Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Fans Behaving Badly?

What

The issue has absolutely zero to do with the ethnicity of the security guards. It has everything to do with how poorly trained and prepared they are.And i'll bet London to a brick they are really poorly paid. They just don't have the skills the job demands and that is not their fault.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, binman said:

The issue has absolutely zero to do with the ethnicity of the security guards. It has everything to do with how poorly trained and prepared they are.And i'll bet London to a brick they are really poorly paid. They just don't have the skills the job demands and that is not their fault.

I have never seen security at the MCG do much apart from stand around looking bored.

I often wonder if they know, for example, what the MCG conditions of entry are.

I'm sure that if security had been more  proactive at all venues over the years there would be a lot less bad behaviour now.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GM11 said:

I have never seen security at the MCG do much apart from stand around looking bored.

I often wonder if they know, for example, what the MCG conditions of entry are.

I'm sure that if security had been more  proactive at all venues over the years there would be a lot less bad behaviour now.

Absolutely. Clueless. Again, not their fault.

I sit at the top of the ponsford, usually in the back row adjacent to the bar/concourse area.

I have a loud voice that echoes, particularly when it is empty, which is the case more often than not. I'm never aggressive but I am pretty vocal.

When it is empty a couple of yellow coats  invariably stand near me. Neither them or i are quite sure why though as I never cause issues, never abusive and any by play with opposition supporters is usually good natured. But stand there they do, mute, until eventually, perplexed they drift away.

Edited by binman
  • Like 1

I listened to Gils press conference and the big thing for me was it showed for all to see that he is clearly out of his depth as CEO of the AFL. 

He issued an apology that in my view was given grudgingly. 

The big flaw for me was his comment that all grounds make their own decisions on security so AFL not involved.

Does he actually understand that the AFL owns Marvel so the afl is involved and he is by default the Chief of Marvel so the buck stops at his desk. 

But that fact is seemingly lost on Gil.

It is time for a new chief.

• Like 7
  • Angry 2

12 minutes ago, old dee said:

I listened to Gils press conference and the big thing for me was it showed for all to see that he is clearly out of his depth as CEO of the AFL. 

He issued an apology that in my view was given grudgingly. 

The big flaw for me was his comment that all grounds make their own decisions on security so AFL not involved.

Does he actually understand that the AFL owns Marvel so the afl is involved and he is by default the Chief of Marvel so the buck stops at his desk. 

But that fact is seemingly lost on Gil.

It is time for a new chief.

....but on the other hand he wanted to claim the plaudits for their endeavour to make it safer for fans & families to go to the footy.

Can't have it both ways Gill...

I vote for Gale...pity we don't get a vote.

Edited by rjay
  • Like 2

I'll summarise the unsubstantiated assumsions thus far:

- all 7/11 and service station workers are paid illegally, according to some unnamed inquiry

- all dark skinned security at the footy are "recent migrants" who have little knowledge of the game

- all footy security are poorly trained and don't have the skills the job demands

-young Indians dominate the security industry

Hmmmmm.......

2 minutes ago, rjay said:

....but on the other hand he wanted to claim the plaudits for their endeavour to make it safer for fans & families to go to the footy.

Can't have it both ways Gill...

I vote for Gale...pity we don't get a vote.

Well that makes two votes rjay but as you say I doubt they will accept our votes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

- all 7/11 and service station workers are paid illegally, according to some unnamed inquiry

- all dark skinned security at the footy are "recent migrants" who have little knowledge of the game

- all footy security are poorly trained and don't have the skills the job demands

Hmmmmm.......

Not sure what you cannot believe Mr. Shadow looks fairly accurate.

12 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Hmmmmm.......

Totally agree.

All nimby inner city greens are more concerned with sounding and appearing morally perfect than actually admitting the bleeding obvious.

Polynesians and Maori bros once dominated the security industry but now it appears to be Indian students for at least the last 2 or 3 years. 

Shock horror- most of the inverted comma statements you made are actually true.

Why are you concerned about the truth?

Edited by Biffen

19 minutes ago, Biffen said:

Totally agree.

All nimby inner city greens are more concerned with sounding and appearing morally perfect than actually admitting the bleeding obvious.

Polynesians and Maori bros once dominated the security industry but now it appears to be Indian students for at least the last 2 or 3 years. 

Shock horror- most of the inverted comma statements you made are actually true.

Why are you sqeaimish about the truth?

Ha! Clearly you dont read what you post Biff.

I bet you Jayden Stevenson's winnings you can't supply any real facts to back up these claims. 

And I thought only lefties made up fake news and alternative truths!

PS. Name calling and emotive sweeping statements. Well done. Trump would give you a score of 11 out of 10.

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 2

I heard some of Gil's press conference at 2pm today. He sure doesn't like being asked questions by journalists. He got very defensive and bristled at suggestions the fans were upset by the presence of the security guards patrolling the aisles. He said this practice had always been going on, for 20 years! and he made no apologies for making the football safe and family friendly. Well yes Gil, the security have been doing their little patrols from time to time (usually in the first quarter then you don't see them again), but not like we have seen lately. They look like prison guards keeping an eye on the trouble makers who may be a bit loud. 

He kept harping on about how it was the AFL's responsibility to make sure going to the football was a safe and family friendly experience. Then in nearly the same breath he placed the blame on the stadium management for being heavy handed. Which is it?

Yes, we agree it should be a safe and enjoyable environment, but you don't squash a flea with a wrecking ball. 

Here's a thought Gil. I have said it before and I will say it again. Increase the amount of alcohol free areas for fans, and do not have the alcohol areas immediately above the non alcohol areas, or we have fans being abused from above from others who have been fed too much alcohol. Perhaps alcohol should not be sold in the last quarter, because towards the end of the game the trouble seems to start.

Ideally alcohol should be banned altogether, just as smoking was. But that would mean a loss of money wouldn't it? Making football safe and family friendly? Sounds like lip service to me. Politician speak. The bottom line is always money.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Dame Gaga said:

I heard some of Gil's press conference at 2pm today. He sure doesn't like being asked questions by journalists. He got very defensive and bristled at suggestions the fans were upset by the presence of the security guards patrolling the aisles. He said this practice had always been going on, for 20 years! and he made no apologies for making the football safe and family friendly. Well yes Gil, the security have been doing their little patrols from time to time (usually in the first quarter then you don't see them again), but not like we have seen lately. They look like prison guards keeping an eye on the trouble makers who may be a bit loud. 

He kept harping on about how it was the AFL's responsibility to make sure going to the football was a safe and family friendly experience. Then in nearly the same breath he placed the blame on the stadium management for being heavy handed. Which is it?

Yes, we agree it should be a safe and enjoyable environment, but you don't squash a flea with a wrecking ball. 

Here's a thought Gil. I have said it before and I will say it again. Increase the amount of alcohol free areas for fans, and do not have the alcohol areas immediately above the non alcohol areas, or we have fans being abused from above from others who have been fed too much alcohol. Perhaps alcohol should not be sold in the last quarter, because towards the end of the game the trouble seems to start.

Ideally alcohol should be banned altogether, just as smoking was. But that would mean a loss of money wouldn't it? Making football safe and family friendly? Sounds like lip service to me. Politician speak. The bottom line is always money.

There could be a compromise. Ban alcohol from being consumed in the public seating areas. Leave it for corporate suites and the bars. I know that when I've been to Marvel (under an earlier name as I haven't been there for a few years) one of the reasons I didn't enjoy the experience was having people wander by slopping beer as they try to get to their seats. 

• Like 1

The way the AFL is trying to regulate fans is ridiculous. Normally I can't stand Joffa or anything to do with Collingwood, but I found a podcast interview with him where he makes some important points. If anyone's interested by sure to give it a look. 

https://ipa.org.au/ipa-today/the-young-ipa-podcast-episode-114-extended-with-joffa

Edited by AbsoluteUnit246

1 hour ago, AbsoluteUnit246 said:

The way the AFL is trying to regulate fans is ridiculous. Normally I can't stand Joffa or anything to do with Collingwood, but I found a podcast interview with him where he makes some important points. If anyone's interested by sure to give it a look. 

https://ipa.org.au/ipa-today/the-young-ipa-podcast-episode-114-extended-with-joffa

Hi Joffa!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, AbsoluteUnit246 said:

It’s a sad day when Joffa is a mouthpiece of reason on a MFC Demon Website. 

I feel violated. 

• Haha 1

On 6/17/2019 at 11:40 PM, Dame Gaga said:

Heard Terry Wallace on SEN this afternoon talking about the post match calls they took after the Blues-Dogs match. For 90 minutes no one called in to talk about the game. The callers were all concerned about the security guards patrolling the aisles at the ground. Some even left the match at half and three quarter time because they felt so uncomfortable. One caller said he was with his mother and they left the match to go home to watch it on TV. 

The problem with being so heavy handed with this way of doing things is that the people who do the right thing end up feeling terrible and intimidated. The aggressive drunks don't care who is around, they just carry on as usual. So is the AFL going to alienate all the 'good' fans and we will leave the grounds to all the so called 'bad' fans? There was still a fight between supporters at the end of the game anyway.

Two thoughts - Have the security at the back of the bays watching the crowds so they are not obtrusive (it is also annoying when they block your view of the game when they are doing their patrols), then we all know where they are so we can call on them for help if they are needed, plus they can observe the fans just as well from there.

Either increase the alcohol free areas for people who want to enjoy the football with their children and families, or even by themselves, without drinkers next to them (another annoying thing about these people always getting beer-they move up and down while the game is being played and also block your view of the game). OR- SHOCK. BAN alcohol totally, if the supporters can't be trusted to behave.  I know this won't happen, because there is money involved. That seems to be the number one priority for everything now.

Prohibiting alcohol takes away from fans who 'do the right thing' as well. I don't believe in blaming alcohol helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, red&blue1982 said:

Prohibiting alcohol takes away from fans who 'do the right thing' as well. I don't believe in blaming alcohol helps.

I agree with you in that with most things the people who do the right thing are punished because of the irresponsible minority. Perhaps as I pointed out the alcohol free areas could be increased. I have been going to the football a long time and whenever I have attended our 'home' games but not been able to sit in our reserved seat area, the experience of sitting with opposition supporters who drink throughout the game is not a comfortable experience. I am sure there are plenty of fans who enjoy the football while having a quiet drink with their friends. Unfortunately it's the loud obnoxious ones who make it bad for everyone else. It is a difficult problem. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dame Gaga said:

I agree with you in that with most things the people who do the right thing are punished because of the irresponsible minority. Perhaps as I pointed out the alcohol free areas could be increased. I have been going to the football a long time and whenever I have attended our 'home' games but not been able to sit in our reserved seat area, the experience of sitting with opposition supporters who drink throughout the game is not a comfortable experience. I am sure there are plenty of fans who enjoy the football while having a quiet drink with their friends. Unfortunately it's the loud obnoxious ones who make it bad for everyone else. It is a difficult problem. 

I think there needs to be more sophisticated methods used to ensure fans treat other fans with respect. 

Perhaps replace the wages for the new crowd behavioural officers (watch dogs) with wages for a team of people who conduct surveys pre and post gameday about their experience. This is just a quick thought that came to mind as an example.

I don't really care what the method is, but i assume it's better to work with fans rather than alienating or punishing them.

• Thanks 1

Kennett - need about 5 million more of his kind in this nanny state. What he said is dead right. How we celebrate and watch sport is uniquely Australian and it’s getting changed by PC police and immigrant security guards who have NFI - and nor should they . They didn’t grow up following footy like we did. They can’t be expected to understand the nuances of our culture - but equally so, it shouldn’t be a capital offense to point that fact out. 

50 minutes ago, red&blue1982 said:

I think there needs to be more sophisticated methods used to ensure fans treat other fans with respect. 

Perhaps replace the wages for the new crowd behavioural officers (watch dogs) with wages for a team of people who conduct surveys pre and post gameday about their experience. This is just a quick thought that came to mind as an example.

I don't really care what the method is, but i assume it's better to work with fans rather than alienating or punishing them.

How about leaving it alone! The game is Fine. The media jump on the odd fight but it’s been going on for decades. 99% of the time it’s not a problem.

20 minutes ago, Fitz Fitzpatrick said:

Kennett - need about 5 million more of his kind in this nanny state. What he said is dead right. How we celebrate and watch sport is uniquely Australian and it’s getting changed by PC police and immigrant security guards who have NFI - and nor should they . They didn’t grow up following footy like we did. They can’t be expected to understand the nuances of our culture - but equally so, it shouldn’t be a capital offense to point that fact out. 

Mmm.. 5 million Jeff Kennett's... yuk! One is more than enough. Hehe. I get your point and agree.

On 6/12/2019 at 8:16 PM, Demonland said:

Wonder how long until Joffa caves in. The AFL certainly won't blink first. 

Just happens to be a colon wood bye week ?

And as for not being allowed to boo re disability - does Gill class incompetence and poor vision as disabilities?