list elsewhere (Stretch, JKH, ANB).

Our midfield depth is a myth imo.

Dunkley would be in our best 5 mids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would gladly take him as he's proving to be a gun midfielder, but he would cost a first round pick or Brayshaw/Petracca. We're not allowed to trade our first round pick this year. Our top priority should be targeting a forward, not another average paced midfielder.

I wouldn't trade Brayshaw for him. Like for like and Brayshaws 2018 showed what he can be for us.

I would however trade Petracca for him. Dunkleys 2019 is better than anything Trac has produced to date, and Trac is struggling as a forward. We could cash in before his value drops further, but I don't think this trade would ever happen.

Unfortunately I don't see Josh Dunkley coming to us. He's one of the Dogs best players and will get a big pay rise come end of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...