Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 12 vs Collingwood

Skin Deeamond

14 hours ago, Superunknown said:

I think we can do without them both until r1 2020

cough cough high draft picks

I'd rather we field our best side and win most games in the second half of the season and finish in 9th place with our best team getting used to playing together than not have this and recieve a top 3 draft pick. 

• Like 2

In: May, Hore, Salem and maybe Lockhart 

out: take your pick of Wagner, Stretch, JKH, Spargo, Garlett, Hannan (not ready).

No Lewis please and no Lever with less than a full game.

Who plays on the wing is one of the biggest challenges this week. Baker will not have the fitness to play big minutes on Phillips or Sidebottom, he needs to rotate through the wings in spurts.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2019 at 7:45 AM, Stormy Dee said:

Out: Oscar Macdonald, Tom Macdonald, Spargo, Kennedy-Harris, Stretch, Wagner.

In: Preuss, May, Lever, Salem, Neal-Bullen, Hore.

Garlett lucky. Nobody left to replace him!

Out:  Oscar, Tommy, Spargo, Wags

All are either horribly out of form and showing no signs of regaining it (Tommy), not the future of the club in terms of winning a premiership in a premiership window (which will close in the blink of an eye) or depth at best.

In:  May (for Oscar), Pruess (for Tommy), Lockhart (for Spargo) & Lever (for Wags).

As you say, Jeffy stays for now only because there is no other (AFL ready) alternative at this point.  JKH and Stretch also depth only but again, need other alternatives which aren't on offer at Casey.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

All are either horribly out of form and showing no signs of regaining it (Tommy), not the future of the club in terms of winning a premiership in a premiership window (which will close in the blink of an eye) or depth at best.

In:  May (for Oscar), Pruess (for Tommy), Lockhart (for Spargo) & Lever (for Wags).

As you say, Jeffy stays for now only because there is no other (AFL ready) alternative at this point.  JKH and Stretch also depth only but again, need other alternatives which aren't on offer at Casey.

I am nodding in agreement RN.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

Getting May and Lever back one week to late.   Had they played vs Crows we win, and we would have marched towards the finals.

Typical of the MFC curse.

Lever said himself that he couldn’t run and took himself off the track before that match so ??‍♂️

53 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I thought of Isaac Smith. But whether I was just dreaming that I hoped he would becomes like Smith or whether I thought he actually reminds me of him is more difficult to discern.

He reminds me of Carlton and Bulldogs Phil Maylin.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I'm always amused at number of posters who want a player's return from injury delayed another week based on no insight. It's like scans, GPS results and the player's conversation with the medical team are all valueless. How would we know whether any player's treatment and return date are either aggressive or conservative?

Just checking - this is an MfC thread not related to hawthorn 

1 hour ago, Rusty Nails said:

You must be both uneducated and delusional if you think they will drop Tmac. Thanks goodness you have no say in our selection process. 

Drop garlett? He kicks 3.2 and has his best game to 2 years and you want to drop him. 

You have no idea... 

• Like 1

On 6/2/2019 at 12:34 PM, dazzledavey36 said:

IN: May, Salem, Hore

OUTS: Wagner, Spargo, Oscar

May, Salem and Hore come in and add much needed experience and intercept marking down back along with Salem who will give us much needed drive and composure. 

I'm  still in the camp that they won't risk Lever after limited match fitness. In fact i dont think he even trained last week?

Which our season officially over, it is now time to just get games into Weideman. Their were glimpses last night that showed the Weideman of old from last year finals campaign. We need to go into next year knowing that Weideman will be nearing that 50 game mark but also start to build a working relationship with McDonald.

I put Mitch Hannan in the same boat, lets just get him AFL match fit because we have seen what he is capable of and adds such a whole new dimension to our forward line with his speed and tackling pressure.

I know some were anti JKH last night, but i thought for someone in his 2nd game of footy on the back  of 9 weeks off he was qood in patches, he was rusty at times but was also able to lay 6 tackles. In fact he topped our tackle count along with Jack Viney.

Nailed it part 1.

23 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

Disagree. If Garlett played all year at his current standard he’d bank another 40 goals like he does every season and be our leading goal kicker... again. I’ll take a bloke who hits the scoreboard every week and generates opportunities over a bloke who hits the scoreboard once a month and doesn’t create opportunities.

On form, Spargo is the least effective player in the AFL. I was a fan when he was drafted and last year, but this season he has been beyond pathetic. At least Garlett kicked three goals and set two other goals up last night.

Spargo needs to add more strings to his bow if he’s going to survive and have a career with us because he’s currently a small forward who doesn’t score, doesn’t tackle and doesn’t find ball. He needs to work on his game at VFL level and cannot be carried anymore.

Nailed it part 2.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chookrat said:

I'd rather we field our best side and win most games in the second half of the season and finish in 9th place with our best team getting used to playing together than not have this and recieve a top 3 draft pick. 

Couldn't agree more. As I have mentioned before no one will want to be playing us when we get most of the troops back and get some consistency in playing together. Come home with a bang which augers well for us next year with hopefully no or limited operations in off season and get back into a full preseason with all fit and firing. In addition we will still get a high draft pick finishing 9 or 10.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, bandicoot said:

You must be both uneducated and delusional if you think they will drop Tmac. Thanks goodness you have no say in our selection process. 

Drop garlett? He kicks 3.2 and has his best game to 2 years and you want to drop him. 

You have no idea... 

Thank goodness you don't or you would have your head buried 20 feet in the sand (yes it's obviously that big!) and be playing T-mac for the rest of the season for little return with no chance to regain some composure/form and confidence by spending a few weeks at Casey.

Great clubs do it.  I'm not sure why you feel we are too special to use the VFL as a form assist?

As i said,  Jeffy stays but only for the reason stated.  Best of a bad bunch until / if we recruit better (a separate  question in itself).  Not sure why or how you think Jeffy, in his twilight years and running at about 50% vs a so so 2018, is going to help win us a premiership but anyway.  You are obviously a very easily pleased MFC supporter Bandi.  Each to their own.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1

Jeffy Garlett, what can you say?  what would Goody be thinking?

how is it possible I both love and hate the man??

he kicks 3 including a cracking one-two with Spargs. but at the same time misses the easiest of CHEST MARKS to snap home the victory. then doesnt attack the footy and can't kick straight from 25m (not alone there).  he has to be the most infuriating player to watch.  so good and so bad.

do you compromise team standards by playing him as he is so good or drop him?  

• Like 3

How good is it when we lose like that and our season is finished and yet we have a week of great excitement coming up and a chance to inflict some pain on our favourite foe.

I know we often say it's along night coming up at selection, but I'd love to be on the panel this week just listening to the rhetoric.

I have eight players who could come in - four of whom I regard as certainties if they prove their fitness. And yet i've got to say that the performance and run by our mids last week in Darwin was the best we've had all season.

My four certain ins are Lever, May, Salem and Hore - all defenders. Three of my omissions come from our defensive group against Adelaide.

O.Mac - yes there needs to be a full enquiry if he is not played as a forward in the VFL - that is his only chance to make it now and it's why we recruited him in the first place.

Wags - he's actually been quite serviceable in the past six weeks but he's just not quite quick enough to be a gun rebounder and he's not quite tall enough to play as a big and he's not quite a long enough kick to be a linebreaker either.

Stretch - He drew the defensive straw last week and I thought his positioning was very good and if it wasn't for the four coming back, then I'd be happy to see him get another go back there as we need a right foot kicking runner coming out of there to break up our predictable left side forays. 

That leaves seven backs (one off the bench) for the Pies six De Goey (Hibberd), Stevo (Salem), Hoskin-Ell (Frost), Mihocek (Lever), Reid (May), Thomas (Hore) and Varcoe/Pendles (Fritsch) drift.

I thought our mids were great on Saturday and I reckon they will relish the challenge against the midfield that many now rate as the best.

Oliver will again be tagged, this time by Greenwood and hopefully he doesn't give up like he did against de Boer and shows his maturity and tries to work through it. Hopefully Olly sets himself a target of 10 tackles and ignores his lack of numbers in other areas. I'd also start him on the bench, just to force Bucks into some quick rearranging. Two players must be manned closely - Pendles and Sidey.  I just reckon it's time we gave Angus the extra task of negating a player - Pendles ain't quick so I'd be putting it on Angus to negate him. Then a decision has to be made on whether Harmes goes to Sidey or we give the job to the EverReddy battery. It's one for the match committee but given how poor Treloar can be kicking under pressure, then I'd place Harmes on Treloar and risk sending Baker to Sidey. That leaves Jonesy for his old mate Beams and our other super runner in JKH playing on their fittest bloke (Phillips). Viney has  a date with Adams as usual.

Some will argue that JKH should be dropped but I really liked his run last week and that was his second game back after one week in the VFL. Sure his kicking was a little off in the greasy conditions after half time, but gee he presented well all game and is probably one of the best suited player to keep Phillips honest on our list - our star trio excluded. 

The Pies defenders are also quite big, so unless it's extremely wet, then we can't just play a bevy of crumbers like last week. Can you imagine the frustration if Moore is allowed to play on Jeffy or Spargo and just peels off and intercepts at will. Moore must be made accountable. That means we must play three bigs, unless it is majorly wet. It would be criminal not to play Weid again after last week's finish and Smith is doing a good job as our Mihocek style lead up man. So one of Jeffy or Spargo has to go. Personally I'd leave out Spargo, although i accept that he looked more lively last week than his previous outings this season.

The issue for our selectors is again to decide if T.Mac needs a two week rest (one bye) to get himself speed fit. As I've said all season, he missed almost all the 200m reps at the start of the year and did not do the leg drills he would normally do because of his turf toe and calf issues pre-season. The result is that he has lost all his pace (he never had a lot mind you) and it's cost us for 11 weeks now. T.Mac has amazing aerial judgment but his biggest weapon was his gut running and ability to work back and catch out defences. That's been non-existent this year. Two weeks of speed drills without playing may make a difference.

As a result I'd be considering Preuss because we need a player that forces Moore to be accountable and one that punishes a defender that drifts across his flight path. If Cox is recalled, the Preuss is a must because where he can help most is as a back up ruckman. Last year Cox murdered T.Mac when the Grundy/Gawn show was sent backstage.

Three other players also have claims for a recall. ANB has been unlucky after his starry game against Hawthorn, Lockhart is a goer but finding a spot for either of them is untenable this week. Jordy is also unlucky and would add smarts, but I can't see a match up for him this week unless Hore is again out. 

So that leaves:

Out: T.Mac (rested to get speed fit), Stretch, J.Wags, O.Mac, one of Garlett or Spargo

In: Lever, Hore, Salem, May, Preuss

B: Salem May Hibberd

HB: Frost Lever Hore

C Baker Brayshaw JKH

HF Trac T.Smith Hunt

F: Spargo/Garlett Weid Preuss

Ru: Gawn Harmes Viney

Int: Jones (mid), Hannan (fwd), Fritsch (def) Oliver (mid)

I actually reckon we are a chance this week, although if we continue to miss shots, then the best match-ups in the world mean nothing.

Edited by Deespicable
  • Like 3

On 6/2/2019 at 6:14 AM, Lord Travis said:

On form, Spargo is the least effective player in the AFL.

That's odd, because on Saturday's form, Spargo is thereabouts in relation to our other forwards e.g., second for goal assists, equal second marks I50, and laid more tackles than any of them except Geoffy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bing181 said:

That's odd, because on Saturday's form, Spargo is thereabouts in relation to our other forwards e.g., second for goal assists, equal second marks I50, and laid more tackles than any of them except Geoffy.

If you're a forward then at some point you have to kick goals. Spargo has one in five appearances this year. Hit the scoreboard or hit the bricks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

he kicks 3 including a cracking one-two with Spargs. but at the same time misses the easiest of CHEST MARKS to snap home the victory. then doesnt attack the footy and can't kick straight from 25m (not alone there).  he has to be the most infuriating player to watch.  so good and so bad.

Our forward line is the hardest to pick at the moment with individual and team form making it especially challenging. Garlett is the type of player we need, quick, skilled and can crumb at pace but he is wildly inconsistent. 

16 minutes ago, bing181 said:

Spargo is too small to offer any real pressure (any of those tackles actually stick?). He's great when he's got the ball in hand, very smart and good skills, it's just that he gets pushed off it too easily. The second for goal assists shows his smarts, but probably shows more so how bad our kicking for goal has been this year.

7 minutes ago, bing181 said:

Not sure where you got those stats from, as Hannan was the only forward to lay less tackles than Spargo (Spargo laid 2, another below average effort). Statistically, Hannan was our only player worse than him, and even he managed to kick a goal. Spargo has only kicked one goal from six matches!

For season 2019, Spargo is averaging less than 10 disposals, less than 2 tackles, 1 inside 50, 1 goal assist, and no score per game. He is currently ranked below average in every single stat except uncontested marks, where he is ranked average. Hannan aside, Spargo is the worst ranked player on our list this year. While his stats weren't great in his debut year, he did contribute with more goal assists and brought intensity and energy to the team. This year he isn't contributing, his intensity has disappeared, and he's a liability. We cannot carry a forward who doesn't get the ball, doesn't tackle, and doesn't score. If he retains his spot this week then we are officially tanking.

I'm excited to see May come in this round. Hopefully he performs well and starts showing us all why we gave up so much to get him. We need all the onfield leadership we can get, and as a 27 year old former captain I expect him to contribute to our leadership immediately.

Just in case we lose.

One day before I die I will see one in colour

Watch "1964 VFL Grand Final (Part 2 of 2)" on YouTube

The commentary was so much better back then.

• Love 1

20 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

all why we gave up so much to get him. We need all the onfield leadership we can get, and as a 27 year old former captain I expect him to contribute to our leadership immediately.

Hope he goes well. He didnt show much leadership in getting reported b4 seasons start but maybe we need some agro. We certainly need him.

If Tmac and Weid could get back their finals form and Lever and May are what we want them to be we could be a premier team.

Need a good  crummer and another decent winger. Hoping we can pick up a proven full fwd as insurance for the first 2 players mentioned.

2020 is the time with this list.

In the interim we have the world cup.

Edited by leave it to deever

56 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

How good is it when we lose like that and our season is finished and yet we have a week of great excitement coming up and a chance to inflict some pain on our favourite foe.

I know we often say it's along night coming up at selection, but I'd love to be on the panel this week just listening to the rhetoric.

I have eight players who could come in - four of whom I regard as certainties if they prove their fitness. And yet i've got to say that the performance and run by our mids last week in Darwin was the best we've had all season.

My four certain ins are Lever, May, Salem and Hore - all defenders. Three of my omissions come from our defensive group against Adelaide.

O.Mac - yes there needs to be a full enquiry if he is not played as a forward in the VFL - that is his only chance to make it now and it's why we recruited him in the first place.

Wags - he's actually been quite serviceable in the past six weeks but he's just not quite quick enough to be a gun rebounder and he's not quite tall enough to play as a big and he's not quite a long enough kick to be a linebreaker either.

Stretch - He drew the defensive straw last week and I thought his positioning was very good and if it wasn't for the four coming back, then I'd be happy to see him get another go back there as we need a right foot kicking runner coming out of there to break up our predictable left side forays. 

That leaves seven backs (one off the bench) for the Pies six De Goey (Hibberd), Stevo (Salem), Hoskin-Ell (Frost), Mihocek (Lever), Reid (May), Thomas (Hore) and Varcoe/Pendles (Fritsch) drift.

I thought our mids were great on Saturday and I reckon they will relish the challenge against the midfield that many now rate as the best.

Oliver will again be tagged, this time by Greenwood and hopefully he doesn't give up like he did against de Boer and shows his maturity and tries to work through it. Hopefully Olly sets himself a target of 10 tackles and ignores his lack of numbers in other areas. I'd also start him on the bench, just to force Bucks into some quick rearranging. Two players must be manned closely - Pendles and Sidey.  I just reckon it's time we gave Angus the extra task of negating a player - Pendles ain't quick so I'd be putting it on Angus to negate him. Then a decision has to be made on whether Harmes goes to Sidey or we give the job to the EverReddy battery. It's one for the match committee but given how poor Treloar can be kicking under pressure, then I'd place Harmes on Treloar and risk sending Baker to Sidey. That leaves Jonesy for his old mate Beams and our other super runner in JKH playing on their fittest bloke (Phillips). Viney has  a date with Adams as usual.

Some will argue that JKH should be dropped but I really liked his run last week and that was his second game back after one week in the VFL. Sure his kicking was a little off in the greasy conditions after half time, but gee he presented well all game and is probably one of the best suited player to keep Phillips honest on our list - our star trio excluded. 

The Pies defenders are also quite big, so unless it's extremely wet, then we can't just play a bevy of crumbers like last week. Can you imagine the frustration if Moore is allowed to play on Jeffy or Spargo and just peels off and intercepts at will. Moore must be made accountable. That means we must play three bigs, unless it is majorly wet. It would be criminal not to play Weid again after last week's finish and Smith is doing a good job as our Mihocek style lead up man. So one of Jeffy or Spargo has to go. Personally I'd leave out Spargo, although i accept that he looked more lively last week than his previous outings this season.

The issue for our selectors is again to decide if T.Mac needs a two week rest (one bye) to get himself speed fit. As I've said all season, he missed almost all the 200m reps at the start of the year and did not do the leg drills he would normally do because of his turf toe and calf issues pre-season. The result is that he has lost all his pace (he never had a lot mind you) and it's cost us for 11 weeks now. T.Mac has amazing aerial judgment but his biggest weapon was his gut running and ability to work back and catch out defences. That's been non-existent this year. Two weeks of speed drills without playing may make a difference.

As a result I'd be considering Preuss because we need a player that forces Moore to be accountable and one that punishes a defender that drifts across his flight path. If Cox is recalled, the Preuss is a must because where he can help most is as a back up ruckman. Last year Cox murdered T.Mac when the Grundy/Gawn show was sent backstage.

Three other players also have claims for a recall. ANB has been unlucky after his starry game against Hawthorn, Lockhart is a goer but finding a spot for either of them is untenable this week. Jordy is also unlucky and would add smarts, but I can't see a match up for him this week unless Hore is again out. 

So that leaves:

Out: T.Mac (rested to get speed fit), Stretch, J.Wags, O.Mac, one of Garlett or Spargo

In: Lever, Hore, Salem, May, Preuss

B: Salem May Hibberd

HB: Frost Lever Hore

C Baker Brayshaw JKH

HF Trac T.Smith Hunt

F: Spargo/Garlett Weid Preuss

Ru: Gawn Harmes Viney

Int: Jones (mid), Hannan (fwd), Fritsch (def) Oliver (mid)

I actually reckon we are a chance this week, although if we continue to miss shots, then the best match-ups in the world mean nothing.

Very interesting analysis and sound justifications.

I'd put Frosty at CHB with Lever on a HBF where the latter plays a good 'bob up' intercept across the backline - at suitable times in the play. He tends to know these moments to roam nearby rather instinctively. This would also harmonise with the intercept surprises provided by Hore - a great catch for the Team.

Fritsch should be subbed into the forwards, preferably near the big sticks as his direction of travel is effective coming into the main forward areas to the 50m line - after all, Fritto is a natural forward, not a backman IMO. 

Spot on with Brayshaw - a true 360-degree midfielder. I'd think it would be useful to have Clarrie on the bench for some rapid-action magic, releasing the tag and creating mayhem where possible. His kicking needs to be more specific in this role and to him, that should be rather obvious. Drop him (Clarrie) deep forward, too, for some fancy work at the drop.

Tim Smith may not be the classic CHF but by hell, he is a great target and straightens up what comes out from the midfield. For large parts of the Crows game, some of their big names had no idea. Smith was often free to lead into the ball or just lead to space - causing directional control from the midfielders for the first time this season. Looking forward to his namesake, Joel, coming in to duplicate the effort from the flanks. 

TMac does need a rest to recover lost form, but his mobility for large periods of the game would be handy. TMac would therefore be good starting on the bench and utilised, as needed, to break a Filth defensive array. 

Preuss must play, Cox or not. I don't want him to run distances, I want him to just run into Filth defenders when he is not supporting Mighty Max in a relieving ruck role. I'd also like to give him permission to take a few marks for the benefit of some good goals. At this pre-game stage, I'd like to know which Filth player is prepared stand his ground as the big fella was rapidly decreasing the distance between them in a straight line come 'approach of the ball' time. Let's hope Grundy is the one, or Treloar.

We would have to go Garlett again, opening our prayer books to assist him find some consistent form this week. 

OMac to Casey to open the Juicy Fruit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Radar Detector said:

Nailed it part 1.

Nailed it part 2.

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

Ok I'll add the third nail and agree!

Ok On Jeffy, He aint at his best and agree infuriating at times but he does as he has for a long period of time , find space, shakes an opponent and can kick freak goals.Out of sorts to a degree but still the flickers and embers of Magic remain . And still better than anything else we have got!

Hell you cant drop blokes in losing sides that kick 3 Goals!!

STAYS TILL END OF YEAR and reassess!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

O.Mac - yes there needs to be a full enquiry if he is not played as a forward in the VFL - that is his only chance to make it now and it's why we 

Thank you

Absolutely.

1 minute ago, picket fence said:

Hell you cant drop blokes in losing sides that kick 3 Goals!!

STAYS TILL END OF YEAR and reassess!

Do you think Jeff will be delisted at end of year?